vegas weekend. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : vegas weekend.

Azjeeper
02-02-2010, 10:53
I am going to las vegas for a weekend I know my states ccw permit is not valid in Nevada how can I legally be armed in Las Vegas? I know open carry is legal except in North Vegas "I dont plan on going there" anyway I know in the hotel or on the strip I do not think I will "need" a gun on my person. Im more concerned about travel on the highways and is it legal to have the gun in a suit case or backback like say from parking lot to hotel room.

osiruscyn
02-02-2010, 19:01
You can open carry but doing so in the strip corridor is going to get you stopped and stopped often. You can have a loaded pistol in your vehicle in Clark County and not need a permit for it. Just make sure it's not on your person. The only exceptions to this is North Las Vegas and Boulder City. In those areas, you have to have them locked up like California, of course this goes against state law but they do whatever the want in those jurisdictions, regardless of what other people state. High cap mags are all good as well.

Azjeeper
02-02-2010, 20:26
So on my trip to vegas can i have the pistol holstered on my person while driving my car? and for in the car where is legal to keep the gun? glove box trunk map pocket? thanks for your help. LOL I wish I would have took the non resident ccw class about now.

osiruscyn
02-02-2010, 23:40
So on my trip to vegas can i have the pistol holstered on my person while driving my car? and for in the car where is legal to keep the gun? glove box trunk map pocket? thanks for your help. LOL I wish I would have took the non resident ccw class about now.

When you are in your car, better off not having it on you. A cop could try and get you for carrying a concealed weapon. In the car, you can keep the gun in the glove box, under the seat, under you, next to you, in between the seat, anywhere you want, just don't have it on you if you don't have a NV or state recognized ccw.

Azjeeper
02-11-2010, 10:27
is it legal to unload the gun and put it in a bag?

Quiet
02-11-2010, 20:51
is it legal to unload the gun and put it in a bag?

Only if the bag is locked.

takemine2
03-11-2010, 23:28
You can put the gun in a bag, briefcase, purse, whatever your fancy is, as long as that item is not on your person or being carried by you personally or by any other person that does not have a valid permit. That would be considered "concealed" by Nevada law.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3673

NRS 202.3653 Definitions. As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or other firearm which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

Not knowing from where you will be traveling from, it is safe to answer your one question about traveling with a holstered pistol this way: Once you cross into Nevada, you are safe to do so. There is no law against open carrying in Nevada, therefore it is legal. You will have to follow the usual laws as far as where you can carry (federal buildings, schools, etc).

You can have a loaded handgun anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is not on your person since your permit is not valid here in Nevada.

I don't know North Las Vegas law very well but it is my understanding that you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle unless you hold a current concealed weapons permit. Otherwise, it is said that your firearm must be or should be unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of a vehicle or not accessible to the driver or passenger in a truck. Check the provide link for the actual code.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16023/level2/T9_C9.32.html#T9_C9.32_9.32.080

As far as Boulder City is concerned, an officer there I spoke with confirmed with me that their Attorney General has issued notice to the BC Police Department that they are to abide by the State Preemption laws. We can carry as we normally would in Vegas, on person or in a vehicle without issue.

For the most accurate information, it would be best to contact the proper authorities of any state or city you wish to visit or pass through to verify their laws.