How do you think im doing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you think im doing?

357sig glock
02-02-2010, 18:46
I dont get to the range much maybe once every 6-8 months but every time i go i get 8" groups out of 13 rounds with my g21 at a little over 18 yards. i would get tighter groups "maybe 4"-6"" but there are always 2 rounds a little out there on there own. it has fixed night sights, 3.5 lbs bar and a ss guide rod other then that its stock. i use wolf ammo, dont really breath right or try to hard when shooting :rofl: so what do you guys think?

swotivated
02-02-2010, 19:04
Go to the range more. It's fun!!!

W4CNG
02-02-2010, 22:15
+1 on get to the range more often. I shoot every other week or so, yes I have a range membership that let's me go to the head of the line when signing in. I also reload so quantity is not an issue. I shoot 5-7K rounds per year at just range time not including competetion. Get into IPSC or IDPA and go have fun shooting those disciplines. Both are different, but really fun. Lots of info here and at other sites on both types of shooting. Lastly, go get good training on shooting that gun for personal defense. There are lots of folks that do that in your neighborhood and nearby.

Maine1
02-02-2010, 23:16
dryfire practice at home. master SA/TC/SP with dry fire, from the draw.

Gallium
02-03-2010, 07:23
Focus on the fundamentals, especially sight alignment and trigger press.

Build on that.

'Drew

fredj338
02-03-2010, 13:43
It's tough to stay sharp if you only shoot twice a year. Dry fire practice at home will help a lot. Maybe a little coaching from a more exp shooter, 2nd opinions can be very helpful. Better ammo would too. With good ammo, I can shoot 2"-3" groups at 20yds w/ most any 45acp I have, even my buddies G21. With Blazer alum or Wolf, I'm lucky to get 6" groups.

357sig glock
02-06-2010, 12:09
ok i went back to the range yesterday and was able to tighten my 13rd groups to 6" with wolf ammo at 20 yards.

swotivated
02-06-2010, 17:15
That's some good improvement over 4 days ago. Keep it up dude.

357sig glock
02-06-2010, 18:24

That's some good improvement over 4 days ago. Keep it up dude.

swotivated
02-06-2010, 20:51
What's up with the avatar pic? What do you do for a living?

357sig glock
02-06-2010, 23:56
its the cover of one of my good friends books. "minus the name"

im retired but i do private security and financial consulting when it comes my way.
What's up with the avatar pic? What do you do for a living?

riddleofsteel
02-07-2010, 07:48
Keep in mind that defensive shooting is like doing math. It is not enough to just get the right answer. You must be able to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

When I used to show my extra tight targets to my shooting coach he just said; "You are spending too much time aiming."

Front sight, press trigger, repeat.

357sig glock
02-07-2010, 14:30
i couldnt agree more. my shots are 1 per sec per range rules. at a different range they allow controlled rapid fire and i can put a fist size group at 7 yard as fast as i can pull the trigger. ill have to make the drive to that range and see what i can do at 20 and 25 yards.

Keep in mind that defensive shooting is like doing math. It is not enough to just get the right answer. You must be able to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

When I used to show my extra tight targets to my shooting coach he just said; "You are spending too much time aiming."

swotivated
02-07-2010, 21:00
Ya get away from the ranges that force you into a totally unrealistic shooting environment. Who knows, in a real life situation you'll likely revert to how you've been trained. If your training is the 'one shot per second' deal, God help you.

Additionally, drawing from your holster is a must if you're not doing it already. Shooting on the move and in 'unconventional' positions is also highly advisable.

Then again, I'm assuming you're training for CCW or home defense...

riddleofsteel
02-07-2010, 22:04
Don't forget force on force training using airsoft pistols. It's never the same until someone is shooting back.

force on force airsoft training has changed my entire training routine and given me ten times the trigger time.

ChuteTheMall
02-07-2010, 22:17
Sounds like you know how to shoot, but lack opportunities. BTDT.

Practice dryfire & airsoft at home, especially from the concealed holster and while exploding off the X. Multiple targets. Get smooth at it, speed will evolve.

If possible, try force on force. Pretty hard to find, however.

Maybe once per year or so you could travel somewhere that you could shoot realistically, with dynamic movement as fast as you want.

Or better still, a quality training class.:cool:

Here's something in Florida this month, if you're ready:

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/february27-282010-forceonforcegunfighting-crestviewfl.aspx

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/february262010-introductiontodefensivepistol-crestviewfl.aspx

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/february26-282010-bothclassesincrestviewfl.aspx

fredj338
02-08-2010, 23:10

When I used to show my extra tight targets to my shooting coach he just said; "You are spending too much time aiming." He probably can't shoot small groups.
That's funny. There is a place in training for both speed & accuracy. If the best yo ucan do is 8" @ 20yds slow fire, your training/skill is lacking. On the other end, if you can't get good controlled pairs to COM at 7yds in under 2sec from a holster, your training/skill is lacking. It's a balancing act, you need both skill sets. You may only have a portion of a target to hit @ 20yds, a shoulder, leg, foot, it would certianly be nice if you could actually hit it.:dunno:
When I teach new shooters, they need to get a good handle on accurate slow shooting, it measures your ability to do the fundamental things you need for accurate fast shooting; grip, sights, trigger. Then once you are shooting decent groups at 7yds, then 10yds, then 15yds, now it;s time to speed up & try getting just COM hits quickly.