What do I need to do to my Taurus PT1911 to fire 45 Super ammo in it??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do to my Taurus PT1911 to fire 45 Super ammo in it???

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 09:05

sns3guppy
01-30-2010, 09:29
Flame bait, right?

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 09:56

Eyescream
01-30-2010, 10:00
Read these.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm
http://www.realguns.com/archives/021.htm
http://www.realguns.com/archives/022.htm

Rinspeed
01-30-2010, 15:28
The stock barrel should be fine, just make sure you wear one of these. :whistling:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/ELVEX-Face-Shields-LSS-_i_V_174240.jpg

MD357
01-30-2010, 15:32
The stock barrel should be fine, just make sure you wear one of these. :whistling:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/ELVEX-Face-Shields-LSS-_i_V_174240.jpg

Well played sir..... well played. :rofl:

knoxrocks222
01-30-2010, 15:56
sell it....

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 16:58

ilgunguygt
01-30-2010, 17:11
Why does Clark custom who sells the 460 Rowland conversion recommend the Taurus 1911 frame as suitable??? Is this just a bash Taurus thing, or do you guys actually know what you're talking about?

Tmygun:whistling:
:popcorn: This could get good. Take it easy guys.:rofl:

Seriously, I dont think its the frame or anything, those are ok. Its just the rest of the gun.

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 17:16

ilgunguygt
01-30-2010, 17:32
Could someone please go into detail, instead of making cryptic statements? Is it because the gun didn't cost $2000.00 that you guys look down on it? It seems a very well made, accurate pistol to me. Is it because it's made in Brazil you don't like it?
Doesn't anyone have serious input here?

Tmygun:crying:
Sorry, I was just playing around. Its a sort of point of contention in this forum, a running joke.

Basically, many of us see it as this: The PT1911 isnt what Taurus sold it and sells it as still. The ad campaign showing the 2K dollars worth of "custom" work was a joke. There is absolutely nothing custom about the PT1911. Couple that with the fact that the safeties are known to fall off, the hammer lock system is known to fail and tie it up, the insides are full of cheap parts, and Taurus has absolutely, without doubt, the worst customer service(well, EAA may be worse).

In reality, if you get a good one, and you didnt pay more than 550-600, you did ok. It is a forged frame and slide gun, and will take upgrades just fine. Its just that no one here likes them, though several have owned or do still own them. They still dont like them, well, except that walter guy that says its got 2K dollars worth of custom work.

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 17:38

FLIPPER 348
01-30-2010, 17:38
Its just that no one here likes them, though several have owned or do still own them. They still dont like them, well, except that walter guy that says its got 2K dollars worth of custom work.

wrong (very)

Many people here like them .....and more people have posted positive things about the Taurus 1911 than the usual Taurus bashers who show up in every PT 1911 thread and talk-smack.

dakrat
01-30-2010, 17:39
the ad campaign was a joke. someone here had a brand new pt1911 at the range and the thumb safety broke off. i say wiskey tango foxtrot batman

Rinspeed
01-30-2010, 17:44
Could someone please go into detail, instead of making cryptic statements? Is it because the gun didn't cost $2000.00 that you guys look down on it?

I don't look down on the PT1911 at all and you might be fine shooting supers out of it. I'm just not sure it's a great idea and I'm not sure what exactly you think you'll accomplish other than putting undo wear on it. I believe you need a 22# recoil spring, titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring. With the 22# recoil spring chances are the stock mags will not work reliably. Again I don't think it's a great idea.

Eyescream
01-30-2010, 17:46
I don't look down on the PT1911 at all and you might be fine shooting supers out of it. I'm just not sure it's a great idea and I'm not sure what exactly you think you'll accomplish other than putting undo wear on it. I believe you need a 22# recoil spring, titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring. With the 22# recoil spring chances are the stock mags will not work reliably. Again I don't think it's a great idea.

The links I posted go into detail what weight springs the author suggests if anybody'll bother to read them.

MD357
01-30-2010, 17:51
Could someone please go into detail, instead of making cryptic statements? Is it because the gun didn't cost $2000.00 that you guys look down on it? It seems a very well made, accurate pistol to me. Is it because it's made in Brazil you don't like it?

The gun is full of junk mim. Poorly fitted at that. If you are shooting "hotter" loads you will want beefed up internals or a gun with less tolerance stacking.

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 18:14

Eyescream
01-30-2010, 18:16

Christ Al-****ing-mighty. I think most of you people would rather have somebody lead you to the bathroom by the ****ing hand than give you directions.

I found the links I posted that go into pretty great detail what you need to do to get a 1911 ready to shoot .45 Super ammunition in about five seconds.

ilgunguygt
01-30-2010, 18:27
wrong (very)

Many people here like them .....and more people have posted positive things about the Taurus 1911 than the usual Taurus bashers who show up in every PT 1911 thread and talk-smack.Yep, many people do. That doesnt mean anything more than those of us who dislike them, so you are just as wrong. That aside, like posted above, if you bought at the right price its not a bad 1911. If its any more than 600 bucks you are getting into much better gun territory.

Thanks ilgunguygt. I know that it can't be called custom by any stretch, but I was just concerned about the safety of using the 45 Super in it. I understand people having their likes and dislikes for certain guns, but my question was only one of safety. Truth be told, I wish I did have the money for a top end 1911, but this Taurus has ben chugging along for me with no problems:supergrin:.

Tmygun:wavey:If you get a good one, you got a good one. I know several people that have, and several that havent. When you dont get a good one you really can get the run around from Taurus sometimes. The epic stories abound on the net of Taurus customer service. Keep shooting it, and enjoying it.

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 18:30

MD357
01-30-2010, 20:27
I don't want to wear out my $2000.00 PT1911 too quickly:tongueout:.

Tmygun

You'll have no problems doing that with regular ol' .45 acp. :supergrin:

bac1023
01-30-2010, 20:32

:rofl::rofl:

Tmygun
01-30-2010, 20:34

bac1023
01-30-2010, 20:34
I think I'll just let it be.

Tmygun

A wise choice :thumbsup:

Cobra64
01-31-2010, 04:20

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/HelmetI.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/HelmetIII.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/HelmetII.jpg

sns3guppy
01-31-2010, 10:07
Is it because the gun didn't cost $2000.00 that you guys look down on it? It seems a very well made, accurate pistol to me. Is it because it's made in Brazil you don't like it?

Nothing was said about price, until you brought it up. Why would you make that assumption?

Nothing was said about the manufacturers location. You introduced that, too.

Accuracy is subjective to the shooter or the method used to evaluate the weapon for accuracy. It's not relevant to whether the handgun would be advisably converted to .45 super.

"Well made" really isn't a description applicable to the Taurus 1911.

As previously stated; flame-bait.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 12:47

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 13:05
It sounds like a case of never handled one, never fired one to me. I'm willing to bet that you've never shot, or disassembled one, to see these cheap parts that you speak of, but are only going on what you've "heard" on the internet.

Tmygun:wavey:
I dont know about him, but I have. Several of them. I noticed the sudden change of tone in your posting. Why? You asked a question, yes, we messed around a little bit, but eventually came to the point. If you dont want to believe what you are reading fine, but its the truth.

pistolwrench
01-31-2010, 13:12
45Super is a bad idea in ANY 1911.
:upeyes:

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 13:22

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 13:42
My tone hasn't changed, it's just that some here still seem to have the bash Taurus attitude. I know some people will have an opinion even if they've never owned a particular gun, or had the experience of parts flying off or breaking.
As I've already said, I know the PT1911 isn't a custom pistol, but I don't find it to be a cheap piece of junk prone to having pieces fly off or breaking.
I would advise you to get one, shoot about 5000 rounds through it, then get back to me about your experience.

Tmygun:tongueout:
I did have one, for less than a week. I count my RIA as my first 1911 because of that experience. I didnt even take the Taurus home. My Experience mirrored others here. The safety fell of before it ever got shot. Then would work loose every 15 shots or so. The hammer started to fall to half cock only about 1 out of 10 rounds at about 250 rounds total. I shot maybe 500 rounds total out of it. Sold it to an uncle who gutted it and made it a race gun. I didnt feel too bad about it because I only paid 500 for the gun and got almost all of it back out. Notice I only mentioned the mechanical issues I had with it. I left out the fact that the sights are generic, not the name brand they claimed they were, the checkering was crooked, and uneven depths, the beavertail safety wasnt fit well at all, and could be wiggled back and forth, and the blue look like my kid colored it on with dry erase markers.

Other than that I loved it and would recommend one to anyone!:rofl:

My RIA on the other hand, has no loud rattling loose parts, hasnt choked yet(on HPs, LRN, SWC, etc), and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Oh, I paid about 125 dollars less for it too.

That being said, I think the question was answered before right?

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 14:59

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 16:18
Wow, you must have gotten a real lemon. Nothing is loose on mine. In fact I really have to use some force to pry the saftey loose on mine. Nothing wrong with the beavertail, hammer, or anything else on mine. And to top it off, it's totally reliable with lead, hardball and hollow points.
Hmmm, it's a good thing I didn't hear about how cheap the Taurus was, then I probably would have gotten a bad one.

Tmygun:cool:

EDIT: And BTW, don't get me wrong on the Taurus. I'm not telling anyone that this pistol is anywhere near a top end 1911 worth $1500.00 to $2000.00, but for the money, it's no piece of junk (by any stretch of the imagination) either.
You got a good one. I know someone else who did too. One other person. For someone who has handled and shot good quality 1911s its painfully obvious all the little flaws with it, like the cosmetics, etc.

I still disagree with you. For 500 dollars it isnt a bad gun. If its going to cost more than that, its not a good deal anymore. If it breaks 600-650 its a bad deal altogether. Much better 1911s to be had for that much money.

The gun is cheap, not inexpensive, as was posted in a different thread. Big difference.

bac1023
01-31-2010, 16:24
Tmygun,

Be happy you got a good one. Mine is junk and the PT has my vote as the worst 1911 on the market.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 17:09

Eyescream
01-31-2010, 17:13
If people stopped talking about PT1911s the vast majority of the traffic in this forum would suddenly die.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 17:19

bac1023
01-31-2010, 17:21
Does "be happy you got a good one", mean stop talking about Taurus 1911s??? I thought this was a 1911 forum. Or is it only for certain 1911s?
I am happy with my PT1911:supergrin:.

Tmygun

Not at all.

I simply mean that people are speaking the truth about the PT.

Eyescream
01-31-2010, 17:21
Jesus. I'm just giving you a hard time. Take a pill.

bac1023
01-31-2010, 17:22
Ok, I get it. I won't be asking anymore questions on this forum. Sorry for soiling your expert eyes with useless Taurus talk.
See ya:wavey:

Tmygun

:rofl:

Lighten up a bit, would ya?

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 17:30
Does "be happy you got a good one", mean stop talking about Taurus 1911s??? I thought this was a 1911 forum. Or is it only for certain 1911s?
I am happy with my PT1911:supergrin:.

Tmygun

Ok, I get it. I won't be asking anymore questions on this forum. Sorry for soiling your expert eyes with useless Taurus talk.
See ya:wavey:

Tmygun

It seems you are pretty new to the forum. You should understand, no one here is trying to give you a hard time. No one here is making fun of you or your gun. This is just one of those places where the truth is said bluntly. You will find that some blunt statements made about many other brands of 1911, and sometimes models from certain manufacturers that make many other fine 1911s. Its not something to be taken personally, like you are.

Come back whenever you feel like engaging in a little more 1911 banter, and please, talk about your pt1911 all you want, it gives the rest of us something to read and comment on. Even if the comments aren't what you want to read.

Rinspeed
01-31-2010, 17:41
As Brian said Lighten up a bit and enjoy your Taurus, just be glad you don't own a Para. :rofl:

bac1023
01-31-2010, 17:44
Come back whenever you feel like engaging in a little more 1911 banter

:agree:

...and when you do, grow some thicker skin. :upeyes:

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2010, 17:48
See ya:wavey:......

Soooooooooooo, are ya takin your toys and going home?! :rofl:
You really need to lighten up Dude. Lots of good people here.
It seems you are faced with un-sugar coated brutal honesty.
Some like Mercedes, some like Cadillac,....and it seems you like Kia.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 17:57

Eyescream
01-31-2010, 17:58
I did that because I'm genuinely curious. You're not the first person here to have thrown a hissy fit when somebody said something uncomplimentary about your pistol of choice, and I want to know what drives that impulse.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 18:07

steve4102
01-31-2010, 18:57
45Super is a bad idea in ANY 1911.
:upeyes:

Why? Could you please elaborate a little on this?

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 18:59
I'm not offended about comments made about Taurus pistols. It's the air of superiority that some give off here that bothers me. In fact, one poster here is even starting a new thread about Taurus PT1911 insecurity!!!! I've never done anything to offend anyone here, and I've certainly never treated anyone like this on any forum I've ever been on. You can call it ribbing, or busting chops, but that's not the vibe I'm getting. If I'm wrong, I apologize.
Happy shooting!!!!

Tmygun

You call a normal desire for respect a hissy fit??? I've already told you I don't care what you say about Taurus or any other brand of gun.
I guess I've been raised the wrong way, the way of showing honor and respect. The problem is, is not that I'm thin skinned, but that many here have seemed to grow too thick skinned and calloused.

Tmygun
No one is insulting you as a person, nor is anyone going to insult you for your pistol choice. Eveyone here will be genuinly happy for you that you got a good PT1911. You cant ask us to agree with you that its a great pistol because yours is a good one when we have had experiences to tell us otherwise. There is no sense in rehashing it, as its been discussed previously in this thread.

I hope you decide to stick around, more people on the 1911 forum means more posts to read and comment on. Just dont get mad when we tell say that Taurus pt1911 is junk. I have a Pontiac bonneville, it was a good cheap choice when I bought it, I would do it over again if I could. Its still a piece of junk car.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 19:15

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 19:56
The thing that bothered me was not what you said (if you would've outright said the Taurus was a piece of junk, I would say ok, that's your opinion and I respect it), but it's how you were saying it. You make people feel belittled for even asking a question about a gun you dislike, and you go on a big roundabout way of saying it. I think attitudes like that would drive anyone away. Like I've said, on other forums if someone asked me a question about anything, I would answer with respect, no matter what I thought of the question, or gun, or whatever. This has never been about Taurus.
But I'll stick around and read and learn what I can.
Happy shooting!!!!:supergrin:

TmygunThats kind of the sense of humor that exists around here. Everyone gets used to certain debates, and when it gets started up again there is always a little joking about it. What happens a lot though is a relatively new member encounters this, and is offended by it, when no offense was meant at all. I think that if you stick around a little longer you will see what I mean, and probably join in.

A good example of this humor would be the infamous "cardboard box" thread or any of the Judge/Salma Hayak combo threads.:rofl:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882892&highlight=les+baer+cardboard+box
If you have a few hours, read that thread

bac1023
01-31-2010, 21:04
I've never done anything to offend anyone here, and I've certainly never treated anyone like this on any forum I've ever been on.

Nobody ever said you offended anyone. We're just giving honest opinions.

I also think members here are more straightforward than most other forums and generally more knowledgable too.

mickey24
01-31-2010, 21:18
Very happy with my Taurus 1911, had it for about a year and always go boom as does my PT 99 bought in 1985. Not one failure to feed or any other issue after all these years. Just recently had a gunsmith look at it and was impressed with how the gun has held up after all these years.

MD357
01-31-2010, 21:22
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll10/Loki99-photos/Francis.jpg

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 21:48

bac1023
01-31-2010, 21:52
:rofl:

ilgunguygt
01-31-2010, 22:10
Ok, Ok, So I got this Hi Point 45 that I want to trick out. Can anyone help me out?
Sorry, couldn't help myself:tongueout:.

Tmygun:supergrin:
Abso-FREAKING-lutely the best gun ever made!! Perfection! Wait, no thats someone else.......:rofl:

Eyescream
01-31-2010, 22:28
Why? Could you please elaborate a little on this?

I'm actually curious about this, too.

Ok, Ok, So I got this Hi Point 45 that I want to trick out. Can anyone help me out?
Sorry, couldn't help myself:tongueout:.

Tmygun:supergrin:

MUCH better. :thumbsup:

nastytrigger
02-01-2010, 17:51
Wait, my Springfield Armory Loaded says Brazil... uh oh... :supergrin:

We Brazilian-made gun people need to stick together!

bac1023
02-01-2010, 18:27
Wait, my Springfield Armory Loaded says Brazil... uh oh... :supergrin:

We Brazilian-made gun people need to stick together!

...big difference between IMBEL and Taurus. :whistling:

faawrenchbndr
02-01-2010, 20:08
If people stopped talking about PT1911s the vast majority of the traffic in this forum would suddenly die.

Naw,.....we would go back to talking about cardboard boxes! :rofl:

bac1023
02-01-2010, 20:36
Naw,.....we would go back to talking about cardboard boxes! :rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

FM12
02-12-2010, 22:50
My boss carries a PT 1911 as a duty weapon from time to time. Never failed him on the range and he qualifies in the 90s with it. He love his, 100% reliable so far!

ilgunguygt
02-13-2010, 12:42
My boss carries a PT 1911 as a duty weapon from time to time. Never failed him on the range and he qualifies in the 90s with it. He love his, 100% reliable so far!
How many rounds? Thats the real issue. There are good ones, its just the bad ones that make them suck.

kat1950
02-13-2010, 20:06
Got a good one, has a little over 2,500 rounds with not one problem,all types of ammo, pretty decent accuracy, mine has a very good slide to frame fit, overall a pretty tight gun, it does not compare to my Wilsons, Baers,Colts and Browns, but then again its 4 times cheaper. I have had RIA and feel this is steps above. Never thought I would be saying this about a Taurus much less own one, but this is a keeper for me.