Colt HBAR question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt HBAR question?

h&kbama
01-31-2010, 20:19
I recently acquired a used Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" AR15, A2 configuration rifle. The cop I got it from treated it more like a tool than a fine firearm. Cosmetically it is a tad rough, but functionally it rocks! The portion of the barrel that extends past the front sight post, the front sight post, and bolt all have spot rust on them. None of it appears to be deep, and after close inspection I have not noticed any pitting (thank the Lord). Other than a nylon brush and solvent, does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to eliminate all of the surface rust without marring-up the finish? As always, any useful information is appreciated. Thanks. Yall stay safe.

JWP
02-01-2010, 17:58
turpentine/0000 steel wool - rub lightly with saturated wool and the rust goes away while not harming the phosphate

i'd blue any shiny spots [not as good as park, but you gotta clean off all the old park to repark barrel which isn't cheap

h&kbama
02-02-2010, 08:06
Thx for the info JWP. Where can I get 0000 steel wool? I once had some extremely fine steel wool (unknown degree), but I used all of it on other projects. I do have a friend who does an outstanding job on Duracoat. If in getting the rust off some finish comes with it, I'll just get my buddy to Duracoat the front sight post and barrel. It won't be original then, but it won't continue to rust either. Thx again yall.

Nutt51
02-02-2010, 09:04
You should be able to get 0000 wool from any building supply
place or hardware store, perhaps even some auto supply stores.
When you get the rust spots cleaned just keep a light coat
of oil on them and even over the entire rifle from time to time
until you decide to get the rifle refinished. The HBAR Colt is a
fine weapon and should serve you well if taken care of. Enjoy.

h&kbama
02-02-2010, 09:39
Thx Nutt51. I am gonna try the least brutal approach 1st (week long soak in break-free, followed by a good nylon brush). After several treatments if I still can't get it all off, I'll have a go at it with the 0000 steel wool and turpentine, prior to having the Duracoat applied. Be safe.