Affordable 10/22 accuracy improvements? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Affordable 10/22 accuracy improvements?

WEATHERBY460
02-04-2010, 14:36
I have a factory target model 10-22 (heavy barrel, laminated stock) and am sending the trigger off to a guy on ebay to get reworked. What else are some good affordable improvemnts to help this gun out. Thanks....

Clem Eastwood
02-04-2010, 17:25
search for "Nemo" on rimfirecentral. he can cut, chamber and crown your barrel.

wjv
02-05-2010, 12:03
+1 on the www.rimfirecentral.com

In just a few hours you can learn how to take a $200 plinker, and turn it into a $1,600 plinker. :supergrin:

Seriously though, lots of good info about rimfires and modifications on that site.

JFrame
02-05-2010, 13:17
+1 on the www.rimfirecentral.com (http://www.rimfirecentral.com)

In just a few hours you can learn how to take a $200 plinker, and turn it into a $1,600 plinker. :supergrin:

:rofl:

...Ain't THAT the truth! :supergrin:

Seriously though, lots of good info about rimfires and modifications on that site.

Totally agree... :)

Rooster Rugburn
02-05-2010, 23:29
There isn't a lot to say that hasn't been said. Even in 3 replies.

My 10/22 is about 6 years old, and hadn't really been shot much until lately. When it wouldn't shoot or feed, I realized why it hadn't been shot. Even now I don't have 1k rounds through it.

After finally getting it to shoot consistently (failures to fire are down to 1 in 100), accuracy went to crap. I am getting 6" groups at 25 yards. So instead of pissing away more money, I bought a Savage and have been impressed by the accuracy.

I bought the Savage new for less than $200 (less than what I've spent on 10/22 tweaks), and found trigger tips are RFC. After I did those tweaks, the trigger is wonderful. The trigger tweak, which consists of a shim and cutting a coil out of a spring, didn't cost me a dime. And it's a same hole shooter.

It might be cheaper and more productive to get a Marlin 60 or a Savage and let the 10/22 collect dust.

If you are going to struggle with the 10/22, then open an account at RFC and spend hours researching the tweaks. I have to admit though, that was somewhat a challenge with mine. Luckily, I live 5 miles from my club so I can run to the club to test the tweak, without losing much time or money. That at least took insult from injury.

WEATHERBY460
02-06-2010, 10:00
Whats some good paper punching ammo for these guns?

wjv
02-06-2010, 11:18
Hard to say. Buy one box each of 4-6 different ammo types and see what it likes. Truth is one brand will be a tack driver in one gun, and all over the paper in another gun of the same model.

RFPhoto
02-07-2010, 01:53
Volq auto bolt release and hammer/shims ($30). Replace factory barrel with GM 18" ($119)and ditch the factory stock for a Boyds ($150) and you have an excellent shooter.

slewfoot
02-07-2010, 03:52

Ain't that the truth. :rofl:

kirgi08
02-07-2010, 04:21
Whats some good paper punching ammo for these guns?

I like and prefer PMC Moderators.'08. :supergrin:

cop414
02-07-2010, 10:00
Weatherby460-
Rimfirecentral is where I got all the info to drop over 1K on my rifle, some of the mods though are free or next to nothing. Not sure what you're paying for the trigger work but I bet you can do it cheaper by yourself and you really learn how these things work plus when you do it yourself it is more satisfying. If you do decide to do that there are many tutiorials online that are great. The Power Custom hammer and adjustable sear kit worked wonders for my rifle. All the items I had posted for sale are for the most part gone, they would have been some nice affordable upgrades for you. Rimfirecentral has a pretty good for sale section though.
Here is the thread on my 10 22 ultimate. I say it's done, but there is a Leupold 3-9x33 AO rimfire scope that's been calling my name....

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167991

CCI standard vel provides good accuracy in mine, Wolf MT shoots just a bit better in my current VQ bbl but is 2x more expensive. I had a GM 16 inch 920 bbl that shot the CCI better than the wolf ammo, this bbl is now in the hands of forum member JD HHI 6092.
(Javier, have you had a chance to shoot it yet?)
Sgt Tim

WEATHERBY460
02-07-2010, 20:17
For $30 I could get a target trigger, is that a good idea, and $8 for a buffer.

Rooster Rugburn
02-08-2010, 10:20
A third party trigger is always an improvement. Some come with a heavier hammer spring intended to minimize misfires, and somehow reduce fliers.

If you want to cut to the chase, check this thread at RFC. It's a list of mostly simple mods and why they are needed.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251035

That's from this forum:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251035

Here are some more, I don't know why they are not included in the above forum. "Affordable" depends on your unique perspective.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123409

As for accuracy, some gunsmiths have a bolt rework they claim enhances accuracy.

http://community-2.webtv.net/RandyAtCPC/CPC1022BoltRework/

If you want that rifle to be consistent and accurate, plan on spending a lot of time at RFC. A Marlin or Savage can be had for the price of a lot of those tweaks.

SD Handgunner
02-08-2010, 11:18
Since you have the Ruger 10/22T there are a few things you can do. Depending on the level of accuracy you are after, #1 would be a trigger job. I have done over a half dozen of these on friends rifles and some turn out great, while others are just OK. The original parts are the key. Some have edges that are not square and even while some are really good. I have used the Volquartsen Custom Ruger Hammer on one but in all honesty it felt really mushy to me. Yes it was better than what was in it, but in the end I ended up polishing the Volquartsen Custom Ruger Hammer to do away with the mushiness.

#2 would be to Free Float the barrel so that from 2" forward of the barrel attaching V Block to the top of the forend the barrel does not touch the stock. I use a piece of PVC I had laying around here wrapped in sandpaper to open the barrel channel up. Once this is done you'll have to reseal the wood with a good sealer.

Lastly and probably the most important is to go out and buy a box or two of every brand and type of .22 LR ammo you can find. Under very controlled conditions shoot at least 10 - 5 shot groups with each brand and type of .22 LR ammo you are able to obtain. Most people just refuse to believe how ammo sensative .22 LR firearms are. Back in 1990 when our indoor shooting range opened I had lots and lots of shooters asking me what was the best .22 LR ammo to buy for their gun. My answer was always the same, you won't know until you test it all.

I then through the course of the gun show season picked up 23 different brands & types of .22LR Ammo. I then used my own .22's, plus I borrowed 5 others and did an extensive accuracy test. The bottom line was no two .22's actually shot the best with the same brand & type of ammo.

The bottom line is you can go as mild or as wild as you want with a Ruger 10/22. In the end only you can be the judge of what level of accuracy you are pleased with and the amount of $$$ spent to achieve it. This not only applies to the 10/22 but a lot of different rimfires.

As for me, I do not have a Rimfire that isn't a Ruger. All of my Rugers have been tweaked on one way or another, but then that is just me as I don't own a firearm that hasn't been tweaked in one way or another.

Larry