Help me mod my TRP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me mod my TRP

Glockernaut
01-29-2010, 14:04
Just got my first 1911, a TRP, a couple of weeks ago. The first couple of years of my gun life were spent trying to become accurate with the glock platform which I had decent success with ultimately. Because of medium size hands I would have to really focus on technique with the glock. The TRP just points and shoots right without much thought as to whether I'm milking the grip-it is unbelievable. This will not be my only 1911, and I will eventually get a semi-custom or two:supergrin:. I want to shoot competition soon. For now what modifications can I do to get the TRP closer to the PRO in terms of fit and performance? I would prefer lighter trigger(slight), but am wondering how much difference there would be between the TRP "Match grade" barrel and bushing and say a fitted kart or Nowlin barrel and egw bushing? What is the quality of the ignition parts and would you upgrade or just get work done on the original parts?

Thanks.

Jim Watson
01-29-2010, 14:10
The factory barrel is probably accurate enough for anything up through about NRA Sharpshooter.

The trigger can be helped. My SA went under 4 lbs with a gunsmith trigger job on the factory hammer and sear, no new parts except a sear spring and conventional mainspring. If it wears out I will buy milled parts for it but it is fine now.

What kind of competition do you have in mind and what does "soon" mean?

ronin.45
01-29-2010, 14:14
You can't outshoot the barrel that's in it. TRP's are made to very high standards. Get a good trigger job done and start playing.

HAIL CAESAR
01-29-2010, 15:54
Forget a barrel and just get a tighter bushing. That is if it really needs it. I bet if you locked it in a Ransom Rest the Springfield would shoot at least in the very low 2's at 25 yards with good ammo, which is more than good enough unless like Jim said you are a NRA Bullseye shooter.

glock2740
01-29-2010, 16:55
Congrats! That's one hell of a first 1911. I don't think anything needs to be done to the TRP. I could see changing the grips to something else for a different look, but I like the factory grips just fine.

Don-wayne
01-29-2010, 20:40
What kind of competition? The TRP will be more than enough for IDPA or USPSA as far as accuracy. You really don't need to do a thing. Since you are new to the action game I would leave the trig alone until you get confortable.

Glockernaut
01-29-2010, 23:20
What kind of competition? The TRP will be more than enough for IDPA or USPSA as far as accuracy. You really don't need to do a thing. Since you are new to the action game I would leave the trig alone until you get confortable.

USPSA single stack is what I was considering, but I want to practice for a couple of weeks before I do because I have been shooting polymer service pistols and small carry guns for two years. I was wondering how much of a disadvantage the TRP would be against semi-custom 1911's. Thanks for the input guys.

Don-wayne
01-30-2010, 08:24
No disadvantage at all. I use mt STI trojan and feel No one gun will beat me. Only better skills. My STI has some mods to play the game a little better,fiber optic front sight and a 2lb trig. When you feel more confortable with running around with a gun in your hand(finger out of the trig guard) then think about a nice trig job etc.... I also put a SVI single stack magwell on my gun for faster reloads. ALL in all the TRP is a nice chioce for single stack.

glock2740
01-30-2010, 12:52
I was wondering how much of a disadvantage the TRP would be against semi-custom 1911's.
The TRP is a semi-custom 1911.

Ruggles
01-30-2010, 13:15
I would buy more ammo and some mags (if you need them) and keep the TRP as is.

ambluemax
01-30-2010, 13:33
The TRP is a semi-custom 1911.

:wow::rofl::rofl::rofl: No, no it is not. The TRP is a very nice PRODUCTION gun.

The TRP is really good to go right out of the box for action pistol (that's why I bought mine). You don't need to do a darn thing to it. You have a very well put together pistol, with good sights, positive traction on the grip, a crisp trigger and a nice magwell. That's a sweet action gaming rig to be sure...especially for starters. You should see what a lot of other first timers show up with:wow:.

Skills matter more than equipment if you have decent equipment (which you do as far as the gun goes). Get a good holster/pouches and stock up on a few mags if you want to spend some money. Then turn on your favorite TV program and start practicing draws and mag changes during the commercials. Being good at running your system is more important than having a tricked out gun. If anyone shows up with a semi-custom (no one ever does at my club), if they are out shooting you its because they have skills superior to yours nothing to do with the gun.

Once you get some matches under your belt you will learn whether you desire further mods to your gun, and if you do, you will know exactly what you want (ie, you won't have to generically ask us).

glock2740
01-31-2010, 15:13
I guess you don't consider a Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown or Nighthawk semi-custom guns either, since they are "production guns" too huh?

up1911fan
01-31-2010, 15:35
Wilson, Baer, Brown and Nighthawk all offer several option's and will build it the way you want it, the TRP is a PRODUCTION gun, a nice one yes, but nothing more.

HAIL CAESAR
01-31-2010, 16:23
Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown, are all production guns, very expensive production guns made in limited quantities.

Only places that are custom shops are the places that you can specify every little detail. Like "I want a 38 Super Officer slide with Commander grip, EB TS, Wilson hammer, Baer slide, Colt frame, Kart barrel, ball cuts, french border, snake skin front strap, strippled MSH, Heine sights....blah,blah" or some crazy combo. Try that with anyone above, only Wilson might.

And true custom has to be a shop with master gunsmiths. Yost, Harrison, Rodgers, etc.....

Baer's, Wilson"s, EB, and even the Springfield Pro is a production gun. A gun that has a specific parts list and a model number is a production gun. The differance is quality, so of coarse a Wilson or Baer production is nicer than a production gun like the Springfield loaded.

glock2740
01-31-2010, 16:30
Wilson, Baer, Brown and Nighthawk all offer several option's and will build it the way you want it, the TRP is a PRODUCTION gun, a nice one yes, but nothing more.
True, but all 4 companies have standard production models. The TRP can be had any way you want it from Springfields custom shop.

glock2740
01-31-2010, 16:34
Wilson, Baer, Ed Brown, are all production guns, very expensive production guns made in limited quantities.

Only places that are custom shops are the places that you can specify every little detail. Like "I want a 38 Super Officer slide with Commander grip, EB TS, Wilson hammer, Baer slide, Colt frame, Kart barrel, ball cuts, french border, snake skin front strap, strippled MSH, Heine sights....blah,blah" or some crazy combo. Try that with anyone above, only Wilson might.

And true custom has to be a shop with master gunsmiths. Yost, Harrison, Rodgers, etc.....

Baer's, Wilson"s, EB, and even the Springfield Pro is a production gun. A gun that has a specific parts list and a model number is a production gun. The differance is quality, so of coarse a Wilson or Baer production is nicer than a production gun like the Springfield loaded.
True indeed. My point was that a TRP is considered a semi-custom, at least IMO. I'm not trying to start any arguments here, I'm just saying that the TRP is an above board production gun, that has some hands on from the factory. They're not just run down a conveyor belt and boxed up and shipped out.

HAIL CAESAR
01-31-2010, 16:43
True, but all 4 companies have standard production models. The TRP can be had any way you want it from Springfields custom shop.

The TRP is a production gun that you can have the Springfield Custom Shop work on.
The TRP doesn not come from the SCS.

What is a "semi custom"? It is not a custom. It is just a really nice production model, maybe.. But there really is no such thing in my book. It is a nice term to throw out there, but there is really no such thing.

And no 1911's are on a conveyor belt. But the TRP is moved work station to work station just like the Loaded or Milspec. It may be held to a higher quality standard like the more expensive Colt's, Kimber's, STI's do over there base guns. But a TRP is just a more expensive production gun than a Loaded, or GI, with different features and a bit more quality control.

glock2740
01-31-2010, 18:59
I was wondering how much of a disadvantage the TRP would be against semi-custom 1911's.

What is a "semi custom"? It is not a custom. It is just a really nice production model, maybe.. But there really is no such thing in my book. It is a nice term to throw out there, but there is really no such thing.

There. You two can argue over what a "semi-custom" is. I'm done.

MQ79
02-01-2010, 22:03
Here, read this article and decide for yourself what it is -

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/springfield-trp-45acp/?thisissue=features

chuckman
02-02-2010, 05:40
The deficiency in accuracy right now is you, not the gun. The gun, stock, is good enough for competition, and the 'tighter' you try to make it, the more unreliable it will be. Leave it alone and practice, practice, practice.