PMAGS - can be kept loaded? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PMAGS - can be kept loaded?

MIJoe
02-04-2010, 19:57
Greetings and sorry if this has been discussed before.

Just bought t a few PMAGS after hearing mostly great comments abolut them.

My question is: can they be left fully loaded for extended periods of time?

Thanks for input.

Joe

mvician
02-04-2010, 20:01
Yes, just keep the cover snapped in place, it take the tension off of the feedlips.

AK_Stick
02-04-2010, 20:04
Yep.

I don't use the covers, except on mags that are in long term storage. My 7 ready mags, and anytime I'm down range, my mags sit open. I've yet to have any issues.

javelinadave
02-04-2010, 20:14
I have musket magazines that I loaded in Valley Forge.

http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/revolution-images/images/valley-forge.gif

I would use the covers to save the feed lips on a P-Mag but other than that they should outlast you.:whistling:

faawrenchbndr
02-04-2010, 20:35
Yep.

I don't use the covers, except on mags that are in long term storage. My 7 ready mags, and anytime I'm down range, my mags sit open. I've yet to have any issues.

'Stick,.....do you down-load them, or keep them at 30?

AK_Stick
02-04-2010, 20:46

I've never seen a reason to download magazines. If I'm going to be in a gunfight, I want to bring every round I can get my grubby little fingers on. And I've yet to have a mag go bad from storage.

I do have a female CE who loads 28' so she can chamber magazines in her M-4 though. It makes life easier on her, so she runs with it.

MIJoe
02-04-2010, 20:47
Thanks guys for all input

faawrenchbndr
02-04-2010, 20:54

I've never seen a reason to download magazines. If I'm going to be in a gunfight, I want to bring every round I can get my grubby little fingers on. And I've yet to have a mag go bad from storage.

I do have a female CE who loads 28' so she can chamber magazines in her M-4 though. It makes life easier on her, so she runs with it.

I never could figure that out,.......Years ago we had al old crusty
MSgt that always preached about down-loading mags.
Of course he cut his teeth in Viet Nam, so he had MANY wierd habits.

AK_Stick
02-04-2010, 20:58
With the older USGI mags, springs and followers, it can help reduce double feeds. For weaker shooters or inexperienced guys, it can help if you don't ram a mag home well enough on a closed bolt. Some of the older guys who were in charge when I first showed up were hard about that.

With the new springs and magpul followers, its really a concern of the past. I've run 27 rounds of ball, 3 rounds of tracer in the bottom in every duty mag I've ever carried. I've yet to have a problem attributed to loading to advertised capacity.

reaper8154
02-04-2010, 21:04
I keep the Pmags in my active shooter rig loaded with 28 and have not had any problems. I guess I would use the cover for long term storage, but don't think it would really be necessary.

faawrenchbndr
02-04-2010, 21:08
That all maks perfect sense,..... most of us didn't listen to Big Mac much.
He was a great guy but way superstitious. He did save my *** from a viper
in '90

RMTactical
02-04-2010, 21:33
I keep mine loaded. No problems so far.

Ljunatic
02-04-2010, 21:58
IIRC, the Pmag was designed specifically to overcome the issue of fully inserting a magazine filled to capacity

TrooperBrian
02-04-2010, 22:18
What would you gentlemen consider to be "long term"? A few weeks? 10 years?

I always download one just to make it easier to seat the mag on a closed bolt.

RMTactical
02-04-2010, 23:22

6 months or longer?

crazypilot
02-05-2010, 00:14
I keep mine loaded to 30 all the time. If I use it, I'll reload them when I get home. I don't like empty mags. I've never had issues loading them with a closed bolt either.

AK_Stick
02-05-2010, 01:24

I've got 7 P-mags that are my home "duty mags" they've been loaded about a year now. I'll probably take them out, shoot them, and reload them in the next few months.

I have another P-mag thats been my first in the gun mag, for over two years now.

The rest get loaded and stored till they go to the range, usually every 3-6 weeks, and then the cycle starts over.

reaper8154
02-05-2010, 09:57
I keep mine loaded to 30 all the time. If I use it, I'll reload them when I get home. I don't like empty mags. I've never had issues loading them with a closed bolt either.

You wont have issues with a tac reload and pmags. I have had and seen a few issues with tac reloads and USGI mags.

I load my pmags to 28 partly from habit, and partly because I also have loaded USGI mags in my patrol car. When you shoot somebody they count all of the rounds left in your mags to figure out how many times you shot. Just simpler for me to keep them all at 28.

RossBotha
02-05-2010, 10:08
P-mags are great, 28 per mag makes sense. Seats easier and it's still plenty.

CW Mock
02-05-2010, 11:48
You wont have issues with a tac reload and pmags. I have had and seen a few issues with tac reloads and USGI mags.

I load my pmags to 28 partly from habit, and partly because I also have loaded USGI mags in my patrol car. When you shoot somebody they count all of the rounds left in your mags to figure out how many times you shot. Just simpler for me to keep them all at 28.

Yeah, I do the same thing, only at 30. With the some bean counters around, they don't strike me as smart enough to realize or remember that a 30 round magazine was downloaded to 28. So I load to 30, and forget about them. Plus, I like all the ammo I can bring.

I haven't had problems seating USGI magazines fully loaded into my rifles. I just give them a little pressure/bump, and give them a tug to make sure they seated.

Been thinking about PMAGs now for a while, but I don't know if they will fit in my S&W. Been looking for somebody that has them to test it out.

reaper8154
02-05-2010, 16:53
Yeah, I do the same thing, only at 30. With the some bean counters around, they don't strike me as smart enough to realize or remember that a 30 round magazine was downloaded to 28. So I load to 30, and forget about them. Plus, I like all the ammo I can bring.

I haven't had problems seating USGI magazines fully loaded into my rifles. I just give them a little pressure/bump, and give them a tug to make sure they seated.

Been thinking about PMAGs now for a while, but I don't know if they will fit in my S&W. Been looking for somebody that has them to test it out.

They should fit in a Smith. I had a problem with my Oly not having a bevel on the magwell all the way around. 10 minutes with a dremeled fixed it, but I highly doubt that you will have that issue. I'm pretty sure Smith even makes a "Magpul Moe" line of rifles.

WayaX
02-05-2010, 17:38
Last March I took 3 pmags that had been loaded for a year and ran them through my Sig 556 with no problems. I did not download them, but I did keep the dust covers on.

I don't keep pmags ready to go often though. Mainly because I have magazines I like more.

Alaskapopo
02-05-2010, 17:53
With the older USGI mags, springs and followers, it can help reduce double feeds. For weaker shooters or inexperienced guys, it can help if you don't ram a mag home well enough on a closed bolt. Some of the older guys who were in charge when I first showed up were hard about that.

It also helps when your dog tired and the adrenalin dump kicks in. I value absolute reliability over 2 rounds of capacity personally. So I download all my AR mags by 2 rounds. But to each their own.

Six Feet Under
02-05-2010, 19:05
I keep as many of my mags loaded as I can, P-Mag or not. You can leave them loaded, with or without the dust covers, for as long as you want. The constant loading/unloading of mags is what wears down the spring.

Alaskapopo
02-05-2010, 23:19
I keep as many of my mags loaded as I can, P-Mag or not. You can leave them loaded, with or without the dust covers, for as long as you want. The constant loading/unloading of mags is what wears down the spring.

I am not enginer but I do know from personal experience that having your mags loaded for long periods does cause the springs to take a set. We see this a lot in police work as our mags are loaded and seldom used except at qualificaitons. Glock mags in particular. I noticed if you kept them fully loaded the mags would stop locking the slide back after just 6 months to a year. If you downloaded by just one round they lasted pretty much forever. Same thing on Shotguns. If you down load the tube by one no spring issues. If you keep it full you need to relplace the spring every 6 months to a year. So I would have to say based on my experience the quote above is false.
Pat

Kentak
02-06-2010, 00:10
The reason for the special covers on the Pmags is to take the constant pressure off of the polymer feed lips. Not using them on a loaded mag *might* lead to deformation of the lips over time and feeding problems. Use them. Simple as that.

markman
02-06-2010, 06:01
FWIW, I've read this and similar responses on various forums:

PMAGS do not have sensitive feed lips. The cover is insurance but according to MAGPUL testing, is totally unnecessary to prevent feed-lip creep.

Kentak
02-06-2010, 10:07
Product support notes on Magpul's website states:

The impact cover is designed to prevent damage to the magazine (i.e. feed lip creep and body swelling) that occur during long-term loaded stoarge.

Elsewhere, they state that their testing has shown the Pmags to be superior to other plastic mags regarding feed lip deformation.

It does not state that the Pmag is not subject to deformation.

All that being said, in real life, the feed lip issue is probably minimal. However, if you're going to keep loaded Pmags around, why the hell *not* use the covers as insurance?

furioso2112
02-06-2010, 11:59
One of the earliest batches of PMags has issues with the feed lips, and MagPul replaced any mags sent back, were realtively proactive with the situation, which they claimed was actually due to a machining flaw or the polymer mix (can't remember which, but there were many threads on it at that other site). They included the covers afterwards to increase the already good design's reliability during long term storage; the cover also keeps some debris from getting down into the mag. Imagine dumping a loaded bag of mags into a debirs-laden environment - I would rather have the cover on than off.

I have some PMags that I have kept loaded over 18 months, 30 rounds - just shot them last weekend, no problems. 'bout all I can say for them on that issue. Not a definitive statement, but at least another anecdote of positive results on the topic at hand.

markman
02-06-2010, 14:53
Final answer, straight from the horse's mouth: the impact/dust cover is just a precaution. The PMAG polymers are very new, so we didn't have the luxury of 50+ years of material T&E like aluminum and steel magazine manufacturers. Are they necessary? I suppose that depends - if you're going to use your magazines as paperweights for the next 20 years, there really isn't any reason not to use the impact cover. If you're actually going to use your PMAGs as intended, the cover is probably overkill.

Personally, I have snap covers on my stockpiled mags, and no covers on the mags I shoot. Like I said before - we have some of the first prototypes sitting at the office, loaded with 30 rounds, no snap cover, and it's been almost 18 months. If your PMAG feedlips creep, send them back - I want to see it, because you'll be the first to report such a problem

From post # 42

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11786&page=3

markman
02-06-2010, 16:46
From their website:

Multi-use Impact Cover to protect feedlips from impact damage, keep dust and dirt out of the magazine during storage, and can be used as a tool for easy cartridge removal

The PMAG (Polymer MAGazine) is a lightweight 5.56x45 NATO, M-16 compatible magazine. It features an advanced impact resistant polymer construction, a pop-off Impact Cover for storage, and an easy to dissasemble design with a flared floorplate for positive magazine extraction from pouches. PMAG...

Wild Gene
02-06-2010, 21:03
Good question, good answers.

I find it interesting that you get enciteful (sp.), intelligent responses on this forum compared to a few others out there. Not taking away from the smack talk and S.A. comments to keep things lively, but no real out right weenie faces.

Gene

Aquanewt
02-07-2010, 02:15
AK POPO, I don't doubt your info but I've was issued a G17 that was replaced with a G22. I bought my own G26 and then a G27. I always loaded the mags to the max, loaded the chamber and topped off the mag in the pistol. I'vegot a couple of PMAGs that are in my 'fun gun' case as well a s some by Brownell's all have worked fine

Wild Gene
02-07-2010, 11:09
AK POPO, I don't doubt your info but I've was issued a G17 that was replaced with a G22. I bought my own G26 and then a G27. I always loaded the mags to the max, loaded the chamber and topped off the mag in the pistol. I'vegot a couple of PMAGs that are in my 'fun gun' case as well a s some by Brownell's all have worked fine

If the magazine is loaded in the weapon, there is down pressure on the next round, similar to the little cover thingy on the Pmag, right? So that magazine should not be affected like the ones on your belt...

Just a random thought.

SIGShooter
02-14-2010, 23:15
Edited post because I can.

TheDog21
03-19-2010, 16:19
Has anyone ever used a magazine coupler with the PMAGs?

Alaskapopo
03-19-2010, 16:40

I used to hate mag couplers before P mags because the mags would slip and never stay in the same place. Now with P mags you can use the Firebird couplers that replace the base plate which do not allow the mags to shift. Now I love couplers.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Magazines/30203030.jpg
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27286/Product/AR_15_M16_FIREBIRD_PMAG_COUPLER
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Magazines/sideview.jpg

The nice thing about couplers is they make great mono pods when shooting prone or off a barricade. They also speed up reloads.
Below is a reload using my 30 round mag couplers and a bad lever. 1.71 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZkGNFa66vs

RUSH2112
03-20-2010, 00:44
I don't like empty mags.

I know that's a month-old post but **** that's a great sentence :cool:

lawman800
03-21-2010, 01:10
How does keeping the cover on relieve any pressure on the feed lips? Doesn't look like the covers can exert enough pressure to affect anything on the magazine.

I ran mine today with 30 and I kept it loaded with 30 with no problems. Great mags, btw.

Alaskapopo
03-21-2010, 04:42
How does keeping the cover on relieve any pressure on the feed lips? Doesn't look like the covers can exert enough pressure to affect anything on the magazine.

I ran mine today with 30 and I kept it loaded with 30 with no problems. Great mags, btw.
The covers actually take all the stress off the feed lips. The cover pushes the top rounds down a touch so they don't even touch the feed lips.
Pat

Kingfisher
03-21-2010, 15:30

I have been using the Pro Mag couplers for a few months now and they work great. I got the 4 pack (couples 8 Pmags) for 15.00.

Kingfisher
03-21-2010, 15:35

They should fit your S&W fine, mine actually came with Pmags and the coupon for 5 free Pmags.

Unless the rifle is an older model or something.