Recommendations for 1st Shotty... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 1st Shotty...

Sampo
02-02-2010, 14:43
In the market for my first shotgun and I have no idea where to start... I've heard and read about both the Mossburg 500 and Remington 870 series and find that they are both solid platforms...other than that, not really sure what else to look for.

I know I want it to be a 12gauge, and I would like to be able to put a pistol grip with full stock on it. I will be mainly used at the range and as HD. Not sure how the length of the shell translates into cost of ammo, but I would like to be able to buy a full range of ammo (cheap ammo for range/quality ammo for HD). Also I'm a fan of the "underdog" brands of firearms, so feel free to throw those in the mix.

David Armstrong
02-02-2010, 14:49
Don't put a pistol grip on it. Having said that, either will work. I've had them both and would go with an 870, but that is habit and experience as much as anything else.

mixflip
02-02-2010, 14:50
My Mossberg Maverick 88 was only $199 and it takes all the 500 upgrade parts. Its a good starter shotgun for range fun and home defense. Its got dual action bars and dual extractors and it even has a "behind the trigger" safety so it will work better with a pistol grip stock vs the tang mounted safety on the 500/590 models.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5045.jpg

Now if you have a little extra money, I'd go with the Remington 870 just because the fit and finish is great! It feels like quality. Or the Mossberg 590A1 because I like the heavy/thicker parts, ext mag tube, metal trigger guard and the infamous "bayonet" mount for SHTF fun vs the 500.

I am actually selling this shotgun to finance a Mossberg 590 or a Remington 870 myself lol. Right now I am leaning towards the 590A1...but that could change come shopping day?

aippi
02-02-2010, 15:10
Look at the Remington model 25077. It is all one needs. All the other stuff is fine, but not needed. I know that sounds funny from somone that makes a good living from "the other stuff" but truth is truth no matter who states it. The other stuff is nice to have if the wallet agrees.

KDawg0007
02-03-2010, 04:32
I am about to take the plunge into the shotgun market. The shotgun I decided on was the Remington 887 tactical nitromag. It's a pump action but half what a Remington 1100 goes for. I wasn't impressed with the Mossberg. I'm waiting for my FFL to get the ones he ordered in to handle it and make a final decision.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Sampo
02-03-2010, 08:39
Wally World has the Mossy 500 for $227 and the Rem 870 for $287 in my area...are those prices pretty average/reasonable? Both have wood stocks (or wood like...).

vafish
02-03-2010, 09:02
The tang safety on the Mossberg makes it a PITA to operate with any pistol grip. You just can't get your thumb up to it while maintaining a grip on the gun.

The advantage to the tang safety on the Mossberg 500 is that it is very easy to use with either hand.

I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Remington 870. That's not because I think the Mossberg is a superior shotgun, but mostly because I have 1 son that is left handed and 1 that is right handed but who can also shoot just as well left handed.

Now a co-worker of mine recently had his adult daughter move back in with him. Both he and his wife are former Army enlisted and comfortable around firearms, but they never owned any. Daughters ex-husband is being a real pain and has made verbal threats as well as posting what he wants to do to his ex wife on his Facebook page. My co-worker decided he needed a firearm for home protection and wanted something both his wife and daughter could use. He purchased a Mossberg 500 20 Ga Bantam model shotgun. He has taken it to the range and shot it a couple of times now. Just the other day he got the opportunity to handle a Remington 870 20 ga shotgun. His comment to me was "I wish I would have bought the 870 instead"

I think that says a lot about the fit, finish, and feel of the 2 guns as they leave the factory. In my experience the 500's smooth out quite a bit after time, but on initial feel the 870's are much smoother.

Anyhow long winded answer, short answer is that either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 will work fine for home defense. I'd also recommend you take a look at the Benelli Nova.

das9mm26
02-03-2010, 13:06
Wally World has the Mossy 500 for $227 and the Rem 870 for $287 in my area...are those prices pretty average/reasonable? Both have wood stocks (or wood like...).
WOW!!!
I paid $227 for my Moss 500 at Wally..but they were asking >$400 for the Rem 870!!
Went with the Moss...although I owned an 870P many years ago (had to sell - financial situation......hated to part with it!!).

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-03-2010, 16:54
:embarassed: THREE words....Remington 870 basic.

akgunnut
02-04-2010, 00:05
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/870Wingmaster.jpg

Remington 870

Taking down bad guys and birds since 1950!:whistling:

glockmancustom32
02-04-2010, 00:07
My Mossberg Maverick 88 was only $199 and it takes all the 500 upgrade parts. Its a good starter shotgun for range fun and home defense. Its got dual action bars and dual extractors and it even has a "behind the trigger" safety so it will work better with a pistol grip stock vs the tang mounted safety on the 500/590 models.

Now if you have a little extra money, I'd go with the Remington 870 just because the fit and finish is great! It feels like quality. Or the Mossberg 590A1 because I like the heavy/thicker parts, ext mag tube, metal trigger guard and the infamous "bayonet" mount for SHTF fun vs the 500.

I am actually selling this shotgun to finance a Mossberg 590 or a Remington 870 myself lol. Right now I am leaning towards the 590A1...but that could change come shopping day?

+1 agreed:cool:

aippi
02-07-2010, 20:51
AKgunnut - that is our exact issued duty weapon and seeing the pic you posted makes me want one for old times sake. I will built one when I get caught up and it will be mine. Great weapon and keeps with my adivce to all of Keep it basic.

B Coyote
02-07-2010, 22:08
I was a Mossberg fan until I bought an 870.

bc

lawndart98
02-08-2010, 17:17
Get the 870.

Faulkner
02-08-2010, 18:22
Since it's your first shotgun, here's my advise. Don't go into the gunshop and ask to see a shotty, Mossy, or Remmy. If you do they will laugh at you and probably think you are gay. :pjmn:

Real men and most boys over the age of 14 do not call their shotguns "a shotty" in casual he-man gun talking conversation, why do it here. :upeyes: Don't mean to offend, but someday you will thank me for this advise.

Sampo
02-08-2010, 22:42
Since it's your first shotgun, here's my advise. Don't go into the gunshop and ask to see a shotty, Mossy, or Remmy. If you do they will laugh at you and probably think you are gay. :pjmn:

Real men and most boys over the age of 14 do not call their shotguns "a shotty" in casual he-man gun talking conversation, why do it here. :upeyes: Don't mean to offend, but someday you will thank me for this advise.

Enlighten me, what else goes during these he-man conversations? Do you pound on your chest, burp, scratch inappropriate areas? Thanks for not contributing anything useful... :upeyes:

Thanks, but no thanks, keep the crappy advise.

mitchshrader
02-08-2010, 22:49
get a turkey gun with choke tubes, or a spare barrel with choke tubes. either way works, but buying a shotgun that ISN'T ABLE to take them is ignoring cheap field ammo and cheap training.

How many times do you want to shoot buckshot at the range? It gets old fast. And pricey.

I'd like to have every SD shotgun that's over 5 years old and hasn't made it to the second box of shells yet.

It'd be a lot of 'em.

frankr
02-09-2010, 03:43
For home defense I have my Glocks but If I need a shotgun I have the 870 express with 18" Barrel, Cyl Bore, 2 shot extension. For the range I love to shot my Mossberg 930 SPX.

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 07:02
Enlighten me, what else goes during these he-man conversations? Do you pound on your chest, burp, scratch inappropriate areas? Thanks for not contributing anything useful... :upeyes:

Thanks, but no thanks, keep the crappy advise.

On the contrary, it's really, really good advise!!!! It's a SHOTGUN. You're considering buying a Mossberg Shotgun or a Remington Shotgun.

Do you describe things as hooziebuggers, thing-a-muh-jiggers, thingies etc.????:tongueout:

Bill Lumberg
02-09-2010, 07:36
Unless it's for a girl, it's a shotgun or a 12 gauge, not a "shottie". Can't go wrong with a basic Remington or Mossberg. Now, please excuse me while I polish my shottie while sitting with a blankie, typing on my lappie, sucking on my binkie. Not. :)

Fed Five Oh
02-09-2010, 07:45
On the contrary, it's really, really good advise!!!! It's a SHOTGUN. You're considering buying a Mossberg Shotgun or a Remington Shotgun.

Do you describe things as hooziebuggers, thing-a-muh-jiggers, thingies etc.????:tongueout:Yep. It was good advise.

Sampo
02-09-2010, 08:14
Well, then in that case thanks for learnin' me how to speak more better 'bout gats, shotties, and things that go boom.

Its always nice to know that when I go to an informal forum seeking advice from user/owners on a particular tool/product, I have someone there ready at the helm to offer up advice on how to "speak correctly" (albeit with little concern for political correctness) rather than address my initial question.

For those who put forth useful information regarding my initial post, thank you.

Sampo
02-09-2010, 08:19
get a turkey gun with choke tubes, or a spare barrel with choke tubes. either way works, but buying a shotgun that ISN'T ABLE to take them is ignoring cheap field ammo and cheap training.

How many times do you want to shoot buckshot at the range? It gets old fast. And pricey.

I'd like to have every SD shotgun that's over 5 years old and hasn't made it to the second box of shells yet.

It'd be a lot of 'em.

Would you mind elaborating... essentially what's the difference between a Turkey gun and the aforementioned. What, essentially does a choke tube do for a shotgun? I am all for inexpensive training...

Bill Lumberg
02-09-2010, 08:26
You are welcome. Good luck whatever shotgun you choose.

B Coyote
02-09-2010, 11:29
http://eatpoopyoucat.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/boomstick.jpg

bc

hikerpaddler
02-09-2010, 11:38
We put pistolgrip speedfeed stocks on all of our patrol shotguns, so I have one on my personal. Wouldn't have it any other way. As previously noted, can't go wrong with a Mossberg 5XX or Remington 870.

Faulkner
02-09-2010, 11:53
Well, then in that case thanks for learnin' me how to speak more better 'bout gats, shotties, and things that go boom.

Its always nice to know that when I go to an informal forum seeking advice from user/owners on a particular tool/product, I have someone there ready at the helm to offer up advice on how to "speak correctly" (albeit with little concern for political correctness) rather than address my initial question.

For those who put forth useful information regarding my initial post, thank you.

Your welcome. Just trying to help a fellow out.

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 12:12
Your welcome. Just trying to help a fellow out.

No you're not!

You're just being a smart-aleck who likes to nit-pick.

Thank goodness no one said "clip" instead of "mag" or you'd have probably went ballistic.

Hard as this may be for you to swallow, the vast majority of people do not consider Grammar-Nazis and their nitpicking helpful.

As to the OP get whichever you like or can afford. Honestly you won't go wrong with any decent shotgun. Sure everybody has their preferences and opinions but when you get down to it they all work just fine and will serve whatever purpose you need them for. Mossberg, Remington, or even a Maverick, they all have their little differences but they all still do the same thing, shoot shotshells.

Since it's your first keep it simple and basic. Spend your extra money on shells for learning how to use the thing instead of fancy gee-gaws or gee-whiz add ons. Shotguns are pretty basic but like any weapon you have to learn how to use one correctly and you can only do that with practice.

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 14:24
Since we're in a urinating contest now...........I'll say this to the OP...........since this is you're first shotgun, why don't you spend some time at a trap and skeet range and get the feel for them first. Granted you're looking for a HD shotgun; but as a life long bird hunter, I'll sure can tell you this........all shotguns are different. Different in the way they mount, feel, carry etc. What I like and what fits me probably won't work for you. Get what's comfortable for you, not what some gumby here on a forum says. That's why I say go the range first. They have loaner guns there you can try. Tell them what you're looking for and they'll be glad to help......both in training and in information. Heck, you may even wanna continue in the trap and skeet and sporting clays thing after shooting a few. Good luck.

My take on a HD shotgun would be this. Get a Remington 870 basic, cut the barrel down, get a fiber optic site, take the plug out of the magazine, mount an elastic shell holder on the "off" side of the stock and call it good. A light only adds weight. A pistol grip is worthless IMHO, as you feel more recoil with it.........thru your hand, into your arm..........and you definitely don't want a pistol grip with a tang safety. With what I've described, you've got one in the chamber, 4 in the magazine, 4-5 on the stock, and with a Remington, you've got a gun that's basically bullet proof. Don't get me started on Mossturds!!!!:faint:If you need more rounds than that for initial HD, your probably screwed anyhow. Cheers.

Ljay
02-09-2010, 14:29
Thank goodness no one said "clip" instead of "mag" or you'd have probably went ballistic.

I still find myself using the term clip, But thanks to the board police,

I wonder if England or Australia uses the term "Shotty"

I think Mossburg is a good value,
However I would get the 870

Thank you Mr. Armstrong for the common since, I know it still confuses some folk

But Remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/10638/Please_Dont_Replicate.jpg

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 14:38
Get what's comfortable for you, not what some gumby here on a forum says.

........a Remington, you've got a gun that's basically bullet proof. Don't get me started on Mossturds!!!!:faint:

Too bad people don't practice what they preach. :upeyes:

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 14:42
Too bad people don't practice what they preach. :upeyes:

Oh gosh, you caught me!!!!:tongueout::tongueout::wavey: I don't like Mossbergs.....but that's just me. I don't care for Remington shotguns either because they don't fit me..........that's why I have Benellis and Brownings and Winchesters.:upeyes:

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 14:48
Oh gosh, you caught me!!!!:tongueout::tongueout::wavey: I don't like Mossbergs.....but that's just me. I don't care for Remington shotguns either because they don't fit me..........that's why I have Benellis and Brownings and Winchesters.:upeyes:

Well perhaps you could explain to him what exactly it is you don't like and why.

Personally I don't like the way the Remington 870s have the slide release way up front on the trigger guard, or the shell lifter hanging down to pinch your fingers and make it harder to load, and I also prefer the tang safety over the crossbolt.

I mean you're complaining about the safety on a Mossberg with a pistol grip, but yet you're content with where Remington puts the slide release???

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 15:01
Ebb27, are you arguing just to argue, or do you have a point????? I told the OP that all shotguns feel, point and handle differently.......and to get what he likes after handling them. So I put my personal opinion in at the end of my post.........big effing deal!!!!!:tongueout::tongueout: Get over yourself!!!

I still stand by the paragraph from my earlier post about the HD shotgun.

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 15:14
Ebb27, are you arguing just to argue, or do you have a point????? I told the OP that all shotguns feel, point and handle differently.......and to get what he likes after handling them. So I put my personal opinion in at the end of my post.........big effing deal!!!!!:tongueout::tongueout: Get over yourself!!!

I still stand by the paragraph from my earlier post about the HD shotgun.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/sgthulka.jpg

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion.

If you wanna be some "gumby" on a forum who just expects everybody to take his word for it then fine, but yeah I do like to "argue" the finer points of weapons when I'm trying to explain the differences.

But hey if being a dorkweed who goes around calling guns "turds" gives you your jollies more power to you.

If nothing else it gives those who want to learn, some idea of the value of your opinion "gumby". :tongueout:

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 15:42
Chill out Francis!
But hey if being a dorkweed who goes around calling guns "turds" gives you your jollies more power to you.

OK, since you asked, I'll tell you why I don't care for Mossburgs or IMHO Mossturds. I've owned 3.........that's right........3............Mossburg 835 Ulti-Mags. None of them shot where pointed. And yes, you POINT a shotgun, you don't aim it unless you've got sites on it. Two of my waterfowling buds also have owned them in the past and experienced the same thing. Between them, that's 5 835 Ulti-Mags, ..........none shot where pointed on waterfowl. I will preface this before I go any further saying that all my remarks and the remarks I make in behalf of my 2 buds, are OUR OPINIONS ONLY!!!!!!! Flame suit on.......have at it.:dunno:

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 15:57
OK, since you asked, I'll tell you why I don't care for Mossburgs or IMHO Mossturds. I've owned 3.........that's right........3............Mossburg 835 Ulti-Mags. None of them shot where pointed. And yes, you POINT a shotgun, you don't aim it unless you've got sites on it. Two of my waterfowling buds also have owned them in the past and experienced the same thing. Between them, that's 5 835 Ulti-Mags, ..........none shot where pointed on waterfowl. I will preface this before I go any further saying that all my remarks and the remarks I make in behalf of my 2 buds, are OUR OPINIONS ONLY!!!!!!! Flame suit on.......have at it.:dunno:

Well as a matter of fact I own an 835 and have never had a lick of trouble taking birds of any kind with it geese, ducks and turkey. I've even used it for dove hunting and got my limit easily.

Odd how thousands of 835 owners take birds every year but you and your buddies just can't seem to get the hang of it. You'd think that if they were that bad Mossberg would have quit making them years ago.

Perhaps you should blame the archer instead of the bow. ;)

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 16:16
Well as a matter of fact I own an 835 and have never had a lick of trouble taking birds of any kind with it geese, ducks and turkey. I've even used it for dove hunting and got my limit easily.

Odd how thousands of 835 owners take birds every year but you and your buddies just can't seem to get the hang of it. You'd think that if they were that bad Mossberg would have quit making them years ago.

Perhaps you should blame the archer instead of the bow. ;)

OK, I'll play the game with you. So, in essence, you're calling me a liar, right???? At least that's what I gather by your posts so far.

All I can tell you is my personal experience with the said brand of weapon, and the personal experience of seeing my good buds with the same said brand of weapon. In all honesty, I'd have much more respect for you if you'd come straight out and call me a LIAR.......... IN TYPE ANYHOW.

Not that it means much; but anytime you'd like to get together and shoot birds........real birds................clay birds..........I'm open. Just don't pull this crap. You're a big person when hiding behind a keyboard aren't you??? Put up or shut up. I've got the pix to back my exploits up also. Anytime Gumby.:wavey::whistling:

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 16:28
OK, I'll play the game with you. So, in essence, you're calling me a liar, right???? At least that's what I gather by your posts so far.

All I can tell you is my personal experience with the said brand of weapon, and the personal experience of seeing my good buds with the same said brand of weapon. In all honesty, I'd have much more respect for you if you'd come straight out and call me a LIAR.......... IN TYPE ANYHOW.

Not that it means much; but anytime you'd like to get together and shoot birds........real birds................clay birds..........I'm open. Just don't pull this crap. You're a big person when hiding behind a keyboard aren't you??? Put up or shut up. I've got the pix to back my exploits up also. Anytime Gumby.:wavey::whistling:

Okay you're a damned liar!!!

Happy now Francis??? :upeyes:

You told your experience then I told mine.

One thing there Francis, what in the world do you personally think would cause a shotgun to not shoot where it was "pointed".

It's not rocket science Francis, it's just a metal tube that blasts out shot. There's no rifling or damaged crown that's gonna make the shot fly crooked.

So come on now try to explain why it wouldn't shoot where it's pointed, because personally it doesn't make any sense to me.

I never called you a liar in any previous posts, I actually just thought you were a doofus, but hey if the shoe fits wear it, gumby.:tongueout:

Pix???

Pix of what, to back up what exploits???

If you've got "pix" of a Mossberg 835 shooting crooked then let's see them!

And knock off the keyboard kommando crap Francis, nobody is hiding behind anything tough guy. I'm trying to have a sane discussion but you seem bound and determined to make a pissing match out of it.

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 17:03
Ebb27, my guess is you work for Mossberg!!! Because if you spend anytime in a duck or goose blind you'd know that the Mossturd ain't one of the big timers in there. At least not around my parts. Enough said. I truly feel sorry for you!!!:upeyes::yawn::yawn:

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 17:09
Ebb27, my guess is you work for Mossberg!!! Because if you spend anytime in a duck or goose blind you'd know that the Mossturd ain't one of the big timers in there. At least not around my parts. Enough said. I truly feel sorry for you!!!:upeyes::yawn::yawn:

Yeah that's it gumby I must work for Mossberg.

Great rebuttal to my points there Francis, I was totally owned! :upeyes:

Well I think everyone can see exactly what kind of person you are and how much stock to put in your lies...er I mean opinions, dorkweed. :tongueout:

Faulkner
02-09-2010, 17:58
No you're not!

You're just being a smart-aleck who likes to nit-pick.

Hard as this may be for you to swallow, the vast majority of people do not consider Grammar-Nazis and their nitpicking helpful.

Whatever. :upeyes:

Say what you want, I bet ol' Sampo won't be going into his local gunshop and asking about their shotties. Sure, he took a little grief here on the internet but we probably saved him some face to face embarrasement in the long run. He may not admit it, but he's the better for it in the long run. Mission accomplished.

dorkweed
02-09-2010, 18:11
Thanks Faulkner!!! I've got your backside anytime.

Mr. Ebb27, I need not answer to your minutia, as you are not the Almighty that I live my life for. Can you name 1 thing in any of my posts that was false????? You asked you why on certain things, and I told you........it wasn't good enough for you. So be it.

You are officially on my ignore list now. Have a nice life..........Gumby!!!:tongueout:

Ebb27
02-09-2010, 18:17
You two deserve each other.

A Grammar-Nazi and a dorkweed! :tongueout:

Go accomplish some missions together!

Be sure and take some pix of your exploits!

Oh my, I'm on your ignore list Francis????

Golly that just breaks my heart in two, dorkweed!!!

:supergrin:

Glock-it-to-me
02-09-2010, 18:21
I love my Winchester 1300

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Winchester1200Def-1.jpg

Ljay
02-09-2010, 19:14
I love my Winchester 1300

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Winchester1200Def-1.jpg

Remember the movie "The Getaway" circa 1972 with Steve McQueen,
I think this Winchester 1300 was used in it, It was the first Shot-gun I ever seen with the magazine as long as the barrel! It was a good movie, He blasted a bunch of bad guys up and police cars with OOBuck I wanted one ever since:innocent:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Getaway211.JPG
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5NzQ5MzUwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDgxNjM2._V1._CR0,0,293,293_SS100_.jpg

fragout
02-09-2010, 21:14
I'll say one thing about the 1300's, probably the smoothest sliding action pump I've ever shot. You don't see as many 1300's, I always wondered why, such nice shotguns. And Ithaca's always wanted a nice Ithaca deer slayer. I also handled a Browning BPS? tactical/ HD pump in a shop, it seemed really well made and fairly inexpensive. I know Browning has always made nice auto loaders, wonder if they actually make their HD pump or out sourse it? Eh guess it doesn't really matter. Most pumps are pretty decent today.

gnepig
02-09-2010, 21:30
Wow, For a while there I thought I'd clicked on the Glock Talk-Romper Room section or somethin...

Anyway... You like pistols right? How about the Judge? Shoots 45 Long Colt and 410 shotshells. Makes a great close quarters HD shotgun, very manuervable and even somewhat concealable. Holds 5 rounds and costs about 400 bucks used. Just a different thought...

I have two Mossberg 500s, one 12 ga and one 410= love them both. Also have a Beretta semi auto 12 ga, it was kinda expensive but very worth it.

Good luck on your decision.

bluenoise
02-10-2010, 11:58

David Armstrong
02-10-2010, 12:45
Sometimes good advice comes in forms that we might not recognize right away. It is still good advice, but it just takes a while to understand it.

Aceman
02-10-2010, 16:45

Yep - Maverick is a great buy, and great performer. As for the safety issue, I've never had a problem with it. when it's business time, the safety goes off on picking it up, and stays that way. When at the range, the safety could be anywhere.

But really - the best price on a 870 or 500 is my call. I love my Mossberg - but wouldn't love an 870 any more/less.

And I like pistol + stock. But regular stock is just fine too.

CTfam
02-15-2010, 11:29
Wow shame on you guys for crapping all over this thread.

It boils down to price range and control locations. I have a pistol gripped stock on my 500a and it's not a great combo with the top mounted safety. I'm going to get a Maverick 88 because the safety is in a better spot and my stock and night sight will fit on it no problem. Buds Gun shop has them for $195 shipped and my local shop will do the tranfer for $20. That's $215 out the door for a rock solid gun.

If you want something with better fit and finish then check out the 870s. I think they are a bit overrated myself. Don't like the location of the controls and that shell lifter that is always in the way. Plus it's more money which dips into the ammo fund.

Another awesome option is the Benelli Supernova Tactical. Probably better than everything else mentioned here. PERFECT control location, ghost ring sights, etc.

Good luck.

Pentothal
02-16-2010, 21:54
Look at the Remington model 25077. It is all one needs. All the other stuff is fine, but not needed. I know that sounds funny from somone that makes a good living from "the other stuff" but truth is truth no matter who states it. The other stuff is nice to have if the wallet agrees.

@ aippi
I've been to your site and seen your masterful work. I appreciate your input on this topic, so I'll pose a question: How does the 25077 compare to the Remington model 81202?

For reference: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_871/products_id/56471

Thanks in advance...

B Coyote
02-16-2010, 22:26
Looks to me like you're paying extra for the funky finish and muzzle brake.

bc

hikerpaddler
02-17-2010, 11:51
That's the conclusion I came to, B Coyote, way back when. I researched on my lappy, looked at both mossys and remmys. Had lots of time with both. Went to buy the one with the funky finish and "breacher", but decided, after a nappy, to get a plain remmy with extended tube and conventional finish, at a lower price. Added a pistol grippy stock, and I'm done. Good gun. Good god I hate talking like that. (voice of Stewy from Family Guy)

mixflip
02-17-2010, 12:19
I have a mossy 590 and love it. I wanted a remmy 870 but they were a few benjy's (Benjamins) more. I found my mossy shotty used on backpage.com and saved a bunch of cashy since I didnt have to pay the back groundy and taxys.

Like the mossy 590A1 but I didnt feel I was getting more gun for the money it costs.

Opticspecialist
02-17-2010, 12:47
also take a look at the saiga 12. they are great too, i'm looking hard at the super nova myself.

mixflip
02-17-2010, 14:42
+1 on the Supernova tactical pump. I just learned about it and all its wonderful Italian features. I like it alot! I hear its like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford as far as build quality goes. (Remington & Mossberg vs the Benelli) Pricey but hey its a Benelli and you only live once right! Benelli.com had this model advertised at $550-ish retail.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/BenelliSuperNovarightsideP1010059.jpg

CTfam
02-17-2010, 16:09
+1 on the Supernova tactical pump. I just learned about it and all its wonderful Italian features. I like it alot! I hear its like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford as far as build quality goes. (Remington & Mossberg vs the Benelli) Pricey but hey its a Benelli and you only live once right! Benelli.com had this model advertised at $550-ish retail.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/BenelliSuperNovarightsideP1010059.jpg

Oh yeah, add that to the list of WANTS. :cool:

bsg1
03-06-2010, 01:30
i have a benelli M1 Super 90 but not for hd. i am starting to look hard at the benelli Supernova tactical pump (will keep Super 90). the proof is in the puddin; if you can, try out different shotguns before making a purchase. the ergonomics are important; placement of controls, weight and balance, ability to properly grasp and operate. what you don't want is a shotgun that fits everyone but you. that will go over about as good as a turd in a punch bowl. the same logic fits with handguns, motorcycles and your sweetheart. keep it simple....

-Brady-

Shima
03-06-2010, 21:14
Upon watching Mixflip's youtube review, I sold an extra Glock I had in the safe, and bought my first shotty, a Benelli Supernova Tacticool just like the one in the video. Can't wait to go shoot it.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu239/shimadog/th_DSC04901.jpg

got_metal
03-06-2010, 22:53
After witnessing and experiencing 2 different 870's jam in the exact same way (couldnt rack the slide after firing, had to slam butt end on the ground to eject round) I bought a 590 and never looked back. Been flawless for thousands of rounds. Just my experience.

mixflip
03-06-2010, 23:24
Upon watching Mixflip's youtube review, I sold an extra Glock I had in the safe, and bought my first shotty, a Benelli Supernova Tacticool just like the one in the video. Can't wait to go shoot it.

Hey Shima, thanks for watching btw. Just fyi, I just posted a new range video of me and my new SuperNova. Its not a range review but just a video of my buddy and I breaking it in.

Congrats on the Benelli. I think you will love it even after selling an extra Glock to get it. It gets nice and buttery after a few boxes of ammo. They come from the factory kinda tight at first, at least mine did. Now its like buttah!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJ9f28Aw30

84S
03-07-2010, 03:50
First shotgun?? Clays? Hunting? or Home Defense?? A Remington express 870 with two barrels can cover all needs for the most part. If you just want one for defense purposes, the 870 police magnum or Mossberg 590a1 is where you should start looking. There are many options with shotguns. Don't get a pistol grip only shotgun.

Straight Pipe
03-07-2010, 09:54
Benelli Super Nova Tactical. The actions are buttery smooth and they are fairly light wieght. You can get them with or with a pistol grip. Plus, they're Glock like. The reciever is polimer so they're rugged as hell. I know of a couple of people that have them and they say that they somehow always end up as their go to gun. And for a Benelli they are reasonably priced as well.

CTfam
03-07-2010, 12:39
I love those Super Nova Tacticals. I have a question about the PG stock. The LOP looks really long. Anyone know how long it is?

Sampo
03-10-2010, 08:30
Was out at one of the local big chains and came across a New England Firearms Pardner Pump... Very appealing price, fit and finish were great (IMO) and for a 20$ difference I could get one with wood furniture. What's the general concesus on these? Quality, aftermarket parts availability, reliability? Seemed like an 870 clone...

Fed Five Oh
03-10-2010, 16:25
I recommend that you not waste your money on a Chinese clone.

CTfam
03-10-2010, 18:20
Despite being a chinese clone, I've actually heard good things about them. How much more is a Mossberg? I'd pick up a Maverick 88 if I was feeling cheap. In fact, I AM!!!! :)

Aceman
03-10-2010, 20:00
There is nothing but love for the Maverick 88. May be the best of both worlds between 870 and 500. I don't care if they made it on the moon or those little Keebler Elves put it together in a Tree.

That and an XD9mm - all you'll ever need.

CTfam
03-10-2010, 20:13
There is nothing but love for the Maverick 88. May be the best of both worlds between 870 and 500. I don't care if they made it on the moon or those little Keebler Elves put it together in a Tree.

That and an XD9mm - all you'll ever need.

I agree. Even though I don't have an 88 just yet... I'll spring for the Super Nova Tactical one day. That solves the Safety and mag release issue for me.

The Remington 870 is overrated IMO. Go ahead! Flame on! The controls suck, the shell lifter sucks and they're over priced. THERE I said it! :bringiton: