Which Eotech?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Eotech?!

elk2112
01-29-2010, 11:05
Ok, I've been reading alot about Eotechs, and still cannot figure out which would be the best for my AR-15 flattops. Have been laboring over this decision for months and just want to get one!

Didn't like the sight picture with the XPS, returned it.

Considering just going with the 512 or 552. Not sure I really need night vision (am not military or law enforcement). Guess it would be nice to have the option though. Would like to have magnification in the future.

The 557 appears to be specifically made for .223, but has the 7mm raised base. Is the raised base necessary for a flattop or is it just a preference/comfort thing?

Have a 16" flattop with adjustable stock. Also have a 20" flattop with A2 stock. Would like to have Eotech to swap between the 2, and eventually save the money to get an ACOG for the 20", and leave the Eotech on the 16".

Any suggestions?

NeverMore1701
01-29-2010, 11:08
They all have pretty much the same "sight picture". The XPS are the best of the lot.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2010, 11:13
What NeverMore' said,......

Whick model XPS did you have? What reticle?

beretta-neo
01-29-2010, 11:36
Yes - if you get the right XPS - it will have the same exact reticle as the other models.

I got one in yesterday, and the reticle is identicle to my 511. I did NOT get the one with the two dots.

ezterra
01-29-2010, 11:44
If you plan on getting a magnifier in the future make sure you get a model with the raised base. I believe the 516, 556, 553 and 557 have the raised base. Not sure. What the XPS models have. Everything lines up better and, for me, I get a better cheek weld with a raised model. I was issued a 553 for my deployment, and I love it. I have a 512 on my personal AR and want to replace it. I don't have the cash for a 553 so I'm planning on getting a 516.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2010, 12:04
The XPS2-0 is the model that has the same reticle as the 512.
65 moa circle with a center dot

beretta-neo
01-29-2010, 13:07
The XPS2-0 is the model that has the same reticle as the 512.
65 moa circle with a center dot

Yes indeed :)

EOtech showed a model at shotshow with a raised base. In the meantime, I have seen some larger aftermarket bases you could probably get to work for now.

I don't need the base. I don't really need a magnifier, as it adds weight to the weapon. And, the things cost too much for a magnifier.

akgunnut
01-29-2010, 15:05
I personally went with the 512 for my M&P15 as I like the idea of using AA batteries which can be found anywhere. Night vision wasn't important to me so I didn't see a need to dish out the extra funds for something I will never or rarely use.

beretta-neo
01-29-2010, 15:32
Well, the potential of having that battery cover is what made me go with the XPS over the 512. I figured I'd cover my bases better,a nd itw as worth the battery life tradeoff. The price difference wasn't that much - the XPS only costs a little more.

MrMurphy
01-29-2010, 16:13
Yeah.......none of them.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2010, 16:22
Yeah.......none of them.

I take it you're an Aimpoint kinda Guy?!

1811guy
01-29-2010, 17:00
Aimpoint rocks. The 59 cent batteries last a long time.

thunderbat
01-29-2010, 19:03
If the best thing you can say about your optic is that the batteries last a long time and are cheap...anyways the OP asked about the Eotechs. I have a 512 and am very happy with the setup. The sight is easy to zero, great at a variety of ranges, and the reticle offers many advantages over a single dot. BTW the batteries are AA liths at about $2 per year TCO.

faawrenchbndr
01-29-2010, 19:37
If the best thing you can say about your optic is that the batteries last a long time and are cheap...anyways the OP asked about the Eotechs.......

:rofl:

1811guy
01-29-2010, 20:31
If the best thing you can say about your optic is that the batteries last a long time and are cheap...anyways the OP asked about the Eotechs. I have a 512 and am very happy with the setup. The sight is easy to zero, great at a variety of ranges, and the reticle offers many advantages over a single dot. BTW the batteries are AA liths at about $2 per year TCO.

I have an Eotech 512 also for the same reasons as you. Just thought I would throw out the only advantage to an aimpoint.:supergrin:

lawman800
01-30-2010, 00:16
I went with the 517 instead of the 512. Same thing except the 517 has the controls on the left side so you can put it right up against the BUIS or have room to manipulate it when you have a magnifier up against it.

It takes the AA batteries and has a raised base in front to clear the handguard delta ring. It was also cheaper than the 512, go figure. I think I paid $404 shipped and I am waiting for my $50 rebate... if it ever comes.

I didn't think I would need NVG capability either but if you do, it's the 557.

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2010, 05:05
I'm plan on gettting the EoTech XPS2-0 :dancingbanana:

fivestar
01-30-2010, 07:10
I love my new XPS 2-0. I had a 516 but sold it off a year ago. I'm very happy to have finally replaced it, with something even better!

wingsprint
01-30-2010, 07:18
I went with the 517 instead of the 512. Same thing except the 517 has the controls on the left side so you can put it right up against the BUIS or have room to manipulate it when you have a magnifier up against it.

It takes the AA batteries and has a raised base in front to clear the handguard delta ring. It was also cheaper than the 512, go figure. I think I paid $404 shipped and I am waiting for my $50 rebate... if it ever comes.

I didn't think I would need NVG capability either but if you do, it's the 557.

+1 For the reasons stated above, I feel that the 516 or 517 (same item- 516 uses C123 batteries and the 517 uses AA's) are you best choices with Eotech

HogGlocker
01-30-2010, 08:50
I'm plan on gettting the EoTech XPS2-0 :dancingbanana:

+1..........the 512 is fine but I really hate the extra length when compared to the XPS2-0 and I like the transverse battery compartment much better....plus I buy 123 batts in large quantities due to my surefires etc........

I'm looking forward to getting it.

elk2112
01-30-2010, 16:50
Wow! I can't believe how many responses I got to this question. You guys are awesome! I know Eotechs are very popular, and don't mean to offend. But today I went to a Tanner Gun Show in Denver and looked at the 512. Same sight picture as the XPS I returned twice. It had the reticle with the one center dot. It just seemed blurry to me. And the center dot had a shadow. I showed my buddy who has perfect vision, and he agreed. I tried to look through it and across the room, and that helped a little not focusing on the sight picture but rather on the target. But, seems to me for that kind of money they could have a crisper sight picture, with one center dot. Either that, or I need to find another opthomologist! I'll check them out again next time I go to 5280 Armory in Denver, but I may decide to stay away from Eotechs.

lawman800
01-30-2010, 19:23
but I may decide to stay away from Eotechs.

You are banned!

NeverMore1701
01-30-2010, 19:55
I have perfect eyesight, and the reticule in every example (a dozen or so) that I've tried has been perfect. I think your vision plays a key role in how good the reticule looks (along with not having the brightness cranked up too much).

MrMurphy
01-30-2010, 23:43
i'm running a couple Eos at the moment for evaluatory purpose but I'm an Aimpoint guy.

Battery life, and sheer ruggedness.

KalashniKEV
01-31-2010, 08:50
Same sight picture as the XPS I returned twice.

It would never occur to me that you could "return" an optic after you take it out of the box and mount it... did you shoot it?

Battery life, and sheer ruggedness.

I think the EOtech is a much tougher sight... but that's only in my personal experience and goes against all netwisdom. Another topic for another thread...

SILVERBACK32
01-31-2010, 08:52
I personally went with the 512 for my M&P15 as I like the idea of using AA batteries which can be found anywhere. Night vision wasn't important to me so I didn't see a need to dish out the extra funds for something I will never or rarely use.

++11
also like the double a battery feature

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2010, 16:37
I've tried both in the past, as well as the TriPower.
I like the Aimpoint, but I REALLY like the reticle of the EoTech

Hard decision, you HAVE to listen the advice from members like Mr. Murphy.
Granted some of this is opinion, but he is a bit experienced.

Seattle206
01-31-2010, 16:46
I have the xps3 I really like it.

elk2112
01-31-2010, 21:22
It would never occur to me that you could "return" an optic after you take it out of the box and mount it... did you shoot it?

I think the EOtech is a much tougher sight... but that's only in my personal experience and goes against all netwisdom. Another topic for another thread...

No, I never mounted it or shot with it. Maybe that's the problem. I looked through the site after I pulled it out of the box, messed with the brightness buttons, looket through it at different objects at different distances outside. And the site pic was just wierd. I didn't want to put it on my gun and shoot with it for fear that I wouldn't be able to return it.

Once again, it was an XPS3-0 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/product.php?id=31&cat=4). I had the reticle with the single dot, 65 MOA.

The reticle was pixelated. The manufacturer sd that is normal, though they don't portray it on their website. But that didn't bother me. There was like a halo, or shadow, of the reticle slightly below and to the right of the reticle. And the center dot also had a shadow below and to its right. No matter how dim I made it, it didn't go away. I had my buddy who's vision is 20/20 uncorrected, and he concurred. I returned it. It's replacement was the same. The 512
I looked at at the gun show looked the same. I never mounted either on my gun.

I like how they are portrayed on the Eotech website. If the sight pic on the product I received looked like it did on the website, I never would have returned the first XPS3-0 I received and I'd be happy. And I'm sure I'd be as brand loyal as many of you are.

I guess I could take a chance, listen to what you all are saying, buy the XPS3-0 again, or whichever model, put it on my gun, and try to get used to it. But that's a lot of money to spend on something I'm not confident in. Plus, I've already paid return shipping twice, and their rebate promo is over.

KalashniKEV
02-01-2010, 09:06
I returned it. It's replacement was the same. The 512 I looked at at the gun show looked the same.

My honest recommendation is that you use an optic that doesn't run on electricity.

I guess I could take a chance, listen to what you all are saying, buy the XPS3-0 again

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Plus, I've already paid return shipping twice, and their rebate promo is over.

Where do you keep returning these things to?

Todesengel
02-01-2010, 17:31
go Aimpoint & don't worry about dead batteries all the time.

KalashniKEV
02-02-2010, 05:19
go Aimpoint & don't worry about dead batteries all the time.

If you go EOtech, you will have the opportunity to swap out at before 250-300 hours (on 12/20), b/c the reticle will flash and tell you it's time for new batteries.

On the M-68 you will find out your battery is low by a flashing reticle as well... it will disappear on firing and come back when it wants to.

So much for leaving your battery on all the time... "it's good for like... years bro!!!!" :upeyes:

250 hours is long enough for me. Plus the EOtech will power down at either 8 or 4 hours depending on which button you push, up or down. Aimpoint will stay on blast until you turn it off... or something turns the knob for you... or the knob falls off... (actually it stays on in that condition, and you can turn the little stick the knob is mounted to... ask me how I know!)

EOtech alllllllll daaaaaayyyy looooooong over the '68, homey!

Todesengel
02-02-2010, 05:31
LOL :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
02-02-2010, 06:28
Word,............

elk2112
02-06-2010, 15:29
Where do you keep returning these things to?[/quote]

OpticsPlanet.com

elk2112
02-06-2010, 15:33
What NeverMore' said,......

Whick model XPS did you have? What reticle?

XPS3-0 (http://glocktalk.com/forums/product.php?id=31&cat=1)

elk2112
03-03-2011, 23:37
Hi! I know it's been a long time since I started this thread. I never did buy another Eotech. But I finally shot my bro's AR with a 512 (I believe), and I loved it. Yes, the sight picture was a bit blurry up close. But I didn't notice it as I looked down range. I really enjoyed it! Gonna end up buying one after all. Just trying to decide on the raised base. I do know that I want the buttons on the side, it just makes sense, esp if I end up using a magnifier with it. Thanks again everybody for your input!

TSAX
03-04-2011, 02:35
XPS 2-0, 2-1, 2-2

Check out the reticles on this site which differentiate between the 0, 1 and 2 models.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-transverse-red-dot-site-non-nv-compatible-xps2.html?gclid=CIKtnKTNtKcCFRtVgwodQzRhCA

cowboy1964
03-04-2011, 10:41
I have the OPMOD version (it's basically an EXPS2-0). I like the raised base, even if I don't ever get a magnifier.

http://opmod.com/products.html

lawman800
03-05-2011, 12:15
Hi! I know it's been a long time since I started this thread. I never did buy another Eotech. But I finally shot my bro's AR with a 512 (I believe), and I loved it. Yes, the sight picture was a bit blurry up close. But I didn't notice it as I looked down range. I really enjoyed it! Gonna end up buying one after all. Just trying to decide on the raised base. I do know that I want the buttons on the side, it just makes sense, esp if I end up using a magnifier with it. Thanks again everybody for your input!

I use a simple 517 with the side controls. Love it.

glock22357
03-05-2011, 12:25
Wow! I can't believe how many responses I got to this question. You guys are awesome! I know Eotechs are very popular, and don't mean to offend. But today I went to a Tanner Gun Show in Denver and looked at the 512. Same sight picture as the XPS I returned twice. It had the reticle with the one center dot. It just seemed blurry to me. And the center dot had a shadow. I showed my buddy who has perfect vision, and he agreed. I tried to look through it and across the room, and that helped a little not focusing on the sight picture but rather on the target. But, seems to me for that kind of money they could have a crisper sight picture, with one center dot. Either that, or I need to find another opthomologist! I'll check them out again next time I go to 5280 Armory in Denver, but I may decide to stay away from Eotechs.

If you have an astigmatism, the Eotech reticle will be blurry.
If you have the reticle brightness too high, it will be blurry.
If you look at the reticle instead of your target, the reticle will be blurry.
And last, inside with crappy man-made light, looking at the the reticle instead of the target, it will really be blurry.

Take one outside and focus on something (not the reticle, the target) as if you were getting ready to shoot it, and adjust the brightness to an appropriate level. If it's still blurry, you have an astigmatism that's bad, and you need to use an AImpoint.