Les Baer Thunder Ranch or Wilson CQB? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer Thunder Ranch or Wilson CQB?

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
01-29-2010, 15:50
Which one of these should I buy? I have always wanted a high end 1911. I like the Les and am leaning toward that right now. It is quite a bit less than the Wilson is. Are these guns in the same league? I always thought that Les and Wilson were in the same league, sort of like BMW and Mercedes so to speak. A matter of preference versus quality or value, both great just different. But in the same league just the same.

The Les Baer seems like a great pistol for the price they are going for. I am not opposed to buying either model used either.
Is this a proper comparison?

Thanks for any feedback here. Pics would be great if anyone else here owns the same weapons in question.

bubbaskyjacker
01-29-2010, 15:52
you seem like you have already answered your own question, there are more used baers out there that you can get for a good price.

AZ Husker
01-29-2010, 16:11
My choice between the two would be the Wilson. I've owned both and the workmanship is superior in the Wilson. I could never get past the over-tightness of the Baer. It's gone and the Wilson is still here.

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
01-29-2010, 16:15
My choice between the two would be the Wilson. I've owned both and the workmanship is superior in the Wilson. I could never get past the over-tightness of the Baer. It's gone and the Wilson is still here.

Too tight is not good to me. I dont want to have to take it down with a bushing wrench for cleanings. This is going to be tougher than I thought. There are worse choices to have to make though. :supergrin:

GJ1981
01-29-2010, 16:19
Do what I did and get both.

Honestly they are very comparable for performance. The CQB has a much better standard finish and you won't have problems should you have a warranty issue.

I'm not saying you'd have a problem with LB, it's just Wilson is known to have excellent CS.

I think it is really a preference issue, there are somethings I like from each.

The best thing, if possible, would be finding some to get your hands on.

drc767
01-29-2010, 16:40
I own both and I would say this. The TRS is a better bang for the buck...A flat out tack driver that is about as no frills dependable as it gets, and I don't need a bushing wrench to take down the weapon. The Wilson is more refined, but a few more bucks. I own both, but the TRS has become my EDC. You really couldn't go wrong with either. They are both excellent weapons.

gconan
01-29-2010, 16:49
I own both and you are in a win-win situation whichever you choose. I do not like the grips on the TR model's, but that is a very small item. Pick which one you like the best.

HAIL CAESAR
01-29-2010, 16:58
Get the Baer and a little lapping compound and a six pack of beer. Disassemble gun and use the compound with a bushing wrench to work the bushing in the slide till you can barely move it with your fingers. Do not have barrel in.

Now enjoy the new "custom" fit Baer with your buzz. Save yourself hundreds.

Don-wayne
01-29-2010, 17:05
I own both as well. I bought three more Baers and no more Wilsons. My Wilson needed to go back to Wilson and still wont feed all rounds My Baers(all four) will. The Wilson is more refined as in no tool marks etc but my baers are super reliable and accurate as can be. Baer gets my vote and my money........:rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
01-29-2010, 17:14
I own both as well. I bought three more Baers and no more Wilsons. My Wilson needed to go back to Wilson and still wont feed all rounds My Baers(all four) will. The Wilson is more refined as in no tool marks etc but my baers are super reliable and accurate as can be. Baer gets my vote and my money........:rofl:

That is not typical of a Wilson, but if I had a problem with a 1911 I would pray it was a Wilson because the service is the best in the industry.IMO.

Still I usually recommend a Baer if you are wanting a Government model.

MADBMW
01-29-2010, 17:23
Both companies make great 1911's. I owned a TRS, and a CQB compact. The TRS was stone cold reliable with everything, but I sold it to fund another project (wish I had not). The CQB had issues for me. It would not feed hardball, even after more than 500 rounds. The dealer made it right by refunding my money and Wilson contacted me in an effort to rectify the problem. If I were in the market, I would have no heasitation buying from either company. I did have a bad experience with my Wilson, but that is a statistical rarity so you can buy with confidence from either manufacturer.

Good luck in the hunt.

SIGShooter
01-29-2010, 18:41
Which one of these should I buy? I have always wanted a high end 1911. I like the Les and am leaning toward that right now. It is quite a bit less than the Wilson is. Are these guns in the same league? I always thought that Les and Wilson were in the same league, sort of like BMW and Mercedes so to speak. A matter of preference versus quality or value, both great just different. But in the same league just the same.

The Les Baer seems like a great pistol for the price they are going for. I am not opposed to buying either model used either.
Is this a proper comparison?

Thanks for any feedback here. Pics would be great if anyone else here owns the same weapons in question.

Having been an owner of both the CQB and the Thunder Ranch...

I still have the Thunder Ranch and the CQB is on consignment with my local dealer.

I have had problems with Wilson's CS. I used to own 3 of their guns...CQB, M4T and Border Patrol shotgun. The only thing that I have left is the Border Patrol.

I will say this about Baer...He is set in his ways. He forgets he offers a product to the people that want it a certain way. There are times he is unwilling to bend. However, when you order what you want, you get it. He is a very "Matter of fact" type of person. No BS just all business. Some people don't like that. Me, I prefer that in a person who offers a service I need. You won't get a run around. You'll get a yes or no answer. With that, you will receive the best CS they can offer you. If you mess up you own it...If they mess up they own it.

Both guns are great guns. I had the best service out of my CQB. Unfortunately it was short lived. After the 13,000 round mark that 110% reliability went to about 45%. The problem was fixed only after the gun went back to the shop 4 times in a 3 week period. For the amount I paid for the gun and the extra money I invested in it, I should have gotten 110% for the remainder of the pistol's life.

Me, I prefer the Baers. They are simple, they work, they are solid. No fancy paints or finishes. Just blueing and utter reliability.

My PII and TRS are the only 1911s I have. For now of course. I have a Stinger model on order now as well.

To be 100% honest with you, you won't go wrong with either gun. I can't say for sure why my CQB crapped out. But I can tell you, if it didn't I would have never bought the Baers. Of course, because it did, I honestly think that I have the best 1911s on the market.

GVFlyer
01-29-2010, 21:50
I also have pistols from both gun crafters, I really like my Wilson Combat CQB, but the next gun I bought after the Wilson was another Baer. My next 1911 will be a Les Baer Monolith.

Don-wayne
01-29-2010, 21:50
CAESAR

I did not get good service from Wilson at all. They just chalked it up to limp wristing. I own more than a few 1911s and don't have these issues with any other 1911 I own. The funny thing is I traded my Kimber supermatch in on the Wilson and wished I had it back. Im not a Kimber fan but that gun ate everything and was accurate and reliable. I don't know to many master level competiters that have limp wristing problems.

bac1023
01-29-2010, 21:56
Both are great 1911s.

I own a CQB, but have only handled a TRS. I plan on getting one at some point, though I already own a couple other Baers.

pmj
01-29-2010, 22:14
I have a TRS and very satisfied. I figured if the TRS is good enough for Clint Smith then it's definitely good for me. A Commanche will be next -

dakrat
01-29-2010, 22:43
I would go with the TRS, without the front cocking serrations of course (can only find that used)

MD357
01-29-2010, 23:00
I own two CQBs and a Baer TRS, to me.....Baer = better bang for the buck. Wilson is hands down a much better company and stands behind their product.

HAIL CAESAR
01-30-2010, 00:22
CAESAR

I did not get good service from Wilson at all. They just chalked it up to limp wristing. I own more than a few 1911s and don't have these issues with any other 1911 I own. The funny thing is I traded my Kimber supermatch in on the Wilson and wished I had it back. Im not a Kimber fan but that gun ate everything and was accurate and reliable. I don't know to many master level competiters that have limp wristing problems.

That just stinks. Let them have it!!

R0CKETMAN
01-30-2010, 07:10
LB is easily the better value and every much as good a pistol.

DAT85
01-30-2010, 07:24
Get the Baer and a little lapping compound and a six pack of beer. Disassemble gun and use the compound with a bushing wrench to work the bushing in the slide till you can barely move it with your fingers. Do not have barrel in.

Now enjoy the new "custom" fit Baer with your buzz. Save yourself hundreds.

+1
Spot on advice.
DAT85

Rinspeed
01-30-2010, 07:37
I would take the TRS over the CQB even if they were priced the same.

REKCUT
01-30-2010, 22:27
I currently own both a Les Baer TRS and a Wilson Compact CQB. Both are excellent 1911's and either one will serve you well.

That being said, my TRS is the best bang for the buck and is my personal favorite. It just feels better in my hand and it is so accurate it even makes my sorry butt look good!!!

As a matter of fact I plan to keep the TRS forever and the Wilson may be for sale soon.

REKCUT
01-30-2010, 22:32
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/AJTUCKER/busse20and20les20baer20005.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/AJTUCKER/IMG_2100.jpg

bac1023
01-31-2010, 15:31
Like the Springfield Pro, the Baer TRS is a semi custom I'd still like to pick up.

willowofwisp
01-31-2010, 20:46
Like the Springfield Pro, the Baer TRS is a semi custom I'd still like to pick up.

crazy john at proload was having a sale last week, u could of gotten a TRS for pretty cheap wlel cheap compared to normal prices LOL

bac1023
01-31-2010, 21:24
TRS's are much easier to come by than Springfield Pros.

Screaming .357G
01-31-2010, 22:03
LB TRS. No frills and just works.

HAIL CAESAR
01-31-2010, 22:46
Or you can buy a used Baer that the owner didn't love and didn't shoot very much (under 500 rounds) and just had kydex wear. Buy it for a song and some shiney beads then send it off to a master 1911 pistolsmith and this is what you get for under the cost of a new Wilson CQB...
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/_JBP1541.jpg

All this and Ionbond.

texdigger
01-31-2010, 23:16
I have had both (actually a couple of each one). I like Wilson ALOT better than Baer. Baers were too tight, not as nicely finished, and not as reliable!

PlasticGuy
01-31-2010, 23:38
I bought a full sized Baer and a full sized Wilson. I don't own the Wilson anymore. While the Wilson was better finished, every other advantage went to Baer. This despite the fact that the Wilson cost quite a bit more. The Wilson was a very good 1911, but I just didn't feel it was worth the price. The Baer is a relative bargain. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and if I do it will be a TRS. Go for it.

Batesmotel
02-01-2010, 00:07
My Baer is totally reliable. My Wilson had feed problems. Wilson service were total jerks to me. They seem to be great to everyone else but they basically told me it was a physical impossibility for a Wilson to fail to feed so I must be doing something wrong. A local smith fixed it. Ramp needed polishing and the chamber was too tight even for match standards. My gunsmith loves Wilson, he fixes lots of them.

MD357
02-01-2010, 00:39
They seem to be great to everyone else but they basically told me it was a physical impossibility for a Wilson to fail to feed so I must be doing something wrong. A local smith fixed it. Ramp needed polishing and the chamber was too tight even for match standards. My gunsmith loves Wilson, he fixes lots of them.

Yeah, I'm gonna pull up my boots on this one. :rofl:

HAIL CAESAR
02-01-2010, 01:14
Wow, never heard that many problems with Wilson's. Maybe they had a bad couple of months.

JDinNC
12-30-2010, 23:59
How is the trigger on your TRS's? Is it like super match crisp? How heavy? I hear Clint Smith say "I never saw a stopwatch in a gunfight" and "I never heard anyone complain about trigger pull in a gunfight." This leads me to think they probably didnt give the TRS the best trigger it could have. What do you all think?

WilsonCombatRep
12-31-2010, 07:52
If anyone has any issue whatsoever with any Wilson Combat product or Wilson Combat Customer service please contact me directly through the link on my profile or post it to the forum. Please do not send PM's. As a custom shop we take pride in an extremely low return rate but there is no doubt that things do happen or get lost in the shuffle.
We have a full-time presence on some other forums but will check-in over here from time to time to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
WCR

BuckyP
12-31-2010, 08:29
:popcorn:

Rinspeed
12-31-2010, 08:38
My gunsmith loves Wilson, he fixes lots of them.

One of you is full of sheet. :whistling:

Quack
12-31-2010, 08:39

Move over.:popcorn:

lawdog734
12-31-2010, 08:47
I got the :beer:

Hokie1911
12-31-2010, 08:48
If anyone has any issue whatsoever with any Wilson Combat product or Wilson Combat Customer service please contact me directly through the link on my profile or post it to the forum. Please do not send PM's. As a custom shop we take pride in an extremely low return rate but there is no doubt that things do happen or get lost in the shuffle.
We have a full-time presence on some other forums but will check-in over here from time to time to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
WCR

Did you come to this forum to apologize for the ADP too?

I kid...I kid. :welcome:

Hokie1911
12-31-2010, 08:49
Holy zombie thread.

ajgranda
12-31-2010, 08:49

Thanks,
WCR

Good to see you on GT WCR!! Anyone who knows anything about Wilson Combat, knows they stand by their product unlike anyone else!

knedrgr
12-31-2010, 09:03
better stock up on your ammo...dead threads are coming back to life. :rofl:

WilsonCombatRep
12-31-2010, 09:21
Did you come to this forum to apologize for the ADP too?

I kid...I kid. :welcome:

Here we go again.......:upeyes::steamed::supergrin:

WilsonCombatRep
12-31-2010, 09:22
Good to see you on GT WCR!! Anyone who knows anything about Wilson Combat, knows they stand by their product unlike anyone else!

Thanks AJ

I didn't come here to "commercialize" GT, but I know we have a lot of fans here. And if you are not a fan, well, we are like the BORG-resistance is futile!:wavey:

lawdog734
12-31-2010, 09:25
Thanks AJ

I didn't come here to "commercialize" GT, but I know we have a lot of fans here. And if you are not a fan, well, we are like the BORG-resistance is futile!:wavey:

If you send me a stealth, I'll be more than happy to convert.:wavey:

Hokie1911
12-31-2010, 09:26
Here we go again.......:upeyes::steamed::supergrin:

Hahahhahahaha. Sorry, couldn't help it. At least I waited until after Christmas this time: :rofl:

Glad to see you on this board. Lots of Wilson love here.

PlasticGuy
12-31-2010, 11:01
How is the trigger on your TRS's? Is it like super match crisp? How heavy? I hear Clint Smith say "I never saw a stopwatch in a gunfight" and "I never heard anyone complain about trigger pull in a gunfight." This leads me to think they probably didnt give the TRS the best trigger it could have. What do you all think?
I think it's perfect for a combat trigger. It's crisp and light enough for great shooting, but still requires an intentional act to fire a round. Doesn't seem significantly different than my Premier II, so I don't think you lose anything.

glock2740
12-31-2010, 13:14
I own both and I would say this. The TRS is a better bang for the buck...A flat out tack driver that is about as no frills dependable as it gets, and I don't need a bushing wrench to take down the weapon. The Wilson is more refined, but a few more bucks. I own both, but the TRS has become my EDC. You really couldn't go wrong with either. They are both excellent weapons.
You don't own both anymore. :supergrin: But I do(thanks to Dave for selling me his:cool:) and I think the Wilson is a more refined gun, as Dave said. But for the price, it's hard to beat the TRS in this comparison. But, also like Dave mentioned, you definately wouldn't go wrong with either. I will say, that if customer service was ever needed, you would be WAY better off going with the Wilson. All though, customer service would most likely never be needed with either. If you are ordering one, you'd better be in love with the features that the TRS comes with, because they ain't gettin' changed. Where as with the Wilson, you can pretty much get it exactly like you want it, which seems to justify a higher price IMO.

glock2740
12-31-2010, 13:17

Thanks,
WCR
It's about time you showed up over here WCR. Glad to see you on here and welcome to GT. :wavey:

SIGShooter
12-31-2010, 14:48
Thunder Ranch

I've owned 4 different Wilson guns.

Professional, CQB, M4T, Border Patrol.

I no longer own any Wilson product.

glock2740
12-31-2010, 15:15
Thunder Ranch

I've owned 4 different Wilson guns.

Professional, CQB, M4T, Border Patrol.

I no longer own any Wilson product.
What happened? Those are great guns and surely you didn't get 4 lemons in a row. Especially from Wilson.

rsxr22
12-31-2010, 15:28
Good to have you WCR!

SIGShooter
12-31-2010, 16:30
What happened? Those are great guns and surely you didn't get 4 lemons in a row. Especially from Wilson.

Professional kept losing it's thumb safety (Non-Ambi). Gun store sent it in 3 times to have it fixed. CQB went in for a tune up and when it came back it wouldn't feed or eject any ammunition I put through it. It went back 2 times after the initial tune up. M4T was advertised as Mil-Spec but it was far from that. Wilson decided to Armor Tuff the chamber and then treated me like a dumbass like I didn't no anything about guns. The border patrol was awesome for a shotgun. However, I decided after everything I didn't want to own another Wilson product.

glock2740
12-31-2010, 16:52
Professional kept losing it's thumb safety (Non-Ambi). Gun store sent it in 3 times to have it fixed. CQB went in for a tune up and when it came back it wouldn't feed or eject any ammunition I put through it. It went back 2 times after the initial tune up. M4T was advertised as Mil-Spec but it was far from that. Wilson decided to Armor Tuff the chamber and then treated me like a dumbass like I didn't no anything about guns. The border patrol was awesome for a shotgun. However, I decided after everything I didn't want to own another Wilson product.
That's hard to beleive, but if it happened, it happened. I wouldn't have had the gun store send it in though. I would have personally called Wilson and had them pay to ship it both ways, as they would. I'm not making accusations, but something about your gun store doing all the dealings with Wilson just smells funny to me. They are just the middleman. You bought it from them, but they aren't responsible for repairs after the sale. Wilson is. Sorry to hear about the issues though.

gconan
12-31-2010, 17:22

Thanks,
WCR

I am proud to say that I have never needed your fine customer service, for my CQB is flawless in 2500 rounds, with over a 1000 being hollow points!

Johan Beer
12-31-2010, 20:03
Love my Wilson shotgun and pistol. Both have been flawless.

But if they were not, I know it would be taken care of.

Good company.

extremist
12-31-2010, 21:30
I have 3 Baers (TRS, PII and SRP). I have (ahem) 10 Wilsons :) (including CQB, CQB Elite and Classic).

There is no way to compare the TRS to the CQB because they are not in the same "class". The TRS is a GREAT 1911, don't get me wrong I love mine. But with the CQB you get:

- MUCH better Finish standard (Armortuff)
- MUCH more refined operations (NOT overly tight, smooth as glass, and still accurate 1" at 25 yds).
- Much better "packaging" (range bag, DVDs, Test Target, Build Sheet, Manuals, etc.)
- MUCH better Customer Service.

But that comes at a price, about $400 street price higher for the CQB over the TRS.

The TRS is a great "first" custom 1911, easily obtained NIB for less than $1800. It is SUPERBLY accurate and will last a lifetime. But eventually you will have to get it refinished if you care at all about how your 1911 looks (like I do).

The more across the board comparison would be the SRP vs the CQB. In my opinion they are comparable. But WC Service will still always be superior to Les Baer as far as I'm concerned. While I have yet to suffer an issue with any of my .45 Baers, my fiasco with my 9mm Baer is legendary :rofl:

Just my .02 :)

Regards,
James

WilsonCombatRep
12-31-2010, 23:24

Well, it sounds like we bit the big one here. Part of my job is to make sure experiences like yours never occur. I am not sure how to respond but to say "sorry" that we let you down.

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 10:51
Well, it sounds like we bit the big one here. Part of my job is to make sure experiences like yours never occur. I am not sure how to respond but to say "sorry" that we let you down.

I bought the Professional when I first started getting into semi custom/custom guns. It was my first Wilson purchase. I had the gun shop send it in because I was new to the world of custom.

We actually talked on the 1911 forum in regards to my issues. After the 2nd time my CQB went in, I gave up on it. Though Nick was all over it, the gun was not fixed.

Larry Lyles, when he worked at Wilson, was my go to guy for all of my guns. He was also smack dab in the middle of helping me out with my issues when one of the senior smiths decided to become extremely unprofessional and started being disrespectful. I don't know if you worked at Wilson back in 2004-2005 but, to me, it's whatever.

No worries and you need not to apologize to me for someone else's actions.

Have a Happy New Year!

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 11:03
That's hard to beleive, but if it happened, it happened. I wouldn't have had the gun store send it in though. I would have personally called Wilson and had them pay to ship it both ways, as they would. I'm not making accusations, but something about your gun store doing all the dealings with Wilson just smells funny to me. They are just the middleman. You bought it from them, but they aren't responsible for repairs after the sale. Wilson is. Sorry to hear about the issues though.

It smells funny to you? WTF does that mean? If you've got something to say about it, say it. Don't TRY and say you're not saying anything, just come out and say it. I bought my Professional in Alaska, my first semi custom ever. I knew nothing about sending it in to Wilson. My gun shop sent it for me, on their dime without question.

Some of you guys really get wrapped up in the fact there's a rep here from Wilson. Stop slobbering all over the guy. Wilson has issues. Just like Baer and Brown and all the other gun makers out there.

I've had a discussion with the Wilson rep on another forum. All of the issues are documented at Wilson.

I'll tell you what, call up Larry Lyles at Night Hawk and ask him about it. He was right in the middle of it, involved in the phone calls on 3 way.

I've got nothing to gain from saying anything bad about Wilson. I've got nothing to gain by recommending another gun to someone else. I stated what happened to me, my experience. You come out and say it smells fishy. Bull****! You don't like what you hear, don't ask questions. You asked, I told you.

Have a happy new year!

Screaming .357G
01-01-2011, 12:00
TRS for the win!

glock2740
01-01-2011, 12:30
Gun store sent it in 3 times to have it fixed. CQB went in for a tune up and when it came back it wouldn't feed or eject any ammunition I put through it. It went back 2 times after the initial tune up. M4T was advertised as Mil-Spec but it was far from that. Wilson decided to Armor Tuff the chamber and then treated me like a dumbass like I didn't no anything about guns. The border patrol was awesome for a shotgun. However, I decided after everything I didn't want to own another Wilson product. No mention of you dealing with Wilson. Just your gun store.

That's hard to beleive, but if it happened, it happened. I wouldn't have had the gun store send it in though. I would have personally called Wilson and had them pay to ship it both ways, as they would. I'm not making accusations, but something about your gun store doing all the dealings with Wilson just smells funny to me. They are just the middleman. You bought it from them, but they aren't responsible for repairs after the sale. Wilson is. Sorry to hear about the issues though. Notice that I mention, that if it happened, then it happened. Never say you're not telling the truth and even say I'm not making accusations. The smells funny is referring to your gun shop possibly not getting the help you needed from Wilson. Notice that I say that I would have dealt with Wilson personally.

I bought the Professional when I first started getting into semi custom/custom guns. It was my first Wilson purchase. I had the gun shop send it in because I was new to the world of custom.

We actually talked on the 1911 forum in regards to my issues. After the 2nd time my CQB went in, I gave up on it. Though Nick was all over it, the gun was not fixed.

Larry Lyles, when he worked at Wilson, was my go to guy for all of my guns. He was also smack dab in the middle of helping me out with my issues when one of the senior smiths decided to become extremely unprofessional and started being disrespectful. I don't know if you worked at Wilson back in 2004-2005 but, to me, it's whatever.

No worries and you need not to apologize to me for someone else's actions.

Have a Happy New Year!
You finally mention, after the fact, that you did have personal contact with Wilson, after making it sound like you had let the gun shop handle everything.

It smells funny to you? WTF does that mean? If you've got something to say about it, say it. Don't TRY and say you're not saying anything, just come out and say it. I bought my Professional in Alaska, my first semi custom ever. I knew nothing about sending it in to Wilson. My gun shop sent it for me, on their dime without question.

Some of you guys really get wrapped up in the fact there's a rep here from Wilson. Stop slobbering all over the guy. Wilson has issues. Just like Baer and Brown and all the other gun makers out there.

I've had a discussion with the Wilson rep on another forum. All of the issues are documented at Wilson.

I'll tell you what, call up Larry Lyles at Night Hawk and ask him about it. He was right in the middle of it, involved in the phone calls on 3 way.

I've got nothing to gain from saying anything bad about Wilson. I've got nothing to gain by recommending another gun to someone else. I stated what happened to me, my experience. You come out and say it smells fishy. Bull****! You don't like what you hear, don't ask questions. You asked, I told you.

Have a happy new year!
I said exactly what I meant. If you can't figure it out, then you must be as stupid as you sound. Why don't you read your own posts before talking out your ass.
You go have yourself a Happy New Year too.

Hokie1911
01-01-2011, 12:32

GJ1981
01-01-2011, 12:54
How is the trigger on your TRS's? Is it like super match crisp? How heavy?

My TRS has an excellent trigger, I'd guess around 4#.

One thing I've noticed is trigger feel can vary dramatically, even from the same builder. I've felt some TRS's that felt like 2#'s and others that were smooth and in the 4.5# range.

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 16:02
No mention of you dealing with Wilson. Just your gun store.

Notice that I mention, that if it happened, then it happened. Never say you're not telling the truth and even say I'm not making accusations. The smells funny is referring to your gun shop possibly not getting the help you needed from Wilson. Notice that I say that I would have dealt with Wilson personally.

You finally mention, after the fact, that you did have personal contact with Wilson, after making it sound like you had let the gun shop handle everything.

I said exactly what I meant. If you can't figure it out, then you must be as stupid as you sound. Why don't you read your own posts before talking out your ass.
You go have yourself a Happy New Year too.

Pardon me…I didn't know I needed to explain myself to some quack on the internet.

Sorry Quack, no offense.

I answered your questions. Bottom line, Wilson isn't all it's cracked up to be. Do the research. There have been many complaints about them.

Hell, when I pay 1900 dollars to have a tune up, spare parts kit with parts fit and I get them back and the finish is flaking off and the parts don't fit…Well, I don't need to say much else.

Have a great one there champ!

Just for my future reference, I'll be sure to set up a full time line for your reading pleasure when I answer your question/statement/accusation.

Quack
01-01-2011, 16:06
How'd I get dragged into this? :animlol: I'm just sitting here eating popcorn waiting for the lock.

Hokie1911
01-01-2011, 16:14
How'd I get dragged into this? :animlol: I'm just sitting here eating popcorn waiting for the lock.

I often wonder the same thing...

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 16:19

I apologize to you all.

It kind of ticks me off when you get asked a question and then someone just comes out and basically says bull****…But they really aren't saying it…they're only saying it but in a round about way.

Bottom line, go with whatever gun you want to go with. Do the research and make the proper decision when choosing. Ask for other's opinions but don't get pissed off when someone has something bad to say about a particular manufacturer.

Quack,

Sorry I quoted you and went on with an explanation not pertaining to your post.

The reason you get dragged into stuff is because…well…those triggers you use. They're flat. :dunno:

Hopefully this thread doesn't get locked. OP, I apologize if I did crap on your thread. Just do the research before you go and spend a couple thousand dollars on a gun.

Quack
01-01-2011, 16:20
Just messing with u, I know what you meant.

glock2740
01-01-2011, 17:12
I apologize to you all.
Apology accepted. :)

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 17:58
Apology accepted. :)

Except you.

:tongueout:

Rinspeed
01-01-2011, 18:03
Except you.

:rofl:

Quack
01-01-2011, 18:14
Except you.

You're just angry because Sig has joined the ranks of Kimber. :tongueout:

glock2740
01-01-2011, 18:18
Except you.

:crying:

ajgranda
01-01-2011, 18:43
All I have to say about this is that I personally would trust WC with my $2500-3K over any other manufacturer (ok, maybe Guncrafters also). Just go over to the 1911 boards and you will see Wilson has by far the fewest complaints, especially in the last couple of years. Just look at NHC for example. Seems to me they have many more complaints and they sell half the amount of guns. They are still nice guns though.

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 19:19

sad, but EXTREMELY true

glock2740
01-01-2011, 21:13
Yeah, and we all know that Kimber makes a better 1911 than Wilson.

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 22:50

Talk to my wife about her Kimber experience.

That's a fun story to listen to. I'm not even allowed to say that name in the house.

SIGShooter
01-01-2011, 22:52

That was just low Quack.

You have been marked off my Christmas list for this year. I was going to get you a flat trigger...

rsxr22
01-01-2011, 22:54
That was just low Quack.

You have been marked off my Christmas list for this year. I was going to get you a flat trigger...

I'll take it!! 10-8 please!

knedrgr
01-02-2011, 00:42
I'll take it!! 10-8 please!

Wilson's are better. :wavey:

glock2740
01-02-2011, 02:43
Talk to my wife about her Kimber experience.

That's a fun story to listen to. I'm not even allowed to say that name in the house.
Damn man, yall just have some crappy luck with 1911's. :rofl:What happened with the Kimber?

Hokie1911
01-02-2011, 07:44
Damn man, yall just have some crappy luck with 1911's. :rofl:What happened with the Kimber?

Yeah SIGShooter...please tell us how much Kimber sucks too. Joe luvs him some Kimber so this thread will get really good. :rofl:

rsxr22
01-02-2011, 07:47
She probably dropped it and had the grip safety shoot through the plastic MSH. :)

bac1023
01-02-2011, 08:06

bac1023
01-02-2011, 08:10
One of you is full of sheet. :whistling:

:agree:

bac1023
01-02-2011, 08:13

:animlol:

Quack
01-02-2011, 08:18
So the radio commercial is wrong?

if you want the best handgun, get a 1911. If you want the best 1911, get a Kimber.

glock2740
01-02-2011, 11:38
Yeah SIGShooter...please tell us how much Kimber sucks too. Joe luvs him some Kimber so this thread will get really good. :rofl:
I do like my Kimbers, but my CQB and TRS are on a higher level. Plus, there are enough Kimber sucks threads on here to start a Kimber Sucks Forum. :)

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 12:08

Nope…I've had the best luck with 1911s. Just some of the manufacturers suck.

Her Kimber rusted the first day out to the range. Summer, sunny very light humidity. She called Kimber and the lady told her to pound sand. It's her fault the gun rusted and Kimber won't warranty it. For 1100 dollars, that gun should never have rusted.

Anyway, Les Baer and Springfield armory have been great to me. I've had the best luck with them without a hitch. Hell, my SA Micro Compact was a tack driver. Couldn't beat that thing if you tried.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 12:18

It's funny that you always pop up and interject your agreements.

My CQB would only run on Win Rangers and GS for hollow points. Nothing else to include the ammunition recommended by Wilson. I had my barrel replaced by Wilson for that exact reason. It still wouldn't feed Federal ammunition of any kind except ball.

I'll tell you what…You post a picture of one of your 1911s that actually has some wear and tear on it from carry and use and maybe I'll take what you have to say about 1911s with a little more seriousness.

I still find it funny that some of you don't believe that Wilson has issues. Of course, some of you die hard 1911 guys know waaaaaaaay more than anyone else here on GT because you have a million 1911s that you collect but never shoot. Well at least more than a mag.

drc767
01-02-2011, 12:47
Bottom line, Wilson isn't all it's cracked up to be. Do the research. There have been many complaints about them.

That is the exception, and not the norm.....Wilson has an EXCELLENT reputation for quality products and 1st class customer service. Sounds like you have a serious chip on your shoulder with Wilson. Too bad for you.....

Rinspeed
01-02-2011, 12:49
Sounds like you have a serious chip on your shoulder with Wilson.

......and Brian. :rofl:

drc767
01-02-2011, 12:58

Yeah....that kind of came out of nowhere. :)

Quack
01-02-2011, 13:17
I hate Wilson's too. i fired a full magazine out of mine today and there was only one hole in the target :whistling:

Fireman1291
01-02-2011, 13:24
Get the TRS...The highcut frame under the trigger guard feels GREAT. You can order a TRS without the FCS straight from Baer. Its a a cheaper, no frills, tackdriver.

quantico
01-02-2011, 13:56
Hope this helps as I am not choosing between the pistols you have mentioned. I would honestly suggest that my experience with ed brown pistols is simply excellent . I have found them just perfect out of the box with very high levels of quality. I would think that wilson combat would also make a good pistol for you. To be honest I have had some very bad experiences with the wilson combat shop. The pistol they worked on was not a wilson combat , and the work was sub par with what I can do at my house. When I called with some bug concerns they seemed really unresponsive.
I can't believe that that is normal service for wilson or else they would not be in business. I have heard many happy customers and have seen pistols what were well fitted and finished. I guess my issues with them prevent me from wanting to take a chance on a far more expensive pistol with them.

Les Baer has a good reputation and stands behind what they build from what I have heard. I am not a huge fan of a gun starting out super super tight and then it being broken in over thousands of rounds. I get the idea, but think that a well fitting gun can be made that only requires a few hundred rounds to get everything working together and that does not require tools to take the pistol apart. Maybe if I owned one I would understand that logic, but it seems out of the usual to me.

I run an ed brown executive elite in stainless and the pistol feels like it is running on roller bearings with light oil. The gun functions perfectly and has no rattles or loose fit, but also has no binding or issues being taken apart. My opinion is that the Ed Brown machine shop people have hit the perfect balance between fitted and smooth operation. The prices of the wilson and Brown and Baer are all fairly expensive. I don't know how many high end 1911's you are going to need, but I would rather have a couple of really high end pistols instead of a collection or 20 mixed this and that selection.

You need to get to a decent gun shop or meet some local glock members that will let you look over some real world pistols and see how the triggers and slide movement feels in your hand. You also are in a price area that might allow you to have a stock colt or springfield made custom to suit your exact requirements. Don Williams built me a custom for IPSC competition and it is extremely nice. The cost was not crazy and I love the results.

Many gun folks seem to buy and sell guns way more than they shoot them. In this economy you might also find someone that frankly needs to get some money out of their best 1911. That may offer you an opportunity to get and of the above pistols at a good discount from new.

Quack
01-02-2011, 14:16
Hope this helps as I am not choosing between the pistols you have mentioned. I would honestly suggest that my experience with ed brown pistols is simply excellent . I have found them just perfect out of the box with very high levels of quality. I would think that wilson combat would also make a good pistol for you. To be honest I have had some very bad experiences with the wilson combat shop. The pistol they worked on was not a wilson combat , and the work was sub par with what I can do at my house. When I called with some bug concerns they seemed really unresponsive.
I can't believe that that is normal service for wilson or else they would not be in business. I have heard many happy customers and have seen pistols what were well fitted and finished. I guess my issues with them prevent me from wanting to take a chance on a far more expensive pistol with them.

Les Baer has a good reputation and stands behind what they build from what I have heard. I am not a huge fan of a gun starting out super super tight and then it being broken in over thousands of rounds. I get the idea, but think that a well fitting gun can be made that only requires a few hundred rounds to get everything working together and that does not require tools to take the pistol apart. Maybe if I owned one I would understand that logic, but it seems out of the usual to me.

I run an ed brown executive elite in stainless and the pistol feels like it is running on roller bearings with light oil. The gun functions perfectly and has no rattles or loose fit, but also has no binding or issues being taken apart. My opinion is that the Ed Brown machine shop people have hit the perfect balance between fitted and smooth operation. The prices of the wilson and Brown and Baer are all fairly expensive. I don't know how many high end 1911's you are going to need, but I would rather have a couple of really high end pistols instead of a collection or 20 mixed this and that selection.

You need to get to a decent gun shop or meet some local glock members that will let you look over some real world pistols and see how the triggers and slide movement feels in your hand. You also are in a price area that might allow you to have a stock colt or springfield made custom to suit your exact requirements. Don Williams built me a custom for IPSC competition and it is extremely nice. The cost was not crazy and I love the results.

Many gun folks seem to buy and sell guns way more than they shoot them. In this economy you might also find someone that frankly needs to get some money out of their best 1911. That may offer you an opportunity to get and of the above pistols at a good discount from new.

that's my plan for 2011...only have a few "production" guns left and that's because they are 9mm 1911's and a .45 that is a project gun.

bac1023
01-02-2011, 14:37
I do like my Kimbers, but my CQB and TRS are on a higher level. Plus, there are enough Kimber sucks threads on here to start a Kimber Sucks Forum. :)

I like my Kimbers as well.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/ollituc/002-14.jpg

Quack
01-02-2011, 14:51
WHOA!!! Kimber has a Custom Shop????:wow: :rofl: :tongueout:

Nickpisp
01-02-2011, 15:58
WHOA!!! Kimber has a Custom Shop????:wow: :rofl: :tongueout:

Yeah, it's a CNC machine in it's own room that says "Custom Shop" on the side. :rofl:

thecableguy
01-02-2011, 15:59
Yeah, it's a CNC machine in it's own room that says "Custom Shop" on the side. :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 16:07
That is the exception, and not the norm.....Wilson has an EXCELLENT reputation for quality products and 1st class customer service. Sounds like you have a serious chip on your shoulder with Wilson. Too bad for you.....

And you wouldn't after you spent over 6 thousand dollars for guns that only work sometimes? Thumb safety falling out, Armor Tuffed chamber, not feeding recommended ammunition...

Not too bad for me. I don't buy Wilson products anymore. Good for me. Again, I have nothing to gain by bad mouthing Wilson or even recommending another maker. I got asked the "Why". I answered it. Some don't like my answer/experience.

Too bad for them.

Again, I will say it…

Do the research on the manufacturer, filter out the BS and then make your decision. If Wilson is what someone wants, I wish them the best of luck. If they want something else, I wish them the best of luck.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 16:10

Not at all.

I figured people were sending out some shots so I figured to send out my own. It seems some are a little unhappy with that.

glock2740
01-02-2011, 17:15
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/sistermoon48/*********.jpg

den888
01-02-2011, 17:31
Get the Les Baer

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 17:43

Something like this coming from you…Well I would have figured something a little more childish. You proved me wrong…You are, in fact, a *********.

Rinspeed
01-02-2011, 17:44
Get the TRS...

Hope this helps as I am not choosing between the pistols you have mentioned.

Get the Les Baer

You guys do know this thread is a year old. :rofl:

BuckyP
01-02-2011, 17:47
You guys do know this thread is a year old. :rofl:

He's still thinking about it! :tongueout:

airflyer
01-02-2011, 17:48
[QUOTE=SIGShooter;16568838]Nope…I've had the best luck with 1911s. Just some of the manufacturers suck.

Her Kimber rusted the first day out to the range. Summer, sunny very light humidity. She called Kimber and the lady told her to pound sand. It's her fault

I would have to agree with rep guns need oiled, sounds like neglect
To me .
First day huh ?

drc767
01-02-2011, 17:58
And you wouldn't after you spent over 6 thousand dollars for guns that only work sometimes? Thumb safety falling out, Armor Tuffed chamber, not feeding recommended ammunition...Not too bad for me.
Do the research on the manufacturer, filter out the BS and then make your decision. If Wilson is what someone wants, I wish them the best of luck. If they want something else, I wish them the best of luck.

You are clueless. I have had well over $25,000 worth of Wilson pistols that have gone through my hands in 2010.....not one customer has called me with problems or complaints. They are probably better off without you as a customer anyway.....Try calling Les Baer with an issue with one of his 1911's and tell me you are happy with the way you are talked to. I don't think they need your "best of luck" wishes.....they are more than capable of standing on their own. Once again, I repeat.....you are clueless.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:18
You are clueless. I have had well over $25,000 worth of Wilson pistols that have gone through my hands in 2010.....not one customer has called me with problems or complaints. They are probably better off without you as a customer anyway.....Try calling Les Baer with an issue with one of his 1911's and tell me you are happy with the way you are talked to. I don't think they need your "best of luck" wishes.....they are more than capable of standing on their own. Once again, I repeat.....you are clueless.

You are funny. Really, you are.

They are definitely better off without me, you are right. Let me guess, you need to beef yourself up on the internet so you can appear as a tough guy right?

Never had to call Baer for any problems. I did send my gun in to be refinished and have a spare parts kit made for it. Guess what, it didn't come back screwed up like my Wilson did.

Let me say, for the first time, you are pathetic.

Here, let me help you with the beating of your chest…Better yet, I'll leave you to your tough internet life.

Careful everyone, this guy is internet tough!

You made me LOL…Idiot.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:21
Airflyer: [QUOTE]I would have to agree with rep guns need oiled, sounds like neglect
To me .
First day huh ?/QUOTE]

You sure could agree with the rep huh. Bought it at the store, got it home, went to the range the same day…Total neglect. You're absolutely right. Man, what was I thinking.

Most of you cats here own so many 1911s, JMB would be kneeling in your presence. Of course, he'd laugh at most of you because you don't actually shoot them.

drc767
01-02-2011, 18:29
You are funny. Really, you are.

They are definitely better off without me, you are right. Let me guess, you need to beef yourself up on the internet so you can appear as a tough guy right?

Never had to call Baer for any problems. I did send my gun in to be refinished and have a spare parts kit made for it. Guess what, it didn't come back screwed up like my Wilson did.

Let me say, for the first time, you are pathetic.

Here, let me help you with the beating of your chest…Better yet, I'll leave you to your tough internet life.

Careful everyone, this guy is internet tough!

You made me LOL…Idiot.

I don't know what makes you such a ***** idiot, but whatever it is, it really works! You really are clueless....

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:32
Clueless.....

Like I said, you are ABSOLUTELY right. I'm clueless. You are the MAN.

I wonder if you pay people to stroke your ego at your store? I bet you do.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:34
I don't know what makes you such a ***** idiot, but whatever it is, it really works!

Awe, you edited your post…But I got you quoted before you changed it.

You….you tough guy you.

drc767
01-02-2011, 18:40
Awe, you edited your post…But I got you quoted before you changed it.

Wow....you are pretty fast. I bet your wife is really impressed. Have a nice life, Speedy....

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:44
drc767
[QUOTE]Wow....you are pretty fast. I bet your wife is really impressed. Have a nice life, Speedy..../QUOTE]

Oh no, not the wife jokes. Man you really are a tough guy. Gotta bring up the wife. That shows how tough you really are.

Speedy…that's cute.

Small dick men always bring up another man's wife when they lack…well pretty much everything.

glock2740
01-02-2011, 18:45

Once again. This just says it all. :wavey:

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 18:47

I'm glad to see how well you can quote yourself…A true reflection of what you really are.

The first step is admitting it.

drc767
01-02-2011, 18:48

You're not kidding, Joe.....

airflyer
01-02-2011, 19:18
You sure could agree with the rep huh. Bought it at the store, got it home, went to the range the same day…Total neglect. You're absolutely right. Man, what was I thinking.

Most of you cats here own so many 1911s, JMB would be kneeling in your presence. Of course, he'd laugh at most of you because you don't actually shoot them.[/QUOTE]

Bought at store went to range the same day it rusted ? Less than 12 hours ?
You are kidding ,hard to grasp that happening :dunno:

drc767
01-02-2011, 19:21
Airflyer: [QUOTE]Most of you cats here own so many 1911s, JMB would be kneeling in your presence. Of course, he'd laugh at most of you because you don't actually shoot them.

This coming from the same guy that posted it takes him 2 months to break in his Versa Max II for his 1911.

My Milt Sparks VMII for my 1911 took about 2 months. I'm still breaking in the DMP's after almost a year.

My VMII for my P7M8 was broken in in about 3 days as well as the SMP.

The VMII for my Glock 17…I gave up on that after the first 2 days. Almost impossible to even get the gun in the holster.

I guess it all depends on who makes it, what type of leather they use and the gun. Not an expert, but that's my take on it.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 19:45
[QUOTE=SIGShooter;16570833]Airflyer:

This coming from the same guy that posted it takes him 2 months to break in his Versa Max II for his 1911.

Yay for you…You know how to research posts.

That's right, it took me 2 months to break it in. What's your point. I believe you've just earned the ********* award here. Heck I still have 2 holsters that aren't broken in yet for the same 1911.

I forgot to add…I use Blade-Tech Kydex most of the times when I'm carrying. Again, you answer a question here and some ******* decides he's the smartest thing since sliced bread.

Keep going chump. I'm entertained.

SIGShooter
01-02-2011, 19:47

Most of you cats here own so many 1911s, JMB would be kneeling in your presence. Of course, he'd laugh at most of you because you don't actually shoot them.

You are kidding ,hard to grasp that happening :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Sure is hard to grasp huh.

Are you trying to get your internet tough guy patch as well? Again, answer a question here and you have all the experts who think they know better.

airflyer
01-02-2011, 19:55
You are kidding ,hard to grasp that happening :dunno:

Sure is hard to grasp huh.

Are you trying to get your internet tough guy patch as well? Again, answer a question here and you have all the experts who think they know better.[/QUOTE]

airflyer
01-02-2011, 20:05
Tough guy patch we could start a club, Cool

MarkCO
01-02-2011, 20:11
Come on guys, this is ridiculous! GT (and I) have pretty much let this forum be self controlled, but this kind of stuff is not going to get anyone anywhere.

I don't care if LB, Wilson or Mattel makes your favorite 1911, and you are free to discuss the merits and demerits of 1911s with absolute freedom. However, when it becomes degrading and personal, don't bring it here!