Gun Smith only Forum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Smith only Forum

aippi
01-30-2010, 14:37
This site would benefit by a "gun Smith Only" page. On this page the site would pre-approve "gun smiths" and Armorers" by verifying their Credentials and Certification. These would be the only members allowed to respond to questions posted on that thread and only answer for question on weapons they are certified to work on or on General Gun Smithing. For example: I am a Certified Remington Law Enforcement Armorer and wold only answer questions on the 870, 11-87 and 700. I am an Authorized Remington Parts Dealer and could answer Remington parts and Accessory question.
Questions would have to involve the repair of a weapon or installation of parts that are involved in the operation of the weapon.
At present, you have guys responding to post and giving advise that not only risk damage to the weapon but can render the weapon unsafe. You have no way to know the qualification of the person.
This new forum would provide a place for "Correct Answers" . When I answer a question I am liable for what I tell you to do to a Remington and all my answers take that in to consideration as I am Certified by Remington, owner a business that repairs these weapons and I have liability Insurance.
There are hundreds of Clock, Sig, Colt, Remington, Mossberg and other Armorers out there. There are Gun Smiths on this site that have been working on weapons for many years. I am sure that several for each brand would participate and more in General Gun Smithing.
Anyone can of course post their questions in general forums and any member respond, however, this new forum gives them expert advise.
If you think this is a good idea then contact the owners of this site suggest this also.

aippi
01-31-2010, 22:14
Well the amount of replies shows this was another stupid idea of mine. I may get a good idea some day 'cause even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

KinderGlocken
01-31-2010, 22:30
It may sound like a good idea to you but it would be a logistics nightmare policing it.

Sweet17
02-01-2010, 03:55
Sounds good to me,give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained I always say.

silentpoet
02-01-2010, 04:12
Good idea, but wrong forum for making the suggestion.

vafish
02-01-2010, 12:27
There already is a gun smithing forum on Glock Talk

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

I agree with Kinderglocking it would be a nightmare to police and administer.

How are you going to verify credentials?

Who's certification will you accept?

What about the self taught gun smith that never got any certifications but still does just as good of work?

What do you do when 2 certified gunsmiths give opposite answers?

It's an interesting concept, it would really be up to Eric if he wanted it.

For now the only thing to do is continue the way we have and if you see someone recommending something that is unsafe or against the best practice based upon your certifications then call them on the carpet and tell them the way it should be.

Another option is for the certified armorers and guns smiths to place that information in their signature block. That allows the person asking the question to at least consider the source.

If someone looks at your signature block and mine it's pretty obvious who they should listen to about Remington repairs.

Victoriagotagun
02-01-2010, 13:15
Another option is for the certified armorers and guns smiths to place that information in their signature block. That allows the person asking the question to at least consider the source.

If someone looks at your signature block and mine it's pretty obvious who they should listen to about Remington repairs.

The problem with that is anybody can put anything in their signature block.

aippi
02-01-2010, 13:36
Vafish, the thread is dead....... as you and kinderclocken pointed out it would be a lot of work.

I am sure someone is going to come up with a web site for this, kind of the Web MD for guns.

Glocktalk is one of the better sites for guns on the web and if the idea will not float here then it will not work on any site in a forum format.

You guys will never be victems of bad info as I have seen your post and you have a lot of gun knowledge, in fact, more then me as I only know the Remingtons and don't even work on my own handguns or Rifles. Other guys will just learn the hard way.

dirtdiver
02-01-2010, 15:23
Maybe you should start your own forum, then you could do what ever you want.

aippi
02-01-2010, 17:53
I just recently learned how to receive a fax so that statement should give you the idea that I don't have the knowledge to do something like build and manage a site like this.

Someone is goint to come up with a new site that is like the Web MD of guns. You post a question and a qualified smith or armorer gives you and answer. You then know what to expect when you take the weapon in for repair. Or, it could be somthing very simple. For example: On one of these sites a guy posted that his 870 would not cock the hammer back when he racked it back....It was working before he cleaned it.......well, all the well meaning guys had him buying a new breech bolt, new slide, new trigger plate assembly. The number one response was Sending it in to Remington for repair. I simply asked him to check to see if the sear spring had come off and sure enough, Weapon repaired. So a correct reply saved the guy some time and money.

Someone smarter then me will come up with that web site and it is going to be one of the guys that founded and manage sites like this one right here.

dirtdiver
02-02-2010, 11:39
I would subscribe to your forum. There is a lot to learn and you have a lot of knowledge to offer.

:)

vafish
04-05-2010, 13:21
JD It looks like your idea was ahead of it's time.

Eric's new Go Ask The Experts (GATE) forums seem to address the policing and silly arguments.

I notice Eric doesn't have a Tactical Shotguns GATE Forum yet.

MAX100
04-05-2010, 15:04
Shotgun World & The Firing Line both have a gunsmith forum section. Many Gunsmith don't know everything and some suck; the same goes for some so called Armorers. There would still be some bad advice given.

GC

bsg1
04-07-2010, 00:04
good idea aippi....

-Brady-