Dick's Sporting Goods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Sporting Goods

southernshooter
02-04-2010, 16:56
Went to Dick's Sporting Goods today. Guy behind the counter was giving shotgun buying advise to the guy ahead of me. When it was my turn I asked for 2 boxes of hornady 300 grain sabot slugs. He started telling me that those hornady slugs are more expensive ($12.95) but are worth it. I could see that the only other brand of sabot slugs were also $12.95 so I said "Oh, you have some cheaper? He hands me a box of Remington rifled slugs. Had to explain the difference. He said "But these Remingtons say "rifled slugs" on the box" Told him "yeah, for smoothbore unrifled shotgun barrels, see on the Hornady sabots it says "For rifled barrels only" Guy was about 60, if you don't know, you don't know I guess.

vafish
02-04-2010, 22:40
DSG gun counter guys are only slightly more informed then your average Walmart gun counter person.

Southern Patriot
02-05-2010, 09:09
I have had good service at Dick's. I know the one you are talking about. I will bet he was talking about how good his 20 gauge is.......

All seem to be nice guys there, better than the other sporting goods stores that sell firearms near there.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-05-2010, 22:55
remember ----opinions are like butt holes....everyone has one!!

faawrenchbndr
02-05-2010, 23:11

Outstanding post,.....thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Brandon G
02-06-2010, 00:31

and everyone's stinks but your own lol :tongueout:

Isaiah1412
02-06-2010, 00:44
In my experience Dick's is one of the most aptly name stores I've shopped in.

southernshooter
02-06-2010, 09:53
In my experience Dick's is one of the most aptly name stores I've shopped in.

Kinda like Tombstone pizza.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
02-06-2010, 10:50
One thing good about Dick's and Gander mountain...they usually have what you want, but at a higher price.

Glocker08
02-06-2010, 23:40

Dang it. I was just about to head to the fridge for a snack. :supergrin:

CBennett
02-07-2010, 05:49
One thing good about Dick's and Gander mountain...they usually have what you want, but at a higher price.

yeah...thats why they still have it its $50-100 MORE than you can get it anywhere else :rofl:

Only thing ive ever seen there thats a deal are SOME used guns and some .22 pistols and rifles(which are about the same price everywhere ive looked).

TangoFoxtrot
02-07-2010, 08:19
DSG gun counter guys are only slightly more informed then your average Walmart gun counter person.

Exactly correct !

9lock
02-07-2010, 09:27

I hate surveys, Well at least he has a job

Speaking of which that is pretty much what it is "a job" and could be seen a month later at a shoe store, I get the same thing around here and everytime you go back you see new faces, the wealth of info (service) is lost when big corporations force out ma & pa shops who share the interests as the costumers.

method
02-07-2010, 09:38
Hey, you asked for cheaper. Those Remington slugs will go through a rifled bore just fine, might be pretty accurate too. Unless you're in a shotgun only hunting area and regularly get presented with 100 yard+ shots, there's very little point to a rifled shotgun and sabot ammo.

Don't act like this place is nothing but gun and ammo gurus. I see plenty of references to using sabot slugs in smoothbore guns.

southernshooter
02-07-2010, 14:04
Hey, you asked for cheaper. Those Remington slugs will go through a rifled bore just fine, might be pretty accurate too. Unless you're in a shotgun only hunting area and regularly get presented with 100 yard+ shots, there's very little point to a rifled shotgun and sabot ammo.

Don't act like this place is nothing but gun and ammo gurus. I see plenty of references to using sabot slugs in smoothbore guns.

I have read that rifled slugs lead a rifled shotgun barrel pretty bad and that buckshot doesn't give a good pattern in a rifled barrel. You really never know until you try it yourself. Going to experiment with reg. slugs and buckshot on my next range trip.

method
02-07-2010, 18:54
Definitely more fun to find out for yourself, but here's some good reading till you get the chance.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot43.htm
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Rifled slugs probably will leave a bit of lead in the grooves, but for the money saved, I'll put in a little elbow grease.

southernshooter
02-08-2010, 08:53
Definitely more fun to find out for yourself, but here's some good reading till you get the chance.

Rifled slugs probably will leave a bit of lead in the grooves, but for the money saved, I'll put in a little elbow grease.

Thanks, very interesting.

ScrappyDoo
02-08-2010, 11:12
The Dick's sporting goods 10-15 mins away from me has been helpful cause they have excellent prices on the small , basic selection of some big names rifles and shotguns.

Took at trip down US 1 to PA looking for a specific magazine for my .22LR Remington 597...

This OTHER Dick's is a revelation. Had an armory full of ALL KINDS of cool stuff, awesome stuff, redonk prices... As a result I got the new Mossberg son!

Staff was HELPFUL, friendly, cool, knowledgeable, and went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure I got what I wanted, all the accessorys I wanted & NEEDED but not EXTRA JUNK, made sure I got 10% discount on everything, etc.

Except the one guy out of the 5 who was doing my paperwork ... "Uh, the background check can't be lied to ... you said BLONDE Hair. You ain't got no blonde hair. That's damn BROWN " ... Look man it's got darker as I got older...

"So you lie?"

F*#%# you dude. Really?

gnepig
02-08-2010, 13:04

Good links, Thanx for that...

The Dick's Sporting Goods near me has a mix of people who could or could'nt give a *****, but all have been nice so far. They have one kid who is super nice and actually has an interest in firearms and a good basic knowlage of them and actualy collects them, I like when he helps us.
The prices at Dick's are more than Walmart, but way less than the local gun shops= I try to remind myself of that when I find ammo there that WM seems to never have.

Hedo1
02-08-2010, 15:24
I've shot deer with the Hornandy 300 gr. sabot. Drops them like a lightning bolt. My favorite sabot is the Winchester Dual Bond 375gr. at 1800fps. It's accurate and hits as hard as you will ever need for a whitetail. My Mossberg 12 ga. rifled barrel groups either the Winchester and Hornandy slugs at about 2" at 100yds. from the prone position and on a rest.

Non sabot slugs group 3-4" at 100 yds from the same gun, they hit pretty hard too.

nastytrigger
02-08-2010, 17:41
I've had pretty good luck at Dick's. I bought my Mossberg 590 from there. I'll go for ammo if I'm desperate, but sometimes I'll buy cleaning supplies too. Only other stuff I buy at Dick's is Under Armour clothing... :embarassed:

glockhead13
02-17-2010, 18:42
I have had good service at Dick's. I know the one you are talking about. I will bet he was talking about how good his 20 gauge is.......

All seem to be nice guys there, better than the other sporting goods stores that sell firearms near there.

I have had good service at Dick's :rofl:

2afreedom
02-18-2010, 01:55
I wouldn't get too excited about it. If the guy is around 60 he probably grew up using the Foster slugs and hasn't had any experience with the sabots. Hey it's retail-be glad he a) acknowledged your presence as a customer and b) knows that slugs go in a shotgun.

Spitzerbullet
02-18-2010, 09:03
At least they had someone to wait on customers. I went to three Sports Authoritys this week looking for a Marlin 795 that they claim to have on sale for $120. None of them had one. At two stores I had to pry a salesperson away from the front register to check stock and the third store had no one on the floor for the ten minutes or so I was in the place. Unfortunately that's typical of most stores these days.