Thinking about purchasing a Apex Edgepro... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about purchasing a Apex Edgepro...

mesteve2
01-30-2010, 21:48
Need advice please.

Need to sharpen kitchen knives.

If I can do that. Then I will start using my EDC knives.

I need a system because I am not good free hand.

thanks
steve

Legion Etrangere
01-30-2010, 22:20
Need advice please.

Need to sharpen kitchen knives.

If I can do that. Then I will start using my EDC knives.

I need a system because I am not good free hand.

thanks
steve

This was discussed in another post. As I recall the Spyderco system was a favorite for others. Do a search,hope you find the thread.

mitchshrader
01-30-2010, 23:28
You are not good freehand because you've not been shown how, and walked through the process until you can see what is happening. I taught my daughter the basics on two pocketknives, in a few hours. It's not that it's hard, it's that you don't know what changes with each stroke you make on the stone.

Once you do know what changes, and can see the results on the edge, it's simple. A week of practice and you're competent enough to do ordinary kitchen knives, and a year you can do fancy japanese ones that are too expensive.

One good (enough) stone, a 1000/4000 combination Norton waterstone, and you're set for 2 or 3 years. Might run 70$? maybe less.

If you can butter a piece of toast, you can sharpen a knife.

Dennis in MA
01-31-2010, 12:56
It's awful handy at reprofiling a bad edge. The coarse grits are awesome. I've yet to get past about 1000 or so on it. Haven't needed it. I find once I get it in that range with a great V-grind all the knife needs for a while is just a steeling.

Oh, and I scored an old 16" smooth steel for $10 at the gun show yesterday. :)

I'll agree with Mitch that you really don't need it if you know what you are doing. You could spend $50 on some cheesy knives, dull them up, and then practice. He's a master at sharpening, but I would think a novice might want something more than a 1000/4000 grit stone. Because odds are the blades you now want sharpened are not ready to take a 1000 grit to start. Esp. if you, or someone else, tried to "sharpen them" in the past.

But for $200 or so, the Edge Pro allows you to not worry about it. . . or to understand and learn edge geometry and consistency. Later on, you could always resell it for $150.

mesteve2
02-01-2010, 12:05
Thanks to all for the help.
Sorry I miss posted the first time on knives for sale.
With help I made it to the correct sight.
I ordered the Pro unit Priced at $229.95. They gave me a deal at $218.45. So, some friends will get to sharpend their knives for free. Some may even buy their own unit.
Looking foward to fixing up the kitchen knives.
So my daughters and son will get a good deal having me sharpens their kitchen knives.
Thanks again.
steve

w4004p
02-07-2010, 05:39
Mesteve2 -

after you've used it, for awhile, please post up your opinion of it and any observations or concerns, if you don't mind. it would be helpful to those of us who are still on the fence.

thanx

TheLastDaze
02-08-2010, 00:27
This was discussed in another post. As I recall the Spyderco system was a favorite for others. Do a search,hope you find the thread.

yeah that's bull, I've never seen a "sharpener" actually sharpened a knife the right way, they may keep their factory edge by taking off the rolls but after a while of use you're gonna have to take them to the stone, no other way around it, just a gimmick..

TheLastDaze
02-08-2010, 00:37
Thanks to all for the help.
Sorry I miss posted the first time on knives for sale.
With help I made it to the correct sight.
I ordered the Pro unit Priced at $229.95. They gave me a deal at $218.45. So, some friends will get to sharpend their knives for free. Some may even buy their own unit.
Looking foward to fixing up the kitchen knives.
So my daughters and son will get a good deal having me sharpens their kitchen knives.
Thanks again.
steve

Yes please let us know how it works out for you.. I've been told its not the stone but the method.. Carver shows how he can sharpen a dull knife on a cinder block and strop in on newspaper to make it utility sharp...