AR 9mm carbine thoughts.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR 9mm carbine thoughts....

Evans9
02-05-2010, 12:07
Anyone own one? Likes, dislikes, and general input welcome! Thinking about buying one.....
Thanks!

ronin.45
02-05-2010, 12:35
I have a rock river 9mm AR. It is awesome. I have won several three gun matches and carbine competitions with it. I run Promag polymer mags. They run flawlessly until the feed lips crack. I started with 8 and over the last 5,000rds have had 3 fail. Luckily they are cheap so once they fail I toss them.

billwade
02-05-2010, 12:50
I have a low serial # Colt. It shoots great but only likes factory mags. I am going to try some of the c-product mag to see how they work. They are a third of the price of Colt mags.

Jon_R
02-05-2010, 12:56
I have one I built from a Model 1 Sales kit a couple years ago. I don't know who made the components but it works great. I primarily use C-Products Mags in it but it also works with Pro-Mags. The Pro-Mags being plastic swell slightly when fully loaded making them a little harder to seat. It mostly get used as the rifle for my kids at 3-Gun. I run it some to burn 9 vs. .223. A lot of shooters use modified Uzi mags but I am happy with the c-products ones and they are not that expensive.

I think the mag block is RR but not certain. The bolt is Rock River.

I am going to do an SBR version when my tax stamp comes back.

Alaskapopo
02-05-2010, 14:32
Anyone own one? Likes, dislikes, and general input welcome! Thinking about buying one.....
Thanks!

I had a RRA 9mm. It took a while to get it running right. Basically I bought it for shooting side matches in the winter at the indoor range. But I sold it because we did not shoot many side matches and my 22lr AR build I did is way cheaper to shoot. The 9mm is a waste of time in the AR unless you have a very specific need like shooting at an indoor range for IDPA and USPSA side matches. I am surprised someone said they have shot three gun with their 9mm. They must have been close range matches.
Pat

Jon_R
02-05-2010, 15:07
I had a RRA 9mm. It took a while to get it running right. Basically I bought it for shooting side matches in the winter at the indoor range. But I sold it because we did not shoot many side matches and my 22lr AR build I did is way cheaper to shoot. The 9mm is a waste of time in the AR unless you have a very specific need like shooting at an indoor range for IDPA and USPSA side matches. I am surprised someone said they have shot three gun with their 9mm. They must have been close range matches.
Pat

I am a match director of 3-gun and the deepest bay I have that I can use is 50 yards so we can't do very far. I shrink the targets is about the best I can do. I mostly got it for the kids to shoot 3-gun with. It is less intimidating the .223 for a new shooter. Probably recoils more but the flash and concussion of 9mm is not far from .22 for new shooters.

Alaskapopo
02-05-2010, 15:10
I am a match director of 3-gun and the deepest bay I have that I can use is 50 yards so we can't do very far. I shrink the targets is about the best I can do. I mostly got it for the kids to shoot 3-gun with. It is less intimidating the .223 for a new shooter. Probably recoils more but the flash and concussion of 9mm is not far from .22 for new shooters.

I find that last comment a bit strange. The 9mm does in deed recoil more. And the noise with the .223 is nothing I have every seen intimidated new shooters personally. But then again I make all my students wear ear protection. :supergrin:
Pat

Jon_R
02-05-2010, 15:16
I find that last comment a bit strange. The 9mm does in deed recoil more. And the noise with the .223 is nothing I have every seen intimidated new shooters personally. But then again I make all my students wear ear protection. :supergrin:
Pat

I don't know in my case the new shooter was my 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter and they seemed to be reluctant to pick up the .223. Since then my daughter has no problem with the .223 my son has not asked to shoot it yet at a match. Whatever gets them in the match comfortably works for me. My daughter is at 20 Gauge, .223, and 9mm G17. She is asking to try the G35.

Archer-one
02-05-2010, 17:08
I just recently built up a 9mm carbine using a LWD 9G lower receiver (dedicated for Glock mags) and a Spike's Tactical top end. I absolutely love it. It runs great, fun and cheap(er) to shoot. Can't go wrong with a 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags. Until Lone Wolf comes out with complete carbines in different calibers, I may buy one of the new RRA .40 S&W top ends to use with my 9G receiver. I would be able to use G17,18 or 19 mags with my 9mm top end and use G22 mags with the .40. Win-win situation. :cool:

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/JeremiahJohnson78/Guns/9Gcubiclesecurity.jpg

Alaskapopo
02-05-2010, 17:16
I have a low serial # Colt. It shoots great but only likes factory mags. I am going to try some of the c-product mag to see how they work. They are a third of the price of Colt mags.

Don't try the C products they suck. When I got rid of mine the gun worked a lot better.
Pat

lawman800
02-05-2010, 23:15
I have always loved the AR platform in 9mm but of course, thanks to kommiefornistan's laws, I may be severely limited in my abilities to get one.

c5367
02-05-2010, 23:19
I have always loved the AR platform in 9mm but of course, thanks to kommiefornistan's laws, I may be severely limited in my abilities to get one.

9mm ARs do exist over there, I think. I have one coming from out that way in trade.

lawman800
02-05-2010, 23:28
AR, AK and all sorts of rifles exist in California, but I don't consider them real carbines.

You get your choice, either fix the magazine in place and have a pistol grip or use a Monster Man grip and have detachable 10 round magazines. It's disgusting and it's not a real AR.

c5367
02-06-2010, 06:13
AR, AK and all sorts of rifles exist in California, but I don't consider them real carbines.

You get your choice, either fix the magazine in place and have a pistol grip or use a Monster Man grip and have detachable 10 round magazines. It's disgusting and it's not a real AR.

No grandfather clause out there?

JDG
02-06-2010, 06:39
Love my RRA 9mm! CP mags work well for round nose ammo, but so much with HPs. Uzi mags have longer feed lips, that help with feeding shorter HP rounds. I've modded up my own Uzi mags, to match the factory mag, and it shoots all ammo without a hitch. 9mms have their place in Law Enforcement, MP5s are pretty common here in Michigan, great platform that wont break the bank(As bad):cool: The recoil is harder than its .223 brother, which supprised me.

Norcal911
02-06-2010, 08:40
I'm not against a 9MM AR for plinking and money saving, although they can be tricky to get running right. For the sake of friendly debate w/o any personal attacks or name calling, I disagree with JDG about the 9MM having a place in law enforcement. I'd like to hear your point of view on it. I can't think of a single time I would grab an MP5 or 9MM AR over my standard 5.56 carbine. Maybe if you needed it suppressed but that's hardly a typical law enforcement situation-Norcal911

ronin.45
02-06-2010, 09:13
I just recently built up a 9mm carbine using a LWD 9G lower receiver (dedicated for Glock mags) and a Spike's Tactical top end. I absolutely love it. It runs great, fun and cheap(er) to shoot. Can't go wrong with a 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags. Until Lone Wolf comes out with complete carbines in different calibers, I may buy one of the new RRA .40 S&W top ends to use with my 9G receiver. I would be able to use G17,18 or 19 mags with my 9mm top end and use G22 mags with the .40. Win-win situation. :cool:

I've been thinking about switching to this lower. You are the first one I've heard review it. I really want to use my Glock mags but am hesitant to switch out a gun that runs perfect.

lawman800
02-06-2010, 10:34
No grandfather clause out there?

Yes, there is.

You need to have your preban weapons registered prior to Dec. 2000 for AK weapons and Jan. 2001 for AR weapons. To be realistic, between the 1989 (first CA AW ban) and the 1994 (federal AW ban), there weren't too many weapons left floating around to be bought in the late 90s for people to grandfather. You also have to register the weapons with the State Attorney General for $20 each.

All regular capacity magazines also had to be owned prior to 2000. However, since 1994, regular capacity magazines have been running on a limited supply anyway since no new ones can be made or sold in CA so people were buying up a limited existing supply. I've seen 1 Glock magazine go for $75!

Even with all this, I have not seen CA become safer. Guess the criminals don't really care nor are they affected by the no flash hider, fixed 10 round magazine rules.

lawman800
02-06-2010, 10:35
I'm not against a 9MM AR for plinking and money saving, although they can be tricky to get running right. For the sake of friendly debate w/o any personal attacks or name calling, I disagree with JDG about the 9MM having a place in law enforcement. I'd like to hear your point of view on it. I can't think of a single time I would grab an MP5 or 9MM AR over my standard 5.56 carbine. Maybe if you needed it suppressed but that's hardly a typical law enforcement situation-Norcal911

Tell that to the DEA CLET who had standard issue 9mm Colts carbines.

JDG
02-06-2010, 11:11

Not sure why, thinking the 9mm has better glass penatration, less fragmentation shooting into cars. I pick up a ton of HK fired 9mm brass, our Boys practice with them alot.

edrobert
02-06-2010, 11:15
I absolutely love mine......tons of fun to shoot!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/IMG_3752.jpg

c5367
02-06-2010, 16:49
Yes, there is.

You need to have your preban weapons registered prior to Dec. 2000 for AK weapons and Jan. 2001 for AR weapons. To be realistic, between the 1989 (first CA AW ban) and the 1994 (federal AW ban), there weren't too many weapons left floating around to be bought in the late 90s for people to grandfather. You also have to register the weapons with the State Attorney General for $20 each.

All regular capacity magazines also had to be owned prior to 2000. However, since 1994, regular capacity magazines have been running on a limited supply anyway since no new ones can be made or sold in CA so people were buying up a limited existing supply. I've seen 1 Glock magazine go for $75!

Even with all this, I have not seen CA become safer. Guess the criminals don't really care nor are they affected by the no flash hider, fixed 10 round magazine rules.

That just stinks. I didn't know all that.
I guess this one I'm getting is a bit older than I thought then. It's got all the goodies (flash suppressor, detachable mags, pistol grip) except a collapsable stock.

Norcal911
02-07-2010, 07:40
Glass penetration could be one but 9MM is hardly optimum. No doubt there are agencies using them and using them well, I just can't think of a reason I'd use one over a 5.56. Most agencies and SWAT teams, at least in my area have totally abandoned the 9MM for sidearms, subguns, and carbines-Norcal911

patscrazy
02-07-2010, 08:56
Glass penetration could be one but 9MM is hardly optimum. No doubt there are agencies using them and using them well, I just can't think of a reason I'd use one over a 5.56. Most agencies and SWAT teams, at least in my area have totally abandoned the 9MM for sidearms, subguns, and carbines-Norcal911

This true for the department I work for and others I have trained with here in MA. We have several MP5's still in our armory but we only use M4's now. I think the North Hollywood shoot out back in 1997 changed alot of police departments way of thinking. Shotguns slugs/buckshot and 9mm can't penetrate body armor if the perp has it. Shorter barreled 5.56's are easily deployed, hold a ton of ammo, can penetrate body armor, and with the right ammo, i.e. bonded soft points, do very well against auto glass.

duncan
02-07-2010, 13:34
I love my Oly Arms 9mm rifle. Accurate, reliable, blowback, longest operating pistol cal manufacturer. With a block you can use $4 Stench mags. Maybe 50k down the tube.

Also have an Oly Arms 10mm and am building an Oly Arms 45 acp AR-15 Pistol (with a PISTOL lower) for serious CCW and a 15/20 round Uzi mag.

AK_Stick
02-07-2010, 13:53
Pat

I've seen it. Several new shooters have been wary of my 7.5 in noveske while I had it.

It was abusively loud, though it didn't kick hard. The quieter but slightly harder recoiling 9mm wasn't as scary to a new shooter.

Archer-one
02-10-2010, 15:53
I've been thinking about switching to this lower. You are the first one I've heard review it. I really want to use my Glock mags but am hesitant to switch out a gun that runs perfect.

Some say "if it aint broke, don't fix it"...well I'm more of the "fix it until it's broke!" :rofl:
Seriously, the interchangeability between pistol and carbine with the same mag is what's cool to me. And the Glock mags may be more reliable than the other options out there.

Also, the price is not all that bad for something that you can "pin on" and go. If it doesn't seem to operate as smooth or you seem to be starting over from square one from a tuning stand point......just pop the pins out and install your old lower receiver. The way I look at it is the worst that can happen is that you like it sooo much, you buy another 9mm top end to pair with it and have two different AR carbines in 9mm.....OR, buy a .40 top end and have two pistol cal shooting ARs.....ohhh, the possibilities! :supergrin:

Alaskapopo
02-10-2010, 16:26
I've seen it. Several new shooters have been wary of my 7.5 in noveske while I had it.

It was abusively loud, though it didn't kick hard. The quieter but slightly harder recoiling 9mm wasn't as scary to a new shooter.

Your right a 7.5 inch barrel Ar is very loud. But a standard 16 inch gun with a flash hider is not bad.
Pat

PlasticGuy
02-10-2010, 17:20
Your right a 7.5 inch barrel Ar is very loud. But a standard 16 inch gun with a flash hider is not bad.
Pat
It's all relative, Pat. Scores did decrease a bit for the lower scoring half of the force when they switched from 9mm Colts to 5.56 Colts several years ago (before I hired on with them). Many of the officers who were there for the switch still talk about how nice it was to have so little noise and blast when shooting eight 9mm carbines at the same time on the firing line. I'm like you in that I've been so hardened by 5.56 muzzle blast that it doesn't make much difference, but not everybody shoots as much as we do.

I did buy a Colt 9mm of my own, mostly for cheaper practice and shooting at indoor ranges, and for use on pistol rated steel. I use it a lot. It rarely sits long enough to cool off when I take it to the range to shoot with friends or co-workers. Everybody seems to like shooting it, no matter their skill level or budget. That doesn't necessarily make it the best tactical choice unless you're running a suppressor, but it is a valuable training tool of mine and could be pressed into service if need be. With +P and +P+ hollowpoints, it's not far off the .357 Magnum. While it won't penetrate armor, it is very terminally effective.

MistoGators
02-10-2010, 21:17
I saw a Rock River Arms one recently at a gun show for around $900 - I really regret not picking it up now. The Bushmaster one is supposedly carbon, but the lower receiver feels like plastic to me.

wingsprint
02-12-2010, 14:10
I saw a Rock River Arms one recently at a gun show for around $900 - I really regret not picking it up now. The Bushmaster one is supposedly carbon, but the lower receiver feels like plastic to me.

Or you could look at the Rock River RRA LAR-40 in 40 S&W. For whatever it is worth, the FBI just received their first batch of RRA LAR-40's.