What do the shotgun guys think of this new Mossberg? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do the shotgun guys think of this new Mossberg?

mixflip
01-29-2010, 19:06
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/mossberg590spx.jpg

I like the idea of a pump with the same ghost ring sights as my 930 SPX. Plus being able to attach a bayonet like the old 590 is still cool.

CBennett
01-29-2010, 19:50
get rid of the knife and its cool...unless your in trench warfare ... That said I DONT like Ghost Rings for a close up gun(good for further out though for slugs ) but I like the 590 as a whole..I have a 870 and I think I actually like the 590 better.

mixflip
01-29-2010, 20:02
I agree ghost rings are better suited for longer distance shots but I read a field test of a 930SPX effectively hitting targets with slugs out to 150 yards and progressively advanced on the targets checking zero. Then switched to buck at 25 yards. That being said, I like the option of having extended range from my shotgun. I dont think I could hit a man sized target with a slug at 100 yards with a bead sight?

They definately dont hurt close range shotgun shooting in my opinion.

motorcyclist
01-29-2010, 20:04
You'll poke your eye out! I don't understand the knife. If the bad guy is close enough to stab...just shoot them! I'm not a fan of ghost rings either but the 590 is otherwise a solid shotgun.

mixflip
01-29-2010, 20:08
Maybe the bayonet is for a last ditch SHTF situation when your gun runs out of ammo and you get rushed before you can reload or transition to another gun? Not needed but a nice option to have in a marshal law/hurricaine katrina situation?

Victoriagotagun
01-29-2010, 20:37
I think it would of been better if they attached the GRS to the top of the receiver and attached the rail in front of it.

k594
01-29-2010, 23:37
yea the bayonet is definitely just a novelty imo but still a solid shotgun

Janno05
01-30-2010, 00:13
I love the LPA's on my 930SPX. Looks like a solid shotgun.

fragout
01-30-2010, 15:20
Ghost ring sights are awesome for buckshot with an IC choke. We used ghost ring sights in the Army on 18" and 20" 870's and 590/500's. We never shot slugs through them (except for powdered breaching slugs). Rifled sights are for slugs, ghost rings are for laying down the buckshot.

aippi
01-30-2010, 15:26
You asked......... Me thinks "tacti-fool"........

deadday
01-30-2010, 15:41
yea the bayonet is definitely just a novelty imo but still a solid shotgun

The bayonet lug was added to meet MilSpec on the 590A1 and I imagine was just carried over into civilian lines to avoid changing the manufacturing process..

Devin459
01-31-2010, 10:18
Man, when are they going to get a new foregrip? The gun itself is cool, but they need to get a more tactical foregrip in my opinion. And maybe a better action that isn't so loose and shaky, but is just as reliable. As for the ghost ring, I love it, the bayonet could do without(could get snagged when trying to employ the gun in defensive situations.) Otherwise great looking gun. I'm sure the price is right too, like all other mossys.

pmwglock19
01-31-2010, 10:27
I saw a youtube video on tactical shotgun training where they teach how to hit a target out to 100 yards. The shotgun had ghostring sites.

metro273
01-31-2010, 14:02
Like the shotgun but lose the bayonet! :supergrin:

keninnavarre
02-01-2010, 05:13
The bayonet lug was added to meet MilSpec on the 590A1 and I imagine was just carried over into civilian lines to avoid changing the manufacturing process..

Exactly. Its a Milspec shotgun. I doubt if many that own them leave the bayo on them. Its a nice bayonet, though. Mine came with an Ontario Knife brand bayonet, with the Bianchi sheath. A nice extra I think. But Im sure I paid for it in the price of the shotgun.

If you dont want the bayonet, its really no problem to sell them for $100.

MrMurphy
02-01-2010, 07:51
Few ever use the bayonet, even in the military. But there's times when it does come in handy (extreme close quarters for last ditch use, as well as crowd control) just like on a rifle.

krush777
02-01-2010, 12:16
I think it would of been better if they attached the GRS to the top of the receiver and attached the rail in front of it.

I am trying to visualize this. Why would you see this as a good set-up. I have only shot 00 buck and never fired a shotgun with sites. And I am looking for a goos tactical shotgun set-up.

mixflip
02-01-2010, 12:27
He is probably reffering to the way Benelli mounts it but its not a better setup per se' since no matter how its mounted you cant co-witness of ghost ring sights and the red dot sight mounted to the picatinny rail on either setup. i.e. (GRS mounted on a pic rail vs GRS mounted on the receiver w/ pic rail in front of it)

krush777
02-02-2010, 14:36
He is probably reffering to the way Benelli mounts it but its not a better setup per se' since no matter how its mounted you cant co-witness of ghost ring sights and the red dot sight mounted to the picatinny rail on either setup. i.e. (GRS mounted on a pic rail vs GRS mounted on the receiver w/ pic rail in front of it)

Ok. I can see that. My 870 Home Defense Model just has a bead site on the front. So I am considering adding sites versus just buying a shotgun with site so that shooting slug accurately at targets "a little further away" would be an option. Any Ideas?

txleapd
02-02-2010, 18:15
You'll poke your eye out! I don't understand the knife. If the bad guy is close enough to stab...just shoot them!

I believe the idea is that if you run out of ammo and the bad guy is close enough to stab, you stab 'em... It's kind of a last resort measure.

mixflip
02-02-2010, 18:36
I always imagine the store owners who were wielding 590's with bayonets back during the rodney king riots in LA. If you were a looter would you want to mess with a store owner who had a bayonet mounted shotgun??? Practical and intimidating. Probably not needed 99.9999999% of the time but hey its detachable for a reason.

krush777
02-03-2010, 14:05
I always imagine the store owners who were wielding 590's with bayonets back during the rodney king riots in LA. If you were a looter would you want to mess with a store owner who had a bayonet mounted shotgun??? Practical and intimidating. Probably not needed 99.9999999% of the time but hey its detachable for a reason.

That set-up would intimidate any normal person. I would not want to be on the receiving end of any bayonet no matter what it is mounted to.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-03-2010, 16:48
k.i.s.s.

krush777
02-03-2010, 18:03
:cool:It seems simple enough - stick the pointy end into the other guy, right?

TKM
02-03-2010, 18:28
Everything has a rail on it these days.

Keeps knocking the toilet seat down.:whistling:

The older 590s came with GR sights and cutlery attachment, just not the rail and AR style front sight.

If it sells, groovy. I'm waiting for the tiger stripe titanium gold finish.

Alaskapopo
02-04-2010, 01:40
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/mossberg590spx.jpg

I like the idea of a pump with the same ghost ring sights as my 930 SPX. Plus being able to attach a bayonet like the old 590 is still cool.

I like Ghostring sights. They are fast up close and far out. They are just like the sights on my AR's except not quite as precise. I managed to beat two open shooters and come in first place in the last shotgun side match I shot with my Benelli M4 with Ghost rings.
Pat

mixflip
02-05-2010, 19:03
Ok I went window shopping today at a few of my favorite gun shops and got to touch and feel this new 590A1-SPX. I have to admit it was nicer than I expected. Obviously the sights were just as nice as my 930 SPX.

The addition of factory applied porting in the barrel was a nice factory included option. I dont know how much it actually reduces muzzle rise but to pay for it as an aftermarket option would be at least $200 by Hans Vang or Michael Shain?

The only thing that sucked was the price. With an included bayonet they wanted $750! A Mossberg pump for $750 is insane!!!!!

I sold some stuff on backpage.com so I have $600 burning a hole in my pocket for a new pump shotgun but I dont think I am going to buy the 590SPX.

Sweet17
02-06-2010, 04:23
Every time they add a prefix or suffix to a model designation, it's a hundred bucks a letter. SPX amounts to $300.00. $750.00 minus $300.00 puts that weapon at a good price and value.

Another case of getting too big for ones britches are Savage rifles. I got in on the ground floor when the Accu-Trigger first hit the market. Extreamly accurate and affordable rifles. They made it hard to justify not having one. Now, they are just plain crazy. Still butt ugly, and not really any better or different than a couple years ago. Just more expensive. Oh they added on some bells and whistles. Bolt-ons mostly. Like the shotgun industry is doing now. Hang some sights and rails on last years model. Add 3 $100.00 tactical looking letters to the name. Raise the price accordingly.

sigman69
02-07-2010, 09:01
Looks like a good shotgun, that will get you through the night and ward off any bad guys that might come knocking!!!