Open Carry in NC - Permit Required?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry in NC - Permit Required??

ncglock19
01-28-2010, 23:31
I've been exploring the rest of the sight. A lot of good posts and plenty of good reading.

While reading through the "Tales of Open Carry" I ran across posts where either shopkeepers or LEOs have asked the people exercising OC for a permit to prove they have the gun legally.

I'm not sure if I'll ever do OC, but I was wondering what kind of proof of ownership or permit we need to show if we're stopped. When I bought my 19 from a local store, I was not knowledgeable enough to ask. They kept the pistol permit that I got from the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

Do I need a permit, and if so, where can I get it?

joe

NC Bullseye
01-29-2010, 00:07
No permit needed, anyone asking for one is either confused or confrontational. The only permit other than a CHP is what you gave for your G19. That's the way the system works for pistol purchases.

As for proof that you got it legally, it's pretty much up to the LEO to prove it's not legal. He can run the serial and see if it's stolen. Otherwise it's a non issue.

kirgi08
01-29-2010, 02:12
There is a statute,"Going armed to the terror of the public".LEO can ask you "where are you goin/doin" ect.NC is OC and I've been doin so for years.'08.

ETA,what part of NC are you in?,you don't havta be specific.

ncglock19
01-29-2010, 07:36
ETA,what part of NC are you in?,you don't havta be specific.

Wake County near Apex, NC.

joe

Thx-1138
01-29-2010, 10:10
Wake County near Apex, NC.

joe

One caveat:

The state preemption law permits local municipalities to regulate the display of firearms on public streets, sidewalks, and parks (and furthermore specifically permits local municipalities to pass laws permitting the posting of 'no concealed carry' signs at parks and public buildings).

So, if you OC, you MUST be aware of the specific laws in every city that you go to.

Since you live in Wake County, you need to be aware that Cary, for example, has a 'no open carry' law on the books. You can't OC on public streets, sidewalks, or parks.

This isn't quite as onerous as it could be, especially if you have a CCH Permit. The CCH permit will cover you if you're in a vehicle. Openly Carrying while in a vehicle is not something I'd like to try in NC; IIRC, without a CCH, you need to keep it locked up or unloaded in plain sight.

Say, for example, that you go to Crossroads Mall. Your CCH covers you while you drive down the road to the mall. You get out at... oh, Chik-Fil-A, OCing. You can go there, walk to Red Lobster, Pier One, etc.... All fine, because you're on private property. If you walked across Walnut St. to McDonald's or across Caitboo St. (which I think is publicly maintained) to Starbuck's, you'd be breaking the law, because you'd then be OCing on a public street.

I'm pretty sure that Chapel Hill has similar laws. Call each city's police department to find out for sure.

ncglock19
01-29-2010, 12:07
Sounds like I just need to get the CC asap. I was nervous when I brought my 19 home from the store. I just knew I'd get stopped and LEO would want to know why I had a new pistol and no ammo in the back of my SUV, that I could get to by jumping into the back seat, pulling them down and going into the back area. :supergrin:

joe

NC Bullseye
01-29-2010, 13:01
You ought to take your class next week! :supergrin:

Thx-1138
01-31-2010, 09:56
Sounds like I just need to get the CC asap. I was nervous when I brought my 19 home from the store. I just knew I'd get stopped and LEO would want to know why I had a new pistol and no ammo in the back of my SUV, that I could get to by jumping into the back seat, pulling them down and going into the back area. :supergrin:

joe

My wife was scheduled to take her class today, but we got snowed out. Her instructor is in Fuquay-Varina; he has small classes (about 4 students at a time, and everybody gets one-on-one time at the range). His prices are quite reasonable.

I can't vouch for the info in the actual classes, but I've talked to him a bunch, and he seems like he has his head on straight, is accommodating to student's needs, and goes the extra mile to teach additional stuff not required if there is time left at the end of the day.

If you're interested in his contact info, send me a PM.

NC Bullseye
01-31-2010, 12:36
Thursday is open for a one on one class in the foothills area so far. :whistling:

Edited: Class full, let me know if I can help you out later.

southernreign
01-31-2010, 16:29
I've been exploring the rest of the sight. A lot of good posts and plenty of good reading.

While reading through the "Tales of Open Carry" I ran across posts where either shopkeepers or LEOs have asked the people exercising OC for a permit to prove they have the gun legally.

I'm not sure if I'll ever do OC, but I was wondering what kind of proof of ownership or permit we need to show if we're stopped. When I bought my 19 from a local store, I was not knowledgeable enough to ask. They kept the pistol permit that I got from the Wake County Sheriff's Office.

Do I need a permit, and if so, where can I get it?

joe

I too am a big OC, I also have my CCW permit. I open carry where-ever I can. Just with the point of getting people use to seeing people with a gun and the gun not 'just going off'.
Good old 2A!!!
I have NEVER had anyone ask me for a permit or whether I was 'allowed' to have a gun either.
I think if you 'look like trouble'... (you can translate that anyway you seem fit too) people will probably treat you that way.

People seem to make comments like... ":shocked:Nice gun!", ":wow:Is that a GLOCK?", or the most interesting one... "Are you in law enforcement?" which I respond, "(duh) :dunno:No, why do you ask?" which always leads to a fun conversation.:embarassed:

southernreign
01-31-2010, 16:31
One caveat:

The state preemption law permits local municipalities to regulate the display of firearms on public streets, sidewalks, and parks (and furthermore specifically permits local municipalities to pass laws permitting the posting of 'no concealed carry' signs at parks and public buildings).

So, if you OC, you MUST be aware of the specific laws in every city that you go to.

Since you live in Wake County, you need to be aware that Cary, for example, has a 'no open carry' law on the books. You can't OC on public streets, sidewalks, or parks.

This isn't quite as onerous as it could be, especially if you have a CCH Permit. The CCH permit will cover you if you're in a vehicle. Openly Carrying while in a vehicle is not something I'd like to try in NC; IIRC, without a CCH, you need to keep it locked up or unloaded in plain sight.

Say, for example, that you go to Crossroads Mall. Your CCH covers you while you drive down the road to the mall. You get out at... oh, Chik-Fil-A, OCing. You can go there, walk to Red Lobster, Pier One, etc.... All fine, because you're on private property. If you walked across Walnut St. to McDonald's or across Caitboo St. (which I think is publicly maintained) to Starbuck's, you'd be breaking the law, because you'd then be OCing on a public street.

I'm pretty sure that Chapel Hill has similar laws. Call each city's police department to find out for sure.

HEY BTW...Most malls are posted "No Firearms"..&.. Red Lobster serves alcohol so they are off limits to OC and CC....

MaximaDrvr
01-31-2010, 23:56
All of your questions about OC can be answered here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/

I OC in Raleigh regularly.
If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or post here.

ncglock19
02-01-2010, 09:14
Maxima-

That's a great site. I've marked it for future reference. I live in the Apex-Cary area. Does that mean I'm breaking the law when I drive from my house to the range in Raleigh or Holly Springs because I use the road? Sounds like we need to get Cary to change their laws.

joe

PS. I was wondering if this was you on the right end in the photo. :cool:

Thx-1138
02-01-2010, 10:36
HEY BTW...Most malls are posted "No Firearms"..&.. Red Lobster serves alcohol so they are off limits to OC and CC....

Well, you could walk TO Red Lobster, but you couldn't go inside. :embarassed:

As far as posting is concerned, Crossroads Mall isn't; the only posted sign I've seen is at Dick's Sporting Goods; it says something about notifying the manager or checking our guns with somebody. Last time I did that, they told me that the rule didn't apply to CC weapons; I don't shop there very often, so read the sign yourself and respond appropriately.

MaximaDrvr
02-01-2010, 19:43
Maxima-

That's a great site. I've marked it for future reference. I live in the Apex-Cary area. Does that mean I'm breaking the law when I drive from my house to the range in Raleigh or Holly Springs because I use the road? Sounds like we need to get Cary to change their laws.

joe

Technically, if you are leaving from, or driving through, Cary you should have your gun unloaded and in your trunk if you don't have your CHP.
If you take 64/tryon to PDHSC, then you should be fine the entire way to OC.

If you are OCing in your vehicle, you can have it loaded and ready to go, just make sure it is plainly visible. Depending on your vehicle that can be the passenger seat, center console, or dash tray.

Eagle22
02-02-2010, 07:22
Just dont drive like an idiot to attracted attention of the LEOs.