Got a Colt XSE on the way and have questions! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a Colt XSE on the way and have questions!

tedg-23
01-31-2010, 10:19
I've done a search on it but was wondering if someone could give simple pros and cons, or if there is any things I really need to look for! This is the 1911 that I've wanted since I was a little kid. I've had a SA GI and a Taurus 1911, but they weren't Colts. Not that there aren't good 1911's out there that aren't Colt's, but Colt means 1911 to me! The one on the way is a used stainless XSE with the rosewood grips and looks to be in like new condition. I have several mags, (shooting stars, wilson, trip), all 8 rounders and even a couple 10 rounders. I would appreciate any and all info or comments.
THANKS!

02-02-2010, 07:01
I like mine -- I have a LWT Commander. It has always worked well. The only thing that I have done to mine is put a Wilson Drop in Beaver Tail on it and ERGO Grips. The part that I got looks much better than most drop in units. I think Wilson makes them to fit closely on the Colt.

CMG
02-02-2010, 10:18
My XSE is the new Combat Elite, but it is an excellent rendition of the series 80 variant.

I think you'll be pleased!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/CCombatElite.jpg

Makoman
02-02-2010, 19:23
I love mine too. I own quite a few pistols and have sold and traded quite a few more, but my two 1911's, a series 80 enhanced and an XSE always remain! The XSE is my favorite. The only mod i made wasn't really a mod. I don't care for guide rods on 1911's so I took it out and installed a spare recoil spring plunger that I had lyining around. Sorry the pics aren't so great. Do notice the custom front strap stipling though!

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
02-02-2010, 19:36
My XSE is the new Combat Elite, but it is an excellent rendition of the series 80 variant.

I think you'll be pleased!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/CCombatElite.jpg

I just looked at the same gun on Sunday at a local shop. I really fell in love with it too. I am so stuck on what to get. That Colt, a Kimber SIS or Custom II or keep saving for a Les Baer... choices are hard. :supergrin:

tedg-23
02-02-2010, 22:52
Beautiful guns!, guys. Thanks! I can't wait till mine gets here.

silversport
02-03-2010, 05:29
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143871&highlight=Colt+XSE
Bill

hdbob
02-03-2010, 09:07
Sure they werent colts....dont mean they dont compare.... Dont get so caught up in the name..... I was going to get one of the XSE's but ended up with a 1950 commander that has been a GREAT shooter..... my friend got a used XSE that needed a bunch of tweeking... finally got it right... Maybe the previous owner was hard on it.....But there are many guns that are better than colt and many worse... I HATE to hear "if its not a colt its a copy" or "colt is the original"
I have and had kimbers, S/A colts, now a New Dan Wesson, and I like all my 1911's, I have known many people with colts that have always wanted a higher end gun as well.....

I would throat and polish the gun....enjoy and have fun!!

I've done a search on it but was wondering if someone could give simple pros and cons, or if there is any things I really need to look for! This is the 1911 that I've wanted since I was a little kid. I've had a SA GI and a Taurus 1911, but they weren't Colts. Not that there aren't good 1911's out there that aren't Colt's, but Colt means 1911 to me! The one on the way is a used stainless XSE with the rosewood grips and looks to be in like new condition. I have several mags, (shooting stars, wilson, trip), all 8 rounders and even a couple 10 rounders. I would appreciate any and all info or comments.
THANKS!

02-03-2010, 16:00
Ooops-- I had mine throated and polished as well -- I forgot about that untill HBOB reminded me. Mine wouldn't run on lead reloads until throated.

tedg-23
02-04-2010, 08:24
Sure they werent colts....dont mean they dont compare.... Dont get so caught up in the name..... I was going to get one of the XSE's but ended up with a 1950 commander that has been a GREAT shooter..... my friend got a used XSE that needed a bunch of tweeking... finally got it right... Maybe the previous owner was hard on it.....But there are many guns that are better than colt and many worse... I HATE to hear "if its not a colt its a copy" or "colt is the original"
I have and had kimbers, S/A colts, now a New Dan Wesson, and I like all my 1911's, I have known many people with colts that have always wanted a higher end gun as well.....

I would throat and polish the gun....enjoy and have fun!!

I know! The whole COLT thing is a personal thing for me. I've just always wanted one from a vary early age. I'll do whatever it take to make it run right, IF it needs it. I'm sure that this is not going to be my last 1911, but it's one more check mark on the LIST!

Sig Fever
02-05-2010, 17:11
I too have the Combat Elite and have been more than impressed with the fit and function of the pistol.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8219/img1494large.jpg

hdbob
02-06-2010, 11:29
I have read on various forums about the rear sight coming loose....... WEll yesterday, sure as ****, my friends rear sight almost fell off.......

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
02-06-2010, 11:52
I have read on various forums about the rear sight coming loose....... WEll yesterday, sure as ****, my friends rear sight almost fell off.......

The is odd on a $1000 gun. Loctite perhaps?

hdbob
02-06-2010, 19:07
You would think.....he put loctite on today, see what happens..

quote=RedsoxFan4Lyfe;14698025]The is odd on a $1000 gun. Loctite perhaps?[/quote]

Lloyd-Xmas
02-08-2010, 16:25

I've heard about this on a few boards. That sucks.
Oh well, it didn't stop me from BUYING ONE 2 HOURS AGO, BABY!!! :rock:
Sorry, had to tell some one, wife and friends don't care. Guess I'll be breaking out the loctite before its 1st time out though.

Glolt20-91
02-08-2010, 17:00

The set screw backed out (lost) on my XSE, loctited the sight in place, no big deal. I've also sheared off the rear sight on a G17 doing a boot/slide drill.

The XSE gets a lot of CCW time when in town.

Bob :cowboy:

ParaBear
02-08-2010, 18:44
I have a Colt LWC XSE with 1000 rounds through it as a 'round the farm/walk in the woods pistol. It has a few wear spots and dings but that dosen't stop it from leaving a ragged hole in center mass. Reminds me why I own several Colts.:wavey:

tedg-23
02-21-2010, 20:54
Took it to the range today and shot about 100rds, through 5 different mags. and 2 different kinds of ammo, the gun was flawless. The accuracy was spot on and it felt good in rapid fire and targeting. I really like this gun!! I'll work on some pix but I'm not much of a computer guy.