Loose Gas Piston? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loose Gas Piston?

BigNic
02-03-2010, 08:10
I shot 300+ flawless rounds through my WASR. While I was cleaning it, I noticed that there was some "play" between the Gas Piston and the Bolt Carrier.

Is the Piston supposed to have a slight "wiggle" on top of the Bolt Carrier? I never noticed this before. Is it normal to have some play, or should the Piston be rigid on top of the Carrier?

Gunnuts10mm
02-03-2010, 08:14
A little play is normal.

GIockGuy24
02-03-2010, 08:18
It is designed to have some play to prevent binding.

BigNic
02-03-2010, 08:22
Thanks very much for the replies. It is just a slight amount of play, but I never noticed it before, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem. Thanks again.

RWBlue
02-03-2010, 15:25
It is not designed to have a little play.

If you look at a non-rebuild rifle you will find that there is no play.

Will it be a problem? Probably not. My Yugos have a little play. My only question is why you didn't notice it before? Assuming it doesn't get worst after you shoot more....it is no big deal.

AustinTx
02-04-2010, 22:52
All the original bolt carrier-piston assemblies had a slight bit of play. I think it makes the piston self-aligning in the cylinder. Most all the AKs from Century (and others) have the US made piston welded to the bolt carrier. That's not correct and I got one enough out of line, that the gun couldn't function. I finally got the piston bent to line up with the cylinder bore and work properly. All the AK kit guns that I have seen, that were put together here have been welded like that.

CarlosC
02-05-2010, 06:24
Sorry RWBlue, I have to agree with AustinTX. The piston must have some play and should not be solidly fixed in the carrier. None of my original AKs (non-kits) were solidly fixed.

Mayhem like Me
02-05-2010, 07:40
Sorry RWBlue, I have to agree with AustinTX. The piston must have some play and should not be solidly fixed in the carrier. None of my original AKs (non-kits) were solidly fixed.

This is correct...
Seen a few REAL AK's they have a small amount of play.

zorkd
02-12-2010, 10:06
my type 56 has a little wiggle.