Just greased my bolts.........wow are they slick [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just greased my bolts.........wow are they slick

madecov
01-30-2010, 15:03
I'm one of those guys that tries all the newest Uber cool lubricants and cleaners.

In a thread over on arfcom folks discussed using grease on the bolt as a lube. I stopped into a local pep boys and picked up a can of Mobile 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. I pulled my bolts and lubed them using just a tiny amount that was stuck to the top of the can. I cycled the bolts and I can say it is super slick when hand cycling.

I've been using grease on my pistol slides for years with no ill effect so this stuff should work well for that also.

A small can was under $9.00 and will last a lifetime or two or three.

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2010, 15:28
Interesting,.......courious to see how many rounds this will last before is chokes.

RWBlue
01-30-2010, 15:33
You just greased your what?
Oh, you bolt, never mide

madecov
01-30-2010, 16:12
Interesting,.......courious to see how many rounds this will last before is chokes.

Why? I've heard of lots of folks using a synthetic grease on the bolt.

In any event once I get out and fire it I'll let folks know if it works or not.

Ljunatic
01-30-2010, 17:42
I could see using a little grease on the rails where the bolt rides in the upper, but the bolt lugs and rings ...I stick with Slip EWL. I have some machine gunners lube, but I haven't cracked that open yet

madecov
01-30-2010, 17:47
Ok, rephrase.

Bolt carrier

ArmoryDoc
01-30-2010, 18:05
I am using Mobile 1 5w-20 synthetic oil in lieu of grease. Seems to be the perfect consistency and doesn't migrate or run.

faawrenchbndr
01-30-2010, 18:13
Ok, rephrase.

Bolt carrier

Still a large amount of carbon getting in there. Grease plus
carbon equals peanut butter after a buch of shooting.

I like my Militech 1, I will try Slip EWL when the Militech 1 is gone.
Will swing over to ARFcom tomorrow and check it out. Been shooting
the platform 25 years and have never used grease. :dunno:

DougW
01-30-2010, 19:21
I use grease on my M1 Garand and M1 carbine. CLP on all the AR's, gun oil on the Enfields. I go with what is recomended by the users (which is usually the Army, US or otherwise).

1811guy
01-30-2010, 21:11
I use militec 1 grease on my bolts. I only apply very lightly alongthe races of the bolt (the elevated rails
that actually contact the inside of the upper receiver). I have shot thousands of rounds through it with no "peanut butter" accumulating. The nice thing about grease is it stays put. A lithium grease like militec 1 will also stay put even when the gun gets hot.

jobob
01-30-2010, 22:12
I've been using a grease off and on for over 20 years, and I keep going back to it. Rig +P Stainless Steel Lube. Works great, doesn't burn off or evaporate or migrate. Stays where it's put and makes the action nice and smooth. Use it on bolt, carrier and cam pin. I also use CLP and Slip 2000 EWL, and keep going back to the Rig grease. It probably isn't the best for extreme cold, though.

Kentak
01-31-2010, 07:14
Still a large amount of carbon getting in there. Grease plus
carbon equals peanut butter after a buch of shooting.

Yes, but it's a very slippery peanut butter. :supergrin:

Hedo1
01-31-2010, 07:17
Grease is recommended for the M1 and M1a if I recall. I've used Tetra grease on my AR's before with no ill effects. I usually clean them at about 500 rds. and haven't seen any problems so far.

socmguy
01-31-2010, 09:41
Grease is recommended for the M1 and M1a if I recall. I've used Tetra grease on my AR's before with no ill effects. I usually clean them at about 500 rds. and haven't seen any problems so far.

Ummmm, do the M1 series guns operate the same way as the AR platform?

HAIL CAESAR
01-31-2010, 13:31
I use militec 1 grease on my bolts. I only apply very lightly alongthe races of the bolt (the elevated rails
that actually contact the inside of the upper receiver). I have shot thousands of rounds through it with no "peanut butter" accumulating. The nice thing about grease is it stays put. A lithium grease like militec 1 will also stay put even when the gun gets hot.

Same here, except I used TW25b with is a light grease.

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2010, 16:32
Yes, but it's a very slippery peanut butter. :supergrin:

:rofl: May have to look into this. :dunno:

AK_Stick
01-31-2010, 18:18

It works, I've used grease, especially if I'm going to be out during the extreme cold like winter ops in AK.

But I prefer Miltech

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2010, 18:40
It works, I've used grease, especially if I'm going to be out during the extreme cold like winter ops in AK.

But I prefer Miltech

I LOVE Militech! What grease have you tried? TW25B?

Hedo1
01-31-2010, 18:55
Ummmm, do the M1 series guns operate the same way as the AR platform?

No they don't. Completely different. I was responding to Doug's comment about using grease on the M1.

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2010, 19:03
Lubriplate 130-A on the Garand! :supergrin:

smokin762
01-31-2010, 19:13
I'm one of those guys that tries all the newest Uber cool lubricants and cleaners.

In a thread over on arfcom folks discussed using grease on the bolt as a lube. I stopped into a local pep boys and picked up a can of Mobile 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. I pulled my bolts and lubed them using just a tiny amount that was stuck to the top of the can. I cycled the bolts and I can say it is super slick when hand cycling.

I've been using grease on my pistol slides for years with no ill effect so this stuff should work well for that also.

A small can was under $9.00 and will last a lifetime or two or three.

About 4 years ago, I tried wheel-bearing grease on the bolt carrier of my FAL. It was this time of the year too. I only used a thin layer. I could watch the bolt carrier move forward very slow. The bolt had a hard time ripping the cartridge from the mag and chambering it. I think I will stay with Tetra Gun Grease.:dunno:

UTArmadillo
02-03-2010, 14:15
I just bought a tub of Lubriplate SFL-0 grease and will be using it on my FAL, AKs and Sig after reading Grant Cunninghams article. I am going to put it in a syringe for easy application. Will update on after I use it.

TimP
02-03-2010, 17:13
militec is my #1, but my 10.5 LMT did 3500rds in 4 days using wheel bearing grease applied LIBERALLY on day 1 all over the carrier and around the bolt.

but hey, what do I know

Willard
02-03-2010, 20:06
FYI - "wheel bearing grease" has small fibers mixed in with it. Personally, I wouldn't use it on a firearm. Other types of grease, sure (esp synthetic, high-temp stuff), but _not_ wheel bearing grease.

La26
02-05-2010, 21:10
Slip EWL....Mobile1....Militec....?????????

What the hell happened to using Crisco and Pam butter flavor ?? You guys are just too high tech for me :rofl:

Glockster84
02-06-2010, 15:37
i still dont understand why people use motor oil,brake cleaner etc etc. WTF spend the extra 2 bucks you cheap asses and get GUN OIL GUN GREASE GUN CLEANER!!!!!!! if your that cheap just sell ur glocks.xds 1911s and buy hi points

NeverMore1701
02-06-2010, 17:15
i still dont understand why people use motor oil,brake cleaner etc etc. WTF spend the extra 2 bucks you cheap asses and get GUN OIL GUN GREASE GUN CLEANER!!!!!!! if your that cheap just sell ur glocks.xds 1911s and buy hi points

Who the hell cares. If it works, it works.

HAIL CAESAR
02-06-2010, 17:20
Who the hell cares. If it works, it works.

:rofl: Very true! :wavey:

AK_Stick
02-06-2010, 17:52
I LOVE Militech! What grease have you tried? TW25B?

I usually use Lubriplate, because we use it in aviation, so I always have copious ammounts on hand.

faawrenchbndr
02-06-2010, 18:29
I usually use Lubriplate, because we use it in aviation, so I always have copious ammounts on hand.

I soooooo gotta try this. I have some Lubriplate,......:whistling:
I also have enough moly-b to install 50,000 barrels.

UTArmadillo
02-06-2010, 21:56
I got the lubriplate SFL-0 in and works great. If you want a 15cc syringe full look on marketplace for my post.
edit: You can also get it on my webpage www.lubrikit.com if you want to use gunpal.

ArmoryDoc
02-06-2010, 22:24

:tongueout: I use Mobile I and carb cleaner. :tongueout:

wingsprint
02-07-2010, 04:35

The savings is much more than 2 bucks. Most, if not all popular firearms lubricants are off the self bulk lubricants which are re branded and packaged for the gun trade. One of them is selling a 15cc (half an ounce) syringe of grease for $12.95. That works out to over $3300 a gallon!

Think about it- Do you really think "Billy Bob's Super Tactical Lube" has the volume in sales to support the costs associated with operating a refinery and that they engineer, test and produce their own product?