S&W Low Life [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W Low Life

cziv
02-03-2010, 15:41
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_05/b4165000370242.htm

Makes me sick. Their greed is insatiable. I owned 3, beautiful S&W's when they cost about $350'ish and look at the prices now - crazy! I can't afford to buy one now. Guys like this S&W big-shot (and some other company's too) and their greed is why we're paying through the nose. :steamed:

Zombie Steve
02-03-2010, 16:08
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_05/b4165000370242.htm

Makes me sick. Their greed is insatiable. I owned 3, beautiful S&W's when they cost about $350'ish and look at the prices now - crazy! I can't afford to buy one now. Guys like this S&W big-shot (and some other company's too) and their greed is why we're paying through the nose. :steamed:

You know of any other product where the prices stayed the same for the last 20 years?

Jon_R
02-03-2010, 16:25
You know of any other product where the prices stayed the same in the last 20 years?

Aren't houses about back to 20 year old prices. :tongueout:

If a company wants to bribe other governments I am not sure why the US Government or Tax payers should care. The US Government does it all the time with our tax dollars. We reward (bribe) other countries for doing what we want sometimes it is cheaper then doing it the other way of threating them and having to send an Air Craft Carrier off their coast..

Sometimes we just give them the bribe and they take it and don't do what we want or they said they would and we bribe them again..... North Korea is a good example.

watsoncb
02-03-2010, 19:37
Let me see, did I get this right? If we were to form a fake country / government and then solict a bid for S&W for firearms for our "palace guards". S&W will sell us S&W's are rock bottom prices and then give us part of the cash back?

The S&W executive must be a real "ding/dong" to try to sell in Africa. Maybe he watched the 2005 "Lord of War" movie and thought he could be Nicholas Cage?

Then again.... maybe S&W was just getting rid of their Sigmas.

FreeAmerican
02-03-2010, 20:35
If you have ever done any kind of contract work for Uncle Sam, the idea of the FBI going after these guys because they paid a kickback is insane. Nothing like having to go through as a subcontractor and hand over 20% for nothing.

And honstly, does it supprise anyone if a company has to lube the deal to get a contract in a third world country. I feel like the whole thing is waste of tax dollars.

SIGSAREBETTER
02-03-2010, 21:21
Anyone that does business even in Mexico (or Baltimore or DC) probably has to engage in similar behavior.

*shrugs*

And S&W pistols are priced competitively and often less than the competition, so I don't think there is much to complain about there. Doesn't each GLOCK cost like $88 to make?

Zombie Steve
02-03-2010, 21:54
Aren't houses about back to 20 year old prices. :tongueout:

...should move outa florida. :tongueout:

cziv
02-03-2010, 23:56
S&W pistols are priced competitively

They "used to be" what have you been smoking? I want some. :rofl:

SIGSAREBETTER
02-04-2010, 00:23
They "used to be" what have you been smoking? I want some. :rofl:

How do you figure?

*Lower cost Taurus and Charter Arms revolvers are closely priced to the higher quality S&Ws

*In the wee gun world, for the same mission, a J frame is nearly $100 cheaper than a mini GLOCK. An M&Pc is priced similarly. Same with the M&P versus it's GLOCK counterparts, and cheaper than it's SIG and HK counterparts.

ILikeFtLbs
02-07-2010, 22:52
What bothers me is that I can go buy an original pinned barrel S&W m 14 for under $400. A new one without the pinned barrel, with a cast hammer without the rebounding firing pin and with key lock will cost $1000. Are they kidding? The quality goes down, but the price goes up. That's the problem.

In my area, a glock 26 is about $500 new, but a j frame is $600. The 686 runs $800. I could have bought a new 686 in 2003 for $500. Sig 226s are going for $900. No way.

cziv
02-07-2010, 23:25
in 2000 the 686 cost me 359 plus tax

Retired Squid
02-12-2010, 20:13
What bothers me is that I can go buy an original pinned barrel S&W m 14 for under $400. A new one without the pinned barrel, with a cast hammer without the rebounding firing pin and with key lock will cost $1000. Are they kidding? The quality goes down, but the price goes up. That's the problem.

In my area, a glock 26 is about $500 new, but a j frame is $600. The 686 runs $800. I could have bought a new 686 in 2003 for $500. Sig 226s are going for $900. No way.Man you guys are being ripped off, I can buy a new S&W Bodyguard tomorrow for $450, maybe little less if I were to haggle, 642 for about the same, 22A for $225 and I bought one last spring for $200 that shoots like a laser. Had a couple of Taurus revolvers apart and found you get just what you pay for, they are crap with very poor service. Just ordered in Dec a new M 41 direct from S&W for under $800 delivered. I was told about 60 days for delivery and lt has been 47 days, hope they were right with the time guess. But with this globle warming has me holed up till things thaw and then dry out.

Your S&W has raised in price due I suspect to high wages & benifits.

cziv
02-12-2010, 20:40
You guys have made this thread into a how much does it cost thread, who can get a deal thread and a which gun is a btter deal thread.

It's about the corruption of corporate wh*res. Named was S&W chiefly.

Then the feds crashed the party. The FBI used the convention to round up 21 industry executives who allegedly fell for an undercover sting in which they agreed to pay illegal kickbacks to the defense minister of an African nation. In exchange, the small arms marketers thought they were securing the opportunity to sell millions of dollars in weapons and body armor. Unfortunately for them, they were transacting business with FBI operatives posing as middlemen, according to indictments unsealed by a federal judge in Washington. A 22nd suspect was picked up in Miami. "This is one case where what happens in Vegas didn't stay in Vegas," said Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer at a news conference.

One of the men arrested in Las Vegas was Amaro Goncalves, a vice-president of sales for Smith & Wesson (SWHC (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?symbol=SWHC)), the largest U.S. manufacturer of handguns. A federal grand jury alleged that Goncalves agreed to pay a 20% kickback to clinch the sale of 1,825 pistols for use by the presidential guard of the African government (the name of the nation is not revealed in the court filings).

We're paying through the nose for an S&W so this a**-hole can sell them to an African govt. and then kick them back 20% under the table.

That's $20 on every $100 of our S&W spent money we pay, going to sleaze, for cutting a large deal with S&W.

They can lower the price 20% here and boost sales for gosh sakes.

It just pissed me off okay?

G33
02-12-2010, 20:48
Who cares?
:tongueout:

cziv
02-12-2010, 21:18
Who cares?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue%20out.gif

I see you're waving a smilie with an American flag. YOU should care.

If you're too dumb to understand the way our country is being decimated by corporations and politicians who serve their interests, don't wave the flag.