Benelli M1 v M2 v M4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 v M2 v M4

c5367
01-31-2010, 15:51
Can someone school me on the differences between these?

lawndart98
01-31-2010, 16:43
The M4 is a combat shotgun. It was built from the ground up to perform that task. The M2 is a hunting shotgun that can be configured into a tactical shotgun. The M4 has an ARGO piston system and is built like a tank. The M2 is lighter and handles light loads better. (I don't have any experience with an M1)

mixflip
02-01-2010, 12:31
Whats the deal with the fake mag extension on the M4's? Dont they normally hold 5 shots only yet the model I saw had what looked like a mag extension but it wasnt. It was just a useless tube??? I have seen the actual M4 mag extensions but why make a fake one?

lawndart98
02-01-2010, 14:52
Whats the deal with the fake mag extension on the M4's? Dont they normally hold 5 shots only yet the model I saw had what looked like a mag extension but it wasnt. It was just a useless tube??? I have seen the actual M4 mag extensions but why make a fake one?

The M4 is imported with a reduced capacity magazine so that it will comply with federal law (922r). If you put a full length tube on the gun without replacing a certain number of foreign parts with US made parts, the gun won't comply with 922r. **that's the abridged version**

amblackm
02-02-2010, 13:55
The M1 and the M2 shotguns are near identical. The difference is the addition of the ComforTech stock on some models. Both use the Inertia system to cycle the action (no gas, just recoil). The M4 is a different beast altogether. It has a gas operated action with two pistons that make contact with the bolt to cycle the action.

There are a lot of questions about 922(r) and Benelli shotguns. Since there aren't very many, if any, domestic parts for them available, it is very difficult to legally install a magazine extension on a Benelli shotgun with a pistol grip. If you replace the pistol grip stock with a standard stock it isn't an issue. Most people are either ignorant of the obscure federal law or don't care.

Andrew

noway
02-03-2010, 15:09
amblackm ist correct in the comparison.

the M1 & 2 are near cousin. I surprise we left out the M3 which is ultimate imo due to the fallback pump-operation.

c5367
02-04-2010, 11:34
Good stuff, thanks y'all! :thumbsup:

I knew about the M3, and knew a little about the gas operating system on the M4, but didn't know what if anything else was different.

I'm coming into possession of an M1 18.5" barrel pretty soon. I was wondering about it as compared to the others to determine whether I should keep it or sell it.

noway
02-04-2010, 22:03
Good stuff, thanks y'all! :thumbsup:

I knew about the M3, and knew a little about the gas operating system on the M4, but didn't know what if anything else was different.

I'm coming into possession of an M1 18.5" barrel pretty soon. I was wondering about it as compared to the others to determine whether I should keep it or sell it.

I have A M1S90 with that bbl and ported now for over 10years. Great combo, really good and lite and been 100% reliable with anything I 've put thru it. I would grab it quick.

c5367
02-05-2010, 09:03
I have A M1S90 with that bbl and ported now for over 10years. Great combo, really good and lite and been 100% reliable with anything I 've put thru it. I would grab it quick.

Are you using a mag extension on it? The one I've got on the way has a +1 extension. I want to get a +3 or +4, but I'm not sure if the +4 will extend past the barrel.

noway
02-05-2010, 17:00
Are you using a mag extension on it? The one I've got on the way has a +1 extension. I want to get a +3 or +4, but I'm not sure if the +4 will extend past the barrel.

I have the rare earlier model, just one magazine tube. Very hard to find. It's also low serial #.