Article on the new Mossberg 930 SPX tactical shotgun... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Article on the new Mossberg 930 SPX tactical shotgun...

mixflip
02-01-2010, 20:50
I bought a 930SPX so of course I have been reading about it as much as possible. I already read "weapon evolution's" review but I found this article today in a shotgun magazine and thought it would be helpful to anybody wanting to know a little bit more about this new tactical semiauto shotgun. I condensed it to just a few paragraphs so its more to the point.

By shooting journalist Greg Rodriguez,
<o:p></o:p>
The Defensive Semiauto
I got to test the first of mossbergs Model 930 three inch chambered semiauto gas gun in Argentina two years ago…(known for incredible swarms of South American doves)
My hunting partner and I ran 3,875 rounds through a pair of 930 semi’s over the course of that hunt. We cleaned and lubricated them each night, but we didn’t baby them.
Nevertheless, the 930 ran perfectly, without a single failure to feed, fire or extract between them. I was sold on the rugged, reliable new Mossberg. So when I was invited to participate in the unveiling of a new tactical version of the 930 – the 930 SPX – at Blackwater, I leapt at the chance.

(he talks alot about the Blackwater courses of fire at 100 yards, 25 yards, clearing buildings, use of vehicles ect ect. so I just left that part out since this thread topic is more on the reliability of the SPX)
The Mossberg 930 SPX passed the grueling Blackwater workout with flying colors. It ran like a top with everything from slugs to light field loads, even though I didn’t clean it once during the two day course.
Thanks to the efforts of Blackwater’s skilled trainers, I came away from that class with a great appreciation for the capabilities of the fighting shotgun. I’ve always known that the 12 gauge was a devastating close range weapon, but my Blackwater experience taught me that an accurate shotgun such as Mossberg’s 930 SPX can also be wielded with great precision out to 100 yards.
Mossberg’s latest offering in the 930 SPX is among the best.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5009.jpg
(Sorry this is my personal 830SPX pictured...not the one used by the author. The author used a standard stock. This is just me shamelessly posting my baby, lol)

vafish
02-02-2010, 07:22
So did the writer mention how he uses the tang mounted safety with the pistol grip?

I like the location of the Mossberg safety with a conventional stock, but anytime you add a pistol grip to them I can't reach the safety.

Ljay
02-02-2010, 09:12
Looks like a good copy of an Rem 11-87,:whistling:

mixflip
02-02-2010, 11:31
Looks like a good copy of an Rem 11-87,:whistling:

I have a Rem 11-87 and noticed some major differences. The bolt release, the LPA Ghost ring sights and the Rem has a really long cut, rear of the charging handle for some reason? Oh and the 11-87 uses an rubber O-ring while the 930 series of semi's dont have any of these.