Hiking with your personal weapon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with your personal weapon

reinerbs
02-03-2010, 18:44
being an avid hiker and living in northern california i have a lot of trails to choose from, but i've been googleing for a while now and still haven't found any clarification on if i'm allowed to carry during my hikes.
i know there's a thing about carrying in national forests, but any info you all may have will be of great interest.

BK63
02-06-2010, 20:36
It's kind of a grey area where I live that if you are in state forrest with a handgun it's evidence that you are hunting. In my state the only handgun you can legally hunt with is 22 and I don't carry a 22 when I'm hiking so I'm not too concerned about them accusing me of hunting with a 45. A lot of our state forrests have trails that a lot of people like to walk with their dogs. I also like to walk in the winter months when I can for exercise as I don't get much exercise in the winter. Some of these people are very irresponsible with their dogs and let them run loose and they are not supposed to. Some dogs are friendly and harmless and some like the pair of Rotweilers I encountered one day can easily kill you. I can't really give you advice on what to do legally or not, but if you are hiking in the woods some place, and need it and don't have it, you are going to be in deep doo doo. Just something to think about.

rich e
02-06-2010, 22:13
Kinda like the saying...I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....or....You can get out of jail but can't get out of the grave...

I'm not recommending anyone break the law,but concealed means concealed

rollem
02-06-2010, 22:31
I live in Norcal also. Well not as northern as you. I know they just passed a law about carrying in national parks. I know if its like 100yrds of the road you can shoot. so why would carrying be different. As for concealing I would stay away from. I sure it is strait illegal here in cali. But if they dont know they just dont know..lol.. Your call on that one. I'm gonna look up some info cause Im curious aswell. Where I live in the bay area and where I hike I dont dare to carry. Theres alot of gun haters and I dont want to get into it with them. But I do carry a nice knife...

In a nutshell:

You can carry a loaded handgun EVERYWHERE so long as it is not a prohibited area or prohibited way to carry the handgun. You can do this because you are not prevented from carrying a handgun/firearm. Only restricted as to the PLACE and METHOD and/or LOADED STATUS when that handgun/firearm is carried.

Prohibited areas are:

School zones
INcorporated areas
Restricted areas
National or State PARKS
Government buildings
Highways and roads
Inside a vehicle
NO GUNS or HUNTING posted areas of private property
Private property in areas which are open to public access (such as common areas of multi-dwelling residential property)

Prohibited methods of carry

ANYTHING which conceals the handgun is prohibited (except locked container to/from car/range/etc**)
ANY other method of carry except in a visible belt holster.

I do most of my shooting in the wild. We drive to a desolate area pull off on a oldfire road go a mile or so set up camp and bang. So if your hiking in a similar loocation outside of a incorparated area than it should be o.k.

Zombie Steve
03-05-2010, 23:18
Man, I love Colorado more and more with every CA thread I read...

:cool:

I suppose if I was there, I'd call the park service, the ranger's office... whatever. They will tell you the deal. Heck, if you're worried about it, have them email or fax you the rules and carry them with you.

kshutt
03-06-2010, 06:06
Man, I love Colorado more and more with every CA thread I read...

:cool:

I suppose if I was there, I'd call the park service, the ranger's office... whatever. They will tell you the deal. Heck, if you're worried about it, have them email or fax you the rules and carry them with you.

Steve,

If you love Colorado, you'd love Oklahoma. We're a lot more conservative than Colorado. There's absolutely no way I could live in CA, and I don't even want to visit there. Too many libs and gun haters for me. :cool:

rollem
03-07-2010, 13:48
Not all... There's pockets of cool people..

DaveCharlie09
03-07-2010, 13:55
I live in Vermont so I always carry while Hiking. You never know what could happen out in the Wilderness, always be prepared.:wavey:

Ak.Hiker
03-23-2010, 22:08
Not all... There's pockets of cool people..

I agree. We visited 2 years ago and found the locals to be very nice.

azatrox
03-24-2010, 19:58
G20 when I hike here in Az.

J. Parker
03-25-2010, 13:35
I agree. We visited 2 years ago and found the locals to be very nice.

California provided me a living for twenty years in the SF bay area. Can't complain about that. There's just to many people in California plain and simple. Moved to WA ST in '92 and love it.

CanyonMan
03-25-2010, 15:02
Deleted
CM

GVFlyer
03-25-2010, 23:41
Damn CanyonMan, I from a little South of you in Texas and your pictures are making me homesick.

This is the rig I take into the woods.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/006-7-1.jpg?t=1269582002

CanyonMan
03-26-2010, 11:35
Man, another won't post senerio???

CM

CanyonMan
03-26-2010, 11:45
Deleted

CanyonMan

GVFlyer
03-27-2010, 02:21
Nice looking rigs - I like the spurs, too.

I bet you're a Lucchese boot man, right?

CanyonMan
03-27-2010, 07:44
Deleted
CanyonMan

GVFlyer
03-29-2010, 20:39
Where south of Woodward, or even further west, 'Slapout' Okla. are you ?
We can reach out and touch Colo. Ks. N.M. and Tex pan from where the ranch is in Olka.
CanyonMan

That's a nice area of Oklahoma. We're from East of Waco - presently far from it.

CanyonMan
03-30-2010, 08:17
That's a nice area of Oklahoma. We're from East of Waco - presently far from it.

Yeh, your a looong way from this part of Okla. And your right, this is nice. In fact I think it is the greatest part of the state. Well, take care of that hogleg, and stay safe out there... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan