velocity/vulcan receivers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : velocity/vulcan receivers?

themighty9mm
01-29-2010, 16:05
are vulcan receivers any good?

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 16:30
No, Vulcan receivers are soft. The ejector and fire control group axis pin holes will be the first things to fail. The bolt rails usually don't line up properly. All around not a good receiver.

themighty9mm
01-29-2010, 16:33
I ask because I found a yugo underfolder with the original barrel, and the company put is on a 1.6 mm vulcan receiver. So with the soft receiver maybe I should pass?

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 17:16
Yes, I'd pass on it. The Vulcan Yugo receivers had other holes out of place also. The rivet holes can be a bit off and the fit of the trunnions, especially the rear trunnion usually leave a gap on the receiver to trunnion fit. original Yugo barrels can be pretty rough too as they aren't chrome lined and usually well used. If you want a Yugo look at the ones built with NoDak Spud receivers. On them, mainly check the vertical play of the magazine and the general magazine fit.

themighty9mm
01-29-2010, 18:34
I have now heard that from a couple sources. What about DCI and elk river?

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 19:04
DCI is NoDak Spud. Same company. One is the maker "DCI" and the other is the sales division "No Dak Spud". Elk River bought the tooling and rights from Arsenal USA and only made some of the original receiver line. They made no Yugo receivers. They have since sold off to a smaller company that makes even fewer receivers. The Arsenal USA and the early Elk River receivers are pretty good but don't "look" exactly like the European AK's, mostly due to the odd shaped magwell dimples that they claimed were a manufacturing "improvement". The DCI / NoDak Spud receivers are about the best and they cover the range of different AK's. The Elk River ones were pretty good but were never perfect. They go together well and they do hold up fine. Th DCI / NoDak Spud receivers are about the best US-made ones, especially if you stay with hey premium ones and not the economy ones, which are about equal to the Elk River receivers but still "look" better.

themighty9mm
01-29-2010, 19:17
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct656.aspx
On this polish UF, it says a DCI receiver, any idea if its a premium model? I sent em an email regarding this but if omebody else knows in the mean time that would be great.

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 19:46
DCI does make a premium Polish underfolder receiver. The economy receiver is predrilled for a fixed stock so I doubt it was made with an economy receiver as the fixed stock rivet holes would have to be welded and the rest of the receiver machined for the underfolder trunnion. one version of the underfolder receiver even has the correct Polish type pistol grip reinforcement plate. But I don't think all produced had this feature but they were all premium receivers.

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

space_weazel
01-29-2010, 19:49
I would say that if you can get the Vulcan for a cheap price and most all of the original yugo parts are in tact then get it and scrap the receiver and build it up on a No-Dak.

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 19:54
I would think if somebody built it on one of those Vulcan receivers that were so cheap, that's there's a good chance the "original" barrel resembles a sewer pipe.

themighty9mm
01-29-2010, 19:57
I would say that if you can get the Vulcan for a cheap price and most all of the original yugo parts are in tact then get it and scrap the receiver and build it up on a No-Dak.

Granted this will be my 3rd AK, but first one I have full intention of keeping and using. The other 2 in the past I never shot em and couldnt find anywhere to shoot em and ended up trading them. I am treating this like it is my first. I dont wanna have to start from the get go with the intention of changing parts and scraping parts then rebuilding. I'm wanting to pay and play from the get go. If the general consensus it the polish is on a quality receiver I will go with that. Maybe down the road get the yugo and build it right. When all is said and done I have the intentions to have 4 Ak's a polish a yugo a bugarian and a krinkov (dunno where from yet) From my bit of research the polis AK's are ranked with the better ones. What are your thoughts?

GIockGuy24
01-29-2010, 20:04
The Polish AK's are some of the best.