I Need Your Help: Sig Sauer 522, S&W M&P 15-22, or Ruger 10/22? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help: Sig Sauer 522, S&W M&P 15-22, or Ruger 10/22?

Flipz
01-30-2010, 19:36
Hey guys,

Ive been interested in getting a semi-auto .22LR rifle for awhile now and Im trying to decide between these 3 choices:

Sig Sauer 522
S&W M&P 15-22
Ruger 10/22

If you have experience with any of these and have suggestions as to which one to purchase please post. Im looking for all your opinions, good or bad.

Im leaning towards the Sig and I have heard good things about it. But I have not made up my mind yet and am looking for a little help from you guys.

What do you think? Which one should I buy?
Thanks!

FLIPPER 348
01-30-2010, 20:05
I have the S&W and the Ruger. The S&W is cooler and looks/acts just like an AR. The Ruger is a better rifle all around. I like my GSG-5 better than both!

Rooster Rugburn
01-30-2010, 22:31
That's an odd assortment of choices. For the price of either of the first 2, you could get a few of the others.

After I got my Ruger 10/22 working, I swore I would never buy another Ruger: and I won't. BUT, in your situation, for the price of a Sig or SW, you could get a Marlin, a Savage, and a Remington. The Marlin, Savage, and Remington are better than the Ruger.

If you like a QC challenge, the Ruger is for you. If you just want to shoot, go with a Savage or Marlin. But if you want something unique, go with the Sig or SW.

Flipz
01-30-2010, 23:04
Im looking for more of a tactical look. Im also looking at the Kel Tec SU-22. Its gonna be a tough decision. Im still leaning towards the Sig. Whatever I choose is gonna be my first .22lr rifle and its gonna be a range/plinking/fun gun. Just something to change it up a bit at the range while also being much less expensive when it comes to ammo.

Rooster Rugburn
01-30-2010, 23:16
Well, if you are looking for something to compliment your 5.11 pants, Thunderkiller shirt, your Level IV body armor with sewn in rear plate, Delta Force boots, and Blackwater Red Cell Ballistic Shield, and Jeep assault vehicle with a Hemi.....

don't forget the GSG 5.

venenoindy
01-31-2010, 00:19
I have all three, and apples to oranges. the 10/22 IMO while a great rifle is not a true training (plinker) sub for an AR. I do have an AR and the S&W M&P15-22 does a great job as a cheaper alternative and training tool for me to be a lot more familiar with the big brother, the Sig is also a great rifle but also different feel than the AR platform. to me the M&P15-22 is a lot easier to get accesories because of the vast options of the AR platform, the Sig there is not a whole lot out there and if there is, will be more expensive.I like each for different reasons but if I could only have one it would be the M&P15-22.

CMG
01-31-2010, 00:30
Making a fair comparison really depends on which model of 10/22... the new Ruger SR22 compares well to the S&W 15-22 and Sig 522.

I own all three and the SR22 offers an AR feel, and the ability to accept any AR furniture. It generally needs a bit of trigger work, but other than that it offers a very reliable platform with lots of after-market support. There are no iron sights, and the short rail pretty much limits you to an optical sight of some sort. Cost $450

The S&W 15-22 is a great trainer for any center-fire AR as it's controls are identical. It also needs a trigger job IMO, and can accept most AR collapsible stocks and grips. The fore-end is not readily changed out. The rifle comes with a pretty good set of removable A2 style iron sights. Cost $400

The Sig 522 is a great clone of their 556 rifle, with solid construction and identical controls. It doesn't have much after-market support... yet. It does have the best trigger out of the box, and really doesn't need much help. Like the Ruger you are pretty much limited to optical sights as it comes with a short top rail. Cost $420

To me, it's a matter of handling each one and then deciding which one you like the best. They all offer similar accuracy and the fun factor is high with each one.

If I could only have one, I'd likely be just as crotchety as ol' Rooster! :supergrin:

Good luck.

gnepig
01-31-2010, 01:23
That's an odd assortment of choices. For the price of either of the first 2, you could get a few of the others.

After I got my Ruger 10/22 working, I swore I would never buy another Ruger: and I won't. BUT, in your situation, for the price of a Sig or SW, you could get a Marlin, a Savage, and a Remington. The Marlin, Savage, and Remington are better than the Ruger.

If you like a QC challenge, the Ruger is for you. If you just want to shoot, go with a Savage or Marlin. But if you want something unique, go with the Sig or SW.

I agree with Rooster, (unless I get one really really cheap) I will not buy another 10/22.

M2 Carbine
01-31-2010, 08:46
I have all three, and apples to oranges.
That's what I told my friend.

Of the three if I had to make a choice it would be the S&W simply because it feels and operates like a AR. Mine had paid for itself in .223 ammo savings in a couple months.

The SIG is a very good rifle but SIG didn't include iron sights with the gun or even any bolt on rails for the forearm.

The 10/22? Everyone should own a 10/22.

I think you will be satisfied with whichever one you get.

Flipz
01-31-2010, 11:21
I am not looking for an AR trainer. Just a fun gun to shoot at the range while spending less on ammo.

Both the Sig and the S&W have the looks and performance I want so its really between them now.
The Sig having the metal upper makes me lean that way. And you can always order the rails that attach to the front handguards straight from Sig if you want. I don't care that it doesn't come with iron sights as I will be using a red dot most likely. Plus it doesn't use a proprietary mag. Black Dog made the magazines for Sig so any Black Dog mags will work in it.
I think I've just convinced myself that the Sig is the right way to go. Lol!
Now I know a lot of you AR fans would have said to go for the S&W since it looks and operates like the .223 AR. But that doesn't concern me. I just want a .22lr rifle that is fun to shoot and doesn't look half bad either.

I'm still open to suggestions and opinions. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks!

CMG
01-31-2010, 12:31
I am not looking for an AR trainer. Just a fun gun to shoot at the range while spending less on ammo.

Both the Sig and the S&W have the looks and performance I want so its really between them now.
The Sig having the metal upper makes me lean that way. And you can always order the rails that attach to the front handguards straight from Sig if you want. I don't care that it doesn't come with iron sights as I will be using a red dot most likely. Plus it doesn't use a proprietary mag. Black Dog made the magazines for Sig so any Black Dog mags will work in it.
I think I've just convinced myself that the Sig is the right way to go. Lol!
Now I know a lot of you AR fans would have said to go for the S&W since it looks and operates like the .223 AR. But that doesn't concern me. I just want a .22lr rifle that is fun to shoot and doesn't look half bad either.

I'm still open to suggestions and opinions. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks!

Can't argue with any of your reasoning, as I like my 522 quite alot!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/S522sptg.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/S522bdm.jpg

chineseboxer
01-31-2010, 13:07
My S&W has been an absolute blast to shoot. After a couple hundred rounds it is flawless with most bulk ammo, It seems to like Federal the best. I put about 400 rounds thru it last week with one FTF. This was ammo malfunction not gun. Mags are fairly cheap as well.

Darkangel1846
01-31-2010, 14:42
Well I went to three of my gun stors...two have gun smiths. I just asked which rifle have they had to send back the most. It seems that the Colt has a problem although it is the most realistic looking of them all. The rated the Sig and S&W as very good and leaned towards the S&W as the mags were cheaper. So I ordered the S&W and several mags, sure hope the murphy doesn't bite me on the butt.

Faulkner
01-31-2010, 17:31
I have a GSG-5, S&W 15-22, and a Ruger 10-22. No experiance with the Sig. I like all three of mine, but if I could only pick one I'd stick with the S&W 15-22. Mine has been reliable, accurate, simple to field strip and clean, and easy to accessorize.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/2120947/378915062.jpg

dw_player
01-31-2010, 17:39
I own the Smith. I looked at the Colt didn't like it. Everything I've read post purchase said I made the right decision there.
I haven't shot the Sig. The only recommendation I can make is read about cleaning. I'm pretty sure I've read on here (somewhere?) that the Sig is bear to clean? Though I may be confusing it with the Colt.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Definately can't go wrong with the Smith though. Paid $389 for mine at a show.
If price doesn't matter then it's probably a wash. You will definately spend extra cash on the Sig for some type of sights.

CMG
01-31-2010, 19:33
I own the Smith. I looked at the Colt didn't like it. Everything I've read post purchase said I made the right decision there.
I haven't shot the Sig. The only recommendation I can make is read about cleaning. I'm pretty sure I've read on here (somewhere?) that the Sig is bear to clean? Though I may be confusing it with the Colt.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Definately can't go wrong with the Smith though. Paid $389 for mine at a show.
If price doesn't matter then it's probably a wash. You will definately spend extra cash on the Sig for some type of sights.

The Sig 522 is easy to take down for cleaning.. the Colt/Umarex is NOT.

The latest S&W 15-22s come with threaded barrels and A2 flash hiders, making them look even better, IMO.

wingspar
01-31-2010, 23:14
The 10/22 is the cheapest alternative, and a great gun. I like mine. But, itís obvious you want the AR look, so if you are interested in the Sig, Nutnfancy spent a lot of time at the Sig booth during SHOT, and spent some time looking at the Sig 522. Here is his YouTube video. The 522 comes at about the 22 minute 30 second time in the video. Nutnfancy is long winded, but does good reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/u/6/Ow8ySAsrj9M

Flipz
02-01-2010, 00:07
Oh trust me, I watched the video he did at the Sig booth. Im just waiting for him to put up the review he did on the 522 that he talked about in the video. Ive checked his page and its not up yet.
I went to the range today and checked out the Sig. I didnt get to shoot it as they dont have it as a rental, but I got to handle it and check it out. It feels very solid. The bolt operated very smoothly. Fit and finish was great. Just overall looked like a very well put together gun.
I think I may be buying my first Sig.

wingspar
02-01-2010, 01:17
Try the search feature on Nutnfancyís main page. It seems like Iíve seen him do some shooting with the Sig. He probably hasnít done one of his ďTable TopĒ reviews on the gun yet, but I certain Iíve seen him shooting the Sig 522. He has so many videos, but his search feature works.

Flipz
02-01-2010, 18:07
I tried the search feature on his page but couldnt find anything. Wish he would post the table top review already,lol.

M2 Carbine
02-01-2010, 19:58
A couple weeks ago friends ran about a thousand rounds through my Sig 522, mostly rapid fire.

When I cleaned the gun it was DIRTY and totally dry of lube. If that SIG was ever going to jam that was a perfect time.

wingspar
02-02-2010, 14:08
I tried the search feature on his page but couldnt find anything. Wish he would post the table top review already,lol.

I tried the search feature to find it, and couldnít. If I remember, he shot the 522 in a video that wasnít specifically on the 522. Iíve seen the video, but canít find it again. He made reference to that video at the SHOT, but didnít say what the video was about. It was probably on .22's, and he threw the 522 in along with a 10/22, which he has high regards for. Iíve been itching to get mine out, but the rain just wonít stop.

A couple weeks ago friends ran about a thousand rounds through my Sig 522, mostly rapid fire.

When I cleaned the gun it was DIRTY and totally dry of lube. If that SIG was ever going to jam that was a perfect time.

.22 ammo is just dirty ammo. The 522 will probably need more care in the cleaning department than the same gun in .223.

Flipz
02-02-2010, 17:20
Let me ask you guys this. From what I hear CCI Mini Mags run really well in .22lr guns. The problem is all I can find is the Mini Mag Hollow points. This may be a stupid question, but is it ok to use the Mini Mag hollow point rounds as target ammo in the 522? I just cant seem to find the regular round nose ones. Im brand new to .22's and just dont know much about them. Let me know what you think, thanks!

NWoutdoor
02-02-2010, 18:01
Flipz...yes, the MiniMag HP's are fine. The round noses are hard to find in my neck of the woods also. Some guns function better with the RN but, my experience is to find a round that works well for YOUR .22 and use that. Some funciton great on Rem Golden Bullets or Fed bulk...just gotta find out.

BTW - I have the Ruger 10/22 stock with a 4 x 32 fixed bushnell - Fun, fun, fun.
And I have the Ruger SR22 (10/22 with bling). My 13-year-old has taken this one over...still fun ,maybe a bit heavy, but is solid. Put a Primary Arms red dot on top.

They are 10/22's and they do what a .22 is designed to do.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Firearm%20Sports/rugerfam1.jpg

Flipz
02-02-2010, 18:04
Thanks. I know it was a bit of a noob question, but better to ask right? If you dont mind me asking what do you think of the Primary Arms Red Dot? How much do they go for and hows the quality? Is it a red dot you would suggest to other .22 owners?

CMG
02-02-2010, 20:12
For pricing:

www.primaryarms.com

They enjoy a very good reputation among the faithful at www.ar15.com

NWoutdoor
02-03-2010, 10:04
Thanks. I know it was a bit of a noob question, but better to ask right? If you dont mind me asking what do you think of the Primary Arms Red Dot? How much do they go for and hows the quality? Is it a red dot you would suggest to other .22 owners?

Great reviews on the PA M3 clone...they are holding up well to .223/5.56 action. Quality is great. Solid scope, no issues. I would suggest this for a .22. I also looked at the Bushnell red/green but at $140...

I love it, but my son has taken the rifle from me...damn 13-year-olds:shocked:
I paid $69 (+8 shipping). Add $10 if you want a fwd cant mount for co-witness with AR style iron sights).
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=5

Flipz
02-04-2010, 12:09
Well I think Im going to buy the Sig 522 tonight. Thanks for all the help guys!

Flipz
02-04-2010, 22:58
Well, I bought the Sig 522. Now I just have to wait a week to pick her up, Maryland law. Im glad that my local shop/range that I bought it from atleast lets me shoot it at the range there while I wait the week until I can take it home. Gonna pick up some Black Dog mags and some CCI Mini Mags this week. Now I just have to pick a red dot or scope for it.

photoguy
02-05-2010, 21:14
I put an inexpensive Sightmark holo sight (http://www.gunkings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=1021) on mine and so far I'm loving it. I sighted it in a few days ago and put 300+ rounds through it; Mini Mags and Remington bulk pack from WallyWorld. Not a single hiccup.

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac300/mp_photoshooter/long%20guns/sig522_32.jpg

Flipz
02-05-2010, 22:08
I see you have one of the black Black Dog Magazines. I was thinking of getting a couple for my 522. How do you like the black ones compared to the smoked ones? Do they also lock the bolt back after the last round like the smoked ones do?

photoguy
02-06-2010, 07:27
I've read that Black Dog Machine Co actually makes the Sig factory mags. Looking at them side by side I'd have to say this is the case, they are identical including the bolt hold open feature. I prefer the black mags so I bought ten of them a month or two ago when BDM was having a sale. I recently saw on their website that they have Brownell logo AR22 mags for $20 in black, clear and smoke.

Flipz
02-06-2010, 13:49
Yep, from everything I hear, Black Dog makes the mags for Sig.

heliguy
02-08-2010, 13:37
I've had the MP 15-22 for a few weeks and love it. I especially like that it comes with a threaded barrel so I could just drop on my Gemtech OUtback 2 suppressor...And the black Dog 90 round mag doesn't hurt!

Flipz
02-08-2010, 16:18
Well, I have to wait till the 18th to pick up my 522 because the gun shop has been closed because of the huge snow storm we just had and only got the paperwork sent out today. Stupid 10 day waiting period. But that just gives me more time to get some extra mags, ammo, and a red dot.

AND wer're about to get 10-20 more inches of snow tomorrow night to put on top of the 30 inches we just got over the weekend.

LA_357SIG
02-09-2010, 15:24
WOW. No votes for the Marlin 795? I got one for my son when they were $99 @ Dick's. Aside from the crap bluing (I find all bluing crap and elect to parkerize myself) and some FTE's w/ mostly Winchester bulk, I found it more accurate then an out of the box 10/22 (which is not saying much) And I will admit the stock 795 sights suck.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/chrisq_01/100_1517.jpg

CMG
02-09-2010, 22:16
WOW. No votes for the Marlin 795?

I Need Your Help: Sig Sauer 522, S&W M&P 15-22, or Ruger 10/22?

WOW. I wonder why? :whistling:

:rofl:

LA_357SIG
02-09-2010, 22:51
I Need Your Help: Sig Sauer 522, S&W M&P 15-22, or Ruger 10/22?

WOW. I wonder why? :whistling:

:rofl:

It's comparable to the 10/22.

trob
02-10-2010, 22:50

i would agree about the NEW 10/22's, but if you find one from 2007 and earlier, those are the good ones.

CMG
02-10-2010, 23:36
It's comparable to the 10/22.

Really?

Which threaded lightweight .920" barrel do you have on your Marlin... did you go with a replacement hammer/sear to get a good trigger, or did you spring for Jard or Kidd replacement? Are you going to install a Tapco, Archangel, Nordic or RPB Precision stock set?

"comparable"?

Not even close... :supergrin:

LA_357SIG
02-11-2010, 23:00
Really?

Which threaded lightweight .920" barrel do you have on your Marlin... did you go with a replacement hammer/sear to get a good trigger, or did you spring for Jard or Kidd replacement? Are you going to install a Tapco, Archangel, Nordic or RPB Precision stock set?

"comparable"?

Not even close... :supergrin:

Oh, I see. You mean take a $200 10/22 and add a bunch of aftermarket crap costing more than double the rifle's worth to make it shoot better than an out the box Marlin with a scope or better sights. Yeah. You're right. No comparison.

CMG
02-12-2010, 01:37
Oh, I see. You mean take a $200 10/22 and add a bunch of aftermarket crap costing more than double the rifle's worth to make it shoot better than an out the box Marlin with a scope or better sights. Yeah. You're right. No comparison.

Nope... I mean having options... the 10/22 can be transformed into pretty much anything, and be put back again.

Marlins are good rifles, but they are what comes out of the box, pretty much forever.

Simply put, there is no comparison.

Flipz
02-12-2010, 12:39
Lets stay on topic guys

Flipz
02-15-2010, 18:52
Try the search feature on Nutnfancyís main page. It seems like Iíve seen him do some shooting with the Sig. He probably hasnít done one of his ďTable TopĒ reviews on the gun yet, but I certain Iíve seen him shooting the Sig 522. He has so many videos, but his search feature works.

Well, Nutnfancy finally posted his tabletop review of the Sig Sauer 522 on Youtube. If you want to watch it just do a search for "Sig 522" and it will come up. Its a long one too, about 45 minutes, so bring the popcorn.

wingspar
02-15-2010, 20:44
I knew he would get to it. I watched part of it. Iím not really into ARís, so I didnít watch the whole thing, and to be honest, watching Nutnfancy costs me money sometimes. Thanks to his Spyderco booth review, and his tabletop review on the Spyderco Stretch, I just ordered one. There is so much cool stuff out there, and to watch him do reviews is pretty neat.

Be sure to bring this thread back up when you get the 522. Photos are mandatory.

Flipz
02-15-2010, 22:42
I pick it up this Thursday, the 18th. Im still trying to decide which red dot to get for it. Im looking at the Bushnell 1x32 MP Trophy T Dot, Millett SP Series Red Dots, and the ADCO Red Dots. So many choices its hard to decide. If anyone has suggestions Im all ears.
Once Im able to take some pics I'll post them

mag318
02-16-2010, 00:23
You couldn't go wrong with either choice, I like them so much I bought both so I wouldn't have to choose.

Flipz
02-16-2010, 11:44
You couldn't go wrong with either choice, I like them so much I bought both so I wouldn't have to choose.
Are you talking about the rifles or the red dots?

mag318
02-16-2010, 11:56
Flipz, I bought both rifles.

Flipz
02-16-2010, 14:55
Are you running a red dot on them? If so, which one?

mag318
02-16-2010, 20:21
Flipz,
I'm just using the iron sights on my M&P, and put a 4X scope on my Sig. No red dots.

Rooster Rugburn
02-16-2010, 21:44
i would agree about the NEW 10/22's, but if you find one from 2007 and earlier, those are the good ones.

Mine was made in 2002. And it's not even the cheap Wal Mart budget model. I bought it at a real gun store, and pay the non Wal Mart price.

I'll never buy another Ruger.

jarubla
02-17-2010, 11:31

I love my 10/22. A bolt buffer, an Volquartsen exact edge extractor, amd some slip stream lube and it is smooth and quiet.

Lots of fun

-Jay

Flipz
02-18-2010, 11:31
My wait is over. I picked up my Sig 522LR last night. Gonna take it to the range this weekend and see how it performs.

SCOTTtheBADGER
02-18-2010, 18:35
YAY! Have fun. I plan on having one by mid summer.

Flipz
02-22-2010, 18:31
WOW!!! Is all I have to say. The 522 performs perfectly. I fed CCI Mini Mags through it and not a single hicup. Once I sighted in my fakepoint I saw thats its actually pretty accurate. I shot benchrested at 40-50 yards and was getting 2-3 inch groups. After sighting in the fakepoint and doing some accuracy tests I then went to rapid fire tests. During rapid fire it fed flawlessly and still held good groups while in the standing position.

While shooting I developed a little bit of a crowd. Everyone wanted to know what it was. I let some of them shoot it and after the first shot each of them just turned around and had a huge grin on their face. I think I sold a couple extra 522's for Sig just in the couple of hours I was at the range. Everyone loved it and wanted to buy one.

I highly recommend the 522 to anyone looking for a fun gun to shoot.

P.S.
I also brought my Glock 17 to the range. It didnt even come out of the bag, LOL.

Pitt
02-24-2010, 21:03
WOW!!! Is all I have to say. The 522 performs perfectly. I fed CCI Mini Mags through it and not a single hicup. Once I sighted in my fakepoint I saw thats its actually pretty accurate. I shot benchrested at 40-50 yards and was getting 2-3 inch groups. After sighting in the fakepoint and doing some accuracy tests I then went to rapid fire tests. During rapid fire it fed flawlessly and still held good groups while in the standing position.

While shooting I developed a little bit of a crowd. Everyone wanted to know what it was. I let some of them shoot it and after the first shot each of them just turned around and had a huge grin on their face. I think I sold a couple extra 522's for Sig just in the couple of hours I was at the range. Everyone loved it and wanted to buy one.

I highly recommend the 522 to anyone looking for a fun gun to shoot.

P.S.
I also brought my Glock 17 to the range. It didnt even come out of the bag, LOL.

What red dot did you get? Did you go with the Primary Arms unit?

Flipz
02-25-2010, 09:29
Right now Im just using a G&P Aimpoint replica that a friend gave me for free. He had been using it for airsoft before he quit. But it works pretty well, made of metal and has a good mount. I gotta get some pictures up of the Sig for you guys.

Chattanoogaphil
02-28-2010, 09:07
I have the 15-22 and 522 SWAT.

The 15-22 is lighter, less reliable with a variety of ammo, and not as accurate as the 522. The 522 is a bigger more bulky feeling rifle. Both are easy to disassemble for cleaning. The 522 has a metal upper receiver whereas the 15-22 is polymer. The polymer quad rail on the 15-22 is tough and doesn't nick easy like the 522 metal quad rail. The quad rail on the 15-22 is symmetrical, whereas the 522 quad rail is almost an inch taller than wide. The 15-22 mags have thumb assist buttons. 522 mags are made by Black Dog and are widely available. Other than rail attachments, there are few accessories available for the 522. The 15-22 is basically an AR platform so triggers, stocks and grips can be upgraded. The 15-22 has quite a bit of storage in the stock tube (stock tube is part of the lower receiver not like an AR buffer tube/receiver extension). The 522 has a folding stock. There is a small storage tube in the quad rail about the diameter of a CR123 battery.

They are both great rifles.