What rifles are legal in illinois? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What rifles are legal in illinois?

theTactician
02-02-2010, 02:22
Hi guys, what kind of rifles are legal in the state of illinois? do they have to have fixed magazines? only 10 round magazines? only semi-auto's? are submachine guns legal too? :supergrin:

05FLHT
02-02-2010, 14:32
Your going to need to check local laws. I know Chicago and Aurora have an AWB. Most of the State you can own anything semi-automatic, no suppressors though. I am not sure of the .50 BMG, that is another thing you would need to check into.

as400guy1
02-06-2010, 14:47
Cook county as a whole is pretty restrictive.

MakeMineA10mm
02-06-2010, 14:55
Generally speaking, if you get south of I-80, there are few to no restrictions, depending on local ordinances.

North of I-80 (and East - closer you get to Chicago the worst off you are) there are plenty of restrictions, but there's still a lot of stuff permitted too. Need to get specific as to the locale to give you a better answer.

Full autos are generally banned and you have to be Federal MG dealer to have them anymore. I had a friend who was a collector and was grandfathered in when the machinegun ban went into effect. He could still have his as long as he complied with the old law, which was that he had to have the MGs registered with the state and he had to restrict their ammo capacity to no more than 8 rounds.

Only other way to get FA is to be a police officer and get Chief's permission. I've got two buddies who have MGs this way - one an Uzi and the other a couple HKs.

8-Ball
02-18-2010, 00:11
Anything is allowed as long as you don't have to have a federal license to have it (F/A, etc.).

volsbear
02-21-2010, 06:39
Hi guys, what kind of rifles are legal in the state of illinois? do they have to have fixed magazines? only 10 round magazines? only semi-auto's? are submachine guns legal too? :supergrin:

Where in Illinois? Chicago and some suburbs have some weird ordinances, but outside that you're good with a barrel of 16 inches or more, 30 round magazines, etc. What do you mean by "submachine guns"? And yes... only semi autos, but that has nothing to do with Illinois law (unless you have a FA I think but don't quote me). There's a guy who goes to Buffalo Park Shooting Range in Ottawa that brings a large cache of full auto stuff.

What in particular did you have in mind?