AR-10 as an all around rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 as an all around rifle?

Beware Owner
01-30-2010, 09:44
I'm almost convinced that the AR-10 is the best all around rifle for me. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of this being my go-to rifle for most situations?

txpitdog
01-30-2010, 20:54
I feel/felt the same way. Now I've got an AR-15, and I honestly believe it is more versatile than the AR-10. Mine is a DPMS AP4 and shoots 1-1.5MOA, but I would take the AR-15 over it for the following reasons:

.308 ammo is twice as expensive as .223
.308 mags hold 19rds vs. 30 for the .223
The AR-10 is heavier than the AR-15
.308 ammo is heavier and bulkier than .223 ammo

Man or beast inside 100yds, the .223 is plenty effective for practical purposes, so it is unlikely that the .308's power would reduce the needed number of rounds fired to achieve the same result.

The .308 has the advantage in effective range, same impact energy at 300yds that the .223 has at the muzzle (power), and it penetrates hard targets better. It's just not likely that you'll need that much oomph for any kind of tactical purpose other than sniping. I will likely be trading my AP4 upper for the DPMS A3 Classic (20") upper and adding a Millet DMS-1 scope. For me, I would use the AR-10 or .308 battle rifle for more stationary defense like defending the home in PAW, SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI situations, where the AR-15 is a more mobile platform.

Regardless though, if you can get an AR-10 and can stock up 1000 rounds, it is a very very comforting and reassuring feeling knowing that if you can hit it you will drop it.

www.atlanticfirearms.com has re-built CETME .308 battle rifles for $499. New barrels and refinished. If you went this route, you could get one of the bargain bin CMMG AR-15's and come out for the same cost as a new DPMS .308. The JLD PTR91, HK91, RRA LAR, and Armalite AR-10 are all going to be more expensive.

Alaskapopo
01-31-2010, 04:32
I'm almost convinced that the AR-10 is the best all around rifle for me. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of this being my go-to rifle for most situations?

The AR10 has more power but its not as reliable in my experience its also harder to shoot in CQB situations due to the greater recoil.
Pat

Alaskapopo
01-31-2010, 04:47
.308 ammo is twice as expensive as .223
.308 mags hold 19rds vs. 30 for the .223
The AR-10 is heavier than the AR-15
.308 ammo is heavier and bulkier than .223 ammo

Little off here. I have 25 round mags for my AR10. I also have 48 round mags for my AR. Not to mention a 100 round Beta C.
Pat

WayaX
01-31-2010, 05:17
Save up for both. In most cases .308 win is too much for home defense because you risk severe over penetration. Also as Pat said, the AR15 works a bit better for CQB.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the AR-10. If I were getting another .308 it'd be either an FAL (which I already have one), an M1A, or an HK91 (in that order). I'd also really like an LWRC REPR, but until the price drops to reasonable (around $2500) and parts become more plentiful, I'll wait.

Jumper
01-31-2010, 17:50
I have an AR10 and an AR15 carbine. The only reason I bought the AR15 is because it has a lot of firepower. 30rnd mags, reasonable ammo and mag prices means I can go bang a lot of times. Its a small maneuverable firearm good for CQB stuff. I feel well armed with it available around the house. If I had to choose only one of them it would be the AR10. Everytime. Just because I can engage targets a lot further away than I can with the carbine. It will penetrate barriers much better than the 223. A guy named Ferfal (google for info) survived the argentinian collapse in the 90's(?) and wrote quite extensively on the things he thought would would be REALLY nice to have if he had to live through it again. For a rifle he said he would have given his left nut for a battle rifle in 308. He dismissed the .223 because it can't really shoot through barriers. He said you can pin down someone behind cover with its firepower but what then? Call in an airstrike? A 308 can turn a lot of cover into simple concealment. I guess I just think its a better weapon than the carbine.

Alaskapopo
01-31-2010, 18:02
They have loads for the .223 that will penetrate through cover. The problem is you can't have a load that is good at penetrating and that is also good at stopping. There are trade offs. The .308 has excellent power and range but sucks in CQB situations due to its recoil.
Here is a simple drill I did with my AR10 carbine and a variety of AR's and AK's.
3 targets at 7 yards spaced 3 yards apart. I fired 2 into each target starting from the low ready.
Here are the results.
.308's

Gun AR10 carbine Aimpoint M4 2moa dot no muzzle brake just a huge flash hider.

1. 3.17
2. 2.88
3. 2.84
4. 2.72
5. 2.83
Average time 2.89

HITS

T1 4 A 2C 3D 1M
T2 9A 1C
T3 8A 2C

Total hits: 21 A 5 C 3D 1 M (miss)

(Did so bad the first day I tried the AR10 again. I had to slow down to get my hits)

AR10 12-1-09

Time

1. 3.95
2. 4.04
3. 3.42
4. 3.22
5. 3.33
6. 3.03

Average: 3.50

Hits
T1 10 A 2 C
T2 11 A 1 C
T3 8 A 4C

Total 29A 7 C

5.56 AR's

Colt 6920 Aimpoint (Flash hider no comp)

TIME
1. 2.87
2. 3.08
3. 2.79
4. 2.75
5. 2.87
Average 2.87

HITS

T1 8A 2C
T2 9A 1C
T3 8A 2C

Total hits 25A 5C

GUN Noveske N4 carbine Aimpoint T1 used.

TIME

1. 2.69
2. 3.07
3. 2.58
4. 2.58
5. 2.29 (one shot not fired so I am not averaging it in for the time)

Average time for first 4 strings 2.73 seconds.

HITS

T1 8 Alpha 2 Charlie
T2 9 Alpha 1 Charlie
T3 4 Alpha 5 Charlie (one shot was not fired)

TOTAL HITS: 21 A 8C (one round not fired)

N4 just ACOG (TA33 fixed 3 power)

TIME

1. 2.64
2. 2.67
3. 2.80
4. 2.59
5. 2.63

Average time 2.67

HITS

T1 8A 2C
T2 7A 3C
T3 8A 2C

Total hits : 23 A 7C

Gun Larue Stealth Rifle Swarovski Z6i set at 1x

TIME

1. 2.52
2. 2.59
3. 2.50
4. 2.56
5. 2.69

Average Time 2.57

HITS

T1 9A 1C
T2 10A
T3 8A 2C

TOTAL Hits: 27 A 3 C

Gun Saber Defense AR15 A2 (IRONS)

1. 2,57
2. 2.44
3. 2.49
4. 2.62
5. 2.66

Average time 2,56

HITS

T1 9A 1C
T2 9A 1D
T3 7A 3C

TOTAL hits: 25 A 4 C 1D

VIDEOS of yours truly.
MAK 90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSNdlDMpiM

Saiga AK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3i_n7LuP0 (Shooting)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFbYB55mis (targets)

AR10 first day when I was faster but sucked on hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyOusJghBw

AR10 on the second day (when I slowed down a bit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3b6Fif-xE

Colt 6920 Aimpoint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlJVVZDx68

Noveske (using Aimpoint T1 in Larue off set mount)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi7DKYdU6Q8

Noveske (using ACOG)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksh8WqmXNIY

Larue Stealth with Swarovski
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyAJAC1-Ufs

Saber Defense A2 (Irons)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDBqlNeoJG8 Shooting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=721rZXLU1dg Targets

Assault rifle cartridges have less recoil and are a lot easier to manage when the fight is close and fast. If you truly want the best of power and range in a assault rifle platform then the 6.8 is the round for you.
Pat

PlasticGuy
01-31-2010, 23:08
I recently read an article that asserted that none of the AR10's is quite "there" yet, and I agree. They all have flaws and weaknesses that can appear under the right circumstances or after enough rounds have passed through them. I do like the .308 cartridge a lot, and have found that there is more to cartridge effectiveness than how fast I can shoot triple taps, but none of the AR10's would make my list of top choices for a .308 battle rifle.

I prefer a good FAL carbine, though I would be perfectly content with an M1a Scout or HK91 carbine. All are battle proven designs.

GIockGuy24
01-31-2010, 23:41
7.62 is usually more reliable that 5.56. One reason is feeding the larger diameter cartridge id less touchy. Another is the chamber pressure is not at magnum rifle pressure that 5.56 is. The biggest thing making it more reliable is the heavy extraction rim. The 5.56 has a thin and often weak rim.

Now not many AR10's are made to military specs. There is a large variation in designs from different companies and due to lower production some cost cutting is made to keep prices competitive. Replacement parts can be an issue. Armalite makes there rifles so tight for accuracy that reliability can suffer. The M14 magazine is the most reliable 7.62 magazine design though. DPMS seems to make a more reliable AR10 type rifle, unlike their AR15's, but DPMS makes their rifles using cheaper, weaker materials. Though they may be strong enough. DPMS receivers are made of lower grade aluminum than Armalite receivers. The original AR10 aluminum waffle magazines were made to be throw-aways and didn't hold up to many reloads. The newer steel magazines can be a short in the cartridge length accepted but the Knight's Armaments magazine don't seem to have this problem. The Bushmaster FAL magazines are not a good choice with a rotating bolt. Also the Bushmaster bolt has smaller / shorter bolt lugs to fit the FAL magazines.

I did an interesting test. In the Armalite AR10 the bolt to carrier fit is tighter than in an AR15 M16. I removed the gas ring from the Armalite AR10 bolt and fit was tight enough and the cartridge develops enough gas, that the action cycled and functioned 100% with no gas rings. I prefer the design of the DPMS but knowing the material is not as strong as some others can be a weakness. Some of 5.56 DPMS AR15's are terrible quality with their imported parts. Armalite does use the best magazines in the AR10 but the tight fitting of certain parts can stop things when they get dirty or fouled.

The better military rifle designs have no recoiling parts inside the buttstock and don't use the stock and / or trigger housing to hold the rifle assembly together. Good examples would be the H&K G3, the folding stock FN FAL and the 7.62x51 Galil. A broken stock or buttstock could stop some other rifles.

Alaskapopo
01-31-2010, 23:48
7.62 is usually more reliable that 5.56. One reason is feeding the larger diameter cartridge id less touchy. Another is the chamber pressure is not at magnum rifle pressure that 5.56 is. The biggest thing making it more reliable is the heavy extraction rim. The 5.56 has a thin and often weak rim.

Now not many AR10's are made to military specs. There is a large variation in designs from different companies and due to lower production some cost cutting is made to keep prices competitive. Replacement parts can be an issue. Armalite makes there rifles so tight for accuracy that reliability can suffer. The M14 magazine is the most reliable 7.62 magazine design though. DPMS seems to make a more reliable AR10 type rifle, unlike their AR15's, but DPMS makes their rifles using cheaper, weaker materials. Though they may be strong enough. DPMS receivers are made of lower grade aluminum than Armalite receivers. The original AR10 aluminum waffle magazines were made to be throw-aways and didn't hold up to many reloads. The newer steel magazines can be a short in the cartridge length accepted but the Knight's Armaments magazine don't seem to have this problem. The Bushmaster FAL magazines are not a good choice with a rotating bolt. Also the Bushmaster bolt has smaller / shorter bolt lugs to fit the FAL magazines.

I did an interesting test. In the Armalite AR10 the bolt to carrier fit is tighter than in an AR15 M16. I removed the gas ring from the Armalite AR10 bolt and fit was tight enough and the cartridge develops enough gas, that the action cycled and functioned 100% with no gas rings. I prefer the design of the DPMS but knowing the material is not as strong as some others can be a weakness. Some of 5.56 DPMS AR15's are terrible quality with their imported parts. Armalite does use the best magazines in the AR10 but the tight fitting of certain parts can stop things when they get dirty or fouled.

The better military rifle designs have no recoiling parts inside the buttstock and don't use the stock and / or trigger housing to hold the rifle assembly together. Good examples would be the H&K G3, the folding stock FN FAL and the 7.62x51 Galil. A broken stock or buttstock could stop some other rifles.

Hate to tell you but Armalites magazines are one of the biggest problem with their rifles. Being a owner of 2 of them. I can tell you the mags are the weak link not the strength.
Pat

GIockGuy24
02-01-2010, 09:37
Hate to tell you but Armalites magazines are one of the biggest problem with their rifles. Being a owner of 2 of them. I can tell you the mags are the weak link not the strength.
Pat

That's an issue with magazine quality. The M-14 magazine design is the most reliable design. The quality og magazines varies a lot. 20 years used USGI magazines went for $4 a piece. At that time there were "unissued", "new in the wrapper" "USGI" magazines that sold for much more only they didn't work. At that time it was thought, even by "experts" that they were rejected USGI magazines. These days it's now claimed they were or are fake copies that even have the USGI packaging copied. These magazine even had Armalite fooled. Armalite used to sell conversion kits and instructions to do it yourself. A couple of other companies started making AR10 magazine conversion kits that don't function correctly. The last I heard, Armalite quit selling conversion kits and now only sells complete magazines and had a program of swapping unconverted USGI magazines but I think now even the magazine swapping may have quit.

It's very difficult to tell certain copies from original magazines. About the best commercial magazines are the CMI M14 magazines. If you have problem magazines, replace them. Sell them and buy different ones. The replacements may even be bad so it does take a bit of work these days. It's not the fault of the magazine design but substandard copies of the magazines. There are companies that even copy the Armalite magazine conversions, so you can get magazines with both a bad copy of an M14 magazine and a bad copy of the AR10 conversion. If your followers are real Armalite, you might keep them and use the parts on some CMI magazines. I know there are many bad magazines around. There are also good magazines.

jobob
02-01-2010, 10:37
308 more reliable than 223? Really?

From what I've seen at 3gun matches, the 'Heavy Metal' guys (shooting 308's) have a hard time getting through a match without multiple malfunctions. My DPMS 308 is VERY tight, and has been anything but reliable (that's slowly changing as I shoot it and it gets broke in). The DPMS 308 mags I have seem to be pretty poor. Now that Magpul is making 308 mags my mag problem will (hopefully) go away, though.

Beware Owner
02-01-2010, 13:29
Dang. See, I like the AR15, a lot. Just that it doesn't penetrate much. The 7.62x39 will hurt more than a little bit, but the sights and accuracy aren't as good, not as versatile, and bulkier. I got tired of looking at either, so I'm looking for a caliber that has both penetration, some distance, strong impact, and a versatile platform.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 14:50
That's an issue with magazine quality. The M-14 magazine design is the most reliable design.

Frankly I would like to see your proof to that statement. Sounds like conjecture to me. Where are the tests showing how various 308 magazines perform. I sure have not seen any. Also all my AR10 mags are from Armalite directly not copies. Armalite has had to redesign its mag to make it more reliable. The issue I have with them is when you seat the magazine on on open bolt the top rounds would pop out. Unless you went very slow and gingerly. Not acceptable on a combat weapon.
Pat

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 15:15

From what I've seen at 3gun matches, the 'Heavy Metal' guys (shooting 308's) have a hard time getting through a match without multiple malfunctions. My DPMS 308 is VERY tight, and has been anything but reliable (that's slowly changing as I shoot it and it gets broke in). The DPMS 308 mags I have seem to be pretty poor. Now that Magpul is making 308 mags my mag problem will (hopefully) go away, though.

Your right on with this assement. The AR10 in general is a much more trouble prone weapon system than the AR15. Mostly because the AR15 has undergone over 40 plus years of tweaking for combat use. The AR10 was shelved for a lot of those years.
Pat

GIockGuy24
02-01-2010, 15:18
Frankly I would like to see your proof to that statement. Sounds like conjecture to me. Where are the tests showing how various 308 magazines perform. I sure have not seen any. Also all my AR10 mags are from Armalite directly not copies. Armalite has had to redesign its mag to make it more reliable. The issue I have with them is when you seat the magazine on on open bolt the top rounds would pop out. Unless you went very slow and gingerly. Not acceptable on a combat weapon.
Pat

I have seen tests of 7.62 magazines. The M14 magazine has the least resistance to feed a cartridge. It takes the least force. The original AR10 waffle magazines were terrible when new and didn't hold up well. FAL and G3 magazines are not designed to use with a rotating bolt. There are a lot of out of spec "fake" M14 magazines. When these are converted for the AR10 they don't work well. Then there are fake AR10 magazines and conversion kits and followers. If your magazines are bad, try some different magazines. Cartridges popping out is not normal.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 15:54
I have seen tests of 7.62 magazines. The M14 magazine has the least resistance to feed a cartridge. It takes the least force. The original AR10 waffle magazines were terrible when new and didn't hold up well. FAL and G3 magazines are not designed to use with a rotating bolt. There are a lot of out of spec "fake" M14 magazines. When these are converted for the AR10 they don't work well. Then there are fake AR10 magazines and conversion kits and followers. If your magazines are bad, try some different magazines. Cartridges popping out is not normal.

Actually the cartridge popping out happens with all my AR10 mags from the 10 rounders to the 25. I believe part of the problem is the easy of feeding you mention. Not much is holding the rounds in the mag. Again I purchased my mags directly from Armalite and they are not fake.
Pat

Mayhem like Me
02-01-2010, 18:22

Do you just make this stuff up??
NONE of the bolts rotate untill the round is chambered so this is a non event in the design of the weapon magazine.

G3 magazines are amount the most robust and best designed magazine available you dont find a G3 or 91 with feed problems.

The amount of friction to feed the cartridge is very subjective and based on spring strength and other tolerance issues.

The FAL magazine is about the easiest feed as the feed lips for the FAL are actually machined into the reciever, not the magazine body so the FAL as a very easy feed, which is why they suck in an AR style rifle, the Ar style needs a strong magazine lip to hold the round in position for proper feed.

Since these are all basically push feed systems the rotationg bolt is a non issue.

GIockGuy24
02-01-2010, 18:47
Actually the cartridge popping out happens with all my AR10 mags from the 10 rounders to the 25. I believe part of the problem is the easy of feeding you mention. Not much is holding the rounds in the mag. Again I purchased my mags directly from Armalite and they are not fake.
Pat

If I remember correctly, from the conversion instructions, the M14 spring is suppose to have too much tension for the AR10 according to Armalite. The M14 springs are suppose to be shortened. Depending on how much, this may cause too little tension but I suspect the springs aren't USGI spring quality and have lost their tension. There are companies that sell magazine sprigs for the AR10 that are 10% greater in tension. Armalite says the standard M14 magazine spring tension is already too great. It might be time to try different magazine springs. I believe your mags are from Armalite but the newer ones aren't made from from USGI parts and there was always some question if the so called USGI magazines were real. I converted my magazines from USED USGI magazines. At the time I bought them there were "new in the wrapper USGI" magazines that were known to be defective. Later it was thought the defective mags were really good looking copies. Armalite goes light on the magazine springs. The newer Armalite magazines are using some new springs that may not be as good in quality.

RWBlue
02-01-2010, 19:06
ferfal, is a great guy. I agree with a lot of what he has to say, but he is not a gun guru.. I consider many here more knowledgeable about guns.

As I understand it, the armalite AR-10 magazine issue has gone away, but you have to buy your magazines from armalite.

223 has lighter, cheaper ammo with less recoil than 308 ammo.

RWBlue
02-01-2010, 19:08
Alaskapopo, stop removing videos.

Mayhem like Me
02-01-2010, 19:12
My armalite was finiky to get running 100% and the 308 guns are pretty much all like this when you field them...even the newly fielded Knight offerings,,, I have two friends right now running them in a very sandy dry place.
They are not as plug and play as the 5.56 couterparts...

Beware Owner
02-01-2010, 19:28
So, tell me, guys, what barriers does the 5.56 NOT pentrate so well (and at what distance) that it becomes a weakness versus it's more powerful counterparts? I mean, it's a great round, in a great platform. If you ask me, near perfect. NEAR is the operative word here.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 19:28
Alaskapopo, stop removing videos.

Which ones?
Pat

GIockGuy24
02-01-2010, 19:30
Do you just make this stuff up??
NONE of the bolts rotate untill the round is chambered so this is a non event in the design of the weapon magazine.

G3 magazines are amount the most robust and best designed magazine available you dont find a G3 or 91 with feed problems.

The amount of friction to feed the cartridge is very subjective and based on spring strength and other tolerance issues.

The FAL magazine is about the easiest feed as the feed lips for the FAL are actually machined into the reciever, not the magazine body so the FAL as a very easy feed, which is why they suck in an AR style rifle, the Ar style needs a strong magazine lip to hold the round in position for proper feed.

Since these are all basically push feed systems the rotationg bolt is a non issue.

The G3 has a much heavier recoil spring than the AR10. Ease of feeding from the magazine is not as much an issue with that much spring pushing on the bolt. The AR10 designs that use FAL magazines have to shorten the bolt lugs to begin to work with the FAL magazine. The FAL magazine won't clear a standard AR10 bolt unless the magazine is mounted lower but the problem then is the magazine won't feed the chamber with the magazine that low in the receiver. Armalite chose the M14 magazine and then made an adjustable receiver to determine the best position of the magazine in the receiver.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 19:31
So, tell me, guys, what barriers does the 5.56 NOT pentrate so well (and at what distance) that it becomes a weakness versus it's more powerful counterparts? I mean, it's a great round, in a great platform. If you ask me, near perfect. NEAR is the operative word here.

The 5.56 has a hard time on windshield glass, common building materials like sheet rock, plywood etc. If you want more penetration you need to go with a bonded bullet but then you lose fragmentation and as a result tissue damage. It has problems with these barriers at point blank range.
Pat

Beware Owner
02-01-2010, 19:43
The 5.56 has a hard time on windshield glass, common building materials like sheet rock, plywood etc. If you want more penetration you need to go with a bonded bullet but then you lose fragmentation and as a result tissue damage. It has problems with these barriers at point blank range.
Pat

So, you still recommend the 6.8? Do you have any experience with this? I reload, so I'm not worried about availability or prices any time soon.

thisaway
02-01-2010, 19:50

My DPMS .308 must be a twin to yours! It was unreliable when I first got it, but now that I've used it some (and changed a few parts) it is doing much better. I put a fixed stock, extra-heavy buffer spring, and an Enidine Recoil ARrestor buffer in it. I have also purchased two C-Products 20-round mags and three MagPul P308 mags and I like them all better than the OEM mags.

My rifle definitely demands high-quality ammo, though. It really likes the Winchester "white box", no failures with it so far. I had some of the old Norinco copper-colored ammo and I experienced chambering malfunctions. I also tried some Pakistani mil-surp in it and had a case rim tear off, leaving the case stuck in the chamber---had to put a cleaning rod down the bore to knock it out. (Since I had a case separation with this stuff in my FAL too, I refuse to use it anymore.)

Also, this rifle is heavy. I would much rather carry an AR15 around than this beast. Fortunately, it's unlikely I will ever have to carry it into combat.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 20:01
So, you still recommend the 6.8? Do you have any experience with this? I reload, so I'm not worried about availability or prices any time soon.

I have no personal experience with this round at this time. But it looks great on paper and it is highly recommended by many people I respect like Dr. Roberts. From what I have been able to read the 6.8 is more reliable than the 308 AR10 series. If I had to do it over again I would not have taken the .308 round and would have went 6.8 instead for my precision rifle and possibly for my patrol rifle as well.
Pat

Beware Owner
02-01-2010, 20:18
I have no personal experience with this round at this time. But it looks great on paper and it is highly recommended by many people I respect like Dr. Roberts. From what I have been able to read the 6.8 is more reliable than the 308 AR10 series. If I had to do it over again I would not have taken the .308 round and would have went 6.8 instead for my precision rifle and possibly for my patrol rifle as well.
Pat

If you can possibly trust it to protect yourself and the American people, I can possibly trust it to protect myself and mine. I shall be looking into it more thoroughly. :thumbsup:

RWBlue
02-01-2010, 20:21
Which ones?
Pat

Saiga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFbYB55mis

Noveske (using ACOG)

:wavey:

Mayhem like Me
02-01-2010, 20:22
I have a custom 6.8 I highly reccomend the Silver state arms Combat loading specifically the 110 grain version....25 rounds of 6.8 is a great sense of comfort.

Beware Owner
02-01-2010, 20:23
I have a custom 6.8 I highly reccomend the Silver state arms Combat loading specifically the 110 grain version....25 rounds of 6.8 is a great sense of comfort.

Pics, please? :supergrin:

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 20:38
Saiga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhFbYB55mis

Noveske (using ACOG)

:wavey:

Sorry about that forgot I removed those ones.
Here is one with the saiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j3i_n7LuP0

Here is a mak 90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSNdlDMpiM

Ar10 drill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3b6Fif-xE

crenca
02-01-2010, 21:51
Go to:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19884

and

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

For info on 6.8. Skip the expensive PRI and Barrett mags and go with the C-Products as they are inexpensive and they work (had teething problems at first)...

FatBoy
02-02-2010, 06:52
I have both, and currently I would still go w/ the 5.56, but that is mostly because I many more rounds down the pipe. I have not had the time or money to shoot a 1000 or so rounds through my AR10. All my AR10 mags take 20/25rds. It's a nice little package w/ 16" bbl, 6 pos stock and 3x ACOG. It will shoot about 1.5" w/ good ammo (Fed GGM or TRU). I might FF the BBL at some point, but can't right now. Only time will tell if it will be reliable enough for PD use.

The 5.56 is nice w/ FF 16" bbl w/ 3.5x ACOG. Plus, the better 1/2 also has a 5.56. So that would get the nod currently.
FB