Need a Good Knife - Which One!? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need a Good Knife - Which One!?

polizei1
02-03-2010, 13:44
Hey guys, I searched around a bit, but I would like some more direct answers. In short, I may be deploying soon, and I want a better knife to take with me. Right now I carry a S&W Extreme Ops:

http://tacticalgungear.com/images/extreme-ops-sw50bs%5B1%5D.jpg

It's an ok-knife, but it's cheaply made and you can tell. It also tends to get dull very quick and the safety isn't strong at all. So, I need a new knife...one of quality.

Requirements:

1. Name brand, reputable company.

2. Must be a push-button auto

3. Must be sharp, and stay sharp relatively long

4. Has to be MEDIUM size. I don't want a small or large knife. This will be carried in my pocket. The blade cannot be longer than 3". I think that's the carry rule.

5. Must be right-hand/right pocket

6. Has to be black

7. Blade/knife has to be strong, I cannot have something cheap falling apart on me

8. It has to be a folding knife

The main use of this knife will be EDC, opening boxes, MRE's, or whatever I need. It also HAS to be capable of SD if needed. I've checked out some Benchmade's, but there is soooo many to choose from.

I heard Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Surefire are all good. I just need some opinions. Please, if you have a valid opinion, very well, but I'm looking for PERSONAL experience ONLY, preferably from military/LEO.

Now, price...I'm not too crazy on the price, as I'll probably be using it everyday, and when I get back, it will continue to be my EDC knife. I would like to keep it around or under $200.

Thanks,
-Cody

Hackett
02-03-2010, 14:08
You'll find a lot of people prefer certain brands.

My suggestion is to figure out what you'll use it for, what conditions it will be used in and select the type of steel you like that fits that purpose.

I personally do a lot of hiking in wet conditions and prefer AUS8 steel for is corrosion resistance and hardness without being brittle. I have been carrying a CRKT ABC Operator lately while hiking and am happy with it, but itis a bit large for everyday. For EDC I have used Gerbers (that come in boxes, not plastic), Spydercos, Kershaws, and Case knives which are all easily found and have been happy with them all.

That said, if you are wanting a knife that will last a long time, have minimal issues, you have a lot of good choices.

CRKT makes a knife called the Edgie that is self sharpening but the blade is not coated black.

Kershaw makes some great assisted openers.

kayakjax
02-03-2010, 20:59
The Spyderco Military would be a good choice. It's not an auto, but is one handed opening. I'd think it'd be more reliable than an auto in tough conditions.
The blade is also a little longer than you wanted, but this is what it was designed for.

length overall 9 1/2" (241 mm) blade length 4" (102 mm) blade steel CPM-S30V
length closed 5 1/2" (139 mm) cutting edge 3 11/16" (94 mm) weight 4.2 oz (120 g)
hole diameter 9/16" (14 mm) blade thickness 5/32" (4 mm) handle material G-10
A cornerstone in Spyderco's Save and Serve line up, the Military Model came about after someone asked Spyderco's owner Sal Glesser, "If your son were going into the military what folding knife would you send him with?" For certain, it had to meet the requirements of a high-performance, light-weight folder designed for hard use.

To create an even more subdued blade we have blackened the blade with a BodyCote black matte coating. Since the steel is the spirit of the knife, CPM-S30V seemed the logical choice for the blade given its reputation for long-term edge retention and rust resistance. The 'Millie' has a modified clip-point blade coated in non-reflective black then laser cut with a 14 mm Spyderco Round Hole for quick deployment and for use with gloves. Texturing above the hole hold the thumb in contact with the blade's spine during cutting for confident control over the sharpened edge. The handle scales are G-10 with the lock's liner nested (inlayed) directly into the scale, pumping up lock strength without the addition of bulky liners. Spacers between the scales create a gap running the handle's full length exposing the inside workings for inspection and cleaning. The handle flares slightly at the front end creating a finger choil and at the butt end, which keeps the knife from slipping forward or backward in the hand while sawing or making tough or aggressive cuts. A contoured black metal clip is set for right-hand tip-down carry.

Made in Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth

If you ABSOLUTELY need a smaller knife, they make a smaller version, called the Para Military, that has a 3 3/32" blade.

length overall 7 7/8" (200 mm) blade length 3 3/32" (81 mm) blade steel CPM-S30V
length closed 4 3/4" (121 mm) cutting edge 2 15/16" (75 mm) weight 3.75 oz (108 g)
hole diameter 9/16" (14 mm) blade thickness 5/32" (4 mm) handle material G-10
The most awaited mid-sized survival knife of 2004. When Spyderco initially introduced our Military Model critics claimed it too large and more knife than the average user needed. Likewise, fans enthusiastically heralded the knife's big performance attributes. We arrive at the question knife manufacturers often ask themselves, "How do we satisfy both worlds and create a mid-sized knife that acts, cuts and performs like a larger knife?" Our answer was the Para Military.

The PM is two-thirds the size of the original Military Model. Its flat-ground CPM-S30V blade stretches 3-3/32" long with the Spyderco Round Hole generously sized at 14mm for gloved or large hands. Furrowing above the hole presents a positioning spot for the thumb that's texture, keeping slipping to a minimum. Nested into the G-10 scale is a top-seated Heavy duty rated Compression Lock. By inlaying (nesting) the lock we increase its strength without adding thick and bulky liners. The handle expands at the front and back for advanced grip retention, eliminating forward or backward sliding. All steel and curved to keep it pinned in a pocket, the clip attaches for right-hande tip-down carry. The ultimate mid-sized survival knife.

Made in Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth

I think either would be a good choice for EDC wherever you go.

polizei1
02-04-2010, 06:35
Sweet thanks, I'll check it out!

-Cody

CAWDORRDL1
02-04-2010, 08:21
Good luck on your upcoming Deployment.

I have used the auto knives from Protech Knives, in particular the Tactical Response 3 model. (TR-3) I think that this will fit all of your criteria.

Another to look into is the Gerber/Emerson Alliance. No personal experience with this one, but if Emerson's name is on it, Which I own several of his knives, this one will also meet all of your requirements.

www.Protechknives.com

www.gerberstore.com

Hope this helps,
Roger

IMightBeWrong
02-04-2010, 08:27
Another vote of confidence for Spyderco. I'd also recommend looking into SOG, Benchmade, Columbia River, and even some Buck knives. Things made in the US are the way to go. S&W don't even make their own knives, they are all made in China with S&W slapped on them.

Legion Etrangere
02-04-2010, 10:44
If you go to the sand-box I would stay away from auto knives. They can clog with sand and not allow for a rapid presentation. There are double action autos on the market,but they are not cheap. They will open with a button or the often used thumb stud. Most really good double action knives are made buy custom knife makers. One I can think of is a guy named Gary Hicks out of Texas. Bob Kroft of Soldier of Fortune Magazine fame has carried one of Gary's double action autos all over the world. The knife must be 15-20 years old. Like a timex,still flicking:supergrin:. Hope this info helps.

Orion's Belt
02-04-2010, 10:52
If you're dead set on an auto, check out Microtech's line of knives. If you can go with a manual knife, the Spyderco Military is a good choice as previously mentioned. ETA: Emerson makes some quality manual folders as well.

daddysnapmuffins
02-04-2010, 15:32
+1 on the Spyderco Military/Paramilitary. If you are set on an auto, then Benchmade, Microtech, or Spyderco.

The Hawk
02-06-2010, 08:11
There are several very good companies out there making knives that have already been recommended. You asked for personal experience from LEO or military. As a retired LEO I can tell you that although the S&W knives look good, they are not the quality that you want. I bought a S&W knife for myself and my partner a few years ago thinking they would be good EDC knives. Wrong. I ending up returning them and now carry Spyderco, Cold Steel, and SOG.
I know you said you want auto open, but based on my experience, I would not go that route. I have a couple auto open knives but end up carrying the one handed opening models.
My son is in the Marines and is being deployed this year. I got him a Cold Steel AK-47 a couple years ago. He has gotten a lot of use out of that knife and probably will take it with him to Afghanistan.
Be careful out there and thank you for serving.

fingers
02-06-2010, 20:20
If you find a Benchmade you like, there is a 40% discount available to Military/LEO's.

Give them a call if you are interested:

BENCHMADE Knife Company
300 Beavercreek Drive, Oregon City, OR 97045
Address all inquiries about your order to BENCHMADE:
1-800.800.7427. Ask for Customer Service.

For Auto knives you need to send them a copy of your Mil ID

polizei1
02-07-2010, 18:08
Thanks everyone. As for right now, my deployment has been called off, but I would still like to get a good solid EDC knife. I'm looking more towards Benchmade right now because of the large selection and mainly the 40% off! Honestly I never knew there were so many good knife brands, it's really hard trying to pick even a brand, let a lone one particular knife.

And I have to say I'm not 100% on having an auto, as long as I can get a good spring-assist.

So, this brings a new question...which knife from the Public Safety lineup from Benchmade would you guys recommend? Based on my requirements minus the auto now. The length is important because I want to EDC the knife, color I want black, and what's everyones input on serrated vs. straight blade and tanto vs. regular rounded? I do have to say...after watching those "torture test" videos on the cold steel knives, they look pretty promising. Can anyone comment on Benchmade in regards to this? Are their knives sharp, etc. too?

Thanks,

-Cody

bambikilr
02-07-2010, 18:31
hate my S&W as well, sorry i'm not LEO, but...i wouldn't do an auto either, cold steel, gerber, for me, but if I could get 40% off Benchmade, I would look really hard at them...JMO...good luck & thank you for your service

Hawkwood
02-07-2010, 18:38
I've carried at Benchmade Auto-Stryker 950 for the last 10 years. Tanto blade, partial serrations. It's been in absolutely some of the worst parts of the world...and mostly because I have loaned it to friends as they deploy. Each time it comes back to me with a couple more scratches on the finish...but keeps on working like it was brand new.

There are only a handful of products I can honestly say I would trust with my life - and now the life of my friends. Benchmade is one of them, and I say that without hesitation or equivocation. Worth every penny.

frankmako
02-07-2010, 18:47
i carry the benchmade auto reflex. they make a small and a larger one. i carry the small one in my pocket, it should fit your specks.

bobcat21
02-08-2010, 10:47
Good luck on your upcoming Deployment.

I have used the auto knives from Protech Knives, in particular the Tactical Response 3 model. (TR-3) I think that this will fit all of your criteria.

www.Protechknives.com

Protech makes a great product. I carry a TR-2 daily.

polizei1
02-08-2010, 14:08
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Auto Stryker 9100 (9500 Mini as well). Can anyone comment? Good, bad? Should I look at something else?

http://www.benchmade.com/products/9100

Or, the AFO 9052? http://www.benchmade.com/products/9052

They all seem like good choices, and all cost the same. I can't decide!

Oh, I also need some good recommendations on a sharpener please!

-Cody

pm666
02-08-2010, 16:19
Hi guys - I need help too. One of my friend's sons is being deployed from the National Guard to Kuwait for a month and them to Iraq. He's pretty green. He doesn't have a knife and I want to buy him one. He says the blade can't be longer than 3 inches, but that's all I know. I don't know if he needs a folder or a fixed blade with a sheath. I know what I like in knives, but I really don't know what is good to have if you are in the military in Iraq. Side bar - we send our guys to Iraq and only allow a 3 inch blade - I don't understand. Tell me what I should get him, please.
I don't know what color - seems to me like you could easily lose a sand colored knife in the sand, but at the same time it camoflauge's in. I need really expert and really fast! Thanks in advance! Paul

polizei1
02-08-2010, 17:48
Uh, I don't think that 3" rule pertains to military. At least I don't think it does in the Marine Corps...we carry whatever the hell we want.

-Cody

pm666
02-08-2010, 17:58
Uh, I don't think that 3" rule pertains to military. At least I don't think it does in the Marine Corps...we carry whatever the hell we want. -Cody

Thank Goodness! I know for sure he is in the National Guard and I know he's being deployed to Kuwait and then Iraq. It what capacity I really don't know, but all he's been doing is military training. How the heck do you send someone to Iraq with a maximum 3 inch blade...that just frightens me. Any suggestions as to which knife to get him?

ScaryWoody
02-09-2010, 07:19
I have tried a lot of different knives and brands and have settled on Spyderco for just about everything. You won't go wrong with the Spydie Military/Police.

pm666
02-09-2010, 19:50
Yep, thanks Spyderco is good. The whole 3-inch blade thing got me hacked off anyway. I guess if it is more than 3 inches that take and give it back to him when he's at MOB or something. I just don't know how they know its' his and it seems like it could get lost very easily. So I got him a BenchMade Mini-Griptilian with an Axis Lock. It should be a good enough starter knife...I think it's 2.91 or 2.97 inch blade length.

chr_edw
02-11-2010, 07:14
I have carried that 9100 benchmade for about 5 years and love it.

Some how I have lost, but am sure it is around the house. I don't even want to buy anything else, I like it so much.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Auto Stryker 9100 (9500 Mini as well). Can anyone comment? Good, bad? Should I look at something else?

http://www.benchmade.com/products/9100

Or, the AFO 9052? http://www.benchmade.com/products/9052

They all seem like good choices, and all cost the same. I can't decide!

Oh, I also need some good recommendations on a sharpener please!

-Cody

polizei1
02-11-2010, 12:47
Awesome, thanks. I called Benchmade today and made sure I was able to purchase the knife. I think I'm going to go with the 9500 because it's smaller than the 9100. Comparing it to the two S&W's I currently have, I think the 9500 is what size I'm looking for. The 9052 and 9100 are just too big for daily "civilian" carry.

Overall, Benchmade gives out a 30% off discount to military, so my final price will be $143. Retail is $205. Now I just have to make sure I want to dump that much money on a knife... :whistling:

Thanks for all the insight!

-Cody

polizei1
02-11-2010, 14:14
Well, just put my order in! Now the waiting begins....I sure hope it's a good knife for that kind of money...I really hope I'm not going to be disappointed! After all, both my S&W's were under $50 for both.

-Cody

MattHappyTrails
02-11-2010, 22:13
S&W makes good guns. Their knives stink!
I carry a Kershaw lock blade designed by Ken Onion. The steel is S30V. It has assisted opening. The opening stud can be mounted on either side. The clip can be mounted top or bottom. I sharpen mine at @ 23 - 25 degrees. It keeps a good edge. I never use this knife to open boxes and only to pierce the edge of stuff like MRE's. This way it is always razor sharp if I need it for SD. What ever knife you get learn how to use it very well for SD. Knife SD is not the same now as taught in years past by the military.

tshadow6
02-12-2010, 20:31
Try to get an Aircrew Survival knife issued to you. The Air Force, Navy and Marines use them (I don't know if the Army uses them). They are an official military knife, so there should be no issue with your commanding officer.

syntaxerrorsix
02-13-2010, 15:57
If you're dead set on an auto, check out Microtech's line of knives. If you can go with a manual knife, the Spyderco Military is a good choice as previously mentioned. ETA: Emerson makes some quality manual folders as well.

He can't carry an auto as a member of the armed forces with a TO&E unit/MOS.

It may get overlooked at times but it is not allowed.

syntaxerrorsix
02-13-2010, 16:02
OP I highly suggest you consult your immediate leadership in regards to what you are and are not allowed to carry in your respective unit. Just because you can buy it doesn not mean you can carry it.

Combatcomm
02-13-2010, 17:54
Some Air force units are issuing out Bench made Presidio Auto Axis 5000sbk they hold up great are by far the sharpest out of the box knife I have ever had . I am sold on Bench made autos. It is 3 and standard issue for there. If you have to buy one you can with your military id and military email address and will run less that $170. I have never had an issue with a auto in my many trips to the sandbox. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Bench made # 11785<o:p></o:p>
Have a safe deployment !!!!!!!!<o:p></o:p>

Sportsfame18
02-13-2010, 18:08
microtechfor auto, and an emerson or zero tolerance for a quick hard use manual knife. What is your MOS? and do ulike it. im thinking of joining

polizei1
02-13-2010, 20:41
Looks like everyone isn't reading the whole thread, so let me clarify some things.

I ordered a Benchmade 9500SBK, it seems like it will fit my needs just fine, just waiting on it to arrive now! And I'm not sure what my unit/MOS or CoC has to do with anything, if that question is directed towards me. I'm reserve (MP), and they don't care what I carry during drill, nor active duty, nor deployment. And my deployment thus far has been called off.

Hope that helps clear things up!

-Cody

Sportsfame18
02-13-2010, 20:55
Looks like everyone isn't reading the whole thread, so let me clarify some things.

I ordered a Benchmade 9500SBK, it seems like it will fit my needs just fine, just waiting on it to arrive now! And I'm not sure what my unit/MOS or CoC has to do with anything, if that question is directed towards me. I'm reserve (MP), and they don't care what I carry during drill, nor active duty, nor deployment. And my deployment thus far has been called off.

-Cody

Asked about ur MOS because im 21 and thinking of joining

polizei1
02-13-2010, 21:23
Ah, if you have any question PM me. I would highly advise checking out www.leatherneck.com it's a great site for Marines and Poolees/wannabe's to get information about joining.

Best of luck!

-Cody

124JHP
02-13-2010, 22:55
Check the reviews on this knife, I just ordered one today.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0077114&type=pod&cmCat=homefeat&cm_re=Banner*Kershawknife*020510

syntaxerrorsix
02-14-2010, 09:08

-Cody
Your unit and COC have everything to do with it. A switchblade is deemed a "weapon" and you may not carry it concealed without express permission from your COC, (as in it's issued equipment or equivilant or allowed by SOP in writing.) The Army nor the Guard or any other branch of the military allows for concealed carry on post even with a CCW. Like I said, it may get overlooked but it is still not legal. I've seen people brought up for less. Just an FYI, feel free to do whatever it is your rank can afford.

polizei1
02-14-2010, 10:12
Ah, I understand what you're saying now. Thanks for the concern! Of my time in, we've actually been encouraged to carry knives with us, especially in the field. I guess the Marine Corps is just different. I've never had a problem with it, and I assume others haven't, since the majority I've ran into seem to carry as well.

Overall, the military wouldn't be the issue, since I'm reserve, I only attend drill 2 days a month. The civilian LEO's would be more of an issue, but I don't think that will be an issue either, even though the law in Ohio is vague. Everything and anything is considered a deadly weapon, and concealing is a felony.

-Cody

syntaxerrorsix
02-14-2010, 10:15
Ah, I understand what you're saying now. Thanks for the concern! Of my time in, we've actually been encouraged to carry knives with us, especially in the field. I guess the Marine Corps is just different. I've never had a problem with it, and I assume others haven't, since the majority I've ran into seem to carry as well.

Overall, the military wouldn't be the issue, since I'm reserve, I only attend drill 2 days a month. The civilian LEO's would be more of an issue, but I don't think that will be an issue either, even though the law in Ohio is vague. Everything and anything is considered a deadly weapon, and concealing is a felony.

-Cody
UCMJ is UCMJ

It's not just having a knife, it's having an automatic knife that is the concern. There are no legal discrepancies between the services. Just thought you should know. :wavey:

Liquid
02-15-2010, 18:13
for an auto id go with microtech. i have heard really good things about them. i do have 2 but i have never really used them so sadly i cant comment on them. thank you for you service