Genuine question about AR jams [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Genuine question about AR jams

jetdefiant
02-04-2010, 08:50
So I was thinking, there is the never ending debate about reliability of the AR platform and some claim that they are prone to jamming if dirty while others never have an issue.

This thread will NOT be a vs. thread!

My question is, for those people who have experienced jams. Most of the jam types that I have seen look quite easy to clear, like double feed, failure to fire, etc. These types of malfunctions seem to be easy to fix and get back into the fight. So my question is what kind of jams have you experienced that permanently took your AR out of commision (hopefully at the range and not in action).

Hedo1
02-04-2010, 09:10
So I was thinking, there is the never ending debate about reliability of the AR platform and some claim that they are prone to jamming if dirty while others never have an issue.

My question is, for those people who have experienced jams. Most of the jam types that I have seen look quite easy to clear, like double feed, failure to fire, etc. These types of malfunctions seem to be easy to fix and get back into the fight. So my question is what kind of jams have you experienced that permanently took your AR out of commision (hopefully at the range and not in action).

I have had a failure to extract due to an out of spec case that I handloaded. It wedged itself into the bore and I had to pull it out with a multi tool after breaking the rifle down.

Otherwise a few double feeds.

I find the AR platform pretty reliable. Keep mine pretty clean. I field strip it every 500-700 rounds.

TimP
02-04-2010, 09:48
I have seen a few round over bolt jams which take the gun down immediately. Then the only other type I have seen is where the extractor pulls the rim off the case and you have to knock out the spent case with a cleaning rod.

mavrick
02-04-2010, 12:24
I have seen a few round over bolt jams which take the gun down immediately. Then the only other type I have seen is where the extractor pulls the rim off the case and you have to knock out the spent case with a cleaning rod.

I agree.. those are two malfunctions that I've seen take a rifle off the line.. brass over bolt jam and spent cases that have to me manually removed..

mavrick

jetdefiant
02-04-2010, 12:30
Could someone explain the brass over bolt term? that's actually the first time I've heard of it.

mavrick
02-04-2010, 12:51
Brass over bolt is sort of a generic name to describe a malfunction called a bolt over-ride. In a nutshell what happens is a live round, or a piece of spent brass gets jammed up in the charging handle channel, above the bolt face, which usually results in the bolt being jammed to where it will no longer operate.

mavrick

JBJ16
02-04-2010, 12:53
Suppose you were in a firefight, sandy, dirt environment then someone strafes with automatic fire and you are forced to dive for cover unfortunately you land with your rifle right-side (ejection port side) into the dirt when diving for cover. Ejection port cover is wide open at that moment.

IMHO this video may simulate the above scenario . . . you may or may not agree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

Oooops, sorry OP was asking about AR jams.

K. Foster
02-04-2010, 14:12
Brass over bolt is sort of a generic name to describe a malfunction called a bolt over-ride. In a nutshell what happens is a live round, or a piece of spent brass gets jammed up in the charging handle channel, above the bolt face, which usually results in the bolt being jammed to where it will no longer operate.

Excellent description.
To clear this, you may be able to move the bolt to the rear with your thumb or the corner of a magazine. It is easier to pry the bolt back with a multi-tool or the spine of a fixed bladed knife. This is one reason I always have a Ka-Bar TDI on my chest harness.
Iíve seen this malfunction occur several times but never with quality mags.

thisaway
02-04-2010, 14:43
I was using some 1970s-vintage 5.56 ammo in a .223-chambered AR and had a round stick in the chamber. When the charging handle was retracted, the case came out, leaving the bullet behind, stuck in the rifling. All the powder spilled out of the case into tha action and lower receiver. I had to dismantle the rifle and use a cleaning rod through the bore to knock the stuck bullet out, then use aerosol gun cleaner to clean all the spilled powder out of the rifle.

faawrenchbndr
02-04-2010, 15:51
Suppose you were in a firefight, sandy, dirt environment then someone strafes with automatic fire and you are forced to dive for cover unfortunately you land with your rifle right-side (ejection port side) into the dirt when diving for cover. Ejection port cover is wide open at that moment.

IMHO this video may simulate the above scenario . . . you may or may not agree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

Oooops, sorry OP was asking about AR jams.

What if you land on the other side, no dirt gets in, but,
just then a C130 crash lands into your fox hole? :dunno:

NeverMore1701
02-04-2010, 16:24

Well, if there happens to be a treadmill nearby, you'll be fine, as everyone knows it would counteract all motion made by the plane.

RMTactical
02-04-2010, 19:01
AR15's are very easy to maintain. People who struggle with them don't tend to be very gun savvy in my experience, or they have a poor quality AR15.

Buy a quality gun and keep it well lubed and you will be happy.

AK_Stick
02-04-2010, 19:47

The only failure I've seen completely dead line a gun, that was not the shooters fault (i.e. bad reloads) was a broken bolt. And that happens if you shoot enough, but is fairly uncommon.

Most common is a double feed, or sticking in a dirty chamber.

RWBlue
02-04-2010, 21:36
Currently have a Wolf steel case stuck in one of my ARs. I don't have the full story at this point, but the casing is not coming out. The extractor slipped over the casing, but that is not the problem.

I was blowing out primers with a certain reload, on a hot day. Those primers would find their way to interesting locations. I don't think I ever had a FTFeed, or FTExtract, but I know I had a FTFire and a FTLoad.

I saw a kaboom with Georgia Arms ammo one day. It blew the guts out of the mag. It locked up the gun. I told the guy to take it to a smith to remove the barrel.... I don't know the outcome.

My subsonic reloads did interesting things. If there is a way to lock up an AR, this is the load to use.

One more item, a made a new build, I had new mags, there were failures to load. Once I broke the mags in, by using them one or two time, all the mags worked better.

kgain673
02-04-2010, 21:38
I've had more jams out of my AK variant then my AR builds. Just had to add my two cents.

CatsMeow
02-04-2010, 22:02
The only failures I had were either magazine-related (sold them to a friend, they worked perfectly for him:dunno:) or something that turned my rifle into a self-ejecting straight pull, put in the old buffer and it went away.

RWBlue
02-04-2010, 22:36
One more
Federal premium match 223 didn't have enough power to cycle one AR. I think most would, eject, but...

JBJ16
02-06-2010, 09:41

Then you can spread your legs apart, bend forward and kiss your a** goodbye:tongueout:

Kentak
02-06-2010, 09:53
I had some various types of failures early on with my Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine. The worst jam was from a loose primer than froze the action so badly I sent it to Bushy for the fix.

For whatever reason, those early problems quickly faded away, and it's been great. Probably, new gun break-in syndrome. I've learned to stay away from weird ammo, I don't shoot steel case, and I run it wetter than I used to. My experience has been that consistent lube is more important than spotless clean.

LEAD
02-06-2010, 10:13
I've had more jams out of my AK variant then my AR builds. Just had to add my two cents.

So on topic, what jams have you had with your ARs

1811guy
02-06-2010, 10:23
Most AR malfunctions I have seen were ammo related. Poor quality ammo will kill any high quality weapon. In my case it was remanufactured ammo loaded weak. I had several that short stroked. Case was ejected and did not feed the next round, or case was partially ejected and stove piped. Both very easy fixes. The one that wasn't was a primer that popped out of the pocket after firing and ended up under the sear. This resulted in not being able to pull the trigger at all. After field stripping and giving it a whack on the side a few times, the gun was back in action.

Quality gun, quality ammo, and routine maintainence will keep an AR running reliably for a very long time.

madcitycop
02-06-2010, 15:15
To get back in the fight? Once my rifle jams I immediately transition to my pistol and shoot my way to cover if im not already. Then a quick SPORTS and determine if I have to sling my rifle or not.

jetdefiant
02-06-2010, 17:32
I may have the oddest malfunction yet...

Out of all the ARs ive owned or shot, only one has had any issue at all.

One time while firing my brother's DPMS, i felt a click, checked the chamber and my jaw pretty much dropped. Somehow (I do not see how this is physically possible) the spent round ended up BACK in the magazine and got stuck. Now for those of us who know the AR like the back of our hands and how every piece in the bolt works, I just do not see how this could have happened. Only happened once. If anyone else has ever had this happen I'd be interested to hear about it, so far thats the only time I've ever witnessed it.

kgain673
02-06-2010, 19:25
So on topic, what jams have you had with your ARs

as a result of shooting wolf and not cleaning the chamber after multiple trips to the range, only took one time to learn my lesson

JBJ16
02-10-2010, 04:08
Primer lodged inside the barrel extension "teeth". Needed a "toothpick" to pry it out. That's why I always have my SwissKnife with me.:cool:

Six Feet Under
02-11-2010, 23:58
I haven't had any problems with mine except for two bad mags. They consistently would not feed with any type of ammunition, in any condition, so I marked them and threw 'em at the bottom of the box of mags in my closet.

I've cleaned it once in around/just over 1,000 rounds.

ArmoryDoc
02-12-2010, 00:31
No jams have permanently taken mine out. I've had a couple of bolt overs due to bad mags but that's isn't bad in 25 years of shooting the AR. Easliy cleared and back in service within seconds.

internal
02-12-2010, 14:58
When I first got int AR's I had a bushmaster that was short stroking due to loose carrier key screws.

Believe it or not my buddies BCM all of a sudden had fail to eject issues but by swapping BCG's the issue was resolved.

Honestly, there's not alot of issues that can't be taken care of on the spot by just simply swapping BCG's.

The worst AR jams are when a spent piece of brass gets wedged between the charging handle and bolt.