Kimber mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber mags

flynlead
02-02-2010, 21:01
I going to buy more mags for my Kimber. Question is: should I get Kimber mags or another brand. Never had any issues with the Kimber mag but have heard some of you have.
This is what I found locally so far:

Kimber mags $17
Chip McCormick $23

sns3guppy
02-02-2010, 21:36
I like Chip McCormick, but I've had no problems at all with Kimber mags.

4GLOCKER
02-02-2010, 21:41
Wilson 47D.

flynlead
02-02-2010, 21:45
Wilson 47D.

I've heard a lot of people mention the wilson 47d but what advantage does it have over the kimber mags?
The places I called today did not have any wilsons but I don't mind shopping elsewhere if they are that much better.

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
02-02-2010, 22:04
Kimber factory mags are pretty good. If you're not having issues I stick with em.

I have experiemented with WC 47D and CM as well and if you buy 1 of each you will be able to tell a craftsmanship difference right out of the box with these versus the factory mags. But all function fine.

flynlead
02-02-2010, 22:20
Kimber factory mags are pretty good. If you're not having issues I stick with em.

I have experiemented with WC 47D and CM as well and if you buy 1 of each you will be able to tell a craftsmanship difference right out of the box with these versus the factory mags. But all function fine.

Nope, have not had any issues with the Kimber mags and I think $17 is a fair price to pay for kimber mags. Just wanted to get some opinions before I go by 4 or 5 and wish I had bought something different.

Thanks

glock2740
02-03-2010, 06:46
Wilson or Tripp Cobra.

andy4731
02-03-2010, 07:47
The one Kimber mag that I have is the only mag that has run perfectly in my Kimber. The Night Hawk mags and the Wilson mags had some problems initially. However, they have run without ever a hiccup in my Colt. YMMV

hdbob
02-03-2010, 09:59
Thats what I would get.... Always hear bad of kimber mags, dont know... but ALWAYs hear good of kimber mags.... I would go with them... have the nylon followers and are just smooth.....

check budsgunshop.com or midway..

wilsoncombat.com has them..... the chips are good as well, but I think the wilsons are a tad better..

Wilson 47D.

Rinspeed
02-03-2010, 11:25
The KimPro Tac-Mags are made by Checkmate and they are very good quality. Not sure if they still do but Kimber was shipping a lower quality mag with the lower end guns and these aren't the greatest.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=34

CMG
02-03-2010, 12:18
I've used lots of brands, but in the 8-round .45 variety, I've come to prefer either Chip McCormick Power Mags or the Kimber Tac-Pro mags.

Wilson 47D is a good mag, but pricey.

Jason D
02-03-2010, 17:42
The KimPro Tac-Mags are made by Checkmate and they are very good quality. Not sure if they still do but Kimber was shipping a lower quality mag with the lower end guns and these aren't the greatest.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=34

I bought some of these several weeks back, and they look like very good magazines. I haven't got to try them out yet, but have never had any trouble with any other Kimber magazine.

Navitimer
02-03-2010, 19:00
Never had an issue with the stock Kimber mags, but my preference is the KimPros.

caseyimports
02-03-2010, 20:05
i have 3 kimbers, bought willsons and it james some times, the kimber mags never have. stick with kimber

4GLOCKER
02-03-2010, 21:49
I've heard a lot of people mention the wilson 47d but what advantage does it have over the kimber mags?
The places I called today did not have any wilsons but I don't mind shopping elsewhere if they are that much better.

They work. For a few dollars more, get a mag that your life can depend on.

okie
02-04-2010, 01:58
I've had 2 bad Kimber mags, my vote goes to Tripp Research or Wilson ETM:supergrin:

Line Rider
02-10-2010, 22:19
About two years ago I called Kimber looking for a dealer in my area. While talking with the customer service guy he told me that the factory mags where made in the Cezch Republic. He also told me the best thing to do was to replace them when I brought the gun.

PlasticGuy
02-11-2010, 09:09
I have been using Wilson 47d mags in all of my 1911's for several years now, without problems. My Kimber mags work well with fmj ammo, but not always with hollowpoints. The Wilson mags do a better job of keeping hollowpoints from nose-diving and causing malfunctions, and just generally feed smoother. I've seen bad mags from just about everybody else, but so far I've had 100% good luck with Wilson mags in all my 1911's, including 4 different Kimbers.

FLIPPER 348
02-11-2010, 09:17
Question is: should I get Kimber mags or another brand. Never had any issues with the Kimber mag but ....

....but what?? they work fine in your 1911 so get more

flynlead
02-11-2010, 16:46
....but what?? they work fine in your 1911 so get more

I did. bought 5 more--just wanted some opinions before I spent the money and found out later I should have made a different choice