Doing a CQB Fun Competition. Gear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Doing a CQB Fun Competition. Gear?

BigDaddyK
02-04-2010, 12:41
So our local range has USPSA and CQB matches once a month respectively. I've got an M&P15T with a foregrip, 2pt sling, and eotech 512. I'm using regular GI mags but I need some way to secure them. I was thinking about getting this
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/MOLLE-256.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MOLLE-256_A.jpg

And then use these

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MOLLE-025.jpg

Now this is just going to be fun for me and to better my rifle skills. Will this hold up and be ok you think? Are there any better mag pouches available reasonably priced?

Any other tips are welcome too. Thanks.

BigDaddyK
02-04-2010, 12:43
Forgot to add. The vest is only $20 and the mag pouches are $30.

Hedo1
02-04-2010, 12:51
Bid Daddy,

Would you mind posting the place where you got that chest rig and mag pouch. Kinda what I am looking for myself.

Have you shot CQB with the AR before? I just did a close range match this past Saturday in PA. Started at 3 yds, ended at 50yds. Loads of fun with the AR.

BigDaddyK
02-04-2010, 13:01
I found them at cheaperthandirt.com This will be my first time doing anything other than bench shooting and .22lr plinking. I can't wait.

JASV.17
02-04-2010, 13:32
I just did a close range match this past Saturday in PA. Started at 3 yds, ended at 50yds. Loads of fun with the AR.

Where in PA was this shoot?

vafish
02-04-2010, 13:33
It's cheap and from Cheaper Than Dirt so it's probably pretty low quality.

But for the price I don't think you'll find much cheaper.

K. Foster
02-04-2010, 13:41
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. As long as you understand that you aren’t getting top of the line gear, you should be fine. For beginning competition or training, that will be OK.
Here’s a site has a good selection of gear.
http://www.optactical.com/optopmapo.html

Hope this helps.

Hedo1
02-04-2010, 14:06
Where in PA was this shoot?

It was a practical rifle match at Langhorne Rod and Gun club in Bucks County. Twice a year they do a short course match that starts at 3 yds. and progresses back to 50y. Various positions, multiple targets, lot's of fun.

The rifle matches are held the last day of each month.

Hedo1
02-04-2010, 14:10
I found them at cheaperthandirt.com This will be my first time doing anything other than bench shooting and .22lr plinking. I can't wait.

Thanks.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. Good luck.

Here's a pointer from an RSO you might find helpful for your first match. Do a push pull check of your magazine when you reload. In other words slam it in and give it a little pull to make sure it's seated. Can't tell you how many times I've seen new, and experienced, shooters, not seat the magazine properly and have it fall out during the match. I speak from first hand experience unfortunately :crying:

RossBotha
02-05-2010, 10:07
www.lakotacorp.com (http://www.lakotacorp.com)

KalashniKEV
02-05-2010, 10:18
That vest looks really junky, but for $20 it's like a roadguard vest with MOLLE.

I don't recommend any cheap gear, but if you could scrape together an extra $40, MOLLE-755 looks like a better cheap vest. It's a copy of the Scalable Plate Carrier (SPC).

Hedo1
02-05-2010, 10:25
That vest looks really junky, but for $20 it's like a roadguard vest with MOLLE.

I don't recommend any cheap gear, but if you could scrape together an extra $40, MOLLE-755 looks like a better cheap vest. It's a copy of the Scalable Plate Carrier (SPC).

I already have a high quality vest I use for competition. I was looking for a spare to lend to non shooting friends who want to give it a try. Thx.

Jon_R
02-05-2010, 10:42
I am not sure what type of competition this is but I am a USPSA 3-Gun Match Director and non of my shooters wear vests. They are considered slow and we don't need to carry that many mags to warrant a vest. We all just use a pouch or two on the belt to hold a couple mags. Stages are generally 40 rounds so 30 in the rifle 30 on the belt and an emergency mag in case something goes wrong is all we ever need.

Since you shot a match where most of the shooters using vests?

I use these belt pouches. Mine are for M1A so they are tight for my M1A and looser for my AR but still holds them well enough they don't fall out.

http://www.3gungear.com/Pages/3_rifle.html

CW Mock
02-05-2010, 11:16
Bid Daddy,

Would you mind posting the place where you got that chest rig and mag pouch. Kinda what I am looking for myself.

Have you shot CQB with the AR before? I just did a close range match this past Saturday in PA. Started at 3 yds, ended at 50yds. Loads of fun with the AR.

CQB is fun with an AR. Not so much with an M-14. :supergrin:

Hedo1
02-05-2010, 11:43
I am not sure what type of competition this is but I am a USPSA 3-Gun Match Director and non of my shooters wear vests. They are considered slow and we don't need to carry that many mags to warrant a vest. We all just use a pouch or two on the belt to hold a couple mags. Stages are generally 40 rounds so 30 in the rifle 30 on the belt and an emergency mag in case something goes wrong is all we ever need.

Since you shot a match where most of the shooters using vests?

I use these belt pouches. Mine are for M1A so they are tight for my M1A and looser for my AR but still holds them well enough they don't fall out.

http://www.3gungear.com/Pages/3_rifle.html

Jon

I've been participating in practical rifle matches held at our local club. They often feature a lot of mag changes to stress and challenge the shooter. The vest or a chest rig, in my situation, is more practical since some of the shots are taken from roll over prone around cover. They usually down load the magazines to force more frequent mag changes.

Don't know if this type of match is specific to my area or not but they are a lot of fun.

ronin.45
02-05-2010, 13:44
I bought a blackhawk belt and double mag pouch for rifle competition. I like it better than a vest. Just my preference.

Jon_R
02-05-2010, 13:46
Jon

I've been participating in practical rifle matches held at our local club. They often feature a lot of mag changes to stress and challenge the shooter. The vest or a chest rig, in my situation, is more practical since some of the shots are taken from roll over prone around cover. They usually down load the magazines to force more frequent mag changes.

Don't know if this type of match is specific to my area or not but they are a lot of fun.

Cool. Sounds like fun. Enjoy it.

RM
02-05-2010, 16:22
CQB is a specific battle doctrine, and potentially one of the most often used, not understood terms in the shooting world.

Are you banging or fragging rooms, doing dynamic room team entrys, conducting various methods of breaching, expected to give anchoring shots all the while conduct precision shooting?

BigDaddyK
02-05-2010, 16:49
I'll be shooting around between barriers, different shooting positions and things like that. The guy said there is one 60 shot round and 10 six shot rounds. I was thinking about getting a belt with some mag pouches. Was also thinking about borrowing a buddies USMC gear.

I'll guess I'll just go see what everyone else has then adapt from there.

Six Feet Under
02-05-2010, 19:09
I run an Eagle/SKD universal chest rig for my AR. I love it.

TimP
02-05-2010, 22:40
just for the record, top level competitors don't use chest rigs to compete with ;)

BigDaddyK
02-06-2010, 04:02
just for the record, top level competitors don't use chest rigs to compete with ;)

What do you suggest TimP? Just a belt with some mag pouches?

BEER
02-06-2010, 04:55
can these competitions be run with the .22lr ar's , or with an ar equipped with a .22lr conversions kit?

Jon_R
02-06-2010, 06:49
can these competitions be run with the .22lr ar's , or with an ar equipped with a .22lr conversions kit?

In my matches I created a rimfire division and they compete in the same COF but are scored against other rimfire shooters.

I started it when primers and ammo where drying up and it was successful we got some shooters we would not otherwise have.

Hoser
02-06-2010, 09:37
What do you suggest TimP? Just a belt with some mag pouches?

That is all you need.

BEER
02-06-2010, 12:29
In my matches I created a rimfire division and they compete in the same COF but are scored against other rimfire shooters.

is there a particular reason why they're not scored along with the centerfire shooters? do the rimfire shooters have some sort of advantage against their centerfire counterparts like speed on target due to lack of recoil or something?

Jon_R
02-06-2010, 12:48
is there a particular reason why they're not scored along with the centerfire shooters? do the rimfire shooters have some sort of advantage against their centerfire counterparts like speed on target due to lack of recoil or something?

Yes they have some advantage in regards to recoil but the biggest advantage is the shotgun stages. You can reload a .22 pistol a lot faster then a 12 gauge. On the shotgun stages they use a .22 pistol and also can not shoot at any clay I put out. Clay is for shotgun only. For my matches I run USPSA 3-Gun (Open, Tactical, Limited, He-Man) scored together. Then I score the other groups lumped together (Pistol Only, Rimfire 2-Gun, Pistol Caliber Carbine Only).

akgunnut
02-07-2010, 00:37
I want to try some "run n gun" type exercises when the weather gets warmer this summer. When I first started looking at getting a chest rig or some way to mount my spare ammo on me for easier reloading I went to Cheaper Than Dirt and bought a 50 dollar cross draw vest from Condor. I wasn't too pleased with the quality and the rifle pouches and holster would flex way too much for my liking. Then a few months later I discovered 5.11 made a LBE vest where I could configure the entire thing the way I wanted to rather than being stuck with what the cross draw vest had. I went to the 5.11 website and started filling the shopping cart with the vest and pouches I thought would be useful for me. It came out to just over $140 bucks for everything.

I have it configured almost exactly like the cross draw vest except I was able to add a water bottle carrier which is great because its always a good idea to stay hydrated. I also was able to add my Ka-Bar knife to it as well. 5.11 also has their patented "slick stick" system on the various pouches they carry that makes it easy to attach and remove them. This is the best value I could find as far as load bearing equipment is concerned. They do make a chest rig if you don't want the vest. I went with the vest because I wanted put my sidearm on it and still needed room for at least four AR mags.

I put my order in on December 23, 2009 and got it on New Years Eve so it was pretty fast shipping too.

http://www.511tactical.com/Shop

K. Foster
02-07-2010, 15:39
5.11 isn't the best, but for the price it's a good buy.

billyblooshoes
02-08-2010, 23:27
Bid Daddy,

does the gun club have a website with any info? id be interested in checking these events out. i just finished my AR build and would love to get into some kind of match shooting like this for fun.