Taurus 1911 ALR review of my new gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 1911 ALR review of my new gun

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 09:50
(updated 3/27/2012, comments and a pic at post #43, after 2 years of owning this gun)

Taurus PT-1911 ALR (this is the model that has AR on the slide)
Government size, 34oz, Aluminum frame, with a rail, 5" stainless barrel, black slide, ambidextrous safety, Novak 3-dot sights, flat grip, beavertail grip safety with a memory pad, extended magazine release button, beveled magazine well. Checkering on the front and back of the grip. Checkered black plastic side grip panels. Serrations on the front and back of the slide, rounded hammer, stupid internal locking system (ILS) on the hammer. Made in Brazil.

What is my handgun experience? I've acquired about a dozen handguns over the past 20 years that I've had my NYS permit, and regularly concealed carry either a compact 9mm or a .38 snubbie, sometimes a sub-compact .380. I've taken deer with my .44mag revolver. I have a semi-auto .22LR pistol for target shooting, and a single-action .22LR revolver for plinking. I've done some local club competition in bullseye, bowling pins, and IDPA. My homeland defense pistol is a Beretta 92FS.

Why a 1911? I've never owned one before, and have only shot a couple different ones a few times. Probably have fired no more than 100 rounds of .45ACP before buying this gun. I don't need a 1911 for hunting, nor for target, nor for concealed carry. But I've always appreciated its role in military history, and always wanted one.

Why the Taurus? I had thought about a more traditional mil-spec gun, with looks similar to the WWII era 1911. Probably the famous name brand gun, or maybe some of the copy cat brands. But as I looked around, I didn't really like the feel, didn't like the grip, and didn't like the sights of the various guns I looked at. Then, one day in a gunshop I picked up the Taurus, and I intitially thought I don't want a rail, and I wasn't looking for an aluminum frame, and I don't want a gun with the ILS. But then the grip fit me perfectly, and I liked the checkering all the way around, and I liked how the beaver tail safety depressed and was comfortable for me. I liked the 3 dot sights. I liked the light weight and how it felt balanced in my hand. And I immediately started thinking of uses for the rail (like spotlighting coyotes at night). In short, I liked everything about the Taurus except for the ILS. The specific model I was holding came with 4 mags, a kydex paddle holster, and a kydex double mag holder. The gunshop also had the .357 my wife liked. So we decided to buy them both. The purchase price was $799 for the Taurus package, and I mentally figured that the value of the accessories made it about a $700 gun. In comparing in NYS gunshops, there weren't a lot of other 1911s in that price range, and non of them felt good in my hand. The Taurus felt perfect (aside from the ILS).

Internet scuttlebutt says I can replace the ILS hammer with various aftermarket hammers, should I ever decide to. I can also replace any of the parts, since the Taurus is supposedly built to conventional 1980s series specifications. I don't intend to replace anything, but at least I know I could change that hammer out if I wanted to. Taurus also has a lifetime warranty on the gun.

Since I examined the gun before I bought it, there are no obvious flaws. Fit and finish is very good. Field stripping was easy, even with the full-length guide rod which I had heard are sometimes more difficult to deal with, but didn't give any trouble at all. I cleaned the shipping grease off of everything I could, and then lightly oiled with my favorite Hoppes lubricating oil. None of my guns ever jam or malfunction with it. Since 1911 models in general are noted for needing a break-in period, I decided to detail my round count and any potential issues that may arise. My non-1911 guns don’t malfunction all, so keeping track of rounds is a new experience for me. Here is the account of the 80 rounds I've fired thus far:

Day 1, 10F.
Blazer 230gr FMJ, aluminum cases.
Rounds 1-8 in Taurus mag 1: no problems
Rounds 2-16 in Taurus mag 2: round #16 failure to eject.
(Case was fired ok, but stuck in the chamber, slide locked back open. Was able to slide case out with small screw driver, not much force needed).
Rounds 17-24 in Taiwan mag 3: first round wouldn't slide into battery. Mag seems a little loose, so I pushed it up and held it up with my pinky finger, then the slide would chamber the round. Had about 3 failures to go into battery.
Rounds 25-32 in Taiwan mag 4. Same problems as with mag 3.

5-shot 25 yard off-hand group was on target and a 5 3/4" group.

Field stripped and cleaned the gun again.

Day 2, 15F to 20F
Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ, only using Taurus mags from now on.
Rounds 33-64 no problems.

5-shot 25 yard off-hand group was on target and a 3" group.

Wife gave the gun a try.
Round 65, while chambering first round of a mag, failed to go into battery, wife said she probably didn't have the slide pulled far enough back, and the round was still half in the magazine, after she pulled the slide all the way back it went into battery.
Rounds 66-80 no problem (including her being able to chamber the first round of the subsequent mag).

13 of 16 shots on paper at 25 yards.

The gun shot fine for her, and she had no complaints. When initially looking at the gun, and its aggressive checkering all the way around the gun, she didn't like that part as much as I did. But after firing it, she said she didn't even notice the checkering, and the gun didn't slip in her hand. Recoil wasn't too much for her, but since she did put 3 rounds off paper, 8 1/2" by 11", I know she wasn't totally comfortable with it yet. Her other 13 rounds were in a 4" wide by 7" tall rectangle centered on the paper. If I had to guess, she probably had 3 snowdiggers low off the paper from anticipating the recoil. These details are meant as a gauge of her comfort with the gun. If anything was sharp or abrasive in the grip or elsewhere on the gun, she would have let me know. But she seemed to like the way it shot.

It is a very nice gun to shoot. But I hadn't realized initially that 2 of the mags were made in Taiwan. They are noticeably cheaper built than the Taurus mags. Shooting tests reveal they don't function well. As far as I can tell, the design allows the bullet to nose-dive too easily, and bullets do not sit up as firm against the magazine lips as they do with the Taurus mags. So, the Taiwan mags are junk. I'll see if I can exchange them for 2 more Taurus mags.

When using the Taurus mags, the gun seems to function pretty good. There was one failure to extract for me, with a Blazer aluminum cased round. I'm not sure what caused that. Maybe the gun needed to break-in more. Or maybe the case was dimensionally larger than it should have been, or maybe the rim wasn't shaped right. But I didn't notice anything wrong with the case, and it wasn't split. Not sure why the extractor didn't grab it.

I do notice the recoil. The amount of muzzle rise is about as much as my heavy .44 mag revolver. It is kinda a long slow push upward. I don't notice that sort of muzzle rise with any of my 9mm, not even my Glock 26. I could work on reducing the muzzle rise, but it doesn't bother me, it was more just an interesting comparison. I can see why in the great 9 versus 45 debates that some point out that the follow up shots with the 9 can be quicker. I haven't had a chance to bench rest yet, but I'm satisfied with my 3" off-hand group at 25 yards. I can't say yet how accurate the gun is, but I know it is at least accurate enough for casual target shooting.

Overall impression? I like the gun a lot. I really like the way it feels in my hand, how it aims, how it is comfortable to shoot. Everything works fine on it. It has a nice light crisp trigger pull, well balanced and easy to hold steady. I expect that it will run reliable with the Taurus mags. The only thing left to do now is just keep shooting it and enjoying it. I'll update after I get a chance to put more rounds through it.

quantim0
02-02-2010, 10:04
$800 for a Taurus 1911? I just threw up a little.

Glad you like it, but there's way better options out there for that kind of coin.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 10:13

Glad you like it, but there's way better options out there for that kind of coin.

I think all handguns in NYS are more expensive.

They have to be test fired and shell casing sent to NYS police. I'm not sure about the protocol and paperwork for doing that, but I've had dealers who were more than willing to order long guns for me, but they wouldn't bring in a handgun unless it went through their supplier and already had that stuff done on it.

When I was looking for a new Thompon rifle caliber handgun for hunting, I couldn't find a local dealer who would bring one in for me because of the test firing issue. So after a year of trying, I ended up buying a used one.

So in general, a new handgun already in a display case is worth more than one available through an out-of-state oneline auction.

Not trying to defend price or value, but just putting it into context. None of the 1911s I've actually seen were less expensive, except for the Rock Island base model.

Isn't the whole point of gun-control laws to make things more expensive and less available to the public? NYS has accomplished that. You've got to spend about $100 or more and a year of paperwork time and frustration just to get a permit to own a handgun. If no permit, then having a handgun is a felony. Then each and every handgun purchase has to be approved and listed on your permit, with additional paperwork fees.

doolyd
02-02-2010, 10:49
They are selling for $850 in Texas at Gander Mountain.

That place has always been a rip off and that is ridiculous for a PT1911.

sns3guppy
02-02-2010, 11:14
The exact number of failures cited is somewhat vague, but would appear to be as high as 11 failures out of a hundred rounds?

In a gunfight, you'll be golden so long as you remember to hold that magazine in with your pinky.

KinderGlocken
02-02-2010, 11:25
Wow! I just paid $800 for a new Colt S-70. I had a little bit of buyers remorse but feel better now. Traided up from a Taurus PT1911 that I paid $469 new. Got $400 on trade. Not bad only lost $69 on the Taurus.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 11:26
Wow! I just paid $800 for a new Colt S-70. I had a little bit of buyers remorse but feel better now. Traided up from a Taurus PT1911 that I paid $469 new. Got $400 on trade. Not bad only lost $69 on the Taurus.

Glad I could help :)

KinderGlocken
02-02-2010, 11:30
So is that true about the manufacture have to send a case to the NY police? That's a little scary to me. I'm sure your taxes are higher on guns or something? Also it is the north east and wages and cost of living is higher than here in the south so I guess it makes since.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 11:31
The exact number of failures cited is somewhat vague, but would appear to be as high as 11 failures out of a hundred rounds?

In a gunfight, you'll be golden so long as you remember to hold that magazine in with your pinky.

I suspect the number of failures with the Taiwan mags would be near infinite. I lost exact count with those, as I realized they were headed for trade-in or waste basket.

To the Taurus haters, you'd really have to wonder why they'd include 2 cheap mags in a packaged box of goodies. Their own made in Brazil mags seem pretty good. The two types of mags are completely different construction. I guess they just wanted to mess with their customers :rofl:

As to the number of failures with the Taurus mags, I had 1 failure to extract. Believe me, I will remember that failure to extract.

I've shot lots of Blazer aluminum cased ammo through my Beretta 92 and never had a failure to extract, nor any other kind of failure.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 11:35
So does that true about the manufacture have to send a case to the NY police? That a little scary to me. I'm sure your taxes are higher on guns or something? Also it is the north east and wages and cost of living is higher than here in the south so I guess it make since.

I'm not sure the exact way it gets done, but yes any new handgun sold in NYS has to have a fired shell go to the NYS police. I've read that they've solved 0 crimes with that information, but have spent millions to maintain the database. Not to mention how much more that drives up the cost to people like me, both in taxes and in actual purchase price. I imagine the process involves a load of paperwork, and probably not just anybody is allowed to fire the gun and provide the empty shell.

I don't know about higher wages.

faawrenchbndr
02-02-2010, 11:39
:popcorn:

PlasticGuy
02-02-2010, 12:50
While I have no problem recommending against buying a gun that has been proven to have a lot of problems, I try not to do it AFTER the gun has already been purchased. Instead I switch to "solve the problem" mode.

I think you nailed it when you said you are getting rid of at least two of the magazines. Personally, I would dump all three and buy a few Wilson 47d mags. I run them in all of my 1911's without problems. If $27 for a magazine sounds expensive, look at what Sig and HK want for their mags these days.

The extraction issue might be ammo induced (Blazer can makes some guns a little moody), or it might actually be an extractor issue. I wouldn't do anything yet. Watch it closely, and if it happens with anything else I would replace the extractor.

I know you said you don't want to replace anything until it breaks, but I'd replace the hammer now. I had one break while handling it in the store (I was working as a gun department manager at the time, and I was happy I broke it before I sold it to anybody). Anyway, it tied up the gun so the slide wouldn't cycle. If there had been a round it the chamber, there would have been no way to get it out so I could ship the gun back to Taurus. I know it's just one event, but I'll still suggest being pro-active about replacing that hammer. The other breakages we had were with the safeties and the slide stops. Inspect them every time you clean the gun to make sure they're not cracking.

And thanks for the review. It was very detailed and very fair, I thought. You did an admirable job of pointing out the good points while being open and honest about the bad.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 13:08
I think you nailed it when you said you are getting rid of at least two of the magazines. Personally, I would dump all three and buy a few Wilson 47d mags.

Thanks for the info, and I'll keep an eye out for those Wilson 47d mags.
:)

quantim0
02-02-2010, 15:13
I feel bad for you guys up there. Can you order online and have a transfer done? That would be a good way to save some coin.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-02-2010, 15:50
I feel bad for you guys up there. Can you order online and have a transfer done? That would be a good way to save some coin.

Not sure, as it needs to meet the fired shell casing requirement for NYS Police. One guy said the gun needs to be dropped off to the NYSP, then wait weeks, then pick it back up from them, then the dealer can sell to a customer.

I think the guns that come more direct from the factory have a different path, with a provided fired shell casing.

AZ Husker
02-02-2010, 16:00
You guys make so much money up there that $800 for a Taurus is nothing! :supergrin:

quantim0
02-02-2010, 16:41
Not sure, as it needs to meet the fired shell casing requirement for NYS Police. One guy said the gun needs to be dropped off to the NYSP, then wait weeks, then pick it back up from them, then the dealer can sell to a customer.

I think the guns that come more direct from the factory have a different path, with a provided fired shell casing.

Most guns I've gotten that I can remember came with fired shell casings in an envelope. I figure they could just send that out when they get the transfer and then you can pick up the gun.

But what do I know? I moved from NJ to avoid all that BS when buying a gun.

bac1023
02-02-2010, 18:48
They are selling for $850 in Texas at Gander Mountain.

That place has always been a rip off and that is ridiculous for a PT1911.

:wow:

Rinspeed
02-02-2010, 19:19

I've had two dealers after seeing there was no fired case just put down used on the slip instead of new. If it was test fired at the manufacturer it's not really new. :dunno:

ithaca_deerslayer
02-03-2010, 08:06
I've had two dealers after seeing there was no fired case just put down used on the slip instead of new. If it was test fired at the manufacturer it's not really new. :dunno:

I love that kinda problem solving :)

KinderGlocken
02-03-2010, 08:23
I posted this in another post but i thout it fit here as well. I wanted others to know what I had to deal with!

I had one of the 1st Taurus PT1911s and had zero problems with it except the sight dots washed out and the finish wore off pretty quickly. I did not like that the sights are proprietary and at the time no one made any that would fit the dove tails. You still can’t get any drop in adjustable sights. Why would a company go on their own and not use one of the standard dovetails?

My biggest beef was that I lost the firing pin safety plunger spring during a cleaning. I looked everywhere for that bugger. So I called Taurus and spoke to someone in Customer No Service and waiting an exurbanite amount of time on the phone and being dropped and having to call back several times! After I finely got someone on the phone they said they do not have any parts in stock and they didn’t think that they were going to get any in. They also said they did not know of an American source to order them from. I asked how the hell can you sell a firearm and not have the simple parts and especially a small spring that is easy to lose. They had no answer and said to try a Colt Series 80 spring.

So I ordered a Colt spring from Midway. It was too big and didn’t fit. At this point I was mad and wondered why in the hell would they not just use the industry standard? So after researching the boards I found out that Kimber used the same spring. I called Kimber and spoke to their Customer Service. Within a few minutes I was off the phone and Kimber was shipping me a spring at no charge! Got the spring and it fit!

After taking the Taurus apart and dealing with that spring along with not wanting a firing pin safety I knew I did not want another Series 80 1911!.I just recently traded the Taurus for a Colt Series 70. If Kimber made a Series 70 I would have definentley gave them a look after their exceptional customer service. So I dumped Taurus because of their lack of Customer Service.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-03-2010, 08:45
When was it that they didn't have a spring? And did you have the Heine straight 8 sights or the Novak 3 dot?

The newer guns come with the Novak.

KinderGlocken
02-03-2010, 09:26
This was a couple of years ago, right after they came out. Their customer service is a joke! It was the fake Heine's made by Taurus. I called Heine and he said that he designed the sight for the 24/7 and authorized Taurus to make but he did not think they would put it on another gun. He said that it was never intended for a 1911.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-03-2010, 09:37
This was a couple of years ago, right after they came out. Their customer service is a joke! It was the fake Heine's made by Taurus. I called Heine and he said that he designed the sight for the 24/7 and authorized Taurus to make but he did not think they would put it on another gun. He said that it was never intended for a 1911.

Thanks. Hopefully they might have the parts in stock now, if ever needed.

I think the basic problem with their customer service is that people try to speak Spanish to them, and they actually only understand Portuguese :rofl:

sns3guppy
02-03-2010, 11:14
If Kimber made a Series 70 I would have definentley gave them a look after their exceptional customer service.

They did.

AZ Husker
02-03-2010, 14:51
Still do.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2010, 09:17
Put 18 rounds of aluminum cased blazer through it, and had:
1 failure to feed
1 failure to extract from chamber
1 failure to extract resulting in horizontal stovepipe

That was the last of that box of 50. My conclusion is, the gun doesn't like Blazer.

Then, later after the gun was cold, and without cleaning, put 18 rounds of Federal American Eagle through it. Slow two-handed, slow one-handed, and fast two-handed. No jams.

So far, the gun has fired all the Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ (only 66 rounds so far), without any malfunctions. That doesn't count my wife's difficulty in chambering the first round of a mag the first time she tried the gun (because she thinks she didn't rack the slide back far enough).

Anyway, I'll keep feeding the gun those Federals for another 100 or so, and see if still no malfunctions. After that, I'll either stay with the Federals or try some other brass for the fun of it. But I've given up on the aluminum for it, even though my other guns in 9mm and .380 eat aluminum no problem.

I really, really, like how comfortable this gun is to shoot. :) I'd have to try a bunch of 1911 for comparison :)

ilgunguygt
02-05-2010, 10:12
Put 18 rounds of aluminum cased blazer through it, and had:
1 failure to feed
1 failure to extract from chamber
1 failure to extract resulting in horizontal stovepipe

That was the last of that box of 50. My conclusion is, the gun doesn't like Blazer.

Then, later after the gun was cold, and without cleaning, put 18 rounds of Federal American Eagle through it. Slow two-handed, slow one-handed, and fast two-handed. No jams.

So far, the gun has fired all the Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ (only 66 rounds so far), without any malfunctions. That doesn't count my wife's difficulty in chambering the first round of a mag the first time she tried the gun (because she thinks she didn't rack the slide back far enough).

Anyway, I'll keep feeding the gun those Federals for another 100 or so, and see if still no malfunctions. After that, I'll either stay with the Federals or try some other brass for the fun of it. But I've given up on the aluminum for it, even though my other guns in 9mm and .380 eat aluminum no problem.

I really, really, like how comfortable this gun is to shoot. :) I'd have to try a bunch of 1911 for comparison :)
Sounds like it doesnt like the aluminum at all. Otherwise looks like its workin out good for ya, congrats!:wavey:

MD357
02-05-2010, 10:30
By your description, you're having some different problems. A properly setup 1911 should feed Blazer alum. Your stovepipes make me wonder if your extractor is tension correctly. Do you know how to detail strip it yet?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2010, 10:47
By your description, you're having some different problems. A properly setup 1911 should feed Blazer alum. Your stovepipes make me wonder if your extractor is tension correctly. Do you know how to detail strip it yet?

No, but I think I know how to get the firing pin and extractor out. This is what I've read/remember:

-- push safety plunger in
-- push firing pin in till it stops
-- let safety plunger out
-- firing pin should be held in on it's own by the safety plunger
-- slide the back plate thing down (don't know what it is called)
-- might have to use a punch to force the back plate thing down
-- push firing pin in, then push safety plunger in, and slowly carefully let the firing pin come back and out of it's home.
-- slide the extractor back and out of it's home.

Sound right?

The question I have is, what kind of tuning can be done to the extractor? It looks like it just sits there. I can't imagine how it can be adjusted, other than by reshaping it.

Also, on the aluminum cases that didn't extract (or maybe all of them, but they are buried in the snow), there is a ding on the rim. I'm guessing the extractor tried to get a grip, but only got a partial grip. The same ding is on the brass, but they apparently get a full grip. Is this common? The ding is very small, like pencil tip in width, and on the bullet side of the rim, at about a .45 degree angle. Meaning, the back of the rim has the full diameter, and no ding. But the bullet side of the rim has this little bit of a ding.

The ding is so little, I'm not sure if I'm really seeing it. But I don't notice it on unfired cases.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2010, 10:58
I found a link on extractor tuning. Essentially it is about reshaping. I'm not in a hurry to do anything. Maybe, if I have a problem with brass feeding, then maybe I'll try bending the extractor a little, so the "claw" is closer to the cartridge rim. I don't know if it is far away right now or not. I'll have to try putting an empty under there with the slide off, and see if it needs bending.

Looks like the link below suggests bending the back of the extractor, and not the part near the claw itself.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

ilgunguygt
02-05-2010, 11:00
No, but I think I know how to get the firing pin and extractor out. This is what I've read/remember:

-- push firing pin in, then push safety plunger in, and slowly carefully let the firing pin come back and out of it's home.

Sound right?

The question I have is, what kind of tuning can be done to the extractor? It looks like it just sits there. I can't imagine how it can be adjusted, other than by reshaping it.

Also, on the aluminum cases that didn't extract (or maybe all of them, but they are buried in the snow), there is a ding on the rim. I'm guessing the extractor tried to get a grip, but only got a partial grip. The same ding is on the brass, but they apparently get a full grip. Is this common? The ding is very small, like pencil tip in width, and on the bullet side of the rim, at about a .45 degree angle. Meaning, the back of the rim has the full diameter, and no ding. But the bullet side of the rim has this little bit of a ding.

The ding is so little, I'm not sure if I'm really seeing it. But I don't notice it on unfired cases.
Almost sounds like the aluminum is sticking in the chamber a little bit and the extractor cant get it out. IF it works fine with all other ammo but that one, takea closer look at the case. Is the extractor groove in the rim different? Wider, deeper, etc? I would just go to shooting brass cased ammo and start reloading now. Its an expensive proposition to shoot factory brass cased .45acp.

MD357
02-05-2010, 11:17

Sound right?

Before you consider all that, try a simple check, all you have to do is field strip it, then slide a round between the extractor and the breechface. If the claw of the extractor holds it steady then with no support then it is properly tensioned. If it slides through and falls to the ground or has significant resistance then it needs to be properly tensioned. I check extractor tension on all my new guns anyways but that's just me.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=73565

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2010, 11:26
Before you consider all that, try a simple check, all you have to do is field strip it, then slide a round between the extractor and the breechface. If the claw of the extractor holds it steady then with no support then it is properly tensioned. If it slides through and falls to the ground or has significant resistance then it needs to be properly tensioned. I check extractor tension on all my new guns anyways but that's just me.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=73565

Thanks, that all sounds simple and logical.

That's why I bought a Taurus. You wouldn't want me to butcher up a Colt, would you? :rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
02-05-2010, 11:31
Almost sounds like the aluminum is sticking in the chamber a little bit and the extractor cant get it out. IF it works fine with all other ammo but that one, takea closer look at the case. Is the extractor groove in the rim different? Wider, deeper, etc? I would just go to shooting brass cased ammo and start reloading now. Its an expensive proposition to shoot factory brass cased .45acp.

I don't reload. But the price between the Blazer and the Federal is only $1 per box of 50. And I donote all my brass to club members who do reload.

"Is the extractor groove in the rim differrent?" Hmm, not sure what you mean. But I will take the slide off, and stick some empties under there and see if I can see a difference between how the rims of the Blazer and the Federal fit.

Heck, I haven't even yet thought of putting one Blazer back to back to one Federal, and see if they have a different rim size.

I'm going to have to grab a bucket and a shovel, and walk down to the end of my pasture and do some digging through the snow for my empties. Then I'll have to bring them in, melt them out, dry them out, and do some examinations. :rofl:

MD357
02-05-2010, 13:10
That's why I bought a Taurus. You wouldn't want me to butcher up a Colt, would you?

Well you at least would have gotten an $800 gun with a Colt.:rofl: Extractor tension and GOOD mags go a long way in solving 1911 "problems."

DAT85
02-06-2010, 06:56
I don't reload. But the price between the Blazer and the Federal is only $1 per box of 50. And I donote all my brass to club members who do reload.

"Is the extractor groove in the rim differrent?" Hmm, not sure what you mean. But I will take the slide off, and stick some empties under there and see if I can see a difference between how the rims of the Blazer and the Federal fit.

Heck, I haven't even yet thought of putting one Blazer back to back to one Federal, and see if they have a different rim size.

I'm going to have to grab a bucket and a shovel, and walk down to the end of my pasture and do some digging through the snow for my empties. Then I'll have to bring them in, melt them out, dry them out, and do some examinations. :rofl:

Stick with the brass and your Taurus should run.Also,don't go light on the lube.I been working in a gun shop that has been selling Taurus 1911's since they first came out.The customers that I personally know that bought Taurus 1911's have all had problems with the Blazer aluminum ammo.
I don't reload but I am willing to spend a couple of dollars more to put brass down the pipe.The only guns I run aluminum ammo in consistantly
are AK's.
And,as I am new to the forum I am hesitant to express my opinion on Taurus 1911's.:upeyes:

Regards,
DAT85

Substance-P
02-06-2010, 07:11
Thanks for posting your experience. Sounds like some good ideas have been shared to help you iron out a few of the bumps

KinderGlocken
02-06-2010, 11:33
The only guns I run aluminum ammo in consistantly
are AK's.
Regards,
DAT85

And where are you getting aluminum 7.62x39 for your AK's. Never seen that. Do you mean steel? Big difference between aluminum and steel.

M4J0R T0M
02-06-2010, 20:05
I love mine. It has been a very reliable gun. It now has between 280-300 rds downrange and exactly ZERO malfunctions.

Due to a lack of quality, mostly in the past, Taurus has a poor reputation. You cant really blame the haters. I think their QC is getting better, but it can still be hit or miss. I think I may have gotten lucky and got a one of the nice ones. Hope you did too.

BTW, Mine came with two Taurus mags and a Laserlyte mini laser for the rail for $549.00 plus tax. Another reason I liked the gun.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-08-2010, 08:39
I took the slide off and had some Blazer aluminum and Federal brass empty shells to place under the extractor and see what it all looks like.

The extractor could fit 2 thicknesses of rim under it. It seems to be positioned left to right pretty good; maybe it could be adjusted to be closer to the shell, but not much.

I tried to take the back plate off, moved the firing pin out of the way, and tried to tap that plate off with a punch but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to booger things up, so I gave up on that. Not much I could do once I had it off, anyway. Maybe bend the extractor so it is a smidge tighter against the shells, left to right. But I don't know if that would help or hurt. I can't imagine how I could adjust the length so that only one rim's thickness would fit under the extractor.

Anyway, of the 122 brass rounds I shot so far, no malfunctions.

All malfunctions have only been with the 1 box of 50 Blazer aluminum rounds that I had. I just won't buy more of those for the gun.

Perhaps problem avoided/solved :rofl:

DAT85
02-09-2010, 07:19
And where are you getting aluminum 7.62x39 for your AK's. Never seen that. Do you mean steel? Big difference between aluminum and steel.

duh....Brain Fart.:faint:
I really need to lay off the tequilla.At least until after 10am!:supergrin:
DAT85

ithaca_deerslayer
03-27-2012, 13:39
Ok, it's been a couple years. Don't know how many rounds I've put through the Taurus, but not too many. I took it to IDPA end of last year and had one failure to extract with American Eagle 230gr brass. That really ticked me off, as it was the first brass failure to extract I had ever had with it. Thought about sending it back to the factory, but wasn't confident they'd really diagnose or fix the perceived issue.

Had a friend check out the extractor for me. He got it apart, looked it over good and put it back together. While he thought it was a little long, he thought it was fitted well enough. He put a 17 pound recoil spring in for me to try as the remedy (stock was 15 pounds).

I haven't tried Blazer Aluminum yet, but it is cycling 100% with no problems at all on everything I've tried since having the 17 pound spring. Winchester white box 185gr FMJ, Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ, Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ, and most impressively the Speer Gold Dots 230gr JHP :)

I am very pleased with the Taurus at the moment. Still love the grip, the way it feels to shoot it, and the accuracy.

Here is a pic of 25 yards, standing off-hand, Gold Dots 230gr JHP, 2.75" group. Looks like I've got to work on my single-action trigger a little bit :) I've been shooting my Glock 17 a lot more.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/7014896973_fa5002a76a_b.jpg

TN.Frank
03-27-2012, 14:22

A local guy was selling a Blued Colt Gold Cup that looked to be in pretty good condition for $800 bucks. It was a Series 80 but still. Wow, so much for Taurus being inexpensive guns.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-27-2012, 14:28
A local guy was selling a Blued Colt Gold Cup that looked to be in pretty good condition for $800 bucks. It was a Series 80 but still. Wow, so much for Taurus being inexpensive guns.

Just because I spent a lot in NY doesn't mean they go for a lot across the country. Heck, there's probably better deals in NY on them right now. But it was a purchase of opportunity. I saw, I liked, the wife said yes, and 9 days later I had a bouncing baby Taurus in my arms :)

TN.Frank
03-27-2012, 15:52
I noticed that CDNN has the Taurus PT1911's in 38 Super for $449 IIRC but they're all pimped out with gold trim and stuff. I like the looks of your gun a lot better. I just hope you can get it running right.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-27-2012, 18:43
I noticed that CDNN has the Taurus PT1911's in 38 Super for $449 IIRC but they're all pimped out with gold trim and stuff. I like the looks of your gun a lot better. I just hope you can get it running right.

Appears to be running right, now, far as I can tell :)

clancy
03-27-2012, 19:08
The PT1911 that I (regretfully) traded for my Glock 27 is going for $429. It operated flawlessly. Unfortunately the dealer has taken so many guns in he is not accepting any trades on purchases, otherwise I would trade the Glock back for it.

GVFlyer
03-28-2012, 06:54
Gosh, a gun saga. Your review evolved into more of a diary. In any event, it has been a good read. You are a meticulous thinker and have an enjoyable writing style.

I've never fired a Taurus 1911, but we've had good luck with their revolvers. It sounds as if your Taurus is serving you well. Shoot it in good health.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-28-2012, 07:53
Gosh, a gun saga. Your review evolved into more of a diary. In any event, it has been a good read. You are a meticulous thinker and have an enjoyable writing style.

I've never fired a Taurus 1911, but we've had good luck with their revolvers. It sounds as if your Taurus is serving you well. Shoot it in good health.

Thanks for the compliments :)

Looks like my 12 years on GT have been well invested.

glockenturm
03-28-2012, 11:47
Just because I spent a lot in NY doesn't mean they go for a lot across the country. Heck, there's probably better deals in NY on them right now. But it was a purchase of opportunity. I saw, I liked, the wife said yes, and 9 days later I had a bouncing baby Taurus in my arms :)

You meant 9 MINUTES, right???

Sent from a Turkish Prison!

ithaca_deerslayer
03-28-2012, 12:54
You meant 9 MINUTES, right???

It was probably 9 days.

NYS permit, go to gunstore buy gun, get serial number, go to county clerk's office to fill out ammendment form, get puchase coupon, go to gunstore with purchase coupon, take home new gun :)

Depending upon the county, the steps can be in different order, easier or harder, quicker or longer.

carloglock19
03-28-2012, 14:42
One of my coworkers just picked up a Taurus 1911 and he is happy with it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TN.Frank
03-28-2012, 15:45
You know, the 1911a1 has been around for so long and been built by so many different companies that they've really got to work hard to screw one up. Only two(three actually) that I didn't like were the two AMT Hardballers that I had(don't know how I gut suckered into a second one) and the Auto Ord. Pit Bull. Other then that all the others have been pretty decent guns. :cool:

glockenturm
03-28-2012, 19:51
It was probably 9 days.

NYS permit, go to gunstore buy gun, get serial number, go to county clerk's office to fill out ammendment form, get puchase coupon, go to gunstore with purchase coupon, take home new gun :)

Depending upon the county, the steps can be in different order, easier or harder, quicker or longer.

Fill out computerized 4473, hand over Driver License and Concealed Handgun License. Salesman records sale in the book. Walk out with gun. God Bless Texas!

BTW, I love my PT1911B.

Frog1
03-29-2012, 17:27
I bought one two years ago and I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Accurate, reliable, no failures of any kind and nothing has fell off. As long as I stay off of Taurus hatres.com, I don't feel so bad about it.

Oh by the way, the 24/7 OSS smokes any Glock 21 I have ever owned. I have owned a lot of them.

Islander1
03-29-2012, 17:55
I've had my Taurus PT1911 for a few years. It's accurate and reliable. Never a FTF or FTE. Shoots even the cheapest ammo. I don't understand all the hate!

Rinspeed
03-29-2012, 18:09
I don't understand all the hate!

If your safety fell off within 200 rounds and then it took six months for Taurus to fix it you would understand. :rofl: