Reloaders? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloaders?

weiserthanu
02-02-2010, 00:19
Anybody have any recommendations on brand and type of reloader for 10mm?

G20Mark
02-02-2010, 02:49
Dillon 550

Tmygun
02-02-2010, 03:40
Are you talking about presses and dies, or components, like brass, powder and primers?

Tmygun:wavey:

weiserthanu
02-02-2010, 05:37
Are you talking about presses and dies, or components, like brass, powder and primers?

Tmygun:wavey:
Presses and dies.

frankmako
02-02-2010, 05:48
first time reloader?? or been reloading for so while??? look at the dillon systems, the 550 or the square deal (sdb). but to me the 550 it is not the system for the first timers. the sdb is pre set at the factory and you don't have to do much with it when you get it home. i got the 550 and sometimes you got to mess with it to make it run. you could get a single stage press and the other items needed to learn the ins and outs of reloading before moving up to the dillon.

weiserthanu
02-02-2010, 06:07
first time reloader?? or been reloading for so while??? look at the dillon systems, the 550 or the square deal (sdb). but to me the 550 it is not the system for the first timers. the sdb is pre set at the factory and you don't have to do much with it when you get it home. i got the 550 and sometimes you got to mess with it to make it run. you could get a single stage press and the other items needed to learn the ins and outs of reloading before moving up to the dillon.

I used to reload shotgun with a Lee Load-All but that was probably 30 years ago, so, basically a first time loader.

Smoker
02-02-2010, 06:38
I have RCBS equipment, works well for me..I don't load any 10's.

ChaneyD
02-02-2010, 07:00

Dillon 550B.

ALL presses require some fussing to get it running right. My first was the Dillon 550. An hour later I was running like crazy so don't let that intimidate you. Very easy press and the setup video is great.

why
02-02-2010, 12:57
RCBS Rockchucker or a Dillon. Nothing else. I like Lee dies.

Taterhead
02-02-2010, 22:38
If you are new, then I like the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. A single stage press can help to gain a sound understanding of fundamentals before increasing your throughput with a progressive setup.

I noticed that Midway is advertising a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for about $305. That includes a quality press, scale, powder throw, hand priming tool, and a Speer loading manual (probably the most important piece of equipment). It also has a case lube pad, lube, loading tray and probably something else I'm forgetting.

You'd probably want to get a powder trickler too. I like having a tumbler, but one could survive without it.

If you are loading for 10mm or other straight-walled case, I recommend spending a few extra bucks to get a carbide resizing die. I have RCBS carbide dies and they work great.

I get sufficient throughput after thousands of rounds from my RCBS single-stage press that I haven't felt the need to invest in a progressive setup.

f4tweet
02-05-2010, 18:39
RCBS Pro 2000

SimonovsDog
02-05-2010, 21:23
I am a new reloader. My first reloads were 10mm. I am using the Rockchucker Supreme set up. Natchez had the set for $279.00. I can't say if it's still on sale. For my first reloads, I used 9.4grs of Blue Dot behind 180gr JHP Zero bullets. It's a mild load, but very accurate.

weiserthanu
02-05-2010, 22:41
Thanks for all the great input guys! I haven't quite made my decision yet but you're giving me good advice to work with.:supergrin:

seaswol
02-06-2010, 17:23
Only DILLON. Their design and quality are great and their customer service is outstanding. I'm probably prejudiced since I inherited 3 Dillon presses. Dillon went thru my 550 and an SD. So far, I reload 45ACP on the 550 and 9mm on the square deal. Next, I'll set up dies for 10mm on the 550 and 40 S&W on the SD.
Chris

Streetking
02-28-2010, 10:40
I've used Lyman, Lee and RCBS. I think any single stage press will get you going and you will learn alot as you go. I use Lee dies and have never had a problem. I load mostly to avoid the cost of factory ammo. thruput is acceptable. Be sure to wrok your loads up and avoid the max. No sense in it if you're just punching paper.

thorn137
02-28-2010, 10:53
Every quality press will do the job. Asking "which press" is going to be like asking "which gun is best for self defense?" Around here, most people will say "Glock". Doesn't mean other guns aren't better choices for YOU - it's just that it's basically a popularity poll for equipment.

Same with presses. Lots of people will say Dillon... but don't overlook other presses; the 550B and SDB are not the end-all, be-all of presses. Other companies make quality gear as well. Do lots of reading on features, price. You may find Dillon is the best thing for you, or it might not be.

thorn

hill billy
03-01-2010, 08:16
Same with presses. Lots of people will say Dillon... but don't overlook other presses; the 550B and SDB are not the end-all, be-all of presses. Other companies make quality gear as well. Do lots of reading on features, price. You may find Dillon is the best thing for you, or it might not be.

thorn

Totally true. A 650 is MUCH better. :tongueout:

Kegs
03-13-2010, 09:42
I have recently purchased a lee hand loading press.

I love this press, because you can take it anywhere - no need for a bench - and you can load just about anything with it. 10mm is the only thing I care about loading right now, but seriously, you could load just about any typicall small arm round. I have my entire reloading set (except powder) in a small tupperwear container. This makes it possible to load on the road - you could easily throw it in a book bag or other small kit and take it with you.

I have an RCBS bench loader at home. That's fine, but if you're not at all (nor ever will be) concerned about portability, and plan to shoot a lot, then go with a progressive loader (like a Dillon that is mentioned above). Personally, I love this portable rig and won't bother going back to anything that perpetually takes up a whole table ever again.