How many 1st Gen Glock 19s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many 1st Gen Glock 19s?

yukiginger
02-04-2010, 11:54
So, I have a DN prefix Glock 19. I bought it used probably in 1990 or 1991, thereabouts. It has little collector value, I'm sure, since I had the grip reshaped and I also refinished the slide myself with a bake-on finish, plus I still shoot the thing regularly.

Still, I am curious as to how early my 19 is. My serial number is under 500 so I was wondering how relatively low the number is - which means I need an idea of how many DNs there are.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

MarkG

MakeMineA10mm
02-04-2010, 15:14
It was in the shipment of the first 1000 G-19s ever imported into the US. The Glock Serial Number Research thread is at the link below:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093#post4622166

Yours is actually a 2nd generation pistol. There were only a few - approximately a half-dozen to 10 first-generation G-19s which were basically prototypes.

yukiginger
02-05-2010, 09:26
It was in the shipment of the first 1000 G-19s ever imported into the US. The Glock Serial Number Research thread is at the link below:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093#post4622166

Yours is actually a 2nd generation pistol. There were only a few - approximately a half-dozen to 10 first-generation G-19s which were basically prototypes.

MakeMine, thank you. I did find the serial number thread prior to my posting. Here is the section pertaining to my DN prefix and the one following. Am I reading it wrong or is it incorrect? Mine is a DN prefix.

DN - G-19 - March 1988 - 1st Gen. - First G-19s imported
DP - G-19 - March 1988 - 2nd Gen.

Thanks.

MarkG

MakeMineA10mm
02-05-2010, 15:40
All the information in that thread is self-reported. We don't require photos and merely hope for the adequate knowledge and cooperation of the submitter of the information to take the time to make himself aware of the differences between the different factors which are reported.

I assure you, there was no production run of First Generation G-19s. The half-dozen or so prototypes are HIGHLY sought-after collector's pieces. If you want, either post a picture here or send me a photo of your G-19 and I'll verify what generation it is.

MakeMineA10mm@hotmail.com

SCC
02-06-2010, 14:55
http://i45.tinypic.com/2gvsjti.jpg

yukiginger
02-06-2010, 18:38
I appreciate all the help here. I remember contacting Glock years ago about the gun and their reply was that is was from the first batch to enter the country, but at the time I didn't understand the "Generation" issue.

This image posted earlier really helps, and I've seen it before. I can't remember how my grip was before I had it reworked, so the grip difference really doesn't help me. I do think mine has the "darker" serial number strip on the frame. Is this strip smaller in dimension than those on the later generations? Anything else I can look at to tell? Here's an attached image.

Thanks.

MarkG

MakeMineA10mm
02-07-2010, 22:27
Holy Meltdown, Batman! Now I know what you meant in your first post about "having little or no collector value..."!!!

With that grip "enhancement" job done, we will never know if yours was one of the first half-dozen... Even if there was a way to tell, I'd say no collector interest whatsoever, since it is SO different from the way it left Glock.

How much did that grip mod cost?

yukiginger
02-08-2010, 13:40
Like I said... just for curiosity's sake I'd like to know. Perhaps I will call Glock and see if they could give me any more...

Thanks again for your help. And any potential value issue doesn't mean much to me, as Glocks all point very high for me, and without the grip reduction and reshaping it would not fit me well enough to be used by me, so NO regrets!! Arizona Response Systems is the one that did the work - still in business I believe. I think it ran me $125 back then.

MarkG

Preston1026
02-14-2011, 19:07
MakeMine, thank you. I did find the serial number thread prior to my posting. Here is the section pertaining to my DN prefix and the one following. Am I reading it wrong or is it incorrect? Mine is a DN prefix.

DN - G-19 - March 1988 - 1st Gen. - First G-19s imported
DP - G-19 - March 1988 - 2nd Gen.

Thanks.

MarkG

I have a DN glock 19 and it's at the end of the first 1,000 imported gen 2's.

DannyR
02-15-2011, 08:49
As I understand it, the dozen or so Gen1 G19 prototypes had unique serial numbers quite different from production serial numbers. Production began in 1988 after the introduction of the Gen2 frame.

madcapmagician
02-15-2011, 11:33
That would be a 2nd gen. Look at the dustcover. The 1st Gen 19s I've seen don't pinch in as much under the slide/if at all.

17L1
02-16-2011, 02:55
As I understand it, the dozen or so Gen1 G19 prototypes had unique serial numbers quite different from production serial numbers. Production began in 1988 after the introduction of the Gen2 frame.

The serial number on my 1st gen 19 is ANxxx. Similar to 1st gen 17 numbers.