Ordered my SA Custom...finally [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my SA Custom...finally

GJ1981
02-02-2010, 13:50
It's taken me some time to spec this out but I have finally sealed the deal. I figure I'll do the same thing here that I did with my Novak HP. This will be a timetable for anyone considering their work, which is :supergrin:

Specs:
5" 1911 .45acp
Fit slide to National Match Frame
GI vertical rear serrations
Fit Kart National Match Barrel with EGW Carry Bevel Bushing, flush cut barrel with recessed crown, 11 degrees.
Full internal tuning/reliability work
Highcut front strap (Colt style)
Install 10-8 .140 U-notch rear sight
Install dovetail front sight w/ tritium dot insert (white outline)
Action job,with ring style hammer
10-8 solid flat trigger.
Fit Ed Brown Tactical Extended thumb safety, non ambi
CYLINDER & SLIDE forged slide stop, flush cut with frame
Radical Carry Bevel
Fit Ed Brown grip safety
Install flat mainspring housing
Stippling on front strap and mainspring housing.
Ion Bond DLC finish entire pistol and all small parts except for the trigger and hammer.
Ball-cuts on slide
Heinie Mag Well
VZ Operator grips, Desert Sand G10.
Wilson Combat Tactical Magazine Release
Fit spare extractor

The surprising thing was this build is only $85 more than my Professional :wow:

I thought I was going to be well past 3k...or am I wrong thinking this should have been a bit more?

nastytrigger
02-02-2010, 14:14
My Loaded is at Geneseo now getting upgraded. Best custom shop! Long wait... First 'custom' gun. Really don't like to wait, but no other option. I'll get over it when I see mine in person!

faawrenchbndr
02-02-2010, 14:25
Wow,....gotta go change my shirt. Slight drool problem.:whistling:

Congrats, sounds very sweet!

beretta-neo
02-02-2010, 16:41
Very nice - I could have sworn a while back that Deb told me that you couldn't get a custom shop gun with GI serrations - either I am remembering wrong, or in the past year and a half, things have changed.

GJ1981
02-02-2010, 16:53
I dunno, I worked with Dave Williams on this build. My FFL worked with Deb at first but some of the info/pricing from her to Dave was different.

I was surprised none of my parts selection caused a problem. I know the Brown GS and regular SA frames don't match well without welding; maybe the CS frames have large tangs.

Either way one more planned...with a rail :shocked:

Substance-P
02-02-2010, 18:13
Looks like it will be a great gun...good luck with the wait.

bac1023
02-02-2010, 18:32
That should be a killer 1911.

Congrats and I can't wait to see it. :)

GJ1981
02-02-2010, 19:18
good luck with the wait.

I've learned to deal with it...this is my 3rd 1911 for this year. I'm tempted to do one more once I spec it out but might hold out. I'm not sure who I'll have do my next project.

Dave estimated 9-11 months, but I was given the same time for my Pro, which was almost 16 months.

bac1023
02-02-2010, 19:57
Yeah, waiting sucks, but when it comes to custom 1911s, you really have no choice.

GJ1981
02-04-2010, 15:56
Bad news for me, now I'm told they don't have GI serrations :crying:. I had it spec'd out perfectly too.

I knew the price was too low and found out it is higher than I was quoted. I think they should stand by their first quote, but what can I do beside buy somewhere else, and who other than a full custom will customize it how I want.

I'm still going to do it, but I have to tweak everything to work in my other build I had planned. I wanted the vertical serrations since I was lead to believe it wouldn't be a problem. End rant.

beretta-neo
02-04-2010, 22:10
Sorry dude. I had prev asked about doing a custom carry that way before I ordered my 1st custom shop gun. They wouldn't do it. I guess the GI slides aren't made up to the standards that they want for the custom guns.. Only think I can think of.

Substance-P
02-05-2010, 06:37
Sorry about the frustration. Should still be awesome when it is done though. Hopefully, the increased price isn't too much.

GJ1981
02-05-2010, 07:33
Sorry dude. I had prev asked about doing a custom carry that way before I ordered my 1st custom shop gun. They wouldn't do it. I guess the GI slides aren't made up to the standards that they want for the custom guns.. Only think I can think of.

The strange thing is Deb worked up a quote earlier this year of another project I was planning, a Retro, and it was G2G.

I'm having a lot of confusion with their shop right now so it MAY still be possible, but right now I'm telling myself it isn't. I don't know why a custom shop wouldn't cut the serrations in house, but it's possible on the slide differences either way.

Hopefully, the increased price isn't too much.

It is a significant jump. I knew something was wrong when its cost was equal to a Pro. I was planning two builds, mild and wild, so either I'll drop one and go all out on one or work both in somehow. Time will tell.

MADBMW
02-06-2010, 09:38
So the custom shop is doing the ion bond now? I just got my custom carry back from them last month, wish I had thought to ask as I would have gone with ion bond for sure.

GJ1981
02-06-2010, 09:48
So the custom shop is doing the ion bond now?

$300

When I emailed Dave about finishes his words were, "We have every finish available…"

I'm thinking about Melonite if I do my second build...if only I could get a response on a price.

ronin.45
02-06-2010, 10:04
Sorry you are getting jerked around. It's sad that even when you are willing to spend top dollar nothing goes as planned. It will still be totally worth it.

beretta-neo
02-06-2010, 14:37
I was told that they can do any finish, and also any texture - including goldball, snakeskin, chainlink, etc.

I thought about doing something besides checkering on the custom carry I just ordered - but I've never really seen a Springfield with chainlink or snakeskin before - I'm not sure how it would look on a Springer.

I did just change the finish on my order from Armory Coat to Black T yesterday, however.

GJ1981
02-06-2010, 15:06
and also any texture - including goldball, snakeskin, chainlink, etc.

I've given chainlink a thought despite never handling it. I did ask Dave about the textures, specifically the "golf ball," so he sent a few pics. It looked pretty sweet to me, if I do my second build I'll have to try it since its specs will be anti-purist :devilish:.

http://i45.tinypic.com/262pslu.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/96kygj.jpg

Substance-P
02-06-2010, 16:20
Love the golf ball look.

beretta-neo
02-06-2010, 16:28
I have an Ed Brown special forces - so I know what chainlink feels like. I have never held one with the golf ball texture or with stripling.

GJ1981
02-16-2010, 14:50
Talk about an ordeal, I think I have finally gotten this resolved.

I was getting a bunch of conflicting answers about the GI cocking serrations but have finally been told they CAN make a custom slide, a bit salty though.

The only problem is they do not need any new NM slides for a few months, so I added 3-6 months onto my build time until they produce new ones.

I think it will be worth my wait...plus I'm close to doing a second SA custom, what can I say...I like their work.

bac1023
02-16-2010, 15:11
Love the golf ball look.

I'm starting to like it more and more.

Quack
02-16-2010, 16:06
i like the golf ball...need to get my ideas together so that i can order one to get here by for my b-day in December.

bac1023
02-16-2010, 16:57
i like the golf ball...need to get my ideas together so that i can order one to get here by for my b-day in December.

You better order soon. ;)

GJ1981
02-16-2010, 17:25
I hope I get mine in December too, my Pro arrived on my b-day last year.

I am going Ionbond on one and Metaloy on the other so I don't know the time frame for these finishes, but I'll be optimistic since I've heard 3-4 months on the DLC.

ronin.45
02-16-2010, 18:18
I like the Golf ball. I think Pistolwrench had some good shots of his style.

bac1023
02-16-2010, 18:22
I like the Golf ball. I think Pistolwrench had some good shots of his style.

Yes he did. :)