Is the GAP gaining popularity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is the GAP gaining popularity?

Maximus13
02-02-2010, 17:27
Is the GAP gaining popularity? Iíve been reading more about it and it seems to be gaining some ground. I know all the 45 ACP cult members would disagree with this but I see it more regularly on line as well as in gun stores. What are your thoughts on this?

Officer's Match
02-02-2010, 17:56
Is the GAP gaining popularity? Iíve been reading more about it and it seems to be gaining some ground. I know all the 45 ACP cult members would disagree with this but I see it more regularly on line as well as in gun stores. What are your thoughts on this?

I know for sure it is gaining in popularity of people I shoot with (after they try mine). Frankly, outside of trying to benefit those I'm close to, I really don't have a burning need for the GAP to be "embraced" by the mainstream. If it does - GREAT. But I don't loose any sleep over it.

Maximus13
02-02-2010, 19:51
True I just want it to have enough populairity to keep it around so I can still get it. I know of 4 State Police Deps that have it including mine so that should help it. I guess price is not really a problem for me since they buy ours for us. Nice dog, Yours?

DannyR
02-02-2010, 20:15
Five out of 49 State Police Agencies have adopted the G37: NY, PA, SC, GA & FL.

How many of the remaining 44 use:

.45ACP? How many Use Glock G21's?
.357Sig? How many use Glock G31's?
.40S&W? How many use Glock G22's?
9mm? How many use Glock G17's?
10mm? How many use Glock G20's.

Brigrat
02-02-2010, 20:32
Five out of 49 State Police Agencies have adopted the G37: NY, PA, SC, GA & FL.

How many of the remaining 44 use:

.45ACP? How many Use Glock G21's?
.357Sig? How many use Glock G31's?
.40S&W? How many use Glock G22's?
9mm? How many use Glock G17's?
10mm? How many use Glock G20's.
what state doesn't have a state police agency???

Officer's Match
02-02-2010, 20:46
True I just want it to have enough populairity to keep it around so I can still get it. I know of 4 State Police Deps that have it including mine so that should help it. I guess price is not really a problem for me since they buy ours for us. Nice dog, Yours?

Yes. Yours too.

JTG30
02-02-2010, 21:33
I knew they would come around.

RBL525
02-02-2010, 23:58
what state doesn't have a state police agency???

From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_police Looks like Vermont, they run on a county system.

In the United States, state police are a police body unique to each U.S. state, having statewide authority to conduct law enforcement activities and criminal investigations. In general, they perform functions outside the jurisdiction of the county sheriff (Vermont being a notable exception), such as enforcing traffic laws on state highways and interstate expressways, overseeing the security of the state capitol complex, protecting the governor, training new officers for local police forces too small to operate an academy, providing technological and scientific support services, and helping to coordinate multi-jurisdictional task force activity in serious or complicated cases in those states that grant full police powers statewide. A general trend has been to bring all of these agencies under a state Department of Public Safety. Additionally, they may serve under different state departments such as the Highway Patrol under the state Department of Transportation and the Marine patrol under the Department of Natural Resources. Twenty-three U.S. states use the term "State Police."

DannyR
02-03-2010, 04:40
Hawaii is the State with no State Agency.

Among the 49 States there is a variety of names that the State Agency goes under, such as California Highway Patrol and Texas Rangers.

MSgt Dotson
02-03-2010, 06:04
The reason the ammo is more available is becuase so few are buying it....

Pity, as the pistol does dispense ACP-like ballistics from a 17/19/26 sized handgun...

pmj
02-03-2010, 08:09
I'm curious to see how sales of GAP pistols and ammo will increase as the result of more agencies adopting it. Both will probably pick up some since the Florida and South Carolina HP's are transitioning to it, but time will tell. Currently there are 4 or 5 agencies already using it here in NC.

What are general prices for a 50-round box of GAP ammo in your areas? I picked up two, 50-rnd boxes of 185 gr. Gold Dot from a police distributor in Raleigh on Monday and paid $26 and some change + tax for each.

Regards,
Phil

DannyR
02-03-2010, 08:13
Phil,

That is an excellent price. I reload all my practice ammo and buy all my defensive ammo on-line.

pmj
02-03-2010, 08:28
Danny,

I purchased it at Lawmen's Safety Supply here in Raleigh - the new G38 needed some fuel! Have paid almost that much for a box of 20 rnds over the interent just to get some ammo in when I picked up the G37 last month. Lawmen's also has a store in South Carolina for our fellow GAPpers there.

Ordered brass (Starline - before they were out of it) and bullets (Berry's) from Graf and Sons last month so I could start reloading. Those are here now and powder should arrive today. I finally found Univ. Clays and Titegroup in the smaller quantities. Yesterday I ordered 1,000 pieces of brass from Starline. That will be awhile coming since they are waiting on enough requests to run another lot.

Now I need to get with the program and order more bullets. I'll probably order them through Montana Gold per our previous discussion.

If you need anything from down this way don't hesitate to let me know.

Phil

AggiePhil
02-03-2010, 09:17
Short answer: NO

Thx-1138
02-03-2010, 11:10
In the past five weeks, we've gotten ten eleven new members to the Bull Dawgs users group.

That's a much higher rate than we've seen in the past.

There are some good deals on GAP Glocks to be had out there; people are taking a chance on them, and after they shoot it, they tend to like it.

GAP threads are receiving less animosity in General Glocking and Carry Issues.

We've picked up another State Agency, as well as a few local police departments.

The G37 is the first Glock to be made in Gen4, although it's not yet commercially available.

It may be a tad premature, but I think we're getting to a tipping point where the GAP is going to move to more general acceptance.

pmj
02-03-2010, 13:18
The fact that several LE agencies are now, or will be, using the GAP will have some influence on the non-LE side. Could possibly affect the LE side as well - depending on how it performs for those agencies that have it, or will be getting it. Also - budgets and Glock's willingness/ability to broker deals to entice other agencies to switch.

Who knows, there may be quite a few agencies out there that would transition to the GAP but are prohibited by costs of the logistics. Things such as their existing ammo supplies, changes required in equipment (holsters, mag carriers, etc) and time required for transitional training - armorer schools and classroom/range time for personnel.

I think another question to the equation is, to what extent will an increase in its' sales and use have to be in order to generate enough demand for ammo companies to affect their production schedules and quantities? One agency here supposedly has had problems with getting ammo from what I've heard - but there may be "more to the story."

The .357 Sig took a while but it's pretty solid. Although the GAP certainly isn't as prevalent, I feel it's pretty solid and its' popularity and acceptance will increase as well. Not by leaps and bounds, but it does appear to be showing an increase.

Then again, younger folks and old geezers like me that want to try something different will factor in. I'll opt out and blame my decision to finally get the GAP because of the positive comments I've read about it here at GT!

So - I don't think you're too premature with your prediction, but again, time will tell.

nako69
02-03-2010, 18:31
Hello Newb here not much expiernce but what I've read....
I think it's going to catch on with in a big way ..everyone likes the glock 9 series ...
to have a 45 in that grip is the best combo... the G39 I have on order.. I think will be
the best self defense gun one can own 6+1 with 10 round backup mags... 27 rounds of 45gap for carrying that's not bad...do that with a g36 in 45acp..dont think so..and i have the 30 sf in acp it's THICK to carry and heavy.

Jr.
02-05-2010, 07:25
I noticed every gun store I visit while on the road gives the cartridge a bad wrap. Then again those are the same people telling me that the .40S&W is too snappy. 9mm is for range use only and .45acp is for HD and SD.

9mmdude
02-05-2010, 07:35
Some of my GAP Ammo suppliers have had all of their GAP ammo purchased. You don't hear of too many GAP owners who give it up. It is here to stay and once FHP goes to it you will see another round of new GAP owners.

SGT45
02-05-2010, 23:16
Yes, slowly but surely. Most complaints I hear now are "I can't find ammo",
".45GAP is expensive" and blah, blah, blah. I happen to like the .45GAP. My PD did not go to them because they wanted .40's or .45ACP's. We chose the G21SF for patrol and the Admin and detectives were issued the G30SF (and no, we don't have any of those G30SF problems all over this site). I carry a
G39 off duty and a G38 once in a while on admin or special detail. As stated, I think when FHP and a few others go to the "GAP" it will just raise the bar. There are quite a few State and Local PD's that now issue the .45GAP pistols. I think they will be around awhile.

JCROWNII
02-06-2010, 16:03
I too have seen a difference in the popularity of the GAP. I see less GAP bashing in General Glocking forums and such. Also I can seem to find it everywhere now and I see alot of people talking about it and I just see a more prevalent presence of the GAP here on GT and even at the range.

EL COLONEL
02-06-2010, 22:37
NO.......................................:upeyes:

Cappi
02-07-2010, 22:16
I donno how much ground it's gaining..I hope enough that it doesn't disappear into obscurity ...
cause I just bought a 37 to go with my 38

I was a 45 auto "cult" guy...still am I reckon
cause I don't see me re-barreling any of my 1911s to gap
But I sure have a fondness and respect for gap too...it's a darn fine round

ammo isn't as easy to find locally and prices run in the .55 to .60 pr round range for target fodder.
But like others here, I roll my own for the range and factory self defense ammo is pretty much the same price as any other big bore cal

..L.T.A.

Dingus
02-08-2010, 04:15
More State Police Agencies use a G37 than use a G31. Worry about if the G31 is going to survive.

legacy38
02-08-2010, 07:51
GSP Troopers will pointedly correct you if you refer to them as "state police".

They do issue the G37 and G39.

hyJOEstatic SHOCK
02-13-2010, 17:30
2 other people have shot my 37 since purchase. This resulted in 2 more people picking up a 37 (that Buds Gun Shop price did help).

One of them, new to gun ownership, immediately joined GT & requested a # in the Bull Dawgs Club (more of a lurker @ this point) . It was his very first post so I assume that is why the # was not granted (all parties understand :thumbsup:). I mention this as it would have made for 12 joining in the past 5 weeks.

I think with everything already mentioned, & especially with the current pricing, the popularity WILL continue to grow.

MrGlock45
02-15-2010, 22:47
I've been a die hard 45ACP fan for going on 37 yrs. I currently own (3)G30SF's. I always carry 2 of them. In Dec. after doing a lot of research and a good bit of reading on here, I decided to trade in my G21SF (even the SF felt just a tad too big for my small hands,) on a NIB G38. Still in Dec. after shooting in only 1 range session, I went and picked up a 2nd NIB G38. In Jan. I picked up the G37 (who could resist Bud's spectacular pricing?)
I have to say that I now find myself carrying both of G38's equiped with a Lasermax uni green on 1, and the other has the CT LG-436 laser grips installed. I love these guns. I thought the G30SF's really fit my hand great until I held my first G38...all I can say is WOW!
I carry 2 spare G37 10 rd. mags for back up, and both the G38's are stoked with 200gr GD, with 9 rds +1. (This is the same load the PA state police carry.)
I an honestly say that I am really pleased with the carryabilaty, shootabilaty and soft recoil of the GAP rounds.
I went in to my LGS and checked out a G39, but I'm just not sure about the sub compact for me. Even with my small hands, I would need to add the Pearce base plate to give me a better preceived control of the gun while firing.
Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just pick up another G38 and forget the G39?
Good luck and always stay safe. :cool:

9mmdude
02-15-2010, 23:03
Get the G39 you will be happy you did! You can get a number of aftermarket extensions or a Glock +2 base and the G39 will fit your hand. The G39's are on Gunbroker right now for a great price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157891801

pmj
02-15-2010, 23:12
callmemister45 -

G39 - go for it. But to play it safe, if you haven't already, probably should shoot one first.

I have a 37 and 38 as well and have shot a 39. The 39 is a nice pistol and I didn't experience any controlability problems. Now I'm debating on either a 33 or 39. To make life easier, I'll probably get both.

Gold Dot - excellent choice on ammo!

DannyR
02-15-2010, 23:54
Proper grip on a G26/G27/G33/G39 is to curl your pinkie under the base of the magazine. It is very easy and controllable shooting with this grip.

Thx-1138
02-16-2010, 09:51
I went in to my LGS and checked out a G39, but I'm just not sure about the sub compact for me. Even with my small hands, I would need to add the Pearce base plate to give me a better preceived control of the gun while firing.
Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just pick up another G38 and forget the G39?

I carry a g39. I shoot better with standard mags than I do extended mags. My pinkie finger creates lateral movement on the grip when I pull the trigger.

I still have PG-39s on my extra mags, primarily because it makes them easier to grab on a reload.

tampashooters
02-17-2010, 11:09
From wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_police Looks like Vermont, they run on a county system.

In the United States, state police are a police body unique to each U.S. state, having statewide authority to conduct law enforcement activities and criminal investigations. In general, they perform functions outside the jurisdiction of the county sheriff (Vermont being a notable exception), such as enforcing traffic laws on state highways and interstate expressways, overseeing the security of the state capitol complex, protecting the governor, training new officers for local police forces too small to operate an academy, providing technological and scientific support services, and helping to coordinate multi-jurisdictional task force activity in serious or complicated cases in those states that grant full police powers statewide. A general trend has been to bring all of these agencies under a state Department of Public Safety. Additionally, they may serve under different state departments such as the Highway Patrol under the state Department of Transportation and the Marine patrol under the Department of Natural Resources. Twenty-three U.S. states use the term "State Police."

Ooops
http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/index.html

RichardinNC
02-18-2010, 16:44
I posted this on another thread but wondered what all of you thought.

"I'm also looking into the .45GAP since I started reading about it and asking questions of those with experience. Have been wondering now if the .45GAP hasn't hit a sort of "ballistic sweet spot" - sort of the way the .357 Mag revolver round did. What I mean is that intangible area where you know that the round performs better than is should on paper. Any thoughts on this? Up to this point was always a 9mm shooter."

Njanear
02-18-2010, 20:40
Well, I went and did it - got a new G37 from Bud's (no pics because everyone here has seen a plain black Glock before ;). Unfortunately, my FFL did not have any GAP ammo on hand - but I do have 4 boxes due in early next week (it will be next weekend before I have a chance to even think about the range).

Now to get some brass and dies, and see what loads I can work up. I think I am going to like this pistol. :)

Cappi
02-18-2010, 22:12
Now to get some brass and dies,.

I use my 45 auto dies

..L.T.A.

Maximus13
02-19-2010, 18:43
I've been a die hard 45ACP fan for going on 37 yrs. I currently own (3)G30SF's. I always carry 2 of them. In Dec. after doing a lot of research and a good bit of reading on here, I decided to trade in my G21SF (even the SF felt just a tad too big for my small hands,) on a NIB G38. Still in Dec. after shooting in only 1 range session, I went and picked up a 2nd NIB G38. In Jan. I picked up the G37 (who could resist Bud's spectacular pricing?)
I have to say that I now find myself carrying both of G38's equiped with a Lasermax uni green on 1, and the other has the CT LG-436 laser grips installed. I love these guns. I thought the G30SF's really fit my hand great until I held my first G38...all I can say is WOW!
I carry 2 spare G37 10 rd. mags for back up, and both the G38's are stoked with 200gr GD, with 9 rds +1. (This is the same load the PA state police carry.)
I an honestly say that I am really pleased with the carryabilaty, shootabilaty and soft recoil of the GAP rounds.

Get the 39 with a +1 mag. Best off duty gun Ive ever owned. and just throw an extra mag in your pocket.

MrGlock45
02-19-2010, 23:46
Thanks to all who responded +1 to getting a G39. I guess that will be my next one to pick up. I'll be sure to get the pinky ext. for them, I just like the way it feels in my hand better.
Just have to sell the LNIB G30SF with Glock Night Sights that I have listed in the classified section. I still love the G30SF and have 2 others and will not be getting rid of them.

dbarry
02-20-2010, 19:06
New to GAP - new to GT.

Just bought and shot a 37. Nice gun! Nice forum!

Tang419
02-21-2010, 01:14
Mt Airy, NC (AKA Mayberry) police dept is now using G37's too. Thats my Reason for switching to GAP. That way when I join, I am already familar with it.

Scamp
02-21-2010, 06:13

I use These (http://www.concealablecontrol.com/products.html) on all my sub-compacts.

hyJOEstatic SHOCK
02-21-2010, 13:37
Mt Airy, NC (AKA Mayberry) police dept is now using G37's too. Thats my Reason for switching to GAP. That way when I join, I am already familar with it.

This begs the question, what kind of round is in Fife's shirt pocket?

packinaglock
02-21-2010, 19:34
In the past five weeks, we've gotten ten eleven new members to the Bull Dawgs users group.

That's a much higher rate than we've seen in the past.

There are some good deals on GAP Glocks to be had out there; people are taking a chance on them, and after they shoot it, they tend to like it.

GAP threads are receiving less animosity in General Glocking and Carry Issues.

We've picked up another State Agency, as well as a few local police departments.

The G37 is the first Glock to be made in Gen4, although it's not yet commercially available.

It may be a tad premature, but I think we're getting to a tipping point where the GAP is going to move to more general acceptance.

I agree, I've been seeing quite a few GAP threads in General Glocking:cool:

JMag
02-21-2010, 20:23
It is not popular in my neck of the woods; yes, I've checked around.

One shop has had the same four boxes in the same spot for over a year (staff confirmed). They still have a ragged little label on the shelf identifying the ammo as .45 GAP NOT .45 ACP.

Of course, in your area things might be different.

engineer151515
02-21-2010, 20:41
<< Love my G-37. Since 2003.

Doesn't matter to me if it is popular or not.

legacy38
02-28-2010, 11:29

If that isn't a powerful sweeping endorsement then I just don't know what else would qualify.

Tang419
03-03-2010, 13:37
If that isn't a powerful sweeping endorsement then I just don't know what else would qualify.

I meant that to be funny and serious all at the same time.

I've always carried the sub's with the factory mags, but for my 39 I have a 37 mag to carry as backup.

Slug71
03-10-2010, 11:57
callmemister45 -

Now I'm debating on either a 33 or 39. To make life easier, I'll probably get both.

This is where im at now. :brickwall:

Trying to figure out which will be better in terms of recoil for the wife. My G36(ACP) is a bit much for her.

And gunbroker.com has a sweet deal on a G39 in OD.

pmj
03-10-2010, 21:19
Slug71:

Having shot both the 33 and 39, and if forced to pick just one, I'd probably go with the 39. I like the .357 Sig round and own several pistols in that caliber, among them a G31, but prefer launching .45 size rounds and am very happy with my 37 and 38.

The good thing, is that though it MAY be possible too have enough guns, I have found it IMPOSSIBLE to have too many! Soooo - I'm saving my pennies and nickels for both.

Regards,
Phil

Officer's Match
03-10-2010, 22:20
Hmm, what to choose, what to choose...:whistling:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/G39/IMG_0217.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/G39/IMG_0213.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/G39/IMG_0224.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/G39/IMG_0220.jpg

CPG19
03-10-2010, 22:37
Big Boreeeeee ~ I likey !

Slug71
03-11-2010, 10:23
98% sure i'll be getting the G39. :supergrin:

oISHUTupNrocKIo
03-15-2010, 21:16
I think its a great little load... I'll have to shoot my G39 before I state anything further :).

burgherdude
03-15-2010, 21:41
Just took possesion of my 37 today after a 10 day Kali wait period, the rest of free America doesn't have to deal with! Now it's off to the range! Whoohoo! At my local gun shop most of the talk I heard is that the round IS gaining in popularity.

Cultldr
03-15-2010, 22:20
Just took possesion of my 37 today after a 10 day Kali wait period, the rest of free America doesn't have to deal with! Now it's off to the range! Whoohoo! At my local gun shop most of the talk I heard is that the round IS gaining in popularity.

Congrats on your 37!

legacy38
03-20-2010, 23:39
I meant that to be funny and serious all at the same time.

I've always carried the sub's with the factory mags, but for my 39 I have a 37 mag to carry as backup.

I was being serious. We should get POST credit for watching The Andy Griffith Show.