Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?

Cobra6
01-29-2010, 22:04
I need some advice
I bought this Sabre Defence lower -
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=302&zenid=b03bcbae9833468bd04325262e96cbed

and I have a DD LPK and the Mil-Spec MOE Stock, MOE grip, MOE Trigger Guard, and Mil-Spec buffer tube assembly.

I now see this -
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=0

and see that the lower receiver is not up to snuff - (note the receiver extension diameter and the carbine buffer)

I was going to get a BCM upper with a 16" barrel and a mid-length gas system -

Do I need to get a different lower for this? It is easier to change now, and I still have a lower that I could use for a different build.

Thanks for any advice - I want to do a decent build with quality parts.

NeverMore1701
01-29-2010, 22:12
Ok, that chart really only covers complete rifles. The above parts are good to go. Keep on with your plan, and you'll have a great rifle.

MattS67
01-29-2010, 22:56
You're fine! Don't over-analyze. Just put your rifle together and enjoy it. :)

Cobra6
01-29-2010, 23:25
You're fine! Don't over-analyze. Just put your rifle together and enjoy it. :)

I have been known to over-analyze......

javelinadave
01-29-2010, 23:36
see that the lower receiver is not up to snuff - (note the receiver extension diameter and the carbine buffer)

Same spec as Bushmaster and Rock River. They are both quality products, you will be fine.

RMTactical
01-30-2010, 03:34
There is no problem here. You are good to go brother!

Big Mad Dawg
01-30-2010, 04:58
Sabre Defence are exhalent quality

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2010, 06:03
Sabre Defense is good stuff!

wingsprint
01-30-2010, 08:48
Forget "the chart" :upeyes:

You have a fine rifle in the works.

MADBMW
01-30-2010, 10:11
The lower does not really mean much as long as you buy from a known company. As far as the milspec buffer tube, that is easy enough to change no problem later if you want. Same goes for swaping out the carbine buffer for an H buffer if you ever decide to. The main issue for a reliable hard use gun is going to be the bolt carrier group. HP MP tested is nice to have and a propery staked gas carrier key is a must. A BCM upper and BCM bolt carrier group will give you fine carbine.

bdh_1
01-30-2010, 10:27
You just have to realize that the threads in the lower receiver have 1 3/16 - 16 thread pitch. When measuring the outside diameter of a commercial vs. a mil spec diameter receiver extension at the threads, one will find that the commercial extension is slightly different. This is due to the method of manufacture and is because the tops of the threads are knocked off flat as in "/ \" vice "/\". The difference in the threads of a commercial extension and a mil spec diameter extension simply vary in thread contact area. Either will fit a lower receiver which has 1 3/16-16 threads. The chart is based upon factory assembled M4 type rifles and has no bearing on a rifle built from parts made by various different manufacturers.

moncoacp
01-30-2010, 10:44
Just don't try to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse. Tried that with one of my wife's silk purses to make a Halloween costume. She was peeeeisd off.

Conan1
01-30-2010, 10:45
Looking at the Chart, the CMMG does have a properly staked gas key on the M4 carbine.

Ruggles
01-30-2010, 10:53
I agree the chart is mostly internet dribble IMO.

WayaX
01-30-2010, 11:57
Ok, that chart really only covers complete rifles. The above parts are good to go. Keep on with your plan, and you'll have a great rifle.

this.

When building a rifle, you choose the parts so the chart doesn't matter. The chart is accurate for full guns and I would only buy from quality manufacturers. You have done that, so just put the pieces together and you'll be fine.

Cobra6
01-30-2010, 13:50
Thanks for all the replies - I thought Sabre Defence was a quality lower
I was probably trying to use too much info to put this together

Now.... I just have to save up for a BCM upper assembly.

1811guy
01-30-2010, 14:06
Sabre Defence are exhalent quality

As opposed to inhalant quality?:dunno:

javelinadave
01-30-2010, 14:09
Now.... I just have to save up for a BCM upper assembly.

BCM upper, I read on the internet that they are way out of spec!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, good stuff and you should have a quality stick when you are done.

Cobra6
01-31-2010, 21:20
BCM upper, I read on the internet that they are way out of spec!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, good stuff and you should have a quality stick when you are done.

Ha! - LOL
I guess I deserved that!

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 03:37
Forget "the chart" :upeyes:

You have a fine rifle in the works.

The Chart is a great resource forget it at your own peril. However you can make a great rifle with what you have.

KalashniKEV
02-01-2010, 10:43
"The Chart" is only a guide, don't geek out over it like some people do...

You have a good lower and if you build quality parts around it you will have a very capable rifle.