Horizontal knife carry. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal knife carry.

TheHighwayman
02-01-2010, 09:46
Hey, I was looking for sheath ideas for a couple of Moras I made a while back and I saw some people have made horizontal sheaths. I've also read that Bear Grylls' carries his overpriced showpiece this way. Is there a benefit to carrying this way? I'd never seen or heard of that until the last few days.
Thanks.

Legion Etrangere
02-01-2010, 10:55
I have found that the Blackie Collins nylon sheath is a great way to carry a folder. The sheath comes in large and small sizes and can be carried in the horizontal or vertical positions.
Able to carry my larger folders (cold steel voyager) out of the way yet able to execute a fast withdraw.
They also double as a single mag pouch for my G30(large sheath) and my G26 (small pouch) in a compact fashion. Bought several of both sizes a while back on e-bay. Hope this helps.

w4004p
02-03-2010, 07:25
i've made horizontal sheaths, before. you can see a picture of one on my site www.2munkeez.com

a couple of things i've noticed: (1) when turned horizontally, a knife obviously becomes as wide as it used to be long. this can be a problem, depending on how wide the wearer is or isn't. it does not take very much of a wing to stick out and become obvious. this is because the body is curved and the knife is straight. i know this sounds stupidly obvious, but it plays a bigger part than alot of folks would guess. (2) if you are using a friction fit sheath, like kydex, the loop has to be tight enough on the belt to prevent it from sliding when you try to draw it. with vertical carry this isn't an issue. now, you can just wear the sheath in a position where one of you belt loops is stopping it from sliding as you pull out the knife, but now your draw is totally dependent on the belt loop of your jeans holding up.

if you can get passed these two small issues, horizontal carry is convenient because your belt line doesn't change when you go from sitting to standing. whearas, with vertical carry, you have a portion of the knife below the belt line and a portion above it. your torso and leg are in line, while standing, but when you sit, the knife (having no hip) stays straight.