About to buy a AR questions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a AR questions?

e popa
01-30-2010, 09:52
I dont know much about rifles ,Im just getting into them. I have always been a handgun guy. With that said I am about to purchase my first AR,I want to put a handgrip and a flashlight on my rifle. Can you put a rail on the stock foregrip or do you need to remove the stock foregrip and put on a differnt one to do this? Also how hard is it to change the stock? Sorry for all the noob questions but Im trying to learn.
TIA :wavey:

kgain673
01-30-2010, 10:09
Build one if you can, you will save money and you can make a sweet setup. But you don't get a warranty. If you are going to get an AR you need to decide what your purpose of use is, then we can go from there.

e popa
01-30-2010, 10:23
my purpose is ........just to have.

In case zombies ever come I will be ready.

RUSH2112
01-30-2010, 20:20
Can you put a rail on the stock foregrip or do you need to remove the stock foregrip and put on a differnt one to do this?

Yes they make rails for the M4 handguards. You need to remove the 2-piece handguard so you can bolt the rail onto it, then just put the handguard back on.

vafish
01-31-2010, 15:46
I dont know much about rifles ,Im just getting into them. I have always been a handgun guy. With that said I am about to purchase my first AR,I want to put a handgrip and a flashlight on my rifle. Can you put a rail on the stock foregrip or do you need to remove the stock foregrip and put on a differnt one to do this? Also how hard is it to change the stock? Sorry for all the noob questions but Im trying to learn.
TIA :wavey:

As already noted they do make rails to fit the stock hand guards. But you will get one rail on the top and one rail on the bottom. Not that best method for attaching a light and a vertical fore grip.

It might be better to remove the hand guards and replace them with a 4 rail hand guard. That will let you put the fore grip on the bottom and the light on either the left or right side.

Replacing a stock is pretty easy. You need a special wrench that costs about $6. Or you can get a combo wrench that does the barrel nut as well for $25.

To replace the M4 style stock you remove the buffer and spring, then loosen the castle nut with the special wrench. Next you push down on the buffer retaining pin and unscrew the stock. Be careful not to lose the buffer retaining pin or the rear take down pin retainer and spring.

To remove the A2 style stock remove the straight slotted screw, remove the stock, push down on the buffer retainer pin and unscrew the buffer tube.

RUSH2112
01-31-2010, 16:08
If you're just replacing the stock you don't need to remove anything other than sliding off the old one and sliding on the new one. I don't think you need to remove the buffer, spring, etc unless you're installing a whole kit.

Also, I removed the old handguard without a tool. But I would get the handguard tool if I planned on replacing them routinely.

DaveCharlie09
01-31-2010, 16:19
Head on over to www.m4carbine.net (http://www.m4carbine.net) . The folks there are quite knowledgeable and are always willing to lend advice to new AR folks. They will steer you clear of products to avoid, and tell you where your money is best spent.