Is it possible to obtain...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to obtain...?

skippz
01-30-2010, 05:25
Is it possible to get an upper of less than 16 inches w/o a c.3 weapons license? I would imagine NO...
But if you were to get an upper "stamped" pistol on it and then installed a collapsible stock (or any stock for that matter)...
I'm confused someone plz explain this to me.

Dalton Wayne
01-30-2010, 05:33
The receiver is the weapon, what you are suggesting would be illegal if it's marked as a pistol barrel it can only go on a pistol receiver.
Regards
DW

skippz
01-30-2010, 06:11
well if its illegal then why does it happen all too often??? I'm curious as to how this takes place...

overkill375
01-30-2010, 08:18
because fools break the law. The uppers are not controlled parts you can buy 50 10 inch uppers if you want just dont put them on a rifle lower.

DustyJacket
01-30-2010, 08:38
Is it possible to get an upper of less than 16 inches w/o a c.3 weapons license? I would imagine NO...
But if you were to get an upper "stamped" pistol on it and then installed a collapsible stock (or any stock for that matter)...

Yes, you can get an upper less than 16", but it i for a pistol, unless it is for an SBR.

If you add a stock to any pistol (barrel less than 16") you create a short barrelled rifle (SBR) and need a form 1 or form 4 (depending on things) to create/transfer it legally, and the $200 tax.

You don't need a license.

Similarly, if you add a vertical grip to a pistol you create Any Other Weapon (AOW) and need the same forms, but only $5 tax.

r2kba
01-30-2010, 09:29
Similarly, if you add a vertical grip to a pistol you create Any Other Weapon (AOW) and need the same forms, but only $5 tax.

Thats the transfer fee only though. To make and AOW it's still $200.

r2kba
01-30-2010, 09:30

Uppers are not regulated. If your asking if you can buy a short upper and hand it to someone else to hold that does not have an AR15 the answer is yes. Once your forms are approved then you go get it and make your SBR.

skippz
02-02-2010, 04:12
Okay so when does the < 16" barrel become illegal???
When it is coupled w/ a rifle lower? Just owning it??? Or what?

r2kba
02-02-2010, 11:09

If you dont have an NFA registered SBR, do not buy a short upper.

mboylan
02-07-2010, 15:58

It becomes illegal when you posses a lower receiver that is not registered as an SBR. Its called constructive possession and you can do real hard time for it.

skippz
02-08-2010, 17:28
so even if you own an already assembled AR & order just the upper < 16", and have no intention of actually assembling the rifle its still considered illegal?

skippz
02-08-2010, 17:29
Also what if you buy the upper that is less than 16" and then buy a lower stamped Pistol on it? Ya know the ones w/o the stock.

mboylan
02-08-2010, 19:05
so even if you own an already assembled ar & order just the upper < 16", and have no intention of actually assembling the rifle its still considered illegal?

..100%

MaximaDrvr
02-08-2010, 19:33
'constructive possession' or something like that. Basically, you can make it easily so it is construed that you have made it already.