Colt half-circle bolt carrier question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt half-circle bolt carrier question?

h&kbama
01-30-2010, 21:28
I recently acquired a Colt Sporter HBAR AR15 with 20" barrel, standard A2 configuration. When I brought it home, I broke it down to clean it and noticed that the bolt carrier is what I believe is called the half-circle variety. I have never seen one of these b4. Will a standard closed bottom bolt carrier fit in my Colt? Is there any advantage(s)/disadvantage(s) to the one supplied with my rifle as opposed to the closed bottom bolt carriers that I am used to seeing? Any useful information is appreciated. Thanks.

1811guy
01-30-2010, 22:14
They work fine. Colt did that as yet another measure to ensure you cannot convert it to full auto - blocked lower receiver, high shelf, etc. If it really bothers you, just buy an M16 bolt carrier and install your bolt with new gas rings. Functionally, they are as reliable as any other decent milspec bolt.

h&kbama
01-30-2010, 22:31
Thanks 1811guy2. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I just had never seen one like it b4. Depnds on how much I shoot my new Colt, I may invest in a hard chrome bolt/bolt carrier group later on. Thx again.

1811guy
01-31-2010, 20:46
Thanks 1811guy2. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I just had never seen one like it b4. Depnds on how much I shoot my new Colt, I may invest in a hard chrome bolt/bolt carrier group later on. Thx again.

Your Colt BCG will function perfectly as is. I would save the HC BCG for some other project. You will find your Colt BCG is worth a small fortune and is built as good as they come. Enjoy your Colt, you have one ofthe finest AR15 rifles around, and it needs no upgrades. There will be folks who knock them, but that is only because they do not have one.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 04:13
They work fine. Colt did that as yet another measure to ensure you cannot convert it to full auto - blocked lower receiver, high shelf, etc. If it really bothers you, just buy an M16 bolt carrier and install your bolt with new gas rings. Functionally, they are as reliable as any other decent milspec bolt.

You can't run a M16 carrier in a Colt with a sear block. Ask me how I know? You won't be able to put the gun back together as the sear block pushes up into the bottom of the bolt carrier.
Pat

1811guy
02-01-2010, 10:25
You can't run a M16 carrier in a Colt with a sear block. Ask me how I know? You won't be able to put the gun back together as the sear block pushes up into the bottom of the bolt carrier.
Pat

You are correct, however, I have a 6520 without a sear block. M16 BC works fine in it. Not all Colt lowers have the sear block installed.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2010, 15:48
You are correct, however, I have a 6520 without a sear block. M16 BC works fine in it. Not all Colt lowers have the sear block installed.

You're correct but most of the Colt Sporters do as is the case with the OP.
Pat

1811guy
02-02-2010, 21:53
You're correct but most of the Colt Sporters do as is the case with the OP.
Pat

Ahso. Fortunately, his Colt BCG is good to go. That thing costs around $400 to replace! I swear, if their rifles weren't so damned good, I would be convinced it was a racket.