Vickers Tactical class S/A loaded or ???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical class S/A loaded or ????

abraves
01-30-2010, 14:19
Would you take a S/A Loaded SS to a Vickers Tactical 1911 Operator class? Would that be a good choice or should I look at a Kimber TLE which is 2 oz lighter? I also have a Kimber Pro CDP but I think the heavier frame would be an advantage. I am looking at taking the class in Sept so if I get a different gun I would have time to run a couple thousand rounds through it. I know the stainless would get all marred up which I don't care. I would need to get night sites installed. Any advice from the pros would be great.

abraves

L-2
01-30-2010, 15:32
deleted

Mayhem like Me
02-02-2010, 08:39
I would use the springer if you get rid of the two piece guide rod I have never seen one that does not unscrew when run hard.. new springs good mags and a GI guide and plug and quility lube you should be good to go,
The TLE would run out of the box but again get good mags the Kimber one piece rod is not my preference, but I have not seen them fail.

nastytrigger
02-02-2010, 13:28
I had my Loaded at a Gunsite class (standard GI plug, S&A magwell, and Davidson grips being my changes made) Not for a pistol class, carbine. Mainly used just in transitions. I use my G19 for all others classes since it's my primary. Springfield mags did pretty well believe it or not, used Wilsons mostly.

PlasticGuy
02-02-2010, 14:22
I agree with the crew. Ditch that two piece guide rod for a basic GI system, buy some Wilson 47d mags, and you'll be good to go. The Operator is as good a 1911 as you can get without spending quite a bit more money. Mine is not the equal of my Les Baers, but it is a very good production 1911.

As an aside, mine actually came with a GI recoil assembly. Not sure if that's standard now, or if the previous owner swapped it out.

chuckman
02-02-2010, 14:45
It doesn't matter. Whatever you take, take the other as a back-up ("two is one, one is none"). I see you are in Wilmington. Are you taking his class in September?

abraves
02-02-2010, 15:01
That is my plan at this point. I was laid off at the end of the year so obviously I will need to get a job to be able to afford it. Hopefully it doesn't book up too soon.

abraves

up1911fan
02-02-2010, 16:16
Good luck on it not filling up to soon. I hope you get in but they usually fill up fairly quick.

Navitimer
02-02-2010, 18:47
Of the two my personal preference would be the Kimber TLE II. The Springer is a great 1911 too, I'm just partial to Kimbers. As you may know the TLE II has been tested by law enforcement (LA SWAT, if I'm not mistaken) and mine has been the epitome of reliable.

chuckman
02-02-2010, 19:18
That is my plan at this point. I was laid off at the end of the year so obviously I will need to get a job to be able to afford it. Hopefully it doesn't book up too soon.

abraves

I'm thinking about it, but the other poster nailed it...that class tends to book up quickly. I took Vickers' advanced pistol marksmanship back in November and had a great time. I'm on the fence about the 1911 operator's class.

Grey Group Training, the outfit coordinating his classes now, is good to work with. If you sign up they'll ping your credit card to ensure you have a good card, but they won't actually charge your card until about 2 weeks before the class. I don't know if that info will be helpful in deciding if you can take the class.

abraves
02-02-2010, 20:08
I will do what I can do. The last thing I need to do is to charge my cc and then not be able to get a job. I am not real worried about it though. I have a good friend of mine that is a part time instructor with Tier One. He teaches the M9 and M4. Also teaches the Bushmaster armorer class to law enforcement. Tier One has a civilian side (can't remember the name) he said he would hook me up. I really would like to take a class geared to the 1911. That is why this one grabbed my attention. We shall see.

abraves

chuckman
02-03-2010, 06:24
I will do what I can do. The last thing I need to do is to charge my cc and then not be able to get a job. I am not real worried about it though. I have a good friend of mine that is a part time instructor with Tier One. He teaches the M9 and M4. Also teaches the Bushmaster armorer class to law enforcement. Tier One has a civilian side (can't remember the name) he said he would hook me up. I really would like to take a class geared to the 1911. That is why this one grabbed my attention. We shall see.

abraves

I haven't been to Tier 1's Goldsboro range, though I know exactly where it is. I hear good things about them and it sounds like a good resource. Good luck with figuring out the courses...so many courses, so little time (and money).

abraves
02-03-2010, 07:44
You got that right. So many courses I would like to take but limited time and $$. Tier 1 is building a new facility in Knoxville, TN area. My buddy says that is going to be a great place. He is trying to get on with them full time. He is a wonderful instructor. I spend many an hour shooting with him. He will wear you out mentally and you won't even shoot that many rounds but you are exhausted.

abraves

Ryobi
02-03-2010, 09:19
Excellent gun. Of course it'll be fine for the class.

Cruiser702
02-03-2010, 10:47
The last thing I need to do is to charge my cc and then not be able to get a job.

+1, best wishes with the job hunt. Hang in there! :)