My first 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first 1911?

Price
02-02-2010, 23:34
I am a bit of a youngster, only 23, my funds are usually limited so I began my arms with a pratical mindset. First a carry gun( CW45), then a hd shotgun(Mossberg Cruiser), then a full size (G21), then a black rifle (RR LAR-8). Finally I am ready for a 1911, I have always loved the 1911 and want to get started. I have thought maybe a para Big Hawg(I like the double stack capacity). Any suggestions from you all that know about 200 times what I do would be appreciated.

FireForged
02-02-2010, 23:40
I have always seen the 1911 as a trust worthy workhorse of a pistol. I am not into the fan like following of the "designer" type 1911 but rather the basic pistol. My only requirement in a 1911 is that it functions reliably with ball ammo. That being said, I like and own a basic springfield Mil-Spec and a Rock Island (base model).

If I had to choose one over the other I would pick the Springfield

CMG
02-03-2010, 00:36
Years of shooting the 1911-pattern guns has led me to a few decisions about what I like.

So, for me the basic gun is not my favorite, as I prefer a fitted beaver-tail. I also prefer a flat main-spring housing, long trigger plus a standard thumb safety and slide release.

It sounds like you are where I was many years ago, so I'd suggest you get a good basic 1911 (the Springfield Mil-Spec mentioned above is a good start) and learn for yourself what you like.

MacG22
02-03-2010, 09:11
Springfield Mil-Spec or STI Spartan are good initial offerings. Everyone here understands building your collection. If you can hold out a LITTLE longer and get a used Kimber Custom Carry (500ish used) you will not regret it. You may even be able to buy a used Colt series 70 in that price range, too, and that is an excellent find.

I do recommend buying used and getting something slightly better over buying something a new premium. 1911s don't even feel right until they're used a bit.

And when you get hooked on 1911s...and you WILL get hooked... it doesn't matter how many custom guns you own one day, you'll have that first one 25 years from now and still pull it down and polish it every now and again and be glad as hell you bought it.

up1911fan
02-03-2010, 09:36
Stay away from that double stack Para, or Para's in general. I too think a Springfield Mil-Spec would make an ideal first 1911.

ilgunguygt
02-03-2010, 09:45
Someone say it. I know everyone here wants to say it. If it doesnt get said the world may come to an end............

MacG22
02-03-2010, 11:12
Someone say it. I know everyone here wants to say it. If it doesnt get said the world may come to an end............

Just......can't....do.....it....

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
02-03-2010, 12:21

Dont buy a Taurus???? :tongueout:

IBreakStuff
02-03-2010, 12:27
I'm also looking for my first "true" 1911(had a star bm) How much does a mil spec go for these days?

txleapd
02-03-2010, 12:58
I am a bit of a youngster, only 23, my funds are usually limited so I began my arms with a pratical mindset. First a carry gun( CW45), then a hd shotgun(Mossberg Cruiser), then a full size (G21), then a black rifle (RR LAR-8). Finally I am ready for a 1911, I have always loved the 1911 and want to get started. I have thought maybe a para Big Hawg(I like the double stack capacity). Any suggestions from you all that know about 200 times what I do would be appreciated.

At 23, you already seem to be on the right path. I'll echo the suggestion for the Springfield Mil-Spec. I was fortunate enough to be able to afford an STI Trojan for my first 1911, but I would still love to eventually add a Springer to my collection. An STI Spartan would be a good pistol too, but I just don't like those adjustable sights.

ilgunguygt
02-03-2010, 13:03
Just......can't....do.....it....

Dont buy a Taurus???? :tongueout:
Finally! The tension has been relieved!
:rofl:

Price
02-03-2010, 13:06
No threat of me buying a taurus 1911, not a fan of anything taurus except maybe their revolvers.

TonyT
02-03-2010, 13:24
I shoot a Springfield Trophy Match and PO 14-45 Signature. Both have been excellent performers in terms of reliability and are extremely accurate. I only use them for the usual pistol games as I prefer a pistol without a thumb safety for defensive puposes.

txleapd
02-03-2010, 13:34
No threat of me buying a taurus 1911, not a fan of anything taurus except maybe their revolvers.

The smoothest revolver trigger that I have ever pulled was on a Taurus. For me they are like S&W's. I really like their revolvers, but not a big fan of their semi-autos.

nastytrigger
02-03-2010, 14:22
Another vote for Springfield. I have a Loaded. Great gun. I prefer it to the GI/Mil-Spec just because of the upgraded features (beavertail safety, Novaks, etc). I paid $600 for mine, but I think they're $100-$150 more now. Gunshops usually have some used Colts, Kimbers, Springers that are good choices.

Substance-P
02-03-2010, 18:01
Springfield Mil-Spec or STI Spartan are good initial offerings. Everyone here understands building your collection. If you can hold out a LITTLE longer and get a used Kimber Custom Carry (500ish used) you will not regret it. You may even be able to buy a used Colt series 70 in that price range, too, and that is an excellent find.

I do recommend buying used and getting something slightly better over buying something a new premium. 1911s don't even feel right until they're used a bit.

And when you get hooked on 1911s...and you WILL get hooked... it doesn't matter how many custom guns you own one day, you'll have that first one 25 years from now and still pull it down and polish it every now and again and be glad as hell you bought it.

+1...go used and you can get a lot more bang for your $. Be sure to get it from someone reputable and you'd be surprised what kind of value there is out there on the used market.

Recently, I've bought a couple of used Colts at a good price and they make great initial 1911s as they can be a terrific base gun for a future build once you know exactly what you want out of your 1911.