Double Tap using montana gold jhp in place of XTP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Double Tap using montana gold jhp in place of XTP?

bdcremer
01-31-2010, 22:47
Just got a box of 180 gr. Double Tap controlled expansion for my G29. I thought they used the XTP bullet but instead I got the Montana Gold JHP. Anyone else noticed this change? I would prefer the XTP because of the good reputation XTP has.

Kinda of disconcerting for a box of ammo at $40 a pop.

Tmygun
01-31-2010, 23:03
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174877

Please see this thread about Double Tap.

Tmygun:wavey:

cowboywannabe
02-01-2010, 10:29
whats going on with them lately?

if i order Win STHPs i expect Win STHP.

if i order 165gr. Got Dots i dont want 180gr. Golden Sabers....et cetera....

i guess its best to buy locally so you can inspect the ammo. im not too far from the Georgia Arms company but ive ordered from DT twice because of all the prior good press from folks on here like G33 or was it G29?

anyway all ive read latey is bad press about them and its got me wondering if i should just pony up more dough and go with Cor-Bon, theyve always been consistant with me and ive always got exactly what i ordered when i bought from them on line directly.

gatorboy
02-01-2010, 10:50
www.reedsammo.com
www.buffalobore.com

I just got a shipment from Reeds last week. He is an honest man who responds to e-mail in a professional, timely manner. I waited two months for 400 rds. but my CC was'nt charged until the day my ammo shipped. Ammo was reaonably priced and looks excellent, will find out in about an hour or so.

bdcremer
02-02-2010, 12:54
I received an email back from Double Tap in one day. They replied that they had an issue with getting the proper supply of XTP bullets and so they went to Montana Gold. Double Tap said they sent them their specs for 180 & 200 grain controlled expansion JHP and will perform the same as XTP but with slightly more accuracy.

I would prefer they put that on their website before you drop $40 for a box of ammo.

PATRICE
02-02-2010, 23:08

Tmygun
02-03-2010, 14:33
Yes, I was the one who called them out for using MG 180gr. JHP bullets in place of the advertised 200gr. JHP controlled expansion bullets. MG does not make a 200gr. JHP. I still haven't heard a thing from Double Tap about this. Like I said, they won't be getting anymore of my business.

Tmygun

bdcremer
02-03-2010, 18:31
I think Double Tap might be a victim of their own success. If they start going down this less than honest route then they will have no business. Lets hope they get things squared away because I like the full load 10mm, not the lite loaded other stuff.

Rob Oertel
02-03-2010, 18:41
Ok, I just went to the mg web site. I went to their price chart. The only 10mm/40 cal bullet that I see listed there in 200grs is cmj, complete metal jacket. To late for me to phone them but a call might be warranted just to make sure their web site is up to date. Simply in the interest of having complete information.

Tmygun
02-03-2010, 20:06
My box of DT ammo says 200gr. JHP controlled expansion. I pulled two of the bullets and weighed them. They are 180grs. After I weighed them and found them to be 180grs., I checked the MG bullet site and noticed that they don't make a 200gr. JHP, only a 200gr FMJ. I contacted DT about this three times and heard nothing.

Tmygun:dunno:

cowboywannabe
02-03-2010, 20:26
My box of DT ammo says 200gr. JHP controlled expansion. I pulled two of the bullets and weighed them. They are 180grs. After I weighed them and found them to be 180grs., I checked the MG bullet site and noticed that they don't make a 200gr. JHP, only a 200gr FMJ. I contacted DT about this three times and heard nothing.

and me thinks you never will....:dunno:

this is sad that no explaination is given by them......i guess its back to Win STHP for me because BB is just too expensive and CB doesnt load a 180 grain and the 165's are not much faster than their .40s&w loads....

Tmygun
02-03-2010, 20:41
Hey cowboywannabe, why don't you start handloading your own ammo? I've reloaded for quite a few years now and enjoy it almost as much as shooting. You'd save yourself money and could make loads equal to DT.

Tmygun:cool:

seed
02-03-2010, 22:03
www.reedsammo.com
www.buffalobore.com

I just got a shipment from Reeds last week. He is an honest man who responds to e-mail in a professional, timely manner. I waited two months for 400 rds. but my CC was'nt charged until the day my ammo shipped. Ammo was reaonably priced and looks excellent, will find out in about an hour or so.

+1. I've had the same experience with Reed's. They are very up-front, honest, quick to respond and stand up...and reasonably priced compared to competitors. However, I also have yet to shoot the ammo, so stay tuned.

Don't be put off by their web-site. They will be the first to tell you that it isn't the best looking web-site. But they are very professional in my experience.

Taterhead
02-03-2010, 22:06
+1 for handloading. I love handloading/reloading. My practice reloads only cost me about 18 cents per round and my brass lasts a long time.

Full power loads with premium projectiles and new brass are still only about 45 cents per round. That is about half price or less compared to our favorite factory stuff.

RyeDaddy
02-04-2010, 10:44
+2 for handloading. I also enjoy it as much as shooting, and I can make ANY load I desire. Was absolutely worth the investment.

10mm29
02-08-2010, 15:36

I have found the same thing. I just recieved an order on 2/5/10 I ordered the variety pack and out of 4 boxes only 2 are what I ordered. The 200 grn controlled exp went over the chrono @ 1200 fps from my stock glock 29 which equaled the two 180 grain loadings they sent me. I don't think I need to weigh them to figure that one out. I also ordered a 165 grain but they must have been out because I got 180's

First, last and only time I do business with double tap.

Tmygun
02-08-2010, 22:42
This just shows they don't care about the customer. I'm sure they've gotten plenty of complaints by now, yet they still send out the wrong stuff:dunno:.

Tmygun

hypnagogue
02-12-2010, 00:22
This just shows they don't care about the customer. I'm sure they've gotten plenty of complaints by now, yet they still send out the wrong stuff:dunno:.
Tmygun

I hate to disappoint you, but I have once again received 200 rounds of exactly what I ordered from Doubletap. Never had an incorrect order, never had a single bad round (five orders in four calibers, so far: 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 Colt, 454 Casull). Shipping, as always, was cheap and quick. I even gave them a recommendation at the gunstore today as I picked up my 20sf (finally!).

Today's delivery: 165gr GS, 135gr Nosler, 200gr WFNGC. All exactly right.

the iceman
02-12-2010, 09:18
I hate to disappoint you, but I have once again received 200 rounds of exactly what I ordered from Doubletap. Never had an incorrect order, never had a single bad round (five orders in four calibers, so far: 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 Colt, 454 Casull). Shipping, as always, was cheap and quick. I even gave them a recommendation at the gunstore today as I picked up my 20sf (finally!).

No reason to be sorry. I am glad to hear they are at least treating some cuustomers right.

Taterhead
02-12-2010, 18:19

I echo this statement. I ordered several different shipments in 2009 and I received precisely what I purchased and with speedy delivery. My brother has had the exact same results. I also sent no less than four different e-mail questions about products. I received replies on each within 24 hours - all from Mike McNett personally.

Tmygun
02-12-2010, 21:13
All I can say is email Mike McNett and ask him why he sustituted the 200 gr. Hornady XTPs with the cheaper priced Montana Gold 180gr. JHPs bullets. Tell him you ordered a box of 200gr. JHP controlled expansion ammo and received a box that said 200gr., but were really loaded with 180gr. JHP bullets.
Let's see if you get an email back then:whistling:

Tmygun

R0CKETMAN
02-13-2010, 08:29

I echo this statement. I ordered several different shipments in 2009 and I received precisely what I purchased and with speedy delivery. My brother has had the exact same results. I also sent no less than four different e-mail questions about products. I received replies on each within 24 hours - all from Mike McNett personally.

Another 100% :perfect10:satisfied customer here. I've ordered more DT than most with Zero issues. Thanks Mike for all you've done for the 10mm.:dancing:

jesse_james
02-13-2010, 08:55
all my double tap orders are exactly what I order... For us 10mm shooters good ammo is hard to come by and I greatly appreciate Mike and his vision of an ammunition company. It has made REAL 10mm ammo accessable to EVERYONE!!!!

why
02-13-2010, 08:58
All I can say is email Mike McNett and ask him why he sustituted the 200 gr. Hornady XTPs with the cheaper priced Montana Gold 180gr. JHPs bullets. Tell him you ordered a box of 200gr. JHP controlled expansion ammo and received a box that said 200gr., but were really loaded with 180gr. JHP bullets.

Tmygun

IME, Mike has quit responding to emails a couple of years ago. I tried to get some clarification on a $1k+ order a while back (as did my dealer) and we could not get a response to email or phone messges. Before that, you couldnt ask for better service.
But switching out bullets and selling them as something else has crossed the line. Thats Fraud.

MSgt Dotson
02-13-2010, 09:08
I Double Tap said they sent them their specs for 180 & 200 grain controlled expansion JHP and will perform the same as XTP but with slightly more accuracy.

I would prefer they put that on their website before you drop $40 for a box of ammo.

Xtps aren't known for shedding their jackets and coming apart... :)

DT could at least simply suspend sales of the 200 gr "controlled expansion" load, or, rename it 180 gr TJF (Total Jacket Failure)....

s0nspark
02-13-2010, 09:25
Another 100% :perfect10:satisfied customer here. I've ordered more DT than most with Zero issues. Thanks Mike for all you've done for the 10mm.:dancing:

LOL on the avatar ...

I must say I am sad to see some be treated in a questionable manner by DT - I have held the company in high regard and have forwarded much business to them... Glad that SOME are being treated right (as I have been), in any case, but still VERY disturbing that ALL (apparently) are not!! :-(

If you want something done right - do it yourself ... one more argument for handloading!! ;-p

AJE
02-13-2010, 14:02
I bought some of DT's controlled expansion 180gr... they are the "golden colored" hollowpoints that I assume are Montana Gold. Were they ever supposed to be XTP's?

I never knew what kind of bullets they were supposed to be other than what I've read on here. The picture on the website never looked the same as what I got but it worked great on the deer that I shot with it this year.

I haven't ran them over my chrono yet, though.

Taterhead
02-13-2010, 15:34
The photos on the DT site show XTPs and not Montana Gold HPs for the "controlled expansion" loads in 180 and 200 grain loads. If ordering, I would expect to get XTPs and would not settle for something different than that shown in the photo. The Montana Gold may very well be a fine projectile, but I have little experience with it.

Taterhead
02-13-2010, 15:40

Tmygun

Not defending Double Tap. Just sharing my experiences as others have shared theirs. I too would, indeed, would have an issue if I ordered a product that said 200 gr and showed a picture of an XTP. They'd better clean that up.

cowboywannabe
02-14-2010, 19:28
i just got a response back from www.reedsammo.com and they dont have any more 10mm STHPs. they didnt know when the next shipment of the bullet would be there for them to load. (they load the 175gr. STHP 10mm as a real 10mm loading).

i really like the DT ammo ive gotten in the past, it was what i ordered and appears to be all that and a bag of chips, but im hesitant to order any more from them not knowing that i will get what i ordered....

and not saying Reeds ammo would do this but i would like to believe that they wouldnt use the .40 cal 155gr. STHP as a substitute for the 175gr. 10mm STHP.....

i dont mind waiting for something to be in stock BEFORE i order it if im assured i will get exactly what i ordered.

seed
02-14-2010, 21:58
I ordered a bunch of Reed's and received my order some time ago. Unfortunately, I am a busy person and have yet had a chance to shoot any of it. However, I can comment on their service which is outstanding...Quick responses, updates about their stock, and quick delivery when the ammo becomes available due to components availability. They are up-front, open, honest and easy to access. Once I try out the ammo and decide that I like it (I'm sure I will upon reading other reviews about their product), then they will be receiving more of my business.

the iceman
02-14-2010, 22:18
i just got a response back from www.reedsammo.com and they dont have any more 10mm STHPs. they didnt know when the next shipment of the bullet would be there for them to load. (they load the 175gr. STHP 10mm as a real 10mm loading).

i really like the DT ammo ive gotten in the past, it was what i ordered and appears to be all that and a bag of chips, but im hesitant to order any more from them not knowing that i will get what i ordered....

and not saying Reeds ammo would do this but i would like to believe that they wouldnt use the .40 cal 155gr. STHP as a substitute for the 175gr. 10mm STHP.....

i dont mind waiting for something to be in stock BEFORE i order it if im assured i will get exactly what i ordered.

Shoot! I was just going to order some 10mm STHP's from Reeds tonight. Damn!

I wouldn't mind getting 10mm 155gr STHP's if they were labeled as such. I have considered writing to ask if this can be made as I would like to try them out.

Either way, Reeds got my business now. I'm done with DT.

cowboywannabe
02-15-2010, 08:24
ice,

i thought about that also, both STHP being made the same et cetera except one is 20grains heavier.....but i prefer the mid weights in a high velocity caliber.

if reed's notifies me about when the 10mm STHP are in i will order 100 or so rounds and try them out.

the Win version ive fired 60 rounds of and i liked them but found on one outing they only got a little over 1200 fps from my stock G20. thats quite a bit slower than their claim on the box (that i found used 5.5" bbl)

527varmint
02-16-2010, 17:42
Reloading is the only way to go. If you wanna play with the 10mm you just gotta accept that. Or you gotta be filthy rich.

cowboywannabe
02-16-2010, 17:51
527, im concerned with using home rolled stuff in a self defense shooting.....slim chance that it would come in to question in my area, but i prefer to have a muti-million dollar ammo company have its lawyer explain its ammo performance instead of mine trying to explain my home rolled stuff...

i have locally available low power and mid power commercial ammo, its the true 10mm power that i want on a regular basis.

527varmint
02-17-2010, 13:52
527, im concerned with using home rolled stuff in a self defense shooting.....slim chance that it would come in to question in my area, but i prefer to have a muti-million dollar ammo company have its lawyer explain its ammo performance instead of mine trying to explain my home rolled stuff...

i have locally available low power and mid power commercial ammo, its the true 10mm power that i want on a regular basis.

OH yeah I have heard about that kind of stuff. The only thing I'm likely to point my 10mm at is bear, mtn lion, coyote, or maybe an angry hog. I don't go in for any tactical type stuff. I would probably just load up some factory stuff with 40sw ballistics for HD. Its not even worth the time rolling my own for that.