Glock light trigger spring PLAIN AND SIMPLE! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock light trigger spring PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

tercel89
02-05-2010, 09:54
I am so confused as to all kinds of Glock trigger springs that make the trigger light and all . I have searched and all and got SSSOOOOO confused with all the crap .
My questions is this : What is the most RELIABLE light weight trigger spring that is available for a G-17 ? And while we are on it , a G-26 .
I want something that is very light yet RELIABLE .
I have carried a Glock since 1994 and have had the stock triggers and my brother got into Ruger 10/22's and he is putting incredible light triggers in them . Very awesome and so I thought I should do this to my Glocks.
Any help is appreciated :cool:

Dingus
02-05-2010, 11:23
For reliability, you best bet is a factory "-" connector. It will reduce trigger pull by about 1#.

tercel89
02-05-2010, 11:32
For reliability, you best bet is a factory "-" connector. It will reduce trigger pull by about 1#.

what is a" factory "-" connector. "

tercel89
02-05-2010, 11:34
A factory "-" connector . What is it ?

3rdgen40
02-05-2010, 11:38
No offense....but you probably are better off not messing with your trigger.Take it to a Glock Armorer or gunsmith.

ETA:"Very light" trigger pull in a carry gun is a very bad idea.

FillYerHands
02-05-2010, 11:49
No offense....but you probably are better off not messing with your trigger.Take it to a Glock Armorer or gunsmith.

+1 on both counts.

MAJORSDAD
02-06-2010, 08:32
what is a" factory "-" connector. "

Just get one of the factory 3.5 lb connectors and that will give you a little lighter but reliable trigger pull.

Jager1147
02-06-2010, 14:44
If the gun is a range or target gun, a Wolff 4lb. striker spring along with a lightened striker will be reliable, but stock strikers are best with heavier springs. You need to know how springs affect each other in the Glock before you start tinkering.

Check here http://vanekcustom.com/index.html for drop in triggers and parts.

ChrisJn
02-06-2010, 20:04

A "-" connector is 4.5lb. A "+" connector is 8.5lb. The markings can be found at the top of the connector. The standard connector, which has no markings, is 5.5lb

tercel89
02-06-2010, 23:53

I can and do detail strips all my glocks one time every year so I am very familiar with the parts , just not the names.

tercel89
02-06-2010, 23:55
I have never pulled the trigger on a 3.5lb trigger in a glock before . Does it get rid or reduce that last bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release?

tercel89
02-06-2010, 23:59
Also , I dont want it to be so light that it will cause a light primer strike or is that possible ? Doesnt look like it would since the striker has its own spring .

ChrisJn
02-07-2010, 00:15
...... so I am very familiar with the parts , just not the names.

see my previous post for the designation of the parts you are asking about and ,no, neither an OEM 3.5lb or Glock 4.5lb connector, will, in my opinion get rid of or reduce that last "bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release".

tercel89
02-07-2010, 07:25
see my previous post for the designation of the parts you are asking about and ,no, neither an OEM 3.5lb or Glock 4.5lb connector, will, in my opinion get rid of or reduce that last "bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release".

SOrry about sounding dumb , I just found out what you were talking about regarding the "-" and "+" .

So you think the 4.5 will make that big of a difference ?
I need to find an animation of how the connector functions. To me , so far , it looks like the coonector just sits still and holds tension on the trigger spring . Is this coorect ? If so or not , then how does the connector control trigger poundage ?

ChrisJn
02-07-2010, 09:07
SOrry about sounding dumb , I just found out what you were talking about regarding the "-" and "+" .

So you think the 4.5 will make that big of a difference ?
I need to find an animation of how the connector functions. To me , so far , it looks like the coonector just sits still and holds tension on the trigger spring . Is this coorect ? If so or not , then how does the connector control trigger poundage ?

No,Tercel, I do NOT think it will make that BIG of a difference, but it WILL reduce the tension by about 1lb. Read my post again.

As far as control is concerned, if you were able to put all three connectors side by side you would notice a slightly different angle of the metal at the top

tercel89
02-07-2010, 12:35
No,Tercel, I do NOT think it will make that BIG of a difference, but it WILL reduce the tension by about 1lb. Read my post again.

As far as control is concerned, if you were able to put all three connectors side by side you would notice a slightly different angle of the metal at the top

Oh ok , so when standing side by side they will have different angles or so ? So this causes the same spring in all 3 configurations to have different tensions ?

ChrisJn
02-07-2010, 13:18
Oh ok , so when standing side by side they will have different angles or so ? So this causes the same spring in all 3 configurations to have different tensions ?

That is my understanding, yes.

tercel89
02-07-2010, 15:31
That is my understanding, yes.

thanks , you been a big help :cool: And you other guys too .

JohnKSa
02-07-2010, 21:53
Oh ok , so when standing side by side they will have different angles or so ? So this causes the same spring in all 3 configurations to have different tensions ?The coil trigger spring in the Glock actually pulls on the trigger in the direction of the trigger pull and therefore a lighter trigger spring will actually make the trigger pull harder. If you want to lighten the trigger pull by altering the trigger spring you will have to go to an extra power trigger spring. That's not the whole story but that's a start.

You could also alter the firing pin spring but I personally don't think that's such a good idea for a self-defense gun. Especially not for a self-defense gun owned by a person who doesn't have even the most basic knowledge of how the system he's altering works.

The connector ramp slope has zero effect on trigger spring tension, the different slope on the ramps affects how much force is required to move the trigger bar down out of engagement with the firing pin lug. A steeper slope means less mechanical advantage and therefore a harder pull. A more gentle slope means more mechanical advantage and therefore a lighter pull.

If you have GOT to alter something you can change out the connector for a "-" connector. It won't make a huge difference (which is probably a good thing) but it will make the trigger a little lighter. You can find procedures on youtube that will show you how to swap out the connector. Some of them are even reasonably accurate but some leave out important information and some demonstrate improper techniques--like simply hammering pins out of the frame.

My advice to you is to go buy a 10/22 and have your brother put an "incredible light trigger" in it for you and leave your Glock alone. The trigger arrangement that came in your Glock is adequately light for a self-defense gun and is not an impediment to practical accuracy for anyone who is willing to put in a little bit of practice time at the range.

ChrisJn
02-08-2010, 07:39
......The trigger arrangement that came in your Glock is adequately light for a self-defense gun and is not an impediment to practical accuracy for anyone who is willing to put in a little bit of practice time at the range.

Well said!

tercel89
02-08-2010, 22:40
You know what , just forget it . Forget I asked . End of line .

downtown
02-09-2010, 05:16
I had a 3.5lb trigger on my previous G23 and I like it. Noticeable difference but not too light. Still had all the creep, but I guess you might want that for self defense/carry. Not like my 10/22's trigger as when you put your finger on the trigger and think real hard and it fires. By the way, I'm the brother with the "incredible light trigger" :tongueout:

Duck of Death
02-09-2010, 18:10
If you know what you're doing a 100% reliable 2lb min take up trigger is possible. It's easy to do, few know how.

cleatis1234
02-09-2010, 18:16
I have never pulled the trigger on a 3.5lb trigger in a glock before . Does it get rid or reduce that last bit of creep and poundage just as the striker is about to release?

The Ghost Rocket connector works really well for this. Smooth, even, constant pull, with all overtravel eliminated.

I put this, an extra power trigger spring (lightens trigger pull) and 4 lb striker spring and reduced power firing pin safety spring (not sure if this particular spring does anything, but it only costs about two bucks).

Combine these parts, total cost under $35.00 with a simple polishing of all contact points and you have a really nice trigger, one I've had 100% reliability in two guns with.

recycooler
02-09-2010, 18:26
Gt is generally a nice place,what happened here guys?The OP is not looking to you to tell him what he can or shouldn't do with HIS gun,He just had some basic questions we all end up having about our guns from time to time.I think modifying your gun is fine. You guys treated him poorly.Sheesh( is that still a word?)

recycooler
02-09-2010, 18:33
[quote=cleatis1234;14721290]The Ghost Rocket connector works really well for this. Smooth, even, constant pull, with all overtravel eliminated.

http://www.ghostinc.com/

there is alot of good info and pictures on the ghost website

I only have 1 gun,I carry it and shoot at the range weekly.I have the ghost rocket trigger in it and it works great.

downtown
02-09-2010, 19:19
Gt is generally a nice place,what happened here guys?The OP is not looking to you to tell him what he can or shouldn't do with HIS gun,He just had some basic questions we all end up having about our guns from time to time.I think modifying your gun is fine. You guys treated him poorly.Sheesh( is that still a word?)

Well said my friend. :thumbsup:

tercel89
02-09-2010, 22:38

Thanks . I appreciate that . I am just a guy that has "tinkered" with things since I was 12 yrs old . Just like some very well known inventers :whistling: .
I know EXACTLY what I am am doing when taking apart a gun . I am just trying to learn a little more about my gun .
Everyone has to start somewhere .
This forum is for us to learn and have good fellowship, not act like kids. I deal with enough adults acting like kids durrng my work. I dont need it here .

JohnKSa
02-09-2010, 23:09
I'm a tinkerer myself. The first night I owned a Glock pistol I figured out how detail strip it on my own and took it completely apart.

BUT, I didn't modify it until I figured out how it worked.

There is a big difference between a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a centerfire self-defense pistol. There's a difference in how they will be used. There is a difference in their manual of arms. There is a difference in the "safety quotient" (for lack of a better term) of the two guns in that it's a bit easier to control the muzzle of a rifle and a bit harder to get it pointed at parts of yourself. You don't holster a rifle. The Glock has no manual safety and the rifle does.

So even if we ignore the fact that you are "SSSOOOOO confused" about the basics of the Glock trigger system, the idea that it would be a good idea (or even possible) to put a trigger in a Glock that matches the nice drop-in trigger kits for the Ruger 10/22 has to be in question based on the huge differences in the two guns, how they work and how they will be used.

As for your expertise, you started off by emphasizing and re-emphasizing how confused you were about how Glock triggers worked. I'm not saying you have to be certified before you modify your gun, but it's a good idea to figure out the basics of the system you are modifying before you make up your mind about what you're going to do.

The combination of not understanding the system and the questionable reason for wanting to make the modification is a red flag in my opinion.

One inescapable fact of the forums is that when you ask for advice you don't get to choose who responds and who doesn't. I understand that you're unhappy that all the responses you received didn't cheer you on but you should consider that just because an answer isn't the answer you want doesn't mean it's not the right answer.This forum is for us to learn and have good fellowship, not act like kids.If you go back and read my post you will notice that I DID treat you like an adult and I did help you learn. You asked a question and I tried to help you learn--I provided you with a number of facts--more than any other single response on the thread. Then I provided you with a reasonable solution (which several others on this thread also suggested) and explained why I advised that solution.

I agree that we should not act like kids.

An adult would have responded to this thread by saying something like:

"Ok, I need to learn more about this and then decide if this modification is a good idea."

Someone acting like a child would have responded by saying something along the lines of:

I'm an expert. I know exactly what I'm doing. If you're not going to say what I want then just forget it!"

itsgottabeapit
02-10-2010, 01:57
for reliability I think I'd just get the Ghost Rocket. If you want a little more of a target shooter you could put in a Wolff 4 lbs striker spring. I'd go ahead and buy both at the same time since they are both pretty cheap and it will save on shipping down the road.

If you really want to learn about how the trigger system works and how you hone and polish it I highly suggest you get the Making Glocks Rock dvd by AGI. It is full of information for tinkerers like you. I have it and have learned a ton from it.

tercel89
02-10-2010, 08:02
for reliability I think I'd just get the Ghost Rocket. If you want a little more of a target shooter you could put in a Wolff 4 lbs striker spring. I'd go ahead and buy both at the same time since they are both pretty cheap and it will save on shipping down the road.

If you really want to learn about how the trigger system works and how you hone and polish it I highly suggest you get the Making Glocks Rock dvd by AGI. It is full of information for tinkerers like you. I have it and have learned a ton from it.

I know the light striker/firing pin spring would lighten it up really well , but It seems like it would also run the chance of light primer strikes . Do you think ?

Duck of Death
02-10-2010, 14:23
*QUOTE*
I want something that is very light yet RELIABLE .

OK here you go:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549549&highlight=Duck+Death+trigger
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52311&hl=JoeD

Jager1147
02-10-2010, 21:10
I know the light striker/firing pin spring would lighten it up really well , but It seems like it would also run the chance of light primer strikes . Do you think ?

No, the lightened striker is more reliable with a 4 lb. striker spring than a stock striker with the same spring.

Taken from another post:
stock striker + light striker spring = LIGHT STRIKES
stock striker + stock striker spring = NORMAL STRIKES
lightweight striker + light striker spring = NORMAL STRIKES

tercel89
02-10-2010, 21:18
No, the lightened striker is more reliable with a 4 lb. striker spring than a stock striker with the same spring.

Taken from another post:
stock striker + light striker spring = LIGHT STRIKES
stock striker + stock striker spring = NORMAL STRIKES
lightweight striker + light striker spring = NORMAL STRIKES

"lightweight striker + light striker spring = NORMAL STRIKES "
That just seems kinda weird to me . Looks like it would make light strikes on the primer.