Installing a scope side rail [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing a scope side rail

nobody123
01-29-2010, 07:44
How does one install a scope side rail?

dglockster
01-29-2010, 08:54
I have read about this on other sites and the opinion seems to be don't do it yourself. Have it done by a gunsmith who specializes in AK rifles because the leveling and aligning the side rail mount is so critical.

TedG954
01-29-2010, 09:23
Check out Scout Scope mounts.

http://www.scoutscopes.com/

I have one and it works great.

LanceS4803
02-04-2010, 13:04
I've installed a few.
If you aren't interested in authenticity, you can go with a screw mount. (I've only done riveted mounts.)
IF (and this is a big IF) you get the correct mount, the alignment is fairly straigt forward as the rearmost rivet is the same as that of the rear trunnion. So, that location is taken care of.
The other mount rivets are placed so that the mount holes are in the correct position based on the existing receiver pins. Still, some room for error there but nothing that can't be accomodated with scope adjustment.
Like dglockster said, alignment is critical and self installation is not for the faint of heart.

Jmzzl
02-04-2010, 14:22
They're fairly easy to install, but like others said, alignment is critical. However, if you're using a red dot or something similar, I don't think it's too big of an issue, as you can get a larger range of adjustment from one if I'm not mistaken.

pascal
02-05-2010, 08:37
Bought a Kalinka side rail mount. Fit very tight. Had to do a little filing, making sure to keep it tight, adjusted quick detach lever for strong tension. Put on red dot and good to go. Still a little tight when removing or reinstalling, but don't need a hammer. Haven't tried to test it holding zero after removal yet.
pascal