Question regarding balisongs... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding balisongs...

golls17
02-01-2010, 13:16
I'm just wondering how one would deploy a balisong? I'm 99.9% sure they're illegal here in WI based on:
941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.
941.24(1) http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll/Statutes%20Related/Wisconsin%20Statutes/img/pdf%20icon (http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0941.pdf)
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.Based on videos I've seen on how to use them, am I correct in saying they are deployed by gravity or by a thrust or movement?

I want to be sure before I go out and buy one and learn how to use and carry it.

I assume it would be okay to simply own one as long as I keep it at home? Is anybody here proficient enough that they carry with one? Or at least around the house, is it worth learning if I can't carry it?

ETA: Thinking of getting a trainer instead until I either move to a state where it's legal or am somehow legally allowed to carry here.

w4004p
02-07-2010, 05:32
wow, guess there's not alot of bali enthusiasts, on here. see if i can help ya out a little.

first - the blade of balisong is fully encases by two free swinging (once unlatched) handles. if you moved the 2 handles away from each other, until they were reunited 180* later, the blade would be exposed. however, when first learning and using one hand to open, it's difficult to get your hand out of the way of the swinging handle. this is why you normally see people and a second "flip" in to the opening. i know this sounds confusing, but you'll understand once you have one.

i would not recommend a grown up waste their money with a "trainer", simply run piece of tape down the edge of the blade while learning.

they can be opened just as fast as a tactical one handed clip style folder, but it takes practice. a tactical folder will be easier to become fast with.

i carry one, as a secondary knife, regularly.

YES, even if you do not carry it, it is worth having. it's fun to learn new tricks and it's just relaxing to flip one while sitting around.

you get what you pay for, don't try to go too cheap or you really won't know what it's like to flip a nice bali. the BM 42 is sweet, but not necessary, the best bang for the buck is a Bradley Kimura which are actually made by Kershaw.

getting cut is part of it. you will get cut, if you play with a bali for long. if this bothers you, don't even start down this road because the cuts (or "blade kisses" as i call them) are inevitable.