Need help with my AR-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my AR-15

KT2002
02-02-2010, 18:56
I am new to the AR-15 world but I am in the military so I have shot my share of weapons. I have been wanting one for a while so it is time to build my own. I have searched through post on this site but there is so much information. I am looking to build a regular AR15 to shoot maybe a few times a year. I am still undecided on whether to add a handle or not. What are the perks other than the obvious? Is it better to get one with a handle or flat top for sights? Are there any good magazines to get more information? Thanks.

MattS67
02-02-2010, 19:36
Most people don't run carry handles anymore. IMO flat top w/flip up sights is the way go to. This leaves a lot more options down the road in terms of optics.

pinkstog
02-02-2010, 20:59
Get the flat top, you can always purchase a carry handle add-on later if you so choose to.

lawman800
02-03-2010, 00:43
Unless you plan on humping in the field and lugging your rifle by its handle, you will never use it in a non-military setting.

Flat top with backup iron sights and optics, you can buy a picatinny mounted handle if you really want to.

m814
02-06-2010, 15:44
Unless you plan on humping in the field and lugging your rifle by its handle, you will never use it in a non-military setting.

Flat top with backup iron sights and optics, you can buy a picatinny mounted handle if you really want to.

Flat top with BUIS is what most go with. I was in the military for 9 years, never once carried my m16 by the so called "carry handle".

LA_357SIG
02-09-2010, 22:06
I go with a detachable carry handle on my .22 AR15 mostly b/c it "looks" right. And I use the .22 for fundamentals and actual marksmanship training. I also like shooting iron sights and the flat top/buis profile looks wierd. (without an optic)

In other words, get the flat top and a removable carry handle so you have an option if you want to add optics later.

mvician
02-10-2010, 00:51
You've got questions........we've got answers. :wavey:

Flinter
02-10-2010, 09:45

That's a big no-no in today's military. You carry ready to use it and it's been this way since at least the late 80s.

As to the OPs question. The flat top is the way to go. Gives you much more options if you ever decide you want them.