Rust on Moss 590? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Moss 590?

1time
01-29-2010, 15:30
I was in my local gun shop yesterday and they had a new 590A1 in stock. I was going to buy in but I noticed rust on the inside of the muzzle. Looking further I found surface rust coating the chamber.

Has anyone had problems with rust on thier Mossbergs or was this an isolated incident? It is a trusted gun shop so I know they are not trying to pass off a used gun as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxGun
01-29-2010, 18:31
You're absolutely sure that what you saw wasn't the brown preservative grease the most new guns come coated with? It can look like rust.

1time
01-30-2010, 07:18
You're absolutely sure that what you saw wasn't the brown preservative grease the most new guns come coated with? It can look like rust.

That's what the owner of the store said he thought it was grease. He took the shotgun in the back to clean it out. When he came back he said it was definitely surface rust. I have an 835 and have never had any rust issues with it but it is probably 15+ years old. I didn't see it on any of the 590's that came through the store. This is the first 590a1 that I've seen there and I was set to buy it until I saw the rust.

Victoriagotagun
01-30-2010, 12:27
No rust issues with my 590A1.

Mainsail
01-31-2010, 22:44
The 590A1 should have a chrome lined barrel.

STI
02-01-2010, 11:16
We have had this happen before, we traced it to the test firing or someone that loaded the weapon. It came from the sweat on moisture in their fingers on the round when it was loaded and not properly cleaned. I also saw a high dollar O/U shotgun that the owner had put in snapcaps to test the firing pins and not cleaned the chambers afterwards, they were very pitted after a year or so in a safe. He was shocked when he saw it.

Victoriagotagun
02-01-2010, 12:35
The 590A1 should have a chrome lined barrel.

590A1's do not come with a chrome lined barrel.

Tederrific
02-01-2010, 15:10
I believe mine had a touch of it when I bought it new. I just swabbed it out and made sure it wasn't pitted at all. I have found with all of my shot guns that they rust really easily on the unprotected inside of the barrel. Once I left my 500 barrel outside in cold weather. When I brought it back in the chamber ghosted over with surface rust within seconds of the warm air hitting it. I finally realized that I was going to drive myself insane over the issue. I just don't worry about it unless it starts to pit, but if it still has that near-mirror shine after I run a wet then dry patch through it then I consider it still good to go. It isn't as if it's a precision rifle.

You know, I have wondered why someone doesn't chrome-line their barrels...

dc2integra
02-01-2010, 17:44
whats a good way of prventing rust on your hotgun i just bought a mossberg 500a i get it in 9 days