Glock 19 with stuck slide ...need help :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 with stuck slide ...need help :(

dougja
01-29-2010, 18:46
I was shooting my G19 today and it was shooting well until it "locked up". By that I mean the slide locked in the close position and I can't get the slide to pull back. I have a feeling a casing is stuck within preventing me from moving the slide. Can someone advise how I can "open" up the gun or get the slide off other than the standard field strip method. Field strip method is out of question because the slide won't give a millimeter.
Very suprised this happened because I have never had the slightest problem with this gun. Oh well, I am sure there is a fix , probably not too hard. Just thought I would ask the forum before I bungle it further thru experimentation.

Thanks!

G19lover
01-29-2010, 19:49
did the round fire? If so , put the end of the slide on piece of wood (not the end of the barrel) using your hand give it a good solid tap to try to push the slide rearward.

Davegrave
01-29-2010, 19:51
Yep, drop the mag if you can and do what he said above. FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER... catch the slide on the end of a table or something so the barrel will clear it and give it a good "whack".

dougja
01-29-2010, 23:09
did the round fire? If so , put the end of the slide on piece of wood (not the end of the barrel) using your hand give it a good solid tap to try to push the slide rearward.

Yes, a round fired but then not one after, which leads me to believe the case did not extract and a cartridge did not move into place. And by the way, the magazine did drop. When it happened I gave it a few gentle taps to try to free it up , I am just a little concerned about using force, experience shows force works sometimes and breaks things at other times. I will try it as you suggest.... a good solid tap. It can wait till tomorrow.... perhaps some other ideas will be posted.
Thanks for the encouragement!

DannyR
01-30-2010, 05:59
1. Point the pistol in a safe direction.

2. grasp the rear of the slide with your weak hand and hold on tight.

3. smack the back of the grip with your strong hand

misunderestimated
01-30-2010, 06:11
Yes, a round fired but then not one after, which leads me to believe the case did not extract and a cartridge did not move into place. And by the way, the magazine did drop. When it happened I gave it a few gentle taps to try to free it up , I am just a little concerned about using force, experience shows force works sometimes and breaks things at other times. I will try it as you suggest.... a good solid tap. It can wait till tomorrow.... perhaps some other ideas will be posted.
Thanks for the encouragement!

First treat that gun as if it has a live round in it, In the future I would noty recomend leaving the range with out getting it opened to confirm no live round, A RO at a range is supposed to help you with this. And the majority of them have the exspereance to get it done.

What modifications have been done to the gun (stock barrel or other)

Are all of your 3 pins still in place

is it in a good battery position or does it look like the barrel is a skew

the magazine that came out did it have more rounds in it? is all of the follower stilll in place

If you stick a bore light up the mag channel does anything look out of place

G19lover
01-30-2010, 07:30
Is the trigger in the fired position? If so then the cartridge never attempted to extract and most likely has been fired. Stick a pencil down the barrel and mark with your thump how far it went, then pull pencil out and lay along side of slide and see how how it went down, is it all the way back to the rear of the barrel? Unfortunately I don't think you will have many options other than to whack the firearm to loosen it. I had this happen once to mine. It was the only way to release it.

JohnKSa
01-30-2010, 17:48
What kind of ammunition were you using?

01-30-2010, 19:28
It sounds like it has a live round in it.

The DannyR method above works well.

dougja
01-30-2010, 23:39
i was using my reloaded ammunition. i fully expect that a live round is in it, but honestly i dont know

Davegrave
01-31-2010, 07:52
Make sure you come back and let us know how you work it out. You're a new member so you might have signed up for help on just this one issue....but now you're commited to tell us the details. :supergrin:

How did you unlock the slide?
Live round?
Ammo damaged?
Damage to your gun?

ChaneyD
01-31-2010, 08:32
Once you get the slide open I would check your reloads. use your barrel as a gage. Round should drop in with no restrictions. Check your case for proper resizing and crimp. You might not have enough. If case sizing is not the issue, keep crimping until the shell drops in.

dhoomonyou
01-31-2010, 08:47
Treat that gun as a loaded gun

JohnJak
01-31-2010, 09:24
Treat that gun as a loaded gun
As my dear friend Michael Jackson once said "Just Beat It".

dougja
01-31-2010, 17:44
Ok, this was really an experience. It did have a live round in it! I'm a little embarrased to admit it here but it did fire while I was attempting to free the slide. No harm was done other than my pride. The trigger was always in the loaded round condition but several times pulling the trigger produced no results. So after a series of bangings and then a trigger pull it decided to shoot (in a safe direction, but caught me by suprise). The slide was still locked in place, so I grab it by the slide with one hand and whacked with the other on the grip. Free at last, it gave way and revealed the fired shell casing in the barrel. Sorry I don't know the terminology , is it the feedramp ? Anyways, I used a pocket knife and pried it out. So all I have now is the casing, it's an RP headstamp. Not sure I have enough "evidence" to find the error of my ways in reloading.
That's my story, glad it's over. Thanks for all the great advice and support.

ChaneyD
01-31-2010, 18:21
I think you reload wasn't sized or crimped properly. Slide was out of battery and not fully closed. Banging made it go into battery and fire.

G19lover
01-31-2010, 19:40
I think Chaney got it right, not sized or crimped right and didn't fully lock closed. WOW, glad you had the gun pointed in a safe direction! Pays to pay attention. The one that stuck on me was also a reload. Who knows why it happens, could be a freak occurence. Its the only one I had lock a slide in 30 years of reloading. Doesn't make it much better when it happens but crap happens. At least now if it ever happens you know how to go about unsticking.................just be damn careful!

Scared_of_zombies
01-31-2010, 19:46
What did you shoot? (when pointing in a safe direction)

JohnKSa
01-31-2010, 20:50
i was using my reloaded ammunition. i fully expect that a live round is in itWell, it's late to say anything now, but my guess was going to be that there was a live round in the chamber and that it was slightly oversized. I agree with ChaneyD and G19lover.

It being oversized kept the gun from going fully into battery and that's why it didn't initially fire. The fact that it was oversized also meant that the round was jammed forcibly into the chamber under the force of the recoil spring which kept the slide from opening easily.

Your hammering on the slide finally pushed it into battery and allowed the trigger pull to fire the gun.

You need to figure out what's wrong in your reloading process or you're due for a repeat performance sooner or later.

In the future, it's probably best to clear the gun at the range if at all possible.

dougja
01-31-2010, 20:55
What did you shoot? (when pointing in a safe direction)
I didn't tell my wife, so I think I better stay mum on the forum:whistling:
Let's just say it was pointed in a safe direction and I recovered the bullet. However, it was not how I planned things. Only thing hurt was my pride (again).

G19lover
02-01-2010, 05:25
I give you a lot of credit Doug, most people would not have come onto a public forum and risked being embarrassed. You did and it very possibly could of saved your life, nothing to be embarrassed about that. I think some guys now know what to be aware of if it happens to them. You did good and came out safe. Thanks for posting!

dougja
02-01-2010, 16:02
I give you a lot of credit Doug, most people would not have come onto a public forum and risked being embarrassed. You did and it very possibly could of saved your life, nothing to be embarrassed about that. I think some guys now know what to be aware of if it happens to them. You did good and came out safe. Thanks for posting!

All I can say is ... THANKS!

This is a good forum, no wait... a great forum.

02-02-2010, 07:25
When the gun went off -- the spent cartrige should have ejected. Once the heat of firing occurred the brass should have fire formed (shrunk up) to the chamber and ejected.

It could be nothing to worry about, but I would check the extractor for damage, and the barrel for a possible buldge. Just in case you had a previous bullet stuck in the barrel in front of that live round.

Glad you are okay....

ChaneyD
02-02-2010, 07:32
When the gun went off -- the spent cartrige should have ejected. Once the heat of firing occurred the brass should have fire formed (shrunk up) to the chamber and ejected.

Cartridge couldn't eject because full battery did not occur. Once again, I repeat, reload was not resized/crimped properly. He needs to check his reloads by dropping them into the barrel of his pistol and see if they go all the way in without sticking.

meleors
02-02-2010, 11:19
Too late, but before beating on the gun, I would have tried using a small flat blade screwdriver to pull the extractor outward while gently pulling the slide rearward. Releasing the extractor's hold on the casing allows the slide to pull back. Lock the slide back and pry the casing from the chamber.
Of course, keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

ChaneyD
02-02-2010, 11:44
If cartridge is truly stuck in barrel, prying on the extractor (which is no no) wouldn't have helped.

meleors
02-02-2010, 12:41
Funny, had a round stuck. Released extractor, worked perfect. Gun has since seen over 1000 rnds. no problem. Yeah, much better to beat on the gun. Would rather take a chance on ruining a $20 extractor than pound on the gun and have an ND.
If the round is stuck, it's the extractor holding the slide in place. Prying on extractor places less stress on the extractor than beating the slide against a table with unpredictable results.

vmann
02-03-2010, 10:59
something doesnt make sense here....

you stated that there ended up being a live round in it that ended up going off, but also said that the trigger was in the ready position...after many attempts of pulling the trigger without it going off...

if you pulled the trigger, how did it reset without racking the slide?? you wouldnt have been able to pull the trigger but one time without racking the slide, there is no second strike with a glock...

i think this part sounds impossible....no??

something smells funny here

ChaneyD
02-03-2010, 11:05
I think the trigger wasn't completely reset just appeared to be if since the gun wasn't completely in battery.

vmann
02-03-2010, 11:07
I think the trigger wasn't completely reset just appeared to be if since the gun wasn't completely in battery.
yea, but how would he get multiple pulls on the trigger...i just want to make sure i understand this correctly...know what i mean!!

i have seen and cleared the locked up slide before with the round that went off and didnt come out...trigger was pulled, and i felt confident about lining up the slide on a table and whacking on the back of it to break it free....

02-03-2010, 16:53
I am confused as to how it fired out of battery? I have had several reloads jam and leave the gun appearring to be in battery but unable to fire due to the connector/disconnctor function. If it went off, and is working properly, the extractor had to be hooked on to the case. ?????

ChaneyD
02-03-2010, 16:55
I am confused as to how it fired out of battery? I have had several reloads jam and leave the gun appearring to be in battery but unable to fire due to the connector/disconnctor function. If it went off, and is working properly, the extractor had to be hooked on to the case. ?????

I'm thinking he got the gun back into full battery and then it fired. Only way that can happen.

JohnKSa
02-03-2010, 20:48
if you pulled the trigger, how did it reset without racking the slide?? you wouldnt have been able to pull the trigger but one time without racking the slide, there is no second strike with a glock...If the slide is back far enough that the "ramp" or "cam" inside the slide is pushing the connector over, the trigger can be pulled but it won't be moved down out of engagement with the firing pin lug. The trigger pull will compress the striker spring but since the connector isn't in position to cam the rear of the trigger bar down the striker won't actually be released.

If that happens, when you release the trigger it will simply return to the forward position under the tension of the firing pin spring, still in the ready to fire state. As soon as the slide is moved far enough forward to disengage the ramp/cam from the connector then a trigger pull would drop the striker and fire the pistol assuming that the slide is also far enough forward that the trigger pull will disengage the firing pin safety.

02-04-2010, 16:21
Nice explanation JOHNKSA.

I had to get my Glock out to show it to myself, but now I understand.

Thanks

JohnKSa
02-04-2010, 21:02
Glad to be of service! It's a very simple system, but since much of what goes on is not visible with the gun assembled and doesn't work with the gun disassembled it's easy to be in the dark about the minor details.

SGCase
08-05-2012, 05:48
I am new to this fourm, but not to the things I have read here. I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone will still read it and get something from it. I was once showing a friend how my Glock disassembled so easily. I was in my living room with 4 people in the room. I methodically went through the motions, and as always before you can remove the slide you need to drop the trigger. I pointed the gun at the floor, and promptly blew a hole right through the carpet, floor, and into the crawl space below. Imagine the shock to all, as well as my hurt pride. I traced my steps realizing what had happend. Lets just say, I belive I had dyslexia of the brain that day and did all of the right procedures in the wrong order. Thankfully I have always and will always follow the one most important rule of always pointing a gun in a safe direction. If anything good ever came out of this experience, it has taught me to always second guess myself, and ALWAYS double and triple check by sight the chamber. All that said, I don't think my pride will ever recover. :shocked:

misunderestimated
08-05-2012, 06:54
I am new to this fourm, but not to the things I have read here. I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone will still read it and get something from it. I was once showing a friend how my Glock disassembled so easily. I was in my living room with 4 people in the room. I methodically went through the motions, and as always before you can remove the slide you need to drop the trigger. I pointed the gun at the floor, and promptly blew a hole right through the carpet, floor, and into the crawl space below. Imagine the shock to all, as well as my hurt pride. I traced my steps realizing what had happend. Lets just say, I belive I had dyslexia of the brain that day and did all of the right procedures in the wrong order. Thankfully I have always and will always follow the one most important rule of always pointing a gun in a safe direction. If anything good ever came out of this experience, it has taught me to always second guess myself, and ALWAYS double and triple check by sight the chamber. All that said, I don't think my pride will ever recover. :shocked:

Thanks for the input. this is the reason I chose not to look at some one new cool gun.

I am sure I insult allot of people,when I tell them to keep it in there holster. I just dont want to become one of the statistics of an ND

Arc Angel
08-05-2012, 07:34
Assuming your sizing die is correctly set up and screwed down, properly, into the press: Next time pull the press handle all the way down to the full bottom of the stroke!

You can always drop a cleaning rod down into the barrel; and you should be able to immediately tell whether or not it's landed on top of a loaded round. (You know how to do that, right!)

Danny's solution is a good one! Personally, I would have assumed a live round was inside the chamber, placed the muzzle end of the slide on a table flat, kept my finger off the trigger, and given the frame's backstrap a good hard whack with the flat of my hand. (Watch your toes!) ;)

jbudik
12-05-2013, 19:55
I understand the thread is pretty old but I am not sure what to do. My Glock 19 is jammed solid.. There is a spent casing in there and slide will not open. I have been reading this forum for three days and have tried everything suggested from other posts. If anyone had anything to add, please advise... Thanks

ArmoryDoc
12-06-2013, 11:06
Either rap the front of the slide hard enough to push it back or take it to a gunshop.